The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

2 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

If I'm not mistaken, Spectrum also plans to release Hero.

Or will be a tough choice for me : 88 or Spectrum ?! 😱

You're very fortunate you can speak French as that alone eliminates the Spectrum releases for most of us on here. But I do own some of those Spectrum releases on blu ray and use my Oppo blu ray player to side load the available .srt/.ass subs on a flash stick and it works a charm!

• Like 6

MaskedAvenger85

Looking forward to Flag of Iron! I can't wait see what has been done! And hopefully some kick ass bonus material! 

• Like 6

MaskedAvenger85
5 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

The Chinese Boxer already up for pre-order at diabolikDVD.

https://www.diabolikdvd.com/product/the-chinese-boxer-us-88-films-release-blu-ray-preorder/

I have never bought or preordered anything from diabolikdvd.com, although of course I've frequented the site. This just might have to be my first purchase from them, and hey what a first time purchase it will be. Thanks for letting me know!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MaskedAvenger85 said:

Looking forward to Flag of Iron! I can't wait see what has been done! And hopefully some kick ass bonus material! 

You and me both! from the three Shaw's titles coming first, that's the one I'm most excited for!

• Like 5

MaskedAvenger85
14 minutes ago, LiuYiLong said:

You and me both! from the three Shaw's titles coming first, that's the one I'm most excited for!

I totally agree! As I'm looking at my original Flag of Iron theatrical poster. It's gonna be epic!

• Like 5

FightingFool
4 hours ago, MaskedAvenger85 said:

I have never bought or preordered anything from diabolikdvd.com, although of course I've frequented the site. This just might have to be my first purchase from them, and hey what a first time purchase it will be. Thanks for letting me know!

I have twice (to EU). Order with confidence he(Jesse) packs item(s) really well there is about 0% chance for damaged goods unless someone hammers parcel at post. He also dispatches items really quickly when receives them to stock.

• Like 4

Iron Head Rat
14 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Youhouhouhou  !!!!

Shaolin Mantis !! If there was Shaolin hand lock too in this list, I would be at the 7th Heaven !!

David Chaing huh ? :monk_inlove:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

MaskedAvenger85
11 hours ago, FightingFool said:

I have twice (to EU). Order with confidence he(Jesse) packs item(s) really well there is about 0% chance for damaged goods unless someone hammers parcel at post. He also dispatches items really quickly when receives them to stock.

Thank you for the re-assurance, that really makes me feel even more confident! Needless to say I definitely will be ordering from them!

• Like 3

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
On 7/9/2021 at 7:57 PM, saltysam said:

Why do Arrow ruin fantastic releases with such horrendous packaging? Did it with Demons Double Feature 4K and now this unwieldy, shelf averse crap.

Just give us a box like Shout's F13 set from last year.

@saltysam I am with you in regards to the packaging. I wish the set was standard Blu-ray height and depth, and simply wider. Yes, having individual cases inside a slip-box, like Shout Factory also did with their THE OMEN and THE FLY sets would be ideal. Although the packaging is nice, I wish the Criterion Godzilla set, the Arrow Gamera set (I got the original Limited Edition version), and Shout's Herzog sets could all fit in with all my other Blu-rays. Otherwise, I'm very happy with the announced set.

22 hours ago, FightingFool said:

Solid selections. Not likely upgrade everything immediately, but flag of iron and monkey kung fu are instant buys(own only ivls of those while rest are r1/r2/B discs). And Hero, ok movie but seen only cut version. It`s only logical to put out big names first and gather huge stable fanbase but hope after few years we will get rare/obscure/little known swordplay movies too on BR.

