The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

KenHashibe
2 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

is the german snake in the eagle bluray good?

It’s a great release! It has both versions, the original and the alternate music version. I’ll still be getting the 88 Films release. I posted a short review of the German release in this thread...

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

chen lung
20 hours ago, cooksandkungfoodle said:

It wasn’t included my friend on the blu ray. Which is a shame 

The one that’s on the Blu-ray is the original. The other - possibly commissioned by Serafim Karalexis - is really the alternate soundtrack, which we couldn’t get approval for.

By the way: unlike the German Blu-ray, the subtitles are a translation based on the Cantonese soundtrack.

• Like 10

Just got home to find my copy of Snake in Eagles Shadow had been "delivered" by Amazon by them leaving it outside my house in the pouring rain, unbelievable!! I've been on to customer services and asked why the package couldn't be posted through the letterbox (it would easily fit) and the guy told me only Royal Mail are allowed to post through a letterbox, WTF!!! Has anybody else heard of this nonsense, I won't be using Amazon again. I'm going to try & arrange a return as i'm not accepting a rain soaked parcel and i'll order direct from 88 Films in future. Sorry to derail the thread a little with this but i've been looking forward to SITES since it was first announced and i am beyond pissed off right now.

• Like 2
  • Angry 3

venom10463
43 minutes ago, andy338 said:

Just got home to find my copy of Snake in Eagles Shadow had been "delivered" by Amazon by them leaving it outside my house in the pouring rain, unbelievable!! I've been on to customer services and asked why the package couldn't be posted through the letterbox (it would easily fit) and the guy told me only Royal Mail are allowed to post through a letterbox, WTF!!! Has anybody else heard of this nonsense, I won't be using Amazon again. I'm going to try & arrange a return as i'm not accepting a rain soaked parcel and i'll order direct from 88 Films in future. Sorry to derail the thread a little with this but i've been looking forward to SITES since it was first announced and i am beyond pissed off right now.

It's the same in the U.S. Mail receptacles are only authorized for use by the postal service. We are authorized to seize packages not delivered by us and charge the courier service for using our box.

Edited by venom10463

20 minutes ago, venom10463 said:

It's the same in the U.S. Mail receptacles are only authorized for use by the postal service. We are authorized to seize packages not delivered by us and charge the courier service for using our box.

I've not heard of this before though and all previous Amazon orders have been posted through the letterbox, it even says this on the website "Delivery Information - If no one is at the address, we'll post the parcel through your letter box, leave it in your preferred safe place, or deliver to a neighbour. We require a signature on delivery for all parcels valued at £100 or more." There's no way i'm using them again if this is company policy, my parcel was left on a communal pathway in the pouring rain, obviously it could be stolen, stepped upon or just blown/washed away by the weather.

venom10463
27 minutes ago, andy338 said:

I've not heard of this before though and all previous Amazon orders have been posted through the letterbox, it even says this on the website "Delivery Information - If no one is at the address, we'll post the parcel through your letter box, leave it in your preferred safe place, or deliver to a neighbour. We require a signature on delivery for all parcels valued at £100 or more." There's no way i'm using them again if this is company policy, my parcel was left on a communal pathway in the pouring rain, obviously it could be stolen, stepped upon or just blown/washed away by the weather.

It's not something that is known to the public. Some Amazon drivers will follow the rules and some won't. When I was carrying mail, if the package didn't limit adding more mail into the box, I would leave it in there.

2 hours ago, andy338 said:

That's rubbish, Amazon delivery guy always puts it through my letterbox if it fits. In fact they put one through this afternoon.

15 hours ago, saltysam said:

That's rubbish, Amazon delivery guy always puts it through my letterbox if it fits. In fact they put one through this afternoon.

I've been ordering from Amazon for years and must have had 100s of items delivered through the letterbox which is what i'd expect, this is the first time this has happened. I feel that when I complained to Amazon rather than simply admit they made a mistake and apologise they decided to double down on the incident and claim it was acceptable and then tried to explain it by saying that only Royal Mail are allowed to use letter boxes! This made it worse, their customer service is terrible.

reason108
On 5/1/2021 at 2:05 AM, thehangman said:

is the jump from the edited cat vs snake scene very noticeable in snake?

On 88`s release, if you didn't know it was edited then you wouldn't be able to tell. In some ways, it's a better edited scene now than before.

