The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

MaskedAvenger85
1 hour ago, LiuYiLong said:

Hi @Masked Avenger it is out on Blu-Ray, was released earlier this year in Germany, it's an English friendly release with English subs ( Chinese and German audio)

But I 100% agree it would be great to see 88 Films release it!

You can check out the details of the German release here:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Die-Tiger-von-Kwantung-Blu-ray/289514/

Hi @LiuYiLong, thanks for the info!! I honestly didn't know it was out already from Germany. I'm checking that out now. Yea a 88 films release would be awesome! 

• Like 5

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
On 7/12/2021 at 9:43 PM, LiuYiLong said:

Thanks Bob! I'm over the moon tbh.

We're in this incredible phase I've genuinely waited most of my adult life for, I'm sure that's true for a great many of us here.

I remember the decades of ZERO Shaw Brothers releases, let alone any high quality remasters of any other Kung Fu and East Asian cinema. I can remember paying £25 in the late nine ties for VHS bootlegs of Heroes of The East ( with sections of the English dub dropping out to Spanish) and 8 Diagram Pole Fighter so degraded from VHS to VHS copying that it was barely legible, and I still fell head over heels in love with the movies.

We had these brief moments of hope, like when Momentum Asia teased out a whole catalogue of Shaw's titles coming to DVD only to bail out after just 6 titles. The HK Celestial remasters in the early 2000's onto DVD was huge, but they all had to be imported, at a time when import tax was insane and they tended to have little to nothing in terms of extras, and even then they were still gratefully received.

What we're experiencing now is honestly, mind blowing to me.  Upcoming release information has never been so freely shared and available and the boutique labels are more engaged and responsive to their audiences than we ever got from the VHS or DVD companies, the quality and care being given to these releases, from 88, Eureka, Shout Factory and now from Arrow....really is something very special indeed.

Forgive the ramblings.

It's just like I said. A very, very cool time to be a fan.

And we didn't get to say that for the longest time.

On 7/13/2021 at 2:12 PM, Rubber John said:

I agree with every word of your post.
This time is the best time we have had since the VHS years; in fact it is even better.

Both anticipation and reward has been so exciting and fulfilling compared to the DVD years, which were frequently a giant let-down.

Awesome stuff.

We are extremely lucky. My most Shaw Brothers-crazy friend that used to jump up and down in excitement with me (high-fiving and "Yes!"ing) as we would see new titles becoming available on DVD from Celestial and order them from HKFlix and Poker Industries didn't live long enough to see this. He was taken young by cancer, and would've gone absolutely bonkers over these incredible Blu-ray releases (all the 88 Films releases actually. He loved Jackie Chan and all Hong Kong cinema too). I've dedicated my CHINESE BOXER art to him as it's going to be the first US Blu-ray release of a Shaw Brothers flick with my art on it. I wish he was still here so we could watch it together. "But still" (as he and I would always say in our "dub voices") I'm lucky for the time I did have him in my life. Gone but never forgotten.

23 hours ago, MaskedAvenger85 said:

Kind of off topic from what has been recently talked about, but I just got done watching Ten Tigers from Kwangtung, and it lit a fire in me. When can we get ANYONE to release this in an updated format from my dvd release? I dig the movie, which I'm sure a lot of us do. I mean you have Fu Sheng, Venom Mob guys, the works! I just would love to see 88 put it out, with some more features, and some cool kung fu bob artwork! 

I would be surprised if TEN TIGERS doesn't get a Blu-ray release from 88 or Arrow soon. I'd certainly be happy to create artwork for that title!

13 hours ago, LiuYiLong said:

Hi @MaskedAvenger85 it is out on Blu-Ray, was released earlier this year in Germany, it's an English friendly release with English subs ( Chinese and German audio)

But I 100% agree it would be great to see 88 Films release it!

You can check out the details of the German release here:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Die-Tiger-von-Kwantung-Blu-ray/289514/

I should have this release pretty soon. It'll be shipped along with some other FilmArt releases all at once. :love

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

MaskedAvenger85

Thanks @KUNG FU BOB for the back story and inspiration for your artwork! I feel, as I'm sure most of us do, that The Chinese Boxer art is some of your best...well all of them are freaking amazing lol! And, I believe you are correct, Ten Tigers will, and should be released soon!

• Like 5

Drunken Monk

The Chinese Boxer is now up for pre-order on Amazon.com. For some reason it’s $29.99, but I’m hoping the price will drop closer to the release date.

