The Silent Flute - Lee's Project to Become Limited Series

AlbertV

Bruce Lee's never released work, The Silent Flute, which he co-wrote with Stirling Silliphant and James Coburn, is now being made into a mini-series. Jason Kothari has gotten the rights and with the help of John Fusco, is bringing the project to life via limited series.

Set in a dystopian future of pandemics, fires and civil wars – all weapons and combat arts are banned. A raw fighter overcomes grave obstacles and loss to reach enlightenment and become the best fighter in the world. 

https://variety.com/2021/film/asia/jason-kothari-and-john-fusco-to-produce-bruce-lee-scripted-the-silent-flute-1234936256/

• Like 5

How weird, i recently watched Circle Of Iron and after having not seen it for many years was deeply unimpressed and was only today thinking of selling the blu ray. I'll take this as a sign i should keep it and give it another chance sometime :smile

• Like 4

DragonClaws
On 3/24/2021 at 7:53 AM, AlbertV said:

Set in a dystopian future of pandemics, fires and civil wars – all weapons and combat arts are banned. A raw fighter overcomes grave obstacles and loss to reach enlightenment and become the best fighter in the world. 

There's was a sci-fi/dystopian big screen re-make announced some years ago, but it never came to be. I hope this series gets off the ground and makes it to the small screen.

On 3/24/2021 at 8:10 AM, saltysam said:

I'll take this as a sign i should keep it and give it another chance sometime

I was really disapointed first time round, especially after reading the original script before viewing the film version. Upon re-watching it, I enjoyed it a lot more even if has been heavily diluted/watered down.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

HA! You beat me to it Albert, I just screenshotted the story and was about to make it a topic😂

In all seriousness though I hope they stick to the integrity of what Bruce and Stirling were going for and not add unnecessary subplots that slow the story progression down. 

I hope it's just a straight forward adaption of the source material without any gimmicks to try and update it to a modern audience, outside of cultural things of course.

I wonder who they're going to get to play the character Bruce intended himself to play?, hes going to have to be a competent martial artist but also a great actor, because the part has 7 different personalities/incarnations if I remember correctly? I could be wrong someone correct me if I am. 

I also hope it's not too moody and has some levity to it which I think Bruce was aware of, about the power of humour to hook the audience in to his philosophical ideas, look at the Game of Death footage for example.

As much as I love Warrior it can be a bit too po faced for me at points and has a generally muddy grey aesthetic that I feel could be lightened up. I think it's a really good show but these are just personal gripes for me that I hope arent repeated on Silent Flute.

Edited by Josh Baker
  • Like 3

DragonClaws

The man bringing old Bruce Lee screenplay The Silent Flute to life in a six-part TV series

Link- https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/entertainment/article/3130609/how-old-bruce-lee-screenplay-silent-flute-will-be-brought

• Lee’s screenplay for The Silent Flute, written with Hollywood screenwriter Stirling Silliphant and actor James Coburn, will form the basis of show’s storyline
  • Hong Kong-born producer Jason Kothari came across the script by accident and spent five years trying to buy it and a further five years developing it

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/de/14/01/de140176cf776c3241b5b3a9665adc0b.jpg

• Like 1