Slumber Party Massacre (2021) - Hannah Gonera, Frances Sholto-Douglas, Alex McGregor, Mila Rayne, Reze-Tiana Wessels, Rob Van Vuuren

AlbertV

slumberpartymassacre.jpg?w=700&h=

In 1982, The Slumber Party Massacre was somewhat of a pioneering slasher film as it was written and directed by females, in this case Rita Mae Brown's script and Amy Holden Jonesdirection. The story involved Russ Thorn, a mental asylum patient who escapes and armed with a power drill, slices his way to a group of nubile teens holding a slumber party. The film would spawn two sequels in 1987 (with a memorable killer in a rock n' roll guitarist with a guitar having a drill auger) and 1990 (a less than average cheapie threequel). 

Now, the film is getting a modern-day reboot courtesy of Ash vs. Evil Dead writer Suzanne Keilly and director Danishka Esterhazy, who directed the 2018 horror film adaptation of Hanna-Barbara's children's series The Banana Splits Movie. The film was already shot in South Africa last month and the film will debut on the SYFY Channel later this year. 

To show comedians can make good serial killers (Donal Logue did it in the Silent Night loose remake of Silent Night Deadly Night), comedian Rob van Vuuren will step into the shoes of Michael Villela as the film's killer Russ Thorn. 

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/slumber-party-massacre-reboot-syfy

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

Well, I've never seen the original(Never really appealed to me), but this one having the people that were involved with "Ash Vs. Evil Dead"(Which I absolutely adored) as me really interested. Defiantly going to keep an eye on this one. 

• Like 2

The film is set to for release on SyFy Channel this Fall. Triggered co-star Michael Lawrence Potter is also in the film and I started watching Rob van Vuuren's stuff on YouTube (he's actually pretty funny!) so I can't wait to see them in this one. 

From SyFy Wire:

Another fall 2021 release is Slumber Party Massacre, a modern retelling of the '80s cult slasher classic. Danishka Esterhazy (The Banana Splits Movie) directed the project, working off a screenplay by Suzanne Keilly (Ash vs Evil Dead).

“Remaking one of the seminal films of Roger Corman and Amy Holden Jones’ early work is exciting and audacious," Brent Haynes, executive producer and head of Shout! Studios' Original Content Development, said in a statement last month. "But there are no better hands in which to place this challenge to Danishka Esterhazy, Suzanne Keilly, and the team at Blue Ice Pictures. Their creative vision will both honor the Corman ethos and captivate today’s audiences."

• Like 3

Official synopsis:

A new contemporary twist-filled reimagining of the 1982 slasher cult classic just in time for Halloween. A slumber party turns into a bloodbath, as a psychotic serial killer wielding a power drill disrupts the fun.

391_4.jpg

Here's Rob van Vuuren's profile. He's the comedian who plays killer Russ Thorn. Will be nice to see him do something more serious...and crazy!
https://www.apm.co.za/artiste/rob-van-vuuren-391/

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AlbertV said:

Official synopsis:

A new contemporary twist-filled reimagining of the 1982 slasher cult classic just in time for Halloween. A slumber party turns into a bloodbath, as a psychotic serial killer wielding a power drill disrupts the fun.

391_4.jpg

Here's Rob van Vuuren's profile. He's the comedian who plays killer Russ Thorn. Will be nice to see him do something more serious...and crazy!
https://www.apm.co.za/artiste/rob-van-vuuren-391/

Man, that dude looks creepy. lol They seem to have done a pretty good job picking out their killer. 

• Like 3

Drunken Monk

I wonder if this one is going to be super tongue-in-cheek and silly like the original (which I didn't enjoy that much). I feel like modern directors don't really pull off the whole "We're in on the joke" thing very well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Drunken Monk said:

I wonder if this one is going to be super tongue-in-cheek and silly like the original 

Considering a comedian is playing the killer (his first major project since the pandemic as he told News24 in South Africa he was worried about losing all his income until this opportunity came about), anything could be possible. I mean Danishka Esterhazy pulled off the silly OTT well with The Banana Splits movie and with one of the writers of Ash vs. Evil Dead scripting, this could be tongue in cheek and silly. 

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

It looks like the movie will premiere sometime in October and I am going to try to interview cast members and possibly director Danishka Esterhazy around that time. Hope it will happen. I especially would love to interview Rob van Vuuren to see what it's like to play an iconic killer. 

