Adverse (2021) - Thomas Nicholas, Mickey Rourke, Lou Diamond Phillips, Andrew Keegan, Penelope Ann Miller

AlbertV

Directed by Asian-American filmmaker Brian A. Metcalf, this thriller involves a former gang member whose attempt at a straight life is shattered when his younger sister is found dead of a drug overdose. He decides to infiltrate the crime boss who may be responsible by serving as his driver. The film IMO is a breakout role for former child star Thomas Nicholas (Rookie of the Year, American Pie) as well as other former child stars in now adult roles (Camp Nowhere's Andrew Keegan and The Wizard's Luke Edwards as the crime boss' henchmen; Wizards of Waverly Place's Jake T. Austin as the addict/dealer boyfriend of the sister character, and Heavyweights' Aaron Schwartz as a detective). Metcalf himself is in the film as a nightclub owner/sub-boss of the big crime boss, played by Mickey Rourke. Pretty tense driven thriller. I actually liked it.

I interviewed Metcalf and talked about his experiences with the cast and how he felt lucky to have them in his movie.

• Like 3

It's definitely solid. Thomas Nicholas IMO did a great job in the lead role. I was always used to thinking of "pitcher's got a big butt" and "no longer will our {censored} be flaccid and unused". But this is definitely a break out role for him as an adult. Plus, he gets to kick the director's ass LOL. Metcalf and I had a good laugh in our interview about that scene, which sets up the core plot. 

• Like 3