Glass Tears (2001) ... LO LIEH's last film before his death

Guest sevenhooks

Guest sevenhooks

Not a martial arts pic I know, but I'm curious to know what kind of flick this is, particularly seeing as how this was Lo Lieh's LAST film before he passed away.

Any thoughts/opinions/etc. at all???

What's the general consensus on this picture?

Good drama?

Or just boring dreck?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I did see this recently after finally tracking down the ol’ letter-boxed Mei Ah DVD (that looks expectedly fuzzy!) and I must say that I do have some love for this film!

This was female director Carol Lai’s debut feature, and its a harsh, unglamorous, sensibly lensed portrait of day-drifting, dazed, pill-popping HK youth growing up in drab New Territories high-rises. Its all a bit reminiscent of the almost cinema verité-ish approach Laurence Lau or Ann Hui took in films like SPACKED OUT or THE WAY WE ARE, just not that accomplished. The film begins very strong, confidently setting its intense moods and broadly sketching its laconic protagonists and their environment, but it does loose some steam towards the end, simply petering out and coming across as a tad too long.

And, yes, GLASS TEARS was infact Lo Lieh’s last-ever film. I found his performance as a grumpy but golden-hearted Mainland ex-cop wonderfully nuanced and his interaction with highly impressive (then) newcomer Zany Kwok simply a joy to watch. Still, this is a somewhat flawed film, but definitely a worthwhile one.

Archived