The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

13 hours ago, KenHashibe said:

I believe this is a scan of a Japanese VHS. I'm not sure if it's the exact same one that you're referring to, but it's still cool to see the original titles for the film:

https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm11809480

Indeed it is! I was once in touch with a guy who was going to transfer his VHS to DVD for me so I could compare it to the EH DVD. Nothing came of it, unfortunately, but it was definitely cool to see another version.

• Like 4

Iron Head Rat
On 3/16/2021 at 8:22 AM, ChanKongSang said:

It's on 88 Films' THE YOUNG MASTER Blu-ray release, Disc 1 - Extended Fight Scenes: reconstructed and previously unavailable [6 mins]

Enjoy!

Haven't watched mine yet, so sweet..:monk_swinging:Thanks mate.

• Like 2

OpiumKungFuCracker

Man I need to take some pictures of that Young Master box set. It's technically a boxset the way the packaging is. Beautiful absolutely beautiful. 

• Like 6

It appears that some Shaw Bros. titles have disappeared from 88’s shop, with BLACK MAGIC, PEKING MAN and INFRAMAN among them. Did I miss something? Are they out of print? I had the latter two already and I just snagged BM on eBay for a good price, so I’m covered for those, but I’m sad they’re out of print already.

Edited by WaverBoy
  • Like 2

cooksandkungfoodle
On 3/17/2021 at 9:46 PM, Daxtreme said:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

There is a cut of YES MADAM with that??! Holy shit

I have to see that!

Buy the hkl dvd the sammo cameo is on there 👌

Edited by cooksandkungfoodle
  • Like 4

ZenkaigerBat

I would love 88 flims to release more Jet Li flims.

Including  a deluxe edition of Black Mask having the HK Cut/Taiwanese extended cut/US cut/  Behind the scenes feature with interviews with commentary of course.

Also i feel  Donnie Yen and Michelle Yeoh get some releases too.  Like the Tiger Cage flims.  Heroic Trio and Wing Chun.

Chow Yun-Fat  Prison on Fire. City on Fire. Full Contact uncut.

• Like 6

On 3/20/2021 at 1:47 PM, ZenkaigerBat said:

Including  a deluxe edition of Black Mask having the HK Cut/Taiwanese extended cut/US cut/  Behind the scenes feature with interviews with commentary of course.

Also i feel  Donnie Yen and Michelle Yeoh get some releases too.  Like the Tiger Cage flims.  Heroic Trio and Wing Chun.

Some great picks! Would love to see the entire "On Fire" trilogy as a set, but a Chow Yun Fat set would also be incredible.

As for Donnie Yen, this is a huge stretch, but would love to see Drunken Tai Chi which I have a massive soft spot for. And it could include the different edits of the film (I think it's just the HK version and an extended Taiwanese version). Would love to see this movie in HD one day. Who's with me? .....No one?

Mismatched Couples, anyone?

• Like 5

Chemical Lemon
2 hours ago, KenHashibe said:

Mismatched Couples is probably the top of my list. Truly one of the movies I can watch over and over and not get tired of it. Any of the miracle fighters and Yuen Biao movies not far behind.  

• Like 7

On 3/20/2021 at 1:47 PM, ZenkaigerBat said:

To add onto what you were saying about Jet Li, I would absolutely love to see more Jet Li movies getting releases. I feel like that's a great "next step" after 88 Films or Eureka have gone through the Jackie/Sammo/Yuen films since Jet Li is an international star. I just realized that amazing films like Fong Sai Yuk and Fist of Legend haven't gotten uncut Blu-ray releases (at least that I'm aware of). There were releases in America, but the transfers weren't the best and they were cut.

There are also a lot of other films that have HD remasters released in HK, but would be cool to see the "88 Films" treatment:

https://www.dddhouse.hk/products?query=jet li

58 minutes ago, Chemical Lemon said:

Mismatched Couples is probably the top of my list. Truly one of the movies I can watch over and over and not get tired of it. Any of the miracle fighters and Yuen Biao movies not far behind.  

I'm glad I'm not the only one!! :laugh

e46ea84fcdeda468ff1ae132935350488db1ae77

Edited by KenHashibe
  • Like 7

ZenkaigerBat
13 hours ago, KenHashibe said:

To add onto what you were saying about Jet Li, I would absolutely love to see more Jet Li movies getting releases. I feel like that's a great "next step" after 88 Films or Eureka have gone through the Jackie/Sammo/Yuen films since Jet Li is an international star. I just realized that amazing films like Fong Sai Yuk and Fist of Legend haven't gotten uncut Blu-ray releases (at least that I'm aware of). There were releases in America, but the transfers weren't the best and they were cut.

