The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

Super Ninja
1 minute ago, DragonClaws said:

Waited a long time for such great releases, and now there hear I just don't have the funds to buy them. I'll just have to do some catching up in the future.

Bro I know the feeling and it sucks. I missed out on Police Story box when Eureka first released it, had to get it later on second hand as it went OOP. I wanted the first print limited edition. What's worse, the package got lost in the mail, so I paid for it twice, but having it in my collection was worth it.

• Like 6

DragonClaws
8 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

Bro I know the feeling and it sucks. I missed out on Police Story box when Eureka first released it, had to get it later on second hand as it went OOP. I wanted the first print limited edition. What's worse, the package got lost in the mail, so I paid for it twice, but having it in my collection was worth it.

It's just how it goes, I've been waiting since the closure of Hong Kong Legends. For a decent U.K based label to start releasing these films again. That said, Im all for the great work the 88-Films team are doing with these releases. Picked up a couple of their Jackie Chan/Lo Wie re-issues, and really enjoyed seeing them fully restored in Wide-Screen.

• Like 6

Super Ninja
8 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

It's just how it goes, I've been waiting since the closure of Hong Kong Legends. For a decent U.K based label to start releasing these films again. That said, Im all for the great work the 88-Films team are doing with these releases. Picked up a couple of their Jackie Chan/Lo Wie re-issues, and really enjoyed seeing them fully restored in Wide-Screen.

I wasn't around when HKL was active, so I'm trying to make up for it now. I'd do collect their releases as well, but I'm really glad to have the chance to collect these films now as they are released by Eureka and 88. Got all the Jackie ones, even To Kill with Intrigue though a friend advised me to skip it because it's shite. I said I'll support nonetheless, it's investing in future releases. Can't wait for SITES now! 

• Like 4

Iron Head Rat
22 hours ago, saltysam said:

I don't think 88 restore prints themselves and i imagine if there are usable prints of these titles it wouldn't be a cheap enterprise and they'd have to be confident an investment would be worthwhile financially. I'd buy all the titles you mention but i don't see them being the lucrative sellers the JC titles are. I think they've even struggled with some of the Shaw Bros titles.

Gutted for all these indie films.. some crackerjack movies there:monk_crying:

• Like 4

Iron Head Rat
On 3/14/2021 at 11:03 AM, Drunksnake said:

It is a great release, I was stunned by the amount of effort that has clearly been put in. Was great to finally see the original uncut fight scenes. Makes me wonder what over unseen fight scenes from other movies still exist. Maybe the deleted scene from Prodigal Son?

Didn't know there was one. Where about in the movie?

• Like 4

ChanKongSang
3 hours ago, Iron Head Rat said:

I think Drunksnake might be referring to my extended fight scenes featurette.

• Like 4

DragonClaws
11 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

Got all the Jackie ones, even To Kill with Intrigue though a friend advised me to skip it because it's shite. I said I'll support nonetheless, it's investing in future releases. Can't wait for SITES now! 

To Kill with Intirgue & Killer Meteors are the two Lo Wei/Jackie Chan movie I've viewed the least. I had them all on bootleg VHS releases, recall the finale of TKWI having some decent kicking displays. I'm going to pick up the Blu-Ray, so I can re-visit it in a superior version.

• Like 5

thundered mantis
On 3/14/2021 at 8:45 PM, KUNG FU BOB said:

Hey guys, good questions, and films I'd also like to see get Blu-ray releases.

In a lot of cases it is far more difficult to legally release these films than you may imagine. I've been privy to individuals and companies trying to do this (with some very exciting "fan wish-list" titles), and it can be a logistical nightmare. One of the most challenging elements can be tracking down the individuals who own the rights. And contrary to what many people say, just because something is older doesn't mean it automatically falls into "public domain" and can be released by anyone with a print. If you release something without the legal right, sometimes nothing happens. Sometimes you get your balls sued off. Another huge obstacle is that a lot of the companies that own the films either don't want to be bothered about them, or they want to charge outrageous prices for licensing that no distributor could ever justify paying. There's a lot of both under and over-estimating their products' value, especially considering their age, the niche-fan base, and the moderate to small size of the companies trying to distribute them. And it doesn't help that some individuals are "claiming rights" to what they absolutely don't have rights to, and profiting with them on YouTube, streaming, torrenting, and bootlegging them too.

@KUNG FU BOB thank you very much for spending your time to explain this issue so througly for the fans. I can totally understand it, as frustrating it may be. Let´s hope at least many of those independent films could be released with the care and respect Eureka and 88 are putting on their releases. Thank you to all the people involved (including @ChanKongSang, his featurette was the first one I watched on the release lol). Maybe the "medium big" companies like Goldig Films (they had a website going on till very recently I think), Seasonal or Hong Hwa can be safer ground. Anyway, we can be very happy with these spectacular releases we´re enjoying

• Like 6
  • Buddha Bless You 2

15 hours ago, Iron Head Rat said:

The deleted scene in Prodigal Son is when Yuen Biao returns home from training. He goes to a school to fight his two teachers his parents had hired to train (and lose) to him previously. If I remember correctly? Never seen it though, only stills.

