The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

25 minutes ago, WaverBoy said:

Everything I’ve read about FMF says that it’s non-stop surreal silliness and great fun, and the trailer says that to me too — sign me right the hell up

I think most people dislike it. I'm on the side that thinks it's fun and very entertaining (however, make no mistake, it is terrible). Wouldn't mind a Blu-ray release, but I'm not itching for one either. 😂

Edited by KenHashibe
  • Like 4

Iron Head Rat

I've said before, The Seasonal films such as Legend Of a Fighter/Dance Of The Drunk Mantis/Snuff Bottle Connection/Ninja In The Dragons Den & Secret Rivals are desperately needing some love.

I'd be in Blu Ray heaven. Edit: Snuff Bottle Connection I don't think is from Seasonal ??

• Like 5

DragonClaws
15 hours ago, Iron Head Rat said:

Snuff Bottle Connection I don't think is from Seasonal ??

It was the second movie from Porduction company Fortuna Film Co. They produced about nine movies between 1973 & 1983, thats according to the HKMDB.

• Like 4

defangthewolf

what are the chances of 88 films releasing non mainstream old school ma flicks on bluray? eg shaolin vs lama. there isnt much demand for it on their social media i noticed

• Like 5

I just got my copy of The Young Master in the mail today, and it's a mind-blowing release! I was super giddy receiving it and going through the extras, though there are so many extras that I couldn't get through them all yet.

First off, the packaging is amazing! Brilliant artwork by @KUNG FU BOB, as always! At some point, I need to buy some frames for the poster included and the Shaolin Wooden Men/Spiritual Kung Fu releases too. I didn't get to read the book contained in the boxset, but I skimmed through it and saw many great promotional images from Jackie's Kung Fu-era.

I'm amazed by all of the extras included, especially the scenes from the Taiwanese version and the extended fight scenes reconstructed by Radek Sienski. There's a lot of amazing choreography that were sadly cut from the final film, but I'm so happy that they're finally available. I almost feel that I got my money's worth just with these reconstructed fights alone. I can't stress how excited I was to see them. Radek Sienski also has a great feature where he talks about the differences between the multiple cuts of the film that exist, and the editing process that led to the final HK cut.

I love the Cantonese/International score "hybrid" mix which has the spoken Cantonese with the music from the export cut. The only unfortunate thing is the dialogue/SFX seem a tad bit muffled where the music from the HK cut has been removed. Minor complaint though, and it's a great option for those who love the music from the export cut but hate English dubs. I also love that there's two two different Cantonese mono mixes, which are fun to compare (though I think I prefer the "theatrical mix").

The picture quality is also amazing with vibrant colors and great detail. For example, you can very clearly see Chiang Kam doubling for Fan Mei Sheng in the fan fight. The export cuts use the same 2k remaster as the HK cut, but it seems to revert to the HD scan from the Japanese Blu-ray with the burnt-on Japanese subtitles removed.

Overall, this is a terrific release! It's clear that 88 Films really wanted to go above on beyond with this release, and they've succeeded in making a definitive release for this film (at least in my eyes). Can't recommend it enough if you haven't purchased it already.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, KenHashibe said:

I just got my copy of The Young Master in the mail today, and it's a mind-blowing release! I was super giddy receiving it and going through the extras, though there are so many extras that I couldn't get through them all yet.

First off, the packaging is amazing! Brilliant artwork by @KUNG FU BOB, as always! At some point, I need to buy some frames for the poster included and the Shaolin Wooden Men/Spiritual Kung Fu releases too. I didn't get to read the book contained in the boxset, but I skimmed through it and saw many great promotional images from Jackie's Kung Fu-era.

I'm amazed by all of the extras included, especially the scenes from the Taiwanese version and the extended fight scenes reconstructed by Radek Sienski. There's a lot of amazing choreography that were sadly cut from the final film, but I'm so happy that they're finally available. I almost feel that I got my money's worth just with these reconstructed fights alone. I can't stress how excited I was to see them. Radek Sienski also has a great feature where he talks about the differences between the multiple cuts of the film that exist, and the editing process that led to the final HK cut.

I love the Cantonese/International score "hybrid" mix which has the spoken Cantonese with the music from the export cut. The only unfortunate thing is the dialogue/SFX seem a tad bit muffled where the music from the HK cut has been removed. Minor complaint though, and it's a great option for those who love the music from the export cut but hate English dubs. I also love that there's two two different Cantonese mono mixes, which are fun to compare (though I think I prefer the "theatrical mix").

The picture quality is also amazing with vibrant colors and great detail. For example, you can very clearly see Chiang Kam doubling for Fan Mei Sheng in the fan fight. The export cuts use the same 2k remaster as the HK cut, but it seems to revert to the HD scan from the Japanese Blu-ray with the burnt-on Japanese subtitles removed.

