The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

ZenkaigerBat

I hope maybe  someday  the Yuen Biao flim Champions can get released with a better restoration with both the soundtracks from both the HK/Japanese print of the flim.

• Like 5

Am I right in thinking that 88 Films/Eureka basically have the rights to release all the titles that the Hong Kong Legends label did? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, andy338 said:

Am I right in thinking that 88 Films/Eureka basically have the rights to release all the titles that the Hong Kong Legends label did? 

No.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2021 at 5:37 PM, KenHashibe said:

I think that the different Cantonese mono options were similar in quality, but I was shocked that the Cantonese 5.1 mix isn't bad at all, given Fortune Star's horrific track record. The dialogue sounded good, the music was more clear than I've ever heard it before, and the sound effects all sounded like the original sound effects, instead of modernizing them which often ruins their previous audio mixes.

• Original Cantonese mono = as produced at the time of original production.
  • New Cantonese mono = produced from the stems for higher quality [exclusive].
  • 5.1 Cantonese = produced from the stems and stereo music for the best experience [exclusive].

The English export dub is also hilarious, and strangely enough, the English voice-acting is significantly better than the English voice-acting in the original Cantonese.

I think the English side on both tracks was handled by Annie Mathers. It sounds like Simon Broad is one of the voice artists.

• Like 5

Chemical Lemon

Uggghhhh...  apparently 2 aspects of this April fools post are legitimate... god I hope Human lanterns is one of them

——————

88 Films Q3 Announcements

Ok, for once we’ve got our @#$% together and we’re ready to announce Q3 earlier than normal and its full of some of our best ever releases.

First up, Category III - The Untold Story of Hong Kong Exploitation. (Not officially licensed from Calum Waddell so don’t tell him) but we love a laugh. We’re gong to burn this 1 at a time to fulfil the demand so deliveries may take longer than normal… (UK only) “Totally…..accurate” Mike Leeder

Second Up, Human Lanterns, we’re expanding the successful 88 Asia Shaw Bros collection but this time it’s available in both Region B and Region A, that’s right, 88 is coming to the USA baby, lock up your daughters and even better we’re not asking for a crowd-fund to make it happen! (UK and USA)

Third up, i’m afraid that time has come, after 50 exciting, delighting, obscure, amazing real slashers (and Dead of Winter) the Slasher Collection is coming to an end….. but oh boy what an end, with probably the the most seminal puppet slasher ever made apart from maybe the 7th sequel, Puppet Master finishes up the 88 Slasher Collection. Limited to 888 copies so get you pre-order in quick! (UK only)

Finally the complete collection you never realised you needed on your shelf! From Don Bluth, George Lucas and Steven Spielberg, The Land Before Time - The Complete Collection  - All 14 Films!! All with audio commentaries by Dave Wain and Matty Budrewicz from the Schlock Pit, and with new 4K transfers and Atmos soundtracks, enjoy the adventures of Ducky, Littlefoot, Petrie and Spike as they search for the lost valley again and again in this very special boxset, also includes 40 holographic post-papers of your favourite characters. (UK only)

All dates, extras and titles TBC

P.S. Bonus announcement, Jean Claude Van Damme in Albert Pyun’s Cyborg! More details coming soon.

• Like 5

I think the correct ones will be Cyborg & Human Lanterns. There's some bad blood between them and Calum Waddell i think hence the mickeytaking about the Doc and Puppet Master they released ages ago.

• Like 5

Quick question, which releases have a Kung Fu Bob foldout poster included in the limited edition? If I'm not mistaken, I think it's...

1. Dragon Lord
  2. Shaolin Wooden Men
  3. Spiritual Kung Fu
  4. The Master
  5. The Young Master
  6. Snake in the Eagle's Shadow (when it's released)
  • Like 7

Omni Dragon
34 minutes ago, KenHashibe said:

Quick question, which releases have a Kung Fu Bob foldout poster included in the limited edition? If I'm not mistaken,

Also The Eight Diagram Pole Fighter

• Like 8

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

My cover art for 88 Films' upcoming Blu-ray release of Stephen Chow's FORBIDDEN CITY COP has been revealed...