I originally saw the cut version of HERO (1997) and it was so chopped up that I honestly had trouble understanding what the hell I was looking at, especially during the climax. But the uncut version is a great time! In my opinion this is one of director/action choreographer Corey Yuen's most underrated, least talked about films. This release will, of course, be uncut, and will be a huge improvement over that censored DVD. For those not familiar with this one, it's a remake of THE BOXER FROM SHANTUNG with Takeshi Kaneshiro in Chen Kuan-Tai's role of Ma Wing-Ching. Though Kaneshiro isn't a real kung fu expert like Chen, he's a more expressive actor, is very athletic, and looks suitably powerful and skilled under Yuen's action direction. Yuen Wah plays the brother of Ma, and despite sporting a bowl-cut that rivals some of Sammo's for "worst haircut" and this part not being an action showcase for him, is still always great to watch on-screen. For me the best part is Yuen Biao in an atypical role that he totally owns. The 1911 era setting means he's dressed to kill in a sharp suit and hat, and his Seven Little Fortunes brother knows how to put Biao's talents on film. After seeing him in DEADFUL MELODY, CIRCUS KIDS, and DRAGON IN SHAOLIN I was worried that we'd already seen the best of Biao, and that it was going to be all downhill, but this film put that thought to rest. In addition to exciting martial arts fights it also features romance, a vicious Axe Gang attack/rumble, shootouts, a chase with some great stunts, appropriately vile villains, and a terrific climax.

22 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Youhouhouhou  !!!!

Shaolin Mantis !! If there was Shaolin hand lock too in this list, I would be at the 7th Heaven !!

@KUNG FU BOB, are You doing ALL the covers ?

I'd so, I'm eager to see what you'll offer to us !!

If I'm not mistaken, Spectrum also plans to release Hero.

Or will be a tough choice for me : 88 or Spectrum ?! 😱

Yes I am. And I'm thrilled about it!

I will take your "Spectrum or 88 Films" purchase of HERO as a challenge, and try to convince you with my cover art to get the 88 release. :bigsmile:

18 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

You're very fortunate you can speak French as that alone eliminates the Spectrum releases for most of us on here. But I do own some of those Spectrum releases on blu ray and use my Oppo blu ray player to side load the available .srt/.ass subs on a flash stick and it works a charm!

I've heard of this technological alchemy. I am intrigued, but fear it is beyond me. :tongue:

22 hours ago, LiuYiLong said:

First off, @KUNG FU BOB you are a legend, The Chinese Boxer art looks incredible.

Secondly...HOLY SHIT - LEGENDARY WEAPONS OF CHINA is hidden away back there, not to mention the rest!!!!

Lets go from left to right shall we?

SHAOLIN MANTIS

HUMAN LANTERNS

LEGENDARY WEAPONS OF CHINA!!!!

MARTIAL CLUB

DISCIPLES OF SHAOLIN

THE CHINESE BOXER

MONKEY KUNG FU

FLYING GUILLOTINES 2

FLAG OF IRON

HERO

Amazing!!

edit - @saltysam you beat me too it, we must have been typing at the same time ;)

LOL Thanks @LiuYiLong!

I dig all of these titles, but I am all hopped-up like a spider-monkey chuggin' Mountain Dew about the Lau Kar-Leung titles!*

21 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

And let' s talk about the release dates...

When, WHEN,WHEN ??????? 

:hvb_he_he_he:

Probably a couple each month starting in September.

21 hours ago, LiuYiLong said:

I'll join forces for a flying spinning kick of 'hell yes' to this! :)

Thanks for your enthusiasm. I'll do my best!

Here's details for THE CHINESE BOXER release...

***NEW TITLE ANNOUNCEMENT***
Coming to Blu-ray 11/9 from 88 Films US

The Chinese Boxer (1970)

Bonus Materials
High Definition (1080p) Presentation in 2.35:1 Aspect Ratio
2.0 DTS-HD MA English Soundtrack
2.0 DTS-HD MA Mandarin Soundtrack with newly translated English Subtitles
Audio Commentary by Critic and Author Samm Deighan
Interview with Wong Ching
Open Hand Combat - David West on The Chinese Boxer
US 'Hammer of God' TV Spot

Complete and Uncut
Includes the English dub and the original Mandarin soundtracks.

CHINESE BOXER212478578_4774572172570302_112667706055691936_n.jpg

• Like 13
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Waiting to see what's happening with the release dates for some of 88's forthcoming titles. Robotrix,Ricky,Chinese Boxer & Disciples of Shaolin all showing 27th September on Amazon, i'd be surprised if all came out the same day.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

I've heard of this technological alchemy. I am intrigued, but fear it is beyond me. :tongue:

This unofficial "hack" is quite easy. Just need the external .srt subs, a usb flash drive & an Oppo blu ray player. Much easier than having to remux the file.

