"Five Deadly Venoms" Being Remade

Guest Daisho2004

Guest Daisho2004

Two of the most popular films from the Shaw Brothers' library are being remade. First off, Chang Cheh's immortal "Five Venoms" is being remade as "Five Deadly Venoms" by director Kirk Wong (best known for "Crime Story"), set in modern times and with one of the original male characters being replaced by a spider girl. Also on the slate is a new version of Ho Meng-hua's much-loved "The Flying Guillotine", directed by Teddy Chan (responsible for "The Accidental Spy") and with a script by "Silk" helmer Su Chao-pin. Strangely, the film, whose raison d'etre is arguably its wacky scenes of decapitation is apparently to feature a new romantic twist, with costumes by "Hero" designer Emi Wada. Producing both films is Philip Lee, who has previously worked on the likes of "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" and "Windstruck".

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest moviegyrl

My only concern would be the quality of action in these remakes. You can't pay tribute to martial-arts Classics with quickie-trained actors hung up on wires! :x

Guest HungKuen

A contemporary Five Venoms? That's gonna be like any lousy comic book-movie out there.

I know I'm gonna hate it.

The Blood Brothers remake is something I'm looking forward to though.

Archived