• Like 5

Wish list time!

Yuen Biao Three-Pack:

KNOCKABOUT

DREADNAUGHT

THE PRODIGAL SON

Sammo Hung Three-Pack:

ENTER THE FAT DRAGON (uncut!)

WARRIORS TWO

ODD COUPLE

Special Super Deluxe Limited Edition Box Set as fancy as THE YOUNG MASTER set:

THE VICTIM

• Like 8
  • Buddha Bless You 2

Iron Head Rat
13 hours ago, ChanKongSang said:

I think Drunksnake might be referring to my extended fight scenes featurette.

Where can i view that my man?

• Like 3

Iron Head Rat
37 minutes ago, WaverBoy said:

Wish list time!

Yuen Biao Three-Pack:

KNOCKABOUT

DREADNAUGHT

THE PRODIGAL SON

Sammo Hung Three-Pack:

WARRIORS TWO

ODD COUPLE

THE VICTIM

Watched my HKL version of the Odd Couple yesterday, hadn't seen it many years. Sammo & Lau Kar Wing, just so superb with those weapons. Beardy pretty good as the villain too. 

• Like 5

ChanKongSang
15 hours ago, Iron Head Rat said:

Where can i view that my man?

It's on 88 Films' THE YOUNG MASTER Blu-ray release, Disc 1 - Extended Fight Scenes: reconstructed and previously unavailable [6 mins]

Enjoy!

• Like 8

actionfan93

Well I'll throw up my wishlist for Eureka,88,Warner or any label and include the companies who supposedly own the rights to them

I grew up with english dubs so I do hope these if released have them

Girls With Guns

Angel-unknown rights holder

Angel Mission-unknown rights holder

Royal Warriors-Fortune Star

In the Line of Duty 3-Fortune Star

City Cops-unknown rights holder

The Blonde Fury-Fortune Star

A Punch To Revenge-unknown rights holder

Killer Angels-Fortune Star? it was a golden Harvest production and was not bought up by Warner

Outlaw Brothers-Fortune Star? It was a golden harvest production

Beauty Investigator Uncut-New Treasurer Films LTD

Devil Hunters-unknown rights holder

Angel Force-Unknown rights holder

Mission of Condor-unknown rights holder

Dreaming the Reality-unknown rights holder

Princess Madam-unknown rights holder

other Hong Kong Action

First Strike-Warner

Who Am I- Warner or Sony?

Tiger Cage 2-Fortune Star

In the Line of Duty 4-Fortune Star

Righting Wrongs- Fortune Star

• Like 6

TibetanWhiteCrane
54 minutes ago, actionfan93 said:

Outlaw Brothers-Fortune Star? It was a golden harvest production

Nope.... Movie Impact Ltd.

And while some upgrades on the GWG titles in particular would be great, I don't see that happening on a western label with dubs anytime soon... or ever.

• Like 2

actionfan93
2 minutes ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Nope.... Movie Impact Ltd.

And while some upgrades on the GWG titles in particular would be great, I don't see that happening on a western label with dubs anytime soon... or ever.

thanks for the reply and who knows I think it comes down to whats been restored or remastered or what will be or could be but I think Royal Warriors,The Blonde Fury  and in the line of Duty 3 have good chances if Fortune Star restores them but the biggest one is Angel who currently owns the rights to it and the rest as I am not sure which of the other companies are still in business if Molesworth Limited production is still around they would hold rights to Angel 1,2,3 and Angel Mission

• Like 4

I would love to see an uncut version of YES MADAM!. Apparently the HK theatrical cut is missing some good stuff...?

Count me in for:

YES MADAM!

ROYAL WARRIORS

IN THE LINE OF DUTY 3/4/5

MAGNIFICENT WARRIORS

SHE SHOOTS STRAIGHT

PROJECT S

I LOVE MARIA (aka ROBO FORCE — this is an amazing film)

Edited by WaverBoy
  • Like 6

sifu iron perm
43 minutes ago, WaverBoy said:

I would love to see an uncut version of YES MADAM!. Apparently the HK theatrical cut is missing some good stuff...?

Count me in for:

YES MADAM!

ROYAL WARRIORS

MAGNIFICENT WARRIORS

SHE SHOOTS STRAIGHT

PROJECT S

The international UK dub of Yes madam aka police assassins 2  misses a few scenes also, the sammo hung cameo scene.

But we all want the scene with the ladies fighting the old masters! 

• Like 7

20 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

Wish list time!

Yuen Biao Three-Pack:

KNOCKABOUT

DREADNAUGHT

THE PRODIGAL SON

Sammo Hung Three-Pack:

WARRIORS TWO

ODD COUPLE

THE VICTIM

The Victim is the one that got me started with Kung Fu films. I went to a video store in Chicago in the late 90's and asked the guy working there to give me his best recommendation for a newbie for martial arts films. He handed me The Victim VHS and I was forever hooked. It would be amazing if The Victim got the Young Master Blu Ray treatment. One can only dream it could happen right?