Can external subtitles be added to disc playback?

Yes:

• Create a folder on a USB stick called 'sub'.
  • Name your SRT formatted subtitle file 'sub.srt' and copy it into the 'sub' folder.
  • Play the disc and press the Subtitle button while the movie is playing. The last entry in the subtitle popup list will be your custom subtitle from the USB stick.

Another advantage doing this is that when you playback HDR movies to HDR displays the subtitles are already too bright in HDR mode and they will become even brighter when future displays have higher peak output levels. With the external subtitle technique you can change the color of the subtitles to a dimmed version from a list of colors, and also change their size, move them up/down etc.

• Like 2

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
1 hour ago, Yihetuan said:

This unofficial "hack" is quite easy. Just need the external .srt subs, a usb flash drive & an Oppo blu ray player. Much easier than having to remux the file.

I wish I had an Oppo!

• Like 4

I hope these 88films releases have Frank Djeng's excellent audio commentary. he's my go to audio commentator now. Just comes across as easy going, knowledgeable and when he throws in some personal anecdotes, it's related to the scene or the film and not just for name dropping purposes. Obviously he's fluent in the language and doesn't have to rely on secondary sources, so that's a big plus in his favor too. His Forbidden City Cop commentary is one of the best I've heard detailing the nuances of "mo le tau" comedy and wordplay in Cantonese.

• Like 7

Solid lineup of movies in this! I'm curious about Hero though. I watched it on netflix (USA) last year and it looked rather good. Is that the uncut version?

• Like 2

FightingFool

Hopefully Robotrix won`t be postponed from September 27th to future. It`s fun movie with few good bits of action. And physical extras look terrific. Kinda sucks it was short time in amazon.uk pre-order for £14.99 but foreigners were not allowed to buy it. Still no matter what price tag it`s definite purchase.

• Like 2

MaskedAvenger85
9 hours ago, lilmanjs said:

Solid lineup of movies in this! I'm curious about Hero though. I watched it on netflix (USA) last year and it looked rather good. Is that the uncut version?

Let's hope it is! Keeping my fingers crossed

• Like 2

19 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

@saltysam I am with you in regards to the packaging. I wish the set was standard Blu-ray height and depth, and simply wider. Yes, having individual cases inside a slip-box, like Shout Factory also did with their THE OMEN and THE FLY sets would be ideal. Although the packaging is nice, I wish the Criterion Godzilla set, the Arrow Gamera set (I got the original Limited Edition version), and Shout's Herzog sets could all fit in with all my other Blu-rays. Otherwise, I'm very happy with the announced set.

I'm pretty relieved it's a way more manageable size than it first looked, I was expecting Gamera / Criterion sized Hugeness, neither of which will fit on the shelves I use, but it's coming in at just 27.8 x 18.6 x 3.8 cm, which will thankfully fit pretty comfortably into the storage I use. Also Arrow unlike many other companies out there, do LOVE to re-release in multiple editions and variations, including standard size cases. so for those for whom not having individual cases is a deal breaker,  they will come out in that form further down the line.

It's just very cool that Arrow is FINALLY turning their attention to HK cinema!!!

I think this is their first release of any movies from HK, Not just their first Shaw's Release. Some of their Japanese and Korean cinema boxsets have been truly spectacular.  Couldn't be happier about the last weekends news!

And very stoked for my US based friends that y'all are getting Region A releases from Arrow AND 88 Films.

Kung-Fu high fives all round with Buddha palms.

• Like 4

MaskedAvenger85
5 minutes ago, LiuYiLong said:

I'm pretty relieved it's a way more manageable size than it first looked, I was expecting Gamera / Criterion sized Hugeness, neither of which will fit on the shelves I use, but it's coming in at just 27.8 x 18.6 x 3.8 cm, which will thankfully fit pretty comfortably into the storage I use. Also Arrow unlike many other companies out there, do LOVE to re-release in multiple editions and variations, including standard size cases. so for those for whom not having individual cases is a deal breaker,  they will come out in that form further down the line.

It's just very cool that Arrow is FINALLY turning their attention to HK cinema!!!

I think this is their first release of any movies from HK, Not just their first Shaw's Release. Some of their Japanese and Korean cinema boxsets have been truly spectacular.  Couldn't be happier about the last weekends news!