There are also a lot of other films that have HD remasters released in HK, but would be cool to see the "88 Films" treatment:

I couldn't agree with you more.  As much as i was okay with DD releasing Fong Sai Yuk and Fist of Legend.  They didn't have the best transfer or even uncut.  My Fathers is a Hero aka The awful title The Enforcer it's quality was so poor i decided to sell after one viewing of it.  I strongly hope one day Fist of Legend gets the best release from either company along side the Fong Sai Yuk flims, Tai-Chi Master and The Fong Sai Yuk flims.

• Like 7

actionfan93

I'll change my wishlist for 88,Eureka or any other company these are the best of what I originally listed and I think these deserve the blu-ray treatment though the other girls with guns would be nice I would be ecstatic to just have these released on high quality blu-ray if these were all that were possible

Girls With Guns

Angel-unknown rights holder

Royal Warriors-Fortune Star

In the Line of Duty 3-Fortune Star

The Blonde Fury-Fortune Star

Killer Angels-Fortune Star? it was a golden Harvest production and was not bought up by Warner

Outlaw Brothers-unknown current rights holder possibly Movie Impact LTD still owns rights to it

Beauty Investigator Uncut-New Treasurer Films LTD

other Hong Kong Action

First Strike-Warner

Who Am I- Warner or Sony?

Tiger Cage 2-Fortune Star

In the Line of Duty 4-Fortune Star

Righting Wrongs- Fortune Star

• Like 6

On 3/22/2021 at 9:39 AM, ZenkaigerBat said:

I couldn't agree with you more.  As much as i was okay with DD releasing Fong Sai Yuk and Fist of Legend.  They didn't have the best transfer or even uncut.  My Fathers is a Hero aka The awful title The Enforcer it's quality was so poor i decided to sell after one viewing of it.  I strongly hope one day Fist of Legend gets the best release from either company along side the Fong Sai Yuk flims, Tai-Chi Master and The Fong Sai Yuk flims.

I own those same Dragon Dynasty Blu-ray's, and I've revisited them many many times. Very grateful that they contain the Cantonese mono. But yes, as mentioned, not the best transfers and cut.

16 hours ago, actionfan93 said:

I'll change my wishlist for 88,Eureka or any other company these are the best of what I originally listed and I think these deserve the blu-ray treatment though the other girls with guns would be nice I would be ecstatic to just have these released on high quality blu-ray if these were all that were possible

Girls With Guns

Angel-unknown rights holder

Royal Warriors-Fortune Star

In the Line of Duty 3-Fortune Star

The Blonde Fury-Fortune Star

Killer Angels-Fortune Star? it was a golden Harvest production and was not bought up by Warner

Outlaw Brothers-unknown current rights holder possibly Movie Impact LTD still owns rights to it

Beauty Investigator Uncut-New Treasurer Films LTD

other Hong Kong Action

First Strike-Warner

Who Am I- Warner or Sony?

Tiger Cage 2-Fortune Star

In the Line of Duty 4-Fortune Star

Righting Wrongs- Fortune Star

I'm gonna echo The Outlaw Brothers. Not because I love the movie, but because I've never seen it. :laugh The Dragon Dynasty DVD is out-of-print and going for tons of money, and I can't find a copy of it anywhere. The clips I've seen online are incredibly entertaining. Wouldn't mind seeing it, though it's not at the top of my list for movies I'm dying to see get an amazing Blu-ray release.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, nectarsis said:

Thank you sir! 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
Got five SB titles for $70 shipped, not bad! Brave Archer, Enchanting Ghost, Ghost Lovers, Bride From Hell, and Bewitched, all sight unseen. Hope they’re good!

🙏🏻📽🙏🏻📽🙏🏻

Edited by WaverBoy
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, WaverBoy said:

Thank you sir! 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
Got five SB titles for $70 shipped, not bad! Brave Archer, Enchanting Ghost, Ghost Lovers, Bride From Hell, and Bewitched, all sight unseen. Hope they’re good!

🙏🏻📽🙏🏻📽🙏🏻

I picked Bewitched a couple months ago and Brave Archer off Amazon RIGHT before i saw this :/ LOL

20210324_213446.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, WaverBoy said:

Thank you sir! 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

🙏🏻📽🙏🏻📽🙏🏻

I picked Bewitched a couple months ago and Brave Archer off Amazon RIGHT before i saw this :/ LOL

• Like 4

I just wanted to post some quick thoughts on The Master Blu-ray which I bought last weekend.