• Like 3

Update: I got word from co-star Michael Lawrence Potter that the film is definitely coming out in October on SyFy's Halloween festival. And we are planning a podcast episode on the film and Michael said he can help get some of the cast members in on it, so fingers crossed. 

• Like 3

On 9/7/2021 at 1:43 PM, AlbertV said:

Update: I got word from co-star Michael Lawrence Potter that the film is definitely coming out in October on SyFy's Halloween festival. And we are planning a podcast episode on the film and Michael said he can help get some of the cast members in on it, so fingers crossed. 

Did he mention what day in October it might be coming out on?

• Like 2

On 9/8/2021 at 8:08 PM, DarthKato said:

Did he mention what day in October it might be coming out on?

He didn't mention it. I'm not sure if he knows, but I'll be e-mailing him next week so hopefully I'll find out

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AlbertV said:

He didn't mention it. I'm not sure if he knows, but I'll be e-mailing him next week so hopefully I'll find out

Okay, sounds good. 

• Like 2

On 9/10/2021 at 2:29 PM, DarthKato said:

Okay, sounds good. 

The film will be going to Fantastic Fest first then will debut on SyFy Channel. Here's a new still shot from the film with three of the main characters.

https://fantasticfest.com/films/slumber-party-massacre

slumber_party_massacre_01_4web__large.jp

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, AlbertV said:

The film will be going to Fantastic Fest first then will debut on SyFy Channel. Here's a new still shot from the film with three of the main characters.

https://fantasticfest.com/films/slumber-party-massacre

slumber_party_massacre_01_4web__large.jp

Cool! Hopefully this turns out good. 

Hmm...Its starting to make me kind of nervous tho, with all the "Feminist" talk they had in the article(I know that the original film was written by a feminist as well, but modern feminists are an especially nasty bunch). 

• Like 2

OpiumKungFuCracker

I just hope it's as fun as the one in the 80s. Doesn't need to reinvent the wheel or anything like that. Recreate the same movie but in 2021 times instead of the 80s and I'm down with it. This will be on SyFy channel? Expectations are lowered big time lol. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

I just hope it's as fun as the one in the 80s. Doesn't need to reinvent the wheel or anything like that. Recreate the same movie but in 2021 times instead of the 80s and I'm down with it. This will be on SyFy channel? Expectations are lowered big time lol. 

It's debuting at Fantastic Fest first before going to SyFy. I got back in contact with Michael Lawrence Potter, one of the male co-stars, and he and I are going to round up cast members and the director for a big ensemble podcast episode about the remake. With Danishka Esterhazy as director, I think it will be as fun as the original. She did a good job IMO on the Banana Splits Movie. That debuted on Syfy as well as had all the gore intact. I have the DVD of that one. 

I do like how they aren't spoiling any bloodletting here with the still shots. I think this is a good sign.

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 4

OpiumKungFuCracker
17 minutes ago, AlbertV said:

It's debuting at Fantastic Fest first before going to SyFy. I got back in contact with Michael Lawrence Potter, one of the male co-stars, and he and I are going to round up cast members and the director for a big ensemble podcast episode about the remake. With Danishka Esterhazy as director, I think it will be as fun as the original. She did a good job IMO on the Banana Splits Movie. That debuted on Syfy as well as had all the gore intact. I have the DVD of that one. 

I do like how they aren't spoiling any bloodletting here with the still shots. I think this is a good sign.

Looking forward to the podcast, can't wait!!! 

• Like 4

The world premiere is tonight at Fantastic Fest in Austin, TX at 10:30pm CST. Man, wish I was over there checking it out! But I'm willing to wait and see it on Syfy. I may be getting the new driller killer on the podcast as well thanks to an actress who has become a very good friend of mine since we talked last year who had worked with him before :) Fingers crossed!

• Like 2

I read some early reviews and they are mostly positive from last night's premiere. It's described as an updated feminist remake that is part-slasher, part-parody and there are scenes that pay homage to the original. The general consensus is that this was this is definitely a worthy remake. Bloody Disgusting gave it a 4 out of 5 skulls.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/reviews/3684747/fantastic-fest-review-slumber-party-massacre/

Danishka Esterhazy did confirm it will be on SyFy in October, but is waiting for the exact date like we are. 

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

Looks like this one is everything that terrible Black Christmas remake isn't. Does anyone knows when this airs on SYFY? I might actually give it a watch since "hilarious and gory" is pretty much all I need these days.

• Like 2