And very stoked for my US based friends that y'all are getting Region A releases from Arrow AND 88 Films.

Yes I'm stoked that we are getting these releases in usa. I'm sure all of us are. I can't wait for this arrow set! What a good time to be a shaw fan, or martial arts film fan in general!

• Like 5

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
12 hours ago, lilmanjs said:

3 hours ago, MaskedAvenger85 said:

12 hours ago, lilmanjs said:

3 hours ago, MaskedAvenger85 said:

@MaskedAvenger85 and @lilmanjs, believe me, they will be be releasing it uncut!

And yes, it is good. I wrote my thoughts about it above if you're interested.

3 hours ago, LiuYiLong said:

Regarding the packaging- yes, it could be much worse! :tongue:

I appreciate your wholly positive and enthusiastic reaction to the whole thing. It is extremely exciting.

• Like 5

MaskedAvenger85

Now I know I'm probably alone on this lol, but I actually would not mind seeing 88 release This Man Is Dangerous. I know it is at the end of Shaw, but I wouldn't mind seeing it updated, and with some cool features. Lol, I know I'm alone, but I love all Shaw. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

I appreciate your wholly positive and enthusiastic reaction to the whole thing. It is extremely exciting.

Thanks Bob! I'm over the moon tbh.

We're in this incredible phase I've genuinely waited most of my adult life for, I'm sure that's true for a great many of us here.

I remember the decades of ZERO Shaw Brothers releases, let alone any high quality remasters of any other Kung Fu and East Asian cinema. I can remember paying £25 in the late nine ties for VHS bootlegs of Heroes of The East ( with sections of the English dub dropping out to Spanish) and 8 Diagram Pole Fighter so degraded from VHS to VHS copying that it was barely legible, and I still fell head over heels in love with the movies.

We had these brief moments of hope, like when Momentum Asia teased out a whole catalogue of Shaw's titles coming to DVD only to bail out after just 6 titles. The HK Celestial remasters in the early 2000's onto DVD was huge, but they all had to be imported, at a time when import tax was insane and they tended to have little to nothing in terms of extras, and even then they were still gratefully received.

What we're experiencing now is honestly, mind blowing to me.  Upcoming release information has never been so freely shared and available and the boutique labels are more engaged and responsive to their audiences than we ever got from the VHS or DVD companies, the quality and care being given to these releases, from 88, Eureka, Shout Factory and now from Arrow....really is something very special indeed.

Forgive the ramblings.

It's just like I said. A very, very cool time to be a fan.

And we didn't get to say that for the longest time.

• Like 13
  • Buddha Bless You 3

Rubber John
16 hours ago, LiuYiLong said:

We're in this incredible phase I've genuinely waited most of my adult life for, I'm sure that's true for a great many of us here.

What we're experiencing now is honestly, mind blowing to me. 

It's just like I said. A very, very cool time to be a fan.

I agree with every word of your post.
This time is the best time we have had since the VHS years; in fact it is even better.

Both anticipation and reward has been so exciting and fulfilling compared to the DVD years, which were frequently a giant let-down.

Awesome stuff.

• Like 9

MaskedAvenger85

Kind of off topic from what has been recently talked about, but I just got done watching Ten Tigers from Kwangtung, and it lit a fire in me. When can we get ANYONE to release this in an updated format from my dvd release? I dig the movie, which I'm sure a lot of us do. I mean you have Fu Sheng, Venom Mob guys, the works! I just would love to see 88 put it out, with some more features, and some cool kung fu bob artwork! 

• Like 6

23 hours ago, MaskedAvenger85 said:

When can we get ANYONE to release this in an updated format from my dvd release? I dig the movie, which I'm sure a lot of us do. I mean you have Fu Sheng, Venom Mob guys, the works! I just would love to see 88 put it out, with some more features, and some cool kung fu bob artwork! 

Hi @MaskedAvenger85 it is out on Blu-Ray, was released earlier this year in Germany, it's an English friendly release with English subs ( Chinese and German audio)

But I 100% agree it would be great to see 88 Films release it!

You can check out the details of the German release here:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Die-Tiger-von-Kwantung-Blu-ray/289514/

• Like 5