Anybody know where John Liu is?

Jonny

Question

Does anybody know how John Lui is? I heard he’s living in France .. but the reason I ask, is because I heard he’s in a wheelchair these days.. does anybody know if this is true? 
also.. why is it so difficult to find out any info on 70s Kung fu legends?!? Does it annoy anybody else how little recognition some of these guys get? They are absolute legends in my eyes! Can’t find anything on Wong Tao, John Liu & the other guys who are still alive. Just feel like they deserve better! 

• Like 6

15 answers to this question

OpiumKungFuCracker

He's in Vietnam living on a boat with no electricity according to the new york ninja documentary I just watched. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, saltysam said:

I agree, it's like pulling teeth getting info on some of these legends. Lung Fei for example.

They deserve better. Lung Fei was awesome! He’s been in so many Kung fu movies.

• Like 2

It's frustrating, haven't got the set yet but for example the forthcoming Basher Box would have been a great opportunity for Henry Yue and Meng Fei to be contacted for the extras.

• Like 2

Cognoscente

There may be some French magazines which contain missing pieces of the puzzle. The most frustrating thing about eBay is that using the main site doesn't show you everything, so you have to go to the French site to find the extras.

In the Martial Arts Movie Actors & Actresses message board, I posted a quirky mag cover featuring John Liu (the lighting makes it look like he dyed some of his hair red). On every copy of that issue, I couldn't find any scans of his interview - just Bruce Lee stuff.

• Like 2

On 4/1/2021 at 9:35 PM, Jonny said:

Wong Tao

Here's a recent photo of Wong Tao on IMDB. He does TV series and some movies made in Taiwan these days.

MV5BZTA5MTRjMmQtZjcwMC00YTA5LWI3MjAtODgx

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 6

On 4/1/2021 at 9:35 PM, Jonny said:

Does anybody know how John Lui is? I heard he’s living in France .. but the reason I ask, is because I heard he’s in a wheelchair these days.. does anybody know if this is true? 
also.. why is it so difficult to find out any info on 70s Kung fu legends?!? Does it annoy anybody else how little recognition some of these guys get? They are absolute legends in my eyes! Can’t find anything on Wong Tao, John Liu & the other guys who are still alive. Just feel like they deserve better! 

i think john liu is in paris. gordon liu suffered a stroke he is in a wheelchair.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

So is he enjoying a peaceful hermitage retirement, or is he really down on his luck?

Maybe a bit of both. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dionbrother said:

That pic has me thinking the hermit story is a cover.

A very clever cover if that- well done John for ingenuity. 

I'm guessing that's his son and the rest of his family in the picture? 

Edited by Josh Baker

One Armed Boxer
3 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

His son looks like Chieh Yuan.

Is that a confirmation that the guy in the picture is his son?

• Like 1