Beautiful cover art as always (I almost feel this doesn't need to be said since I will say it every time :laugh). I loved looking at the A3 poster included so I could see all of the details (including references to the KFF Forum in the graffiti!). The audio options on this were really great too! I think that the different Cantonese mono options were similar in quality, but I was shocked that the Cantonese 5.1 mix isn't bad at all, given Fortune Star's horrific track record. The dialogue sounded good, the music was more clear than I've ever heard it before, and the sound effects all sounded like the original sound effects, instead of modernizing them which often ruins their previous audio mixes. The English export dub is also hilarious, and strangely enough, the English voice-acting is significantly better than the English voice-acting in the original Cantonese. And the 5.1 English sounds like trash, and very much a "Fortune Star 5.1 audio mix".

The commentary with Mike Leeder and Arne Venema was incredibly informative and hilarious. And I really loved Kung Fu Bob's audio commentary too. Very entertaining (I'm a big fan of the dad jokes :laugh), and there were so many details pointed out that I would have never noticed!

I still have the interviews to go through, but I still absolutely love this release, and I would certainly recommend picking it up while the A3 poster is still available! I used to hate this movie (and in many ways, I still do), but I certainly have a new-found appreciation for it. And it's certainly a step-up from the Universe DVD which is open-matte, revealing dolly tracks, mattresses, and crew members...

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.c78298cb906cac99e10f980cbeefdb05.jpg

FullSizeRender-1.thumb.jpg.f4fd832f81cfca9a257344196411d5a9.jpg

• Like 5

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
On 3/15/2021 at 6:08 PM, thundered mantis said:

@KUNG FU BOB thank you very much for spending your time to explain this issue so througly for the fans. I can totally understand it, as frustrating it may be. Let´s hope at least many of those independent films could be released with the care and respect Eureka and 88 are putting on their releases. Thank you to all the people involved (including @ChanKongSang, his featurette was the first one I watched on the release lol). Maybe the "medium big" companies like Goldig Films (they had a website going on till very recently I think), Seasonal or Hong Hwa can be safer ground. Anyway, we can be very happy with these spectacular releases we´re enjoying

No problem.

Before I knew a little bit about this stuff I was always thinking "Why can't they just do this ______ and release that _______?" and couldn't understand why it was such a big deal to "get it right". Seeing it from the other side though... whew!

On 3/16/2021 at 2:20 AM, Drunksnake said:

The deleted scene in Prodigal Son is when Yuen Biao returns home from training. He goes to a school to fight his two teachers his parents had hired to train (and lose) to him previously. If I remember correctly? Never seen it though, only stills.

I wonder if this was included on some versions. I feel like I may have seen it long ago. Anybody know?

On 3/16/2021 at 4:20 AM, Iron Head Rat said:

Watched my HKL version of the Odd Couple yesterday, hadn't seen it many years. Sammo & Lau Kar Wing, just so superb with those weapons. Beardy pretty good as the villain too. 

Still some of the greatest weapons work ever committed too film. Right up there with LEGENDARY WEAPONS OF CHINA and EIGHT DIAGRAM POLE FIGHTER. And whenever I see Beardy doing his thing I'm always astounded that he never had any legitimate martial arts training, only mimicking what the action choreographers showed him!

On 3/17/2021 at 12:06 AM, MobFu1972 said:

The Victim is the one that got me started with Kung Fu films. I went to a video store in Chicago in the late 90's and asked the guy working there to give me his best recommendation for a newbie for martial arts films. He handed me The Victim VHS and I was forever hooked. It would be amazing if The Victim got the Young Master Blu Ray treatment. One can only dream it could happen right?

@MobFu1972 that dude really hooked you up with THE VICTIM! I had some wonderful recommendations from video store people that led me to seeing Hong Kong favorites, so your story makes me feel nostalgic. One of the best was at a Chinese video store hidden in the back of a Vietnamese food market. I was so lucky to find this place because instead of having to drive deep into the city to go to Chinatown, this was only a half mile from my house. No one in there spoke English, and the older woman operating the counter was very confused as to why a white guy was trying to talk to her. She kept pointing to the movies and saying in a very thick accent "No English! Chinese!" Finally she went behind a curtain and returned with a very little boy- maybe 5 or 6 years old- her grandson, who spoke English. He was extremely smart, translated for us, and she reluctantly agreed to rent me films. But then to my surprise, this cute little tyke actually recommended some fantastic films to me! He had terrific taste. After a few visits the grandmom warmed up to me, would warmly greet me, and call out to her grandson who would excitedly run out to "guide me". Eventually, each time I would go in there I would get down on my knees (which still had me towering over him) and play kung fu fight with him. He would laugh so joyously when I would succumb to his death blows and fall over to the floor. I was in all my glory, renting several films every few days for several months. Then one day I went there and the spot where the video store had been was empty. I tried asking some of the workers what had happened and if they had a new location, but no one could (or would) answer me except one lady that simply said "They go." I never saw them again.