Overall, this is a terrific release! It's clear that 88 Films really wanted to go above on beyond with this release, and they've succeeded in making a definitive release for this film (at least in my eyes). Can't recommend it enough if you haven't purchased it already.

It is a great release, I was stunned by the amount of effort that has clearly been put in. Was great to finally see the original uncut fight scenes. Makes me wonder what over unseen fight scenes from other movies still exist. Maybe the deleted scene from Prodigal Son?

• Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

thundered mantis

I also received it last week. A thing of beauty. Thanks to all the people involved for this effort. Any notices about the more obscure , UK fan favourite, independent films that were released back in the day from EH, VPD and the like? Meaning like, Snake Deadly Act, Hell´s Windstaff, Crystal Fist, Thundering Mantis, Kung Fu on 7 Steps, et al

• Like 6

Can we have the original UK  RANK video vhs opening scene with the guy introducing the different styles that would be epic 

• Like 4

DragonClaws
8 hours ago, Drunksnake said:

Makes me wonder what over unseen fight scenes from other movies still exist

I know there was a lot more footage of Chan Wai-Man's character in Dragon Lord, than we what see in the current versions.

• Like 4

thundered mantis
10 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

I know there was a lot more footage of Chan Wai-Man's character in Dragon Lord, than we what see in the current versions.

yeah, I think I remember him in an interview telling that Jackie wanted to mimic the Bruce Lee sharpness style and not being able to, so Jackie removed most of his fighting footage.

• Like 4

DragonClaws
10 hours ago, thundered mantis said:

yeah, I think I remember him in an interview telling that Jackie wanted to mimic the Bruce Lee sharpness style and not being able to, so Jackie removed most of his fighting footage.

Yes I read the same interview, Chan Wai-Man also said his close friend also worked as a choreographer on Dragon Lord.

• Like 3

DragonClaws
20 hours ago, defangthewolf said:

what are the chances of 88 films releasing non mainstream old school ma flicks on bluray? eg shaolin vs lama. there isnt much demand for it on their social media i noticed

There's a great thread for all things 88-Films, check out the link below.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, thundered mantis said:

Any notices about the more obscure , UK fan favourite, independent films that were released back in the day from EH, VPD and the like? Meaning like, Snake Deadly Act, Hell´s Windstaff, Crystal Fist, Thundering Mantis, Kung Fu on 7 Steps, et al

I would think if those sort of titles were to surface it would be either via Pearl River in the USA or a german company. That's assuming there's any usable prints around to restore them in HD.

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

thundered mantis

It seems there are usable prints. At least for many of those movies. Not sure why they wouldn't be eligible for 88 or Eureka. Maybe unclear property rights? 

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

15 minutes ago, thundered mantis said:

It seems there are usable prints. At least for many of those movies. Not sure why they wouldn't be eligible for 88 or Eureka. Maybe unclear property rights? 

I don't think 88 restore prints themselves and i imagine if there are usable prints of these titles it wouldn't be a cheap enterprise and they'd have to be confident an investment would be worthwhile financially. I'd buy all the titles you mention but i don't see them being the lucrative sellers the JC titles are. I think they've even struggled with some of the Shaw Bros titles.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

thundered mantis

Yeah, I guess you're right. To make it financially affordable they might need a sort of crowfunding or some kind of support from the fanbase. They hinted at it with that interview for the YM release. Hope we get to see those classic indies, be that they go that route or by whatever means 

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

actionfan93

I wonder what 88 and Eureka have in the pipeline after they've run out of Chan,Hung and Biao movies I assume they will look to keep their Hong Kong lines going with new titles just not sure what's next

Edited by actionfan93
  • Like 3

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

On 3/8/2021 at 3:35 AM, WaverBoy said:

Ok, I’m watching SNAKE AND CRANE ARTS OF SHAOLIN, about half an hour in. Excellent film, which would appear to be Jackie’s first real Kung fu comedy, and quite a good one at that, especially for the period IMO. Phenomenal choreography for 1977 too. This and Sammo’s THE IRON-FISTED MONK must both really be watershed films in the genre.

That said, the master supplied to hapless 88 Films really is terrible; smeary, blurry, looks like a really early anamorphic DVD with lotsa DNR. I’m talking less than zero fine detail. Man, I dearly hope that this unsung classic (along with DRAGON FIST and BATTLE CREEK BRAWL) gets a re-release with a transfer that does it justice and some snazzeriffic Kung Fu Bob artwork! Who’s with me?

I had no idea so much treasure was to be mined from Jackie’s pre-PROJECT A period. 😵😵😵 All of these wonderful releases from 88 have really opened my eyes!

On 3/8/2021 at 5:12 AM, Drunksnake said:

I agree it would be great to have the early Jackie releases done with the same love as for example, Fearless Hyena and Spiritual Kung Fu. Dragon Fist is awesome! The opening of Snake and Crane is the best bit!

