The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

1 hour ago, KenHashibe said:

I'm by no means an expert on the differences between the audio tracks, but from my understanding, the "theatrical" is basically what you would hear if you were to see the film in a theater, straight from the 35mm film print. Everything sounds sharp and loud. This is my preferred audio option. The "home video" mix is mixed so that everything is softer and easier on the ears. The audio technically sounds a lot cleaner in the "home video" mix, but I almost feel like I lose a bit of the impact from the loud sound effects and music in the "theatrical" mix.

For the hybrid mix, basically it's the Cantonese dialogue with the music score from the International version, since some prefer the music from the International version but don't like the English dub.

My favorite of all of these is the theatrical mix. If anyone can better describe the differences, please jump in! I'm struggling a bit! :laugh

Thanks, that makes sense to me. I think the theatrical mix sounds like the one i'd like best too.

• Like 4

On 6/4/2021 at 8:43 PM, starschwar said:

I have no idea what differences exist between the theatrical and home video mixes - I'd welcome the insight of an expert.

• Theatrical = as heard upon original release (everything is as intended)
  • Home video = mixes commissioned by rights holders or labels using stems (often sounds better quality)
Edited by chen lung
  • Like 7

starschwar

Thank you.  So it's a matter of clarity and volume levels as opposed to content.  No changed lines, sound effects, or musical cues.  Makes perfect sense.  Kudos to 88 for providing so many ways to watch the movie available in one release.  Short of a seamless branching option to include the Taiwan and extended fight footage, I don't think there's anything they could have left out.  I'm looking forward to watching it in the not too distant future.  I will probably go with the Hybrid track first, delve into the extra footage, then double back to the original theatrical audio.

• Like 5

Some of the home video mixes are ported from other releases, perhaps because we don’t have stems or other reasons. Their faithfulness to the theatrical mix can vary (the odd difference in music, dialogue or effects).

The ones done exclusively for these releases from the stems, however, are more faithful to the original (basically because the producer will have checked against the theatrical mix).

Producing these mixes in a digital environment often means less generation loss and taking advantage of today’s technological advances. However, the theatrical is guaranteed to sound as intended and should always be included by default.

• Like 10

Just watched Jude Poyer and Scott Adkins' The Art Of Action on YouTube and Jude mentions 88 Films and starts talking about the Heart Of Dragon release. Pretty cool.

• Like 5

Drunken Monk

Erotic Ghost Story is totally sold out on 88 Films' site. I'm not sure how that happened since it's not even available for pre-order yet.

If you want to get the movie, it is still available on Amazon.co.uk. However, US residents will be charged extortionate shipping prices. It ended up being $47 for me.
Since I'm going into this one totally blind, I hope it's worth it!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I'm going into this one totally blind

No, no, no.  You go blind after...

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, AslanBey said:

Just saw a tweet from 88 that they'll soon release Armour of god in a "super duper edition" 

Here's hoping for lots of audio options with regard to the end credits song. 

• Like 7

Out of all recent announcements, Armour of God is the only one to interest me, Hope to see more interesting announcements, hopefully more titles with Donnie Yen, Jet Li, Chow Yun-Fat, John Woo, Johnnie To, Ringo Lam etc.

• Like 3

actionfan93
6 minutes ago, DiP said:

Out of all recent announcements, Armour of God is the only one to interest me, Hope to see more interesting announcements, hopefully more titles with Donnie Yen, Jet Li, Chow Yun-Fat, John Woo, Johnnie To, Ringo Lam etc.

Chow Yun Fat's are going to be hard due to rights holders I assume Tiger Cage 2 and In the line of Duty 4 for Donnie Yen will come sometime in the future other than that no idea what 88 or Eureka or others have up their sleeves

• Like 4

ZenkaigerBat
5 hours ago, DiP said:

Those are going to be tough to follow thru. Donnie Yen will be tougher depending what era of flims they can get if it's his 80's/90's flims then i'm afraid they will be issues on who holds the rights.   I look foward to seeing Armour of God getting released by 88 flims along with Half a Loaf of Kung Fu.   

5 hours ago, actionfan93 said:

Chow Yun Fat's are going to be hard due to rights holders I assume Tiger Cage 2 and In the line of Duty 4 for Donnie Yen will come sometime in the future other than that no idea what 88 or Eureka or others have up their sleeves

I hope somehow they can figure out a way to get Tiger Cage 1 and Tiger Cage 2, In the Line of Duty 4.   But we'll just have to see.