Anyway... (old dude rambles on about old memories :tongue:) I'd fight to be first in line to get a Blu-ray release of THE VICTIM!

On 3/20/2021 at 4:47 PM, ZenkaigerBat said:

Expand  

Yes, yes, yes to all of the above.

TVP- The Vengeance Pack released an incredible super deluxe edition of BLACK MASK with multiple versions on it. It would be so cool if 88 could somehow co-operate with them to release this film and use some of their restorations and features.

On 3/21/2021 at 7:43 PM, KenHashibe said:

Some great picks! Would love to see the entire "On Fire" trilogy as a set, but a Chow Yun Fat set would also be incredible.

As for Donnie Yen, this is a huge stretch, but would love to see Drunken Tai Chi which I have a massive soft spot for. And it could include the different edits of the film (I think it's just the HK version and an extended Taiwanese version). Would love to see this movie in HD one day. Who's with me? .....No one?

Expand  

DRUNKEN TAI CHI is a lot of fun (besides the wince-inducing firecracker scene!) and Donnie is a powerhouse in his debut role. His kung fu and use of the steel whip is extremely impressive. I still hold a little grudge against the film though for false advertising, as the film doesn't feature Donnie doing any "Drunken Tai Chi". :unsure:

On 3/21/2021 at 10:34 PM, Chemical Lemon said:

Although it would be low on my list, under things like PEDICAB DRIVER, RUMBLE IN THE BRONX, THE HEROIC TRIO, YES, MADAM and the films mentioned below, I'd enjoy a Blu of MISMATCHED COUPLES. When I met Donnie he mentioned that he had done a lot of "bad films" and I said that this film was one my buddy Mike and I enjoyed a lot, that it was "of its time" and that his breakin' in it and comedy were still very fun to watch. He seemed to appreciate that.

On 3/21/2021 at 11:32 PM, KenHashibe said:

Expand  

On 3/22/2021 at 12:39 PM, ZenkaigerBat said:

Expand  

Fingers crossed for all these Jet Li titles.

It's been frustrating trying to enjoy these movies for the past couple of decades. They are always compromised in some annoying way. Just look at this exerpt from DVD Compare on available DVD versions of FONG SAI-YUK:

OVERALL: Draw

- R2 Japan has the full version of the movie and an anamorphic transfer, but it isn't English friendly.
- If you require English subtitles, R0 HK also offers the full movie, but it isn't anamorphic.
- R1 CE (Dragon Dynasty) / R2 UK (Cine Asia) have by far the best extras, but are the shorter international cut (the UK with an additional 1 second cut).

https://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=2013

This is the case with most of Jet's titles, and it stinks.

I've kept my Universe Laser DVDs to have them uncut, but despite the much clearer and anamorphic picture I don't want to watch the chopped up Dragon Dynasty ones. I keep the DD ones for their special features only.

The TAI CHI MASTER Blu-ray that I have from the UK is the same as the DD release, and it's supposed "Original Cantonese Mono" audio does this horrible thing where the sound effects are suddenly much louder and sound like they're from a different audio track. It ruins the scenes! I've seen the film in 35mm and via the old Universe Laser DVD and this was not heard there. Plus, the DD DVD and BD are both 1.78:1 instead of 1.85:1.

8 hours ago, KenHashibe said:

I just wanted to post some quick thoughts on The Master Blu-ray which I bought last weekend.

Beautiful cover art as always (I almost feel this doesn't need to be said since I will say it every time :laugh). I loved looking at the A3 poster included so I could see all of the details (including references to the KFF Forum in the graffiti!). The audio options on this were really great too! I think that the different Cantonese mono options were similar in quality, but I was shocked that the Cantonese 5.1 mix isn't bad at all, given Fortune Star's horrific track record. The dialogue sounded good, the music was more clear than I've ever heard it before, and the sound effects all sounded like the original sound effects, instead of modernizing them which often ruins their previous audio mixes. The English export dub is also hilarious, and strangely enough, the English voice-acting is significantly better than the English voice-acting in the original Cantonese. And the 5.1 English sounds like trash, and very much a "Fortune Star 5.1 audio mix".