• Like 9

Finally got around to listening to the @OldPangYau and @KUNG FU BOB commentary on the New Fist of Fury blu ray. Very entertaining and informative commentary. I'm used to Brandon's excellent work but @KUNG FU BOB more than held his own. I'm not a fan of the Jet Li movie, The Master but I might have to pick it up just for the commentary now.

Btw, @KUNG FU BOB I know you did Robo Geisha for Midori Impuls but what other titles did you work on for them?

• Like 6

Any chance of PAINTED FACES (1988)? I finally got round to picking up the IVL DVD, decent SD transfer but I’d LOVE a Blu...wouldn’t you?

And then of course, again:

KNOCKABOUT

DREADNAUGHT

THE VICTIM

THE PRODIGAL SON

WARRIORS TWO

ENCOUNTER OF THE SPOOKY KIND II

PEDICAB DRIVER

🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Edited by WaverBoy
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

Any chance of PAINTED FACES (1988)? I finally got round to picking up the IVL DVD, decent SD transfer but I’d LOVE a Blu...wouldn’t you?

KNOCKABOUT

DREADNAUGHT

THE VICTIM

THE PRODIGAL SON

WARRIORS TWO

PEDICAB DRIVER

🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

I think Spooky 2 and Pedicab are Warner owned and they want a fortune to licence.So doubtful. I've never seen a decent print for The Victim, at this point i'd settle for a decent proper scope ratio DVD. The other titles on your list i'd bet big money they'll all arrive in the next 12 months. Painted Faces is/was available on a HK blu.

Edited by saltysam
  • Like 4

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
On 5/5/2021 at 12:04 AM, Django said:

88 Films has announced THE CHINESE BOXER, THE FLAG OF IRON AND DISCIPLES OF SHAOLIN

And... there's work being done to try to make these 88 Films Shaw Brothers releases a bit more special than just being simply HD releases of classics. :cool

17 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

Finally got around to listening to the @OldPangYau and @KUNG FU BOB commentary on the New Fist of Fury blu ray. Very entertaining and informative commentary. I'm used to Brandon's excellent work but @KUNG FU BOB more than held his own. I'm not a fan of the Jet Li movie, The Master but I might have to pick it up just for the commentary now.

Btw, @KUNG FU BOB I know you did Robo Geisha for Midori Impuls but what other titles did you work on for them?

Thanks @Yihetuan. I have to give most of the credit to @OldPangYau for that though, as he did a ton of research and had prepared lots of notes for the NEW FIST OF FURY commentary. As it was for the longer version of the film he asked me if I'd come on to help him fill in some of the empty space with my hot air, and I was happy to help. :wink: He's not only a cool friend, but also a terrific guy to collaborate with (he was responsible for all the technical setup on the comm too).

Well if you do, I hope you enjoy it. THE MASTER may not be one of Jet's best, but I think it's unfairly maligned. The production was a bit troubled (which I get into in the commentary), but it still features Jet in a charming role, and both he and Yuen Wah get to perform some exciting fight choreography sans wires. A rarity for Jet especially during that time period. The Blu-ray also features another commentary by Mike Leeder and Arne Venema (I haven't listened to it yet) and a bunch of other excellent features.

For Midori Impuls, in addition to ROBOGEISHA, I also did covers for BLACK KISS, SCHOOLGIRL APOCALYPSE, and LOVE DEATH (although, I'm not sure if this last one actually got released or not). See attached images.

9 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

KNOCKABOUT

DREADNAUGHT

THE VICTIM

THE PRODIGAL SON

WARRIORS TWO

PEDICAB DRIVER

🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

4 hours ago, saltysam said:

I think Spooky 2 and Pedicab are Warner owned and they want a fortune to licence.So doubtful. I've never seen a decent print for The Victim, at this point i'd settle for a decent proper scope ratio DVD. The other titles on your list i'd bet big money they'll all arrive in the next 12 months. Painted Faces is/was available on a HK blu.

@WaverBoy I'd also love releases of everything on your list. @saltysam is correct about those two being owned by Warner, though who knows, maybe someone will be able to license these titles from them. And he's also right about the seeming lack of a decent source for THE VICTIM. Which is simply criminal!

I have the Hong Kong Blu-ray of PAINTED FACES, but haven't opened it yet.