• Like 4

What about the fongsaiyuk movies of jet li? Is there any chance for 88 to release his classics?  I would love to get some youngmaster treatment from 88 for fongsaiyuk or last hero etc. 

I think its time for me to start to complete my jet li collection. I just have the 4 OUATIC movies. Are there any nice releases of his classics (also taichi etc)?

• Like 6

Irongod2112
16 hours ago, starschwar said:

Here's hoping for lots of audio options with regard to the end credits song. 

I have 7 audio tracks planned for the upcoming Armour of God release, that's not including commentaries. I'm sure I will have everyone's preference covered. :)

• Like 17

ZenkaigerBat
1 hour ago, Irongod2112 said:

I have 7 audio tracks planned for the upcoming Armour of God release, that's not including commentaries. I'm sure I will have everyone's preference covered. :)

Hopefully i get to hear High Upon High!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Irongod2112 said:

Seven?!  Now I really am curious!  I'm sure you're not allowed to confirm or deny before the announcement, but if I had to guess...

• Original theatrical Cantonese Mono, with Lorelei in the same language
  • Cantonese 5.1 remix, with Lorelei in the same language, as presented on the likes of the HKL DVD
  • Cantonese (any format), with Flight of the Dragon (High Upon High) in the same language
  • Cantonese (any format), with Lorelei in English
  • Cantonese (any format), with Flight of the Dragon in English
  • Original Export English Dub, with Flight of the Dragon in English
  • Original Export English Dub, with Lorelei in English

Either of the last two could be also be the alternate dub where Jackie provided his own voice, but I'm going to assume that rights issues might keep that one out of reach.

Edited by starschwar
  • Like 5

actionfan93
16 hours ago, ZenkaigerBat said:

Those are going to be tough to follow thru. Donnie Yen will be tougher depending what era of flims they can get if it's his 80's/90's flims then i'm afraid they will be issues on who holds the rights.   I look foward to seeing Armour of God getting released by 88 flims along with Half a Loaf of Kung Fu.   

I hope somehow they can figure out a way to get Tiger Cage 1 and Tiger Cage 2, In the Line of Duty 4.   But we'll just have to see.

Tiger Cage 2's rights are held by fortune star and they also hold the rights to in the line of duty 1-4 and I think they hold the rights to tiger Cage as well 

• Like 2

For anyone interested in 88 Films release of Stephen Chow's Forbidden City Cop, I just uploaded a quick unboxing video to my channel, checking out whats included inside the first print release..

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Irongod2112 said:

I'm really hoping there's a hybrid track in there!

• Like 6

ZenkaigerBat
58 minutes ago, LiuYiLong said:

For anyone interested in 88 Films release of Stephen Chow's Forbidden City Cop, I just uploaded a quick unboxing video to my channel, checking out whats included inside the first print release..

Nice video, fan of your  Youtube channel

1 hour ago, actionfan93 said:

Tiger Cage 2's rights are held by fortune star and they also hold the rights to in the line of duty 1-4 and I think they hold the rights to tiger Cage as well 

I presume they would have all three Tiger Cage flims, not just two.  I hope someday  those flims including In the Line of Duty flims will get the remastering treatment.  I'm also talking about Donnie's flims outside of Tiger Cage like Crystal Hunt, Cheetah on Fire and  High Voltage etc that will be hard to get since the rights  are all over the place.  But you never know i hope someday we can get some Donnie Yen flims from 88 in the future.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Drunksnake said:

I'm really hoping there's a hybrid track in there!

Oh, do the dubs have different music besides the end credits?  Interesting.  I can't imagine anything improving on the Canto OST though.  But it's always good to have options.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, LiuYiLong said:

I dont know this movie. Is there any martial arts included?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, starschwar said:

Oh, do the dubs have different music besides the end credits?  Interesting.  I can't imagine anything improving on the Canto OST though.  But it's always good to have options.

I read that this release may have a hybrid language track. Chinese people speak Cantonese and the Europeans speak English. Fingers crossed.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AslanBey said:

I dont know this movie. Is there any martial arts included?

There is yes, but they're largely played for laughs. Best to consider the film much more of a comedy than a MA film.

• Like 7