• Like 5

Chemical Lemon

Ugh… November. It’s gonna be a long summer. I hope US and UK releases are pretty close in release dates. 

• Like 4

Ninja Sinai

Two Shaws I would LOVE to see released on BluRay are To Kill A Mastermind and The Avenging Eagle, with the classic English dub. 

• Like 9

Has FLYING GUILLOTINE 2 come out on proper Blu anywhere yet? I’ve got the first and third films from 88 and I need the second!

• Like 2

Chu Liu Hsiang
1 hour ago, WaverBoy said:

Has FLYING GUILLOTINE 2 come out on proper Blu anywhere yet? I’ve got the first and third films from 88 and I need the second!

I only know of the Mediabook release by Austrian company Shock, it's not English friendly. 

• Like 2

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
On 8/1/2021 at 2:55 AM, WaverBoy said:

@WaverBoy that is one of the movies getting a release from 88 Films in the near future.

• Like 10
  • Buddha Bless You 1

@KUNG FU BOB The Disciples of Shaolin cover looks FANTASTIC!! Great work again!!!

Really adoring what you've done for the Chinese Boxer too!

Can't wait to see what you have in store for Flag of Iron!

• Like 5

On 7/11/2021 at 9:34 PM, KUNG FU BOB said:

I wish I had an Oppo!

Grab one if you can. Getting rare in Europe and still very pricey on the used market. I think there are plenty of good deals still available in the U S. This brand is the king of Blu-ray players in my opinion. An incredible piece of engineering designed by technicians who like watching movies. Check out the specifications of available models for preference. When you lift one of these out of the box, the weight dictates the pedigree. Sourcing a brand new one these days will be a very good investment.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Kwok Choi said:

Grab one if you can. Getting rare in Europe and still very pricey on the used market. I think there are plenty of good deals still available in the U S. This brand is the king of Blu-ray players in my opinion. An incredible piece of engineering designed by technicians who like watching movies. Check out the specifications of available models for preference. When you lift one of these out of the box, the weight dictates the pedigree. Sourcing a brand new one these days will be a very good investment.

Are they compatible with the European electrical system ?

In France, it's impossible to find a multiregion DVD or Blu ray Player, and I'm reluctant to buy one From another country precisely because I fear that it wouldn't work due to the incompatibility of the systems, and also because if the machine I receive is defective, it will be very hard to return it and get a replacement. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Are they compatible with the European electrical system ?

In France, it's impossible to find a multiregion DVD or Blu ray Player, and I'm reluctant to buy one From another country precisely because I fear that it wouldn't work due to the incompatibility of the systems, and also because if the machine I receive is defective, it will be very hard to return it and get a replacement. 

I got the first basic model, the Oppo BDP 83 made for the American market and later bought the BDP 831 (same machine) for the European market. Imagine! all these years still going strong and for me no need to upgrade to the more advanced feature packed later Oppo models. I think there is a voltage selector switch at the back for voltages ranging from 110V-220/240V. It was multi-region for DVD but a special kit had to be bought for $75.00 to play all Region Blu-ray BD. The kit can be fitted by the user so there is no need for an expert. One of the features I like is the ability to raise subtitles in steps to any position you like on the screen. Really useful for those discs where subtitles are sometimes partially placed at the bottom part of the black bar on the TV screen or out of the frame.

https://www.avforums.com/reviews/oppo-bdp-83-blu-ray-disc-player-review.75

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/oppo-bdp-83-review/

http://download.oppodigital.com/BDP83/BDP-83_English_Manual.pdf

https://www.oppodigital.com/Support.aspx

• Like 4

Are there any plans to release FIRST STRIKE's Hong Kong cut in High Definition? Anyone knows?

Also, on the subject of HERO (1997), how much longer is the uncut version compared to the cut version ? The one I have lasts about 1 hour 30 mins

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 2

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
On 7/14/2021 at 9:35 PM, MaskedAvenger85 said:

Thanks @KUNG FU BOB for the back story and inspiration for your artwork! I feel, as I'm sure most of us do, that The Chinese Boxer art is some of your best...well all of them are freaking amazing lol! And, I believe you are correct, Ten Tigers will, and should be released soon!

That's nice to hear.

19 hours ago, Drunksnake said:

Nice!

FB_IMG_1628027650110.jpg

18 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Great cover !

