The Mount Rushmore of Martial Arts Cinema

AxeGang

I often like to ponder which people have made the greatest impact on martial arts cinema, and if I had to choose 4 of those faces to be carved into a mountain, whom would I choose?

Also, how would the 4 people change if the Mount Rushmore was of HK action cinema in particular, or how would the 4 people change if it was of action cinema as a whole?

I feel like for the Mount Rushmore of Martial Arts Cinema, Yuen Woo-ping would have to be on that mountain. But what about Chang Cheh, Bruce Lee, Sammo Hung, Jackie Chan, etc, etc? How would you narrow it down?? I feel like it might depend upon what we're thinking about - what is the focus: action direction, action choreography, on-screen talent, filmmaking innovations, introduction of genre tropes, etc.?

What are your thoughts on this topic? Whom would you choose for each mountain (martial arts cinema, HK action cinema, action cinema) and why? Are the 4 people the same for every mountain?

• Like 4

Sorry, i can't have just one Mount Rushmore, so i made 3 lol

of actors: Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Donnie Yen.

of Directors: Wong Kar Wai, John Woo, Chang Cheh, Tsui Hark

of Action Directors: Yuen Woo Ping, Sammo Hung, Lau Kar Leung, Corey Yuen

• Like 5

TibetanWhiteCrane

If we are talking HK action cinema of the martial arts variety then I don't know what the full and fair roster will be, but if Sammo and Lau Kar Leung is not on your mount, you need to educate yourselves. Their respective contributions to the genre are invaluable and trumps anyone else you wanna put on there. Not a big Bruce Lee fan as such but in terms of influence and iconography, he should probably be on there. Not sure about the third.... but yeah, most likely Jackie.

• Like 5

sifu iron perm

bruce, jackie, sammo, lau kar leung

bruce and jackie because they were/are the greatest superstars that HK produced..

Sammo and the late great Lau Kar Leung for their magnificent contributions, creativity and being stars themselves..

yuen woo ping is a legend and deserves his Glory on the Mountain too.

• Like 4

Super Ninja

I have to agree. Personal preferences aside and apologies to those that got left out but it's Bruce, Lau Kar-Leung, Jackie and Sammo.

• Like 3