FORBIDDEN CITY COPDF5-C0-F59-47-CA-4938-8206-F17-FC56-C3-B5-B.jpg

• Like 22
  • Buddha Bless You 3

3 minutes ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

My cover art for 88 Films' upcoming Blu-ray release of Stephen Chow's FORBIDDEN CITY COP has been revealed...

OH YES!! I love this movie and the artwork perfectly suits how wild and colorful it is! Amazing art as always!

With so many 88 Films releases coming out, I don't how you're able to keep the quality/quantity of the art so high!!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, defangthewolf said:

does 88 films have the ability to license drunken master 2 for a uk release using warner's 2k restoration?

Highly unlikely ,Warner don't routinely licence out.I believe they were asked about Pedicab Driver and the amount they wanted was eye watering.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

thundered mantis
On 4/10/2021 at 3:37 AM, KUNG FU BOB said:

Holy cow! Just want to get it for the cover alone

• Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

1 hour ago, saltysam said:

Highly unlikely ,Warner don't routinely licence out.I believe they were asked about Pedicab Driver and the amount they wanted was eye watering.

Yeah, and it’s absolutely galling because it’s obvious WB doesn’t give a rat’s ass about HK films, as not only couldn’t they be arsed to do proper subtitles for MR. NICE GUY, one of Jackie’s worst films, they won’t even do it for DRUNKEN MASTER II, one of the last great films of Hong Kong’s Golden Age of Cinema. Pathetic and an insult to the filmmakers and we Blu-buying fans.

Edited by WaverBoy
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

actionfan93
29 minutes ago, WaverBoy said:

Yeah, and it’s absolutely galling because it’s obvious WB doesn’t give a rat’s ass about HK films, as not only couldn’t they be arsed to do proper subtitles for MR. NICE GUY, one of Jackie’s worst films, they won’t even do it for DRUNKEN MASTER II, one of the last great films of Hong Kong’s Golden Age of Cinema. Pathetic and an insult to the filmmakers and we Blu-buying fans.

at least Warner is putting out High Quality versions of Mr. Nice Guy Uncut and Drunken Master II uncut if they didn't care at all we'd never have seen those happen Mr Nice Guy would never have seen an upgrade from its dvd version if that was the case and I can only hope First Strike and Who Am I are coming in the near future as well I do wonder what they will do with Rumble in the Bronx I would assume release a version with the Uncut and cut version included after cleaning both up but with how things are going with Warner Archive who knows what their future plans are I do hope those 3 get released before and if they decide to call it quits on that side of their business otherwise those 3 will never see upgrades

• Like 5

3 hours ago, saltysam said:

It’s strange because a small German company like Asia-line released pedicab Driver and I’m pretty sure they are not loaded with funds a nice release just a shame no English subtitles as stated on their dvd case. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Graysman said:

It’s strange because a small German company like Asia-line released pedicab Driver and I’m pretty sure they are not loaded with funds a nice release just a shame no English subtitles as stated on their dvd case. 

Pretty sure Pedicab Driver is an unauthorised boot of the Warner DVD-R

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, saltysam said:

Pretty sure Pedicab Driver is an unauthorised boot of the Warner DVD-R

Most probably illegal booty by Asia-Line then?

• Like 2

Just now, Graysman said:

Most probably illegal booty by Asia-Line then?

Yes, it was mentioned somewhere ,not sure if on here.They've took the Warner print and added the german dub (assume it's got the german dub?) and removed the english sdh subtitles (leaving them on would be a dead giveaway it was a rip of the Warner,likely why they aren't included despite it being advertised on the packaging)

• Like 3

ZenkaigerBat
4 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

Yeah......Explains why they're still holding Dragon Fight hostage in the Warners vault.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, saltysam said:

Yes, it was mentioned somewhere ,not sure if on here.They've took the Warner print and added the german dub (assume it's got the german dub?) and removed the english sdh subtitles (leaving them on would be a dead giveaway it was a rip of the Warner,likely why they aren't included despite it being advertised on the packaging)

No German dub only original Cantonese 

• Like 3