17 hours ago, LiuYiLong said:

@KUNG FU BOB The Disciples of Shaolin cover looks FANTASTIC!! Great work again!!!

Really adoring what you've done for the Chinese Boxer too!

Can't wait to see what you have in store for Flag of Iron!

There's a lot of very heavy stuff going on for me right now (I know I'm not alone in that), and the encouragement and kind words are especially nice to read right now. Thanks for bringing some some light into my day, brothers and sisters.

11 hours ago, Kwok Choi said:

You don't have to sell me on the merits of an Oppo brother @Kwok Choi, I have long heard that they are exceptional. My friend @Zatotom may as well have been the ambassador for Oppo as he loves the company so much, and he always raved about the players. I never invested in one though because they are very expensive and I chose to spend my money in other ways. I would really love to get one though...

9 hours ago, Karlos said:

@KUNG FU BOBgorgeous art, as always!

Thanks, brother.

Hey Forum Family, looks like @Karlos will be making a contribution to the DISCIPLES OF SHAOLIN release! :bigsmile: It's really cool, too. :clappinghands We've been friends since 2007 thanks to this forum, and now we're both getting to be a part of this official upcoming Shaw Brothers Blu-ray release. Dream coming true.

6 hours ago, Kwok Choi said:

I got the first basic model, the Oppo BDP 83 made for the American market and later bought the BDP 831 (same machine) for the European market. Imagine! all these years still going strong and for me no need to upgrade to the more advanced feature packed later Oppo models. I think there is a voltage selector switch at the back for voltages ranging from 110V-220/240V. It was multi-region for DVD but a special kit had to be bought for $75.00 to play all Region Blu-ray BD. The kit can be fitted by the user so there is no need for an expert. One of the features I like is the ability to raise subtitles in steps to any position you like on the screen. Really useful for those discs where subtitles are sometimes partially placed at the bottom part of the black bar on the TV screen or out of the frame.

https://www.avforums.com/reviews/oppo-bdp-83-blu-ray-disc-player-review.75

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/oppo-bdp-83-review/

http://download.oppodigital.com/BDP83/BDP-83_English_Manual.pdf

https://www.oppodigital.com/Support.aspx

So tempting. Perhaps I'll start saving for one finally.

1 hour ago, Daxtreme said:

Are there any plans to release FIRST STRIKE's Hong Kong cut in High Definition? Anyone knows?

Also, on the subject of HERO (1997), how much longer is the uncut version compared to the cut version ? The one I have lasts about 1 hour 30 mins

That one seems unlikely as I believe Warner has the rights. But I never rule out 88 when it comes to trying to get a Jackie Chan title. So, all we can do is remain hopeful.

As far as HERO (1997) goes, here's a good breakdown that answers your question. But I advise those that haven't seen the film already to avoid reading this as it is one major spoiler after another, including the film's ending. https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=3565

• Like 9

actionfan93
7 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

Warner holds the rights to First Strike,Police Story 3,Who Am I,Thunderbolt and rumble in the bronx and maybe even Twin Dragons I really hope Warner isn't calling it quits on Blu-rays in the future I'd like to see First Strike,Police Story 3 and Who Am I get released before that happens anything else is a bonus to me

though if Golden Harvest never sold those titles to Warner would Fortune Star own them now surprisingly Police Story 3 is listed on Fortune Star's website as a title they own

Edited by actionfan93
  • Like 5

ZenkaigerBat
22 hours ago, actionfan93 said:

Warner holds the rights to First Strike,Police Story 3,Who Am I,Thunderbolt and rumble in the bronx and maybe even Twin Dragons I really hope Warner isn't calling it quits on Blu-rays in the future I'd like to see First Strike,Police Story 3 and Who Am I get released before that happens anything else is a bonus to me

though if Golden Harvest never sold those titles to Warner would Fortune Star own them now surprisingly Police Story 3 is listed on Fortune Star's website as a title they own

I still want them to release Dragon Fight, It's long overdue doing time at Warners vault.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, drees5761 said:

Fantastic  cover from Kung Fu Bob for Disciples of Shaolin

dos.jpg

Fu Sheng and Chi Kuan Chun look So real ! I love it !

• Like 6

This was the first Fu Sheng film I saw in a small Chinatown Cinema, so has a special place in my memory, this release is going to be great.

disciples_of_shaolin_02._bild.jpg

• Like 6