You guys asking for things like the above is always encouraged. 88 Films and all of the cool crew helping them with these releases are listening. So don't keep your suggestions and opinions yourselves, keep sharing them here. :wink

On 3/8/2021 at 5:39 PM, Drunksnake said:

Kung fu bob and John Kreng commentary, Mike and Arne too! go on then! Looking good!

I never would've imagined I'd get to do this! :bigsmile: John Kreng (stuntman/actor/action director/author and more) is friends with Yuen Woo-Ping and got the thrill of watching SNAKE IN THE EAGLE'S SHADOW with the director not long after they met (Are you geeking out just imagining that? I was too!). Woo-Ping talked all about the process of making it while they watched, so 88 asked John if he could share some of these stories with you on an exclusive audio commentary. I'm more or less hosting, giving John the room to share some fascinating info and his own personal insights into this classic.

The SitES one is another audio commentary by Mike Leeder and Arne Venma that I'm excited to hear. I've fallen behind on my AC listening though, and now have a fairly substantial pile to experience. :tongue:

On 3/9/2021 at 10:41 PM, KenHashibe said:

I think most people dislike it. I'm on the side that thinks it's fun and very entertaining (however, make no mistake, it is terrible). Wouldn't mind a Blu-ray release, but I'm not itching for one either. 😂

I fell into both categories at different times; having a love/hate relationship with FANTASY MISSION FORCE.

When I first saw it, it was because Jackie Chan had blown me away in ARMOUR OF GOD, POLICE STORY, SNAKE IN THE EAGLE'S SHADOW, DRAGONS FOREVER, and DRUNKEN MASTER and I was seeking more of JC's films. After the expectations set up by these films, FMF was like a slap in the face. Multiple slaps... with a glove. Like "Bugs Bunny-style glove-to-the-face slapping". Throughout the film, as we watched, my friends and I kept asking aloud "What the **** is this bullshit?!" When it was over we joked about maybe smashing the VHS to prevent others from suffering through it in the future.

Years later, after becoming more familiar with some of Hong Kong's more ludicrous, anything-goes films- more of FMF's director Chu Yen-Ping work (GOLDEN QUEEN'S COMMANDOS, SHAOLIN POPEYE), Wong Jing films and the like- I approached the film from a completely different perspective and found its ridiculousness surprisingly entertaining.

12 hours ago, KenHashibe said:

We're very lucky that these releases are so fantastic. I'm so grateful to everyone involved for putting so much time, money, effort, and love into these.

Thanks, glad you like my contribution. :wink:

7 hours ago, Drunksnake said:

It is a great release, I was stunned by the amount of effort that has clearly been put in. Was great to finally see the original uncut fight scenes. Makes me wonder what over unseen fight scenes from other movies still exist. Maybe the deleted scene from Prodigal Son?

Oh, wouldn't that be wonderful?! :nerd:

7 hours ago, thundered mantis said:

I also received it last week. A thing of beauty. Thanks to all the people involved for this effort. Any notices about the more obscure , UK fan favourite, independent films that were released back in the day from EH, VPD and the like? Meaning like, Snake Deadly Act, Hell´s Windstaff, Crystal Fist, Thundering Mantis, Kung Fu on 7 Steps, et al

3 hours ago, saltysam said:

I would think if those sort of titles were to surface it would be either via Pearl River in the USA or a german company. That's assuming there's any usable prints around to restore them in HD.

2 hours ago, thundered mantis said:

Hey guys, good questions, and films I'd also like to see get Blu-ray releases.

In a lot of cases it is far more difficult to legally release these films than you may imagine. I've been privy to individuals and companies trying to do this (with some very exciting "fan wish-list" titles), and it can be a logistical nightmare. One of the most challenging elements can be tracking down the individuals who own the rights. And contrary to what many people say, just because something is older doesn't mean it automatically falls into "public domain" and can be released by anyone with a print. If you release something without the legal right, sometimes nothing happens. Sometimes you get your balls sued off. Another huge obstacle is that a lot of the companies that own the films either don't want to be bothered about them, or they want to charge outrageous prices for licensing that no distributor could ever justify paying. There's a lot of both under and over-estimating their products' value, especially considering their age, the niche-fan base, and the moderate to small size of the companies trying to distribute them. And it doesn't help that some individuals are "claiming rights" to what they absolutely don't have rights to, and profiting with them on YouTube, streaming, torrenting, and bootlegging them too.