• Like 9

17 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

The international UK dub of Yes madam aka police assassins 2  misses a few scenes also, the sammo hung cameo scene.

But we all want the scene with the ladies fighting the old masters! 

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

There is a cut of YES MADAM with that??! Holy shit

I have to see that!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, saltysam said:

Is there a decent print of The Victim in existence? I've never seen one, only the cropped DVD releases.

There's a Japanese VHS (that was rumoured to be the source of the cropped print). It had embedded subs which might have lent credence to that rumour.

• Like 5

On 3/14/2021 at 4:03 AM, Drunksnake said:

It is a great release, I was stunned by the amount of effort that has clearly been put in. Was great to finally see the original uncut fight scenes. Makes me wonder what over unseen fight scenes from other movies still exist. Maybe the deleted scene from Prodigal Son?

Would love a 88 Films or Eureka of The Prodigal Son, one of my favorite movies ever! I wonder if Fortune Star/Golden Harvest would have any additional footage from The Prodigal Son, but considering that deleted scenes from other Sammo Hung films are completely lost (i.e. the prison scenes from Eastern Condors are completely lost), I don't think I would expect it to be there.

However, I would love a Cantonese-hybrid mix for The Prodigal Son since the export English dub has different music, which I prefer to the original (namely during the raid of the theatre troupe and the final fight).

On 3/14/2021 at 12:45 PM, KUNG FU BOB said:

I fell into both categories at different times; having a love/hate relationship with FANTASY MISSION FORCE.

When I first saw it, it was because Jackie Chan had blown me away in ARMOUR OF GOD, POLICE STORY, SNAKE IN THE EAGLE'S SHADOW, DRAGONS FOREVER, and DRUNKEN MASTER and I was seeking more of JC's films. After the expectations set up by these films, FMF was like a slap in the face. Multiple slaps... with a glove. Like "Bugs Bunny-style glove-to-the-face slapping". Throughout the film, as we watched, my friends and I kept asking aloud "What the **** is this bullshit?!" When it was over we joked about maybe smashing the VHS to prevent others from suffering through it in the future.

Years later, after becoming more familiar with some of Hong Kong's more ludicrous, anything-goes films- more of FMF's director Chu Yen-Ping work (GOLDEN QUEEN'S COMMANDOS, SHAOLIN POPEYE), Wong Jing films and the like- I approached the film from a completely different perspective and found its ridiculousness surprisingly entertaining.

We're very lucky that these releases are so fantastic. I'm so grateful to everyone involved for putting so much time, money, effort, and love into these.

Thanks, glad you like my contribution. :wink:

I think because I was so familiar with Fantasy Mission Force's reputation, I had my expectations extremely low, but I still hated it. It was after I had seen other Taiwanese movies at the time where I started to actually enjoy Fantasy Mission Force. I can perfectly imagine you and your friends watching it and just getting upset over it! I really couldn't blame you for wanting to destroy your tape! I'm surprised you guys even finished watching it! :laugh

And you're welcome! We're extremely fortunate to be getting these amazing releases finally! I'm sure all of the viewers can easily tell how much time and effort was put into it!

On 3/15/2021 at 3:54 AM, ChanKongSang said:

Thanks dude, much appreciated!

You're welcome!! Both features were really outstanding!

On 3/16/2021 at 12:39 AM, WaverBoy said:

Wish list time!

Yuen Biao Three-Pack:

KNOCKABOUT

DREADNAUGHT

THE PRODIGAL SON

Sammo Hung Three-Pack:

WARRIORS TWO

ODD COUPLE

THE VICTIM

What a perfect Yuen Biao Kung Fu trilogy!

I wonder how likely it would be to find the rights owners for The Victim, and as @KUNG FU BOB mentioned, getting the rights may be either extremely difficult or extremely expensive. It would be unbelievable to see a remaster of The Victim with newly translated subtitles. One of the very best Kung Fu movies.

I believe Dan Halsted of the Hollywood Theatre has a 35mm film print, but I heard it's in really bad condition. It showed at the Hollywood Theatre a few years ago:

https://hollywoodtheatre.org/programs/series/kung-fu-theater/

On 3/16/2021 at 8:04 PM, WaverBoy said:

Count me in for:

YES MADAM!

ROYAL WARRIORS

MAGNIFICENT WARRIORS

SHE SHOOTS STRAIGHT

PROJECT S

I'm pretty much down for all of these too. I recently saw She Shoots Straight for the first time and loved it! Also I Love Maria is such a fun gem! Was lucky enough to see it on 35mm with a packed crowd a few years ago and the audience was losing their minds!

10 hours ago, Asmo said:

There's a Japanese VHS (that was rumoured to be the source of the cropped print). It had embedded subs which might have lent credence to that rumour.

I believe this is a scan of a Japanese VHS. I'm not sure if it's the exact same one that you're referring to, but it's still cool to see the original titles for the film:

https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm11809480

• Like 8