DVD_C_Front.jpg

BlackKiss C3D.jpg

RoboGeisha_D_v01_small.jpg

LOVE DEATH (For Site).jpg

• Like 7
  • Buddha Bless You 1

@KUNG FU BOB, thanks for the info. yeah, I'll have to give The Master another go for sure. Those covers for Midori Impuls are awesome. I especially like the Love Death one. I remember I had the mediabook in my Amazon.de cart for the longest time but didn't pull the trigger for one reason or another and then Covid hit and the prices went through the roof and I think it went OOP now.

• Like 2

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
11 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

@KUNG FU BOB, thanks for the info. yeah, I'll have to give The Master another go for sure. Those covers for Midori Impuls are awesome. I especially like the Love Death one. I remember I had the mediabook in my Amazon.de cart for the longest time but didn't pull the trigger for one reason or another and then Covid hit and the prices went through the roof and I think it went OOP now.

Thanks!

Aw, sorry to hear that you missed out on it. It's a very entertaining film.

• Like 3

ShawAngela

Does anyone else experienced this issue ?

When Jackie is on the beach building his cat's technique, there is a freezing for a few seconds during one of his jumps (at the beginning of the sequence) before the rest of the movie properly runs.

• Like 1

ShawAngela
13 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

I love Jet's The Master. For me, it's a great movie, at least as great as Fist of Legend or Tai Chi Master, but it seems that some people don't like Fist of Legend either...I must be a particular case...:bs_laughing:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
10 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

I love Jet's The Master. For me, it's a great movie, at least as great as Fist of Legend or Tai Chi Master, but it seems that some people don't like Fist of Legend either...I must be a particular case...:bs_laughing:

I don't like it as much as FIST OF LEGEND... :itwasntme but I like it a lot more than most people it seems. :nerd: I was surprised when I first started hearing people say that they didn't like FIST OF LEGEND though. But hey, opinions differ. There are films that seem to generally be loved that I'm not that impressed by too. Everyone hails BLOOD BROTHERS as a classic, whereas I think it's just okay. And it seems AZUMI is a fan favorite, but I thought it was extremely weak and that the heroine was completely unconvincing as a fighter. I'd seen it in the theater, was disappointed, but then picked it up on DVD because of all the raves, thinking I'd maybe missed something the first time around. I didn't.

• Like 8

ZenkaigerBat
On 5/7/2021 at 12:54 PM, saltysam said:

Yup, Warners owns these flims as much they own Drunken Master 2 and Dragon Fight where it's doing time at a Warners vault for many decades awaiting its parole and release for the world to see Jet Li and Stephen Chow's first and only flim they did together before becoming house hold names in HK.

• Like 3

starschwar

There are people that dislike Fist of Legend?  As in, on its own merits and not in comparison to Fist of Fury?  I mean, there's no shortage of opinions on everything, but I'm unfamiliar with any specific criticism. 

Speaking of, is there a good Blu-Ray release of that one, or is that still something to look forward to down the line?  Last I checked, everything either had dubtitles, or omitted the epilogue text.  To say nothing of the extended Taiwanese version.  I've been out of the loop for a long time, though.

• Like 3

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
14 hours ago, starschwar said:

There are people that dislike Fist of Legend?  As in, on its own merits and not in comparison to Fist of Fury?  I mean, there's no shortage of opinions on everything, but I'm unfamiliar with any specific criticism. 

Speaking of, is there a good Blu-Ray release of that one, or is that still something to look forward to down the line?  Last I checked, everything either had dubtitles, or omitted the epilogue text.  To say nothing of the extended Taiwanese version.  I've been out of the loop for a long time, though.

Yes, surprisingly, it has a lot of fans less than impressed.

We're all still waiting on a proper Blu-ray release of it.

• Like 4

Super Ninja
On 5/8/2021 at 8:29 PM, KUNG FU BOB said:

I don't like it as much as FIST OF LEGEND... :itwasntme but I like it a lot more than most people it seems. :nerd: I was surprised when I first started hearing people say that they didn't like FIST OF LEGEND though. But hey, opinions differ. There are films that seem to generally be loved that I'm not that impressed by too. Everyone hails BLOOD BROTHERS as a classic, whereas I think it's just okay. And it seems AZUMI is a fan favorite, but I thought it was extremely weak and that the heroine was completely unconvincing as a fighter. I'd seen it in the theater, was disappointed, but then picked it up on DVD because of all the raves, thinking I'd maybe missed something the first time around. I didn't.

Another The Master fan here! And Fist of Legend fan, Azumi fan (don't like the sequel though) and a fan who thinks Blood Brothers is a classic, one of CC's finest moments as a director actually. :hvb_so_proud:

• Like 3