• Like 4
  • Angry 1

actionfan93
23 minutes ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

You guys asking for things like the above is always encouraged. 88 Films and all of the cool crew helping them with these releases are listening. So don't keep your suggestions and opinions yourselves, keep sharing them here. :wink

I never would've imagined I'd get to do this! :bigsmile: John Kreng (stuntman/actor/action director/author and more) is friends with Yuen Woo-Ping and got the thrill of watching SNAKE IN THE EAGLE'S SHADOW with the director not long after they met (Are you geeking out just imagining that? I was too!). Woo-Ping talked all about the process of making it while they watched, so 88 asked John if he could share some of these stories with you on an exclusive audio commentary. I'm more or less hosting, giving John the room to share some fascinating info and his own personal insights into this classic.

The SitES one is another audio commentary by Mike Leeder and Arne Venma that I'm excited to hear. I've fallen behind on my AC listening though, and now have a fairly substantial pile to experience. :tongue:

I fell into both categories at different times; having a love/hate relationship with FANTASY MISSION FORCE.

When I first saw it, it was because Jackie Chan had blown me away in ARMOUR OF GOD, POLICE STORY, SNAKE IN THE EAGLE'S SHADOW, DRAGONS FOREVER, and DRUNKEN MASTER and I was seeking more of JC's films. After the expectations set up by these films, FMF was like a slap in the face. Multiple slaps... with a glove. Like "Bugs Bunny-style glove-to-the-face slapping". Throughout the film, as we watched, my friends and I kept asking aloud "What the **** is this bullshit?!" When it was over we joked about maybe smashing the VHS to prevent others from suffering through it in the future.

Years later, after becoming more familiar with some of Hong Kong's more ludicrous, anything-goes films- more of FMF's director Chu Yen-Ping work (GOLDEN QUEEN'S COMMANDOS, SHAOLIN POPEYE), Wong Jing films and the like- I approached the film from a completely different perspective and found its ridiculousness surprisingly entertaining.

We're very lucky that these releases are so fantastic. I'm so grateful to everyone involved for putting so much time, money, effort, and love into these.

Thanks, glad you like my contribution. :wink:

Oh, wouldn't that be wonderful?! :nerd:

Hey guys, good questions, and films I'd also like to see get Blu-ray releases.

In a lot of cases it is far more difficult to legally release these films than you may imagine. I've been privy to individuals and companies trying to do this (with some very exciting "fan wish-list" titles), and it can be a logistical nightmare. One of the most challenging elements can be tracking down the individuals who own the rights. And contrary to what many people say, just because something is older doesn't mean it automatically falls into "public domain" and can be released by anyone with a print. If you release something without the legal right, sometimes nothing happens. Sometimes you get your balls sued off. Another huge obstacle is that a lot of the companies that own the films either don't want to be bothered about them, or they want to charge outrageous prices for licensing that no distributor could ever justify paying. There's a lot of both under and over-estimating their products' value, especially considering their age, the niche-fan base, and the moderate to small size of the companies trying to distribute them. And it doesn't help that some individuals are "claiming rights" to what they absolutely don't have rights to, and profiting with them on YouTube, streaming, torrenting, and bootlegging them too.

well explained Bob most of what I am interested in it seems 88 and Eureka have worked with extensively with the company that owns the rights to them that being Fortune Star but others I have on my wish list are not owned by Fortune star at least to my knowledge so it is anybodys guess if rights can be acquired or if prints of good quality survive or if the other companies spent the money on remastering or restoration or if the prints survive to do so as some of these older movies original production companies went out of business a long time ago so figuring out who has the rights now could be tough and if you do track them down do they over value them so much that a release would never be possible unless if they decided to do it themselves I sent 88 some suggestions in the past and the person I chatted with in customer service said the team in charge of making the decisions would probably love my suggestion list

but in the end it all depends on if 88 or Eureka think they will be great sellers for them and can get rights to them as well assuming they've been remastered or restored if good quality prints still exist

Edited by actionfan93
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

I would love to see all Angela Mao' s movies released by 88 films.

I finally got the Danish blu ray releases of Shaolin plot, Hapkido and the others and the blu ray of Hapkido is So good that it gave me this idea. I haven't watched the other titles of these boxsets as yet...

• Like 6

ChanKongSang
On 3/14/2021 at 5:38 AM, KenHashibe said:

Thanks dude, much appreciated!

• Like 6

OpiumKungFuCracker

If you haven't ordered or have the Young Master 88 films edition yet in your collection, I'm sorry but you're a poser. Easily the best released by them so far if we're talking about the packaging and supplements. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

DragonClaws
10 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

If you haven't ordered or have the Young Master 88 films edition yet in your collection, I'm sorry but you're a poser. Easily the best released by them so far if we're talking about the packaging and supplements. 

Waited a long time for such great releases, and now there hear I just don't have the funds to buy them. I'll just have to do some catching up in the future.

On 3/14/2021 at 1:06 PM, KUNG FU BOB said:

@DragonClaws I'm not sure what you were trying to link to. Was it this? https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=202771

The link worked fine when I originally posted it, not sure whats happened there?. Thanks anyway @KUNG FU BOB.

• Like 5