The commentary with Mike Leeder and Arne Venema was incredibly informative and hilarious. And I really loved Kung Fu Bob's audio commentary too. Very entertaining (I'm a big fan of the dad jokes :laugh), and there were so many details pointed out that I would have never noticed!

I still have the interviews to go through, but I still absolutely love this release, and I would certainly recommend picking it up while the A3 poster is still available! I used to hate this movie (and in many ways, I still do), but I certainly have a new-found appreciation for it. And it's certainly a step-up from the Universe DVD which is open-matte, revealing dolly tracks, mattresses, and crew members...

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.c78298cb906cac99e10f980cbeefdb05.jpg

FullSizeRender-1.thumb.jpg.f4fd832f81cfca9a257344196411d5a9.jpg

Expand  

@KenHashibe you spotted the forum shout-out "easter egged" into my art. :bigsmile:

Glad you enjoyed my commentary (even the "Dad jokes"). I haven't heard the one by Arne and Mike yet, but everybody says it's great. I'm sure I'm going to dig it. Yeah, 88's Blu is head and shoulders above that horribly framed Universe DVD, which was the only way to watch it for me for many years.

2 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

Will The Flying Guillotine Blu-ray be back in stock before the last chance to buy sale is over?

Sorry to say- I don't think so, brother. Hence the name of the sale- "last chance". :squigglemouth: I think they are selling off the last of their stock on titles for which their licensing is ending.

Not sure if you guys saw the final specs for the upcoming 88 release of SNAKE IN THE EAGLE'S SHADOW. It will be released on May 3rd.

SPECIAL FEATURES

Slipcase with brand-new artwork from R.P. “Kung Fu Bob” O’Brien [Limited Edition - first print run only]
Limited Edition Foldout poster and 4 collectable art cards [Limited Edition - first print run only]

DTS-HD MA Cantonese Mono
DTS-HD MA Mandarin Mono
DTS-HD MA Classic English Dub
Newly Remastered English Subtitles
Audio Commentary by Asian cinema experts Mike Leeder and Arne Venema
Audio Commentary by actor/stuntman John Kreng and R.P. “Kung Fu Bob” O’Brien
“Horan in the Eagles Shadow” an interview with Roy Horan
“Out of the Shadows” with HK film expert and film director George Clarke
US Opening Credits
Reconstructed Chinese Opening Credits
Original Hong Kong Trailer with English subtitles
English Trailer
US Trailer
Reversible sleeve with original Hong Kong poster artwork and brand-new artwork from R.P. “Kung Fu Bob” O’Brien

• Like 14

On 3/22/2021 at 3:32 AM, KenHashibe said:

Some more Jet Li would be great. Would love Fist Of Legend to have a hybrid track, Cantonese with the Miramax score would be perfect.

The Shaolin Temple trilogy would be awesome! Dragon Fight is another of his that needs some love. Last Hero In China too! So many.

• Like 5

Super Ninja
11 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Sorry to say- I don't think so, brother. Hence the name of the sale- "last chance". :squigglemouth: I think they are selling off the last of their stock on titles for which their licensing is ending.

Makes sense, I wanted to be sure before ordering. I'll get Guillotine from Terracotta then, and grab what I can while I can from 88.

• Like 3

ZenkaigerBat
9 hours ago, Drunksnake said:

Some more Jet Li would be great. Would love Fist Of Legend to have a hybrid track, Cantonese with the Miramax score would be perfect.

The Shaolin Temple trilogy would be awesome! Dragon Fight is another of his that needs some love. Last Hero In China too! So many.

If Warners didnt hold the rights to  Dragon Fight..... also having it in their vaults.  I'd love it to see the light of day.  

Shaolin Temple flims would be great to see most of all Shaolin Temple 1.

Other than that.  I'd love to see Fist of Legend with it's original music it's better fitting with any scene of the flim besides the action but i believe the fans should be able to listen to both if they're able to.

• Like 6

defangthewolf

would like to see burning paradise given the 88 films treatment. the late ringo lam's one and only martial arts output

• Like 6

On 3/22/2021 at 12:43 AM, KenHashibe said:

We will likely see a bluray release of Mismatched Couples from Panorama soon... I just hope it will use a genuine HD source and not an upscaled one like many of their most recent releases, and using the original mono soundtrack instead of a 5.1/downmixed one.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 8