The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

Just got my YOUNG MASTER set. Wow. Amazing. And I haven’t even watched the film yet, too busy reading the fascinating history of Jackie’s early years in the biz. So glad to finally have a coherent detailed and pleasant-to-read rundown of his independent films and especially all the films he made under Lo Wei. What a treasure trove of valuable info! I’ll write further thoughts after I watch the various cuts, but for now, A BAZILLION THANKS TO ALL AT 88 AND THEIR EXPERT KUNG FU COHORTS!!!

So, 88, now that you’ve outdone yourself YET AGAIN, I have a challenge for you, should you choose to accept it: howzabout a restored double feature of NOT SCARED TO DIE (1973) and CUB TIGER FROM KWANG TUNG (1973)? Because apart from MAGNIFICENT BODYGUARDS on 3D Blu-ray (please feel free to include that as part of the challenge! 🤓😎), those are my most wanted unannounced Jackie films right now. (Although I also kinda want a set of his Shaw Bros. erotic films...)

Edited by WaverBoy
  • Like 7

21 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

Just got my YOUNG MASTER set. Wow. Amazing. And I haven’t even watched the film yet, too busy reading the fascinating history of Jackie’s early years in the biz. So glad to finally have a coherent detailed and pleasant-to-read rundown of his independent films and especially all the films he made under Lo Wei. What a treasure trove of valuable info!

Thanks for the feedback dude! I don’t log into the forums much anymore, but it’s great to see folks are enjoying the notes. 

The Young Master turned into a huge project for me, inspired by both the 40th Anniversary of the film, and the fact that nearly everything I’ve read on Jackie’s filmography over the years seems to get it wrong. 

Thanks again for the feedback, it’s appreciated.

• Like 8
  • Buddha Bless You 1

ZenkaigerBat
On 3/3/2021 at 5:15 PM, WaverBoy said:

Just got my YOUNG MASTER set. Wow. Amazing. And I haven’t even watched the film yet, too busy reading the fascinating history of Jackie’s early years in the biz. So glad to finally have a coherent detailed and pleasant-to-read rundown of his independent films and especially all the films he made under Lo Wei. What a treasure trove of valuable info! I’ll write further thoughts after I watch the various cuts, but for now, A BAZILLION THANKS TO ALL AT 88 AND THEIR EXPERT KUNG FU COHORTS!!!

So, 88, now that you’ve outdone yourself YET AGAIN, I have a challenge for you, should you choose to accept it: howzabout a restored double feature of NOT SCARED TO DIE (1973) and CUB TIGER FROM KWANG TUNG (1973)? Because apart from MAGNIFICENT BODYGUARDS on 3D Blu-ray (please feel free to include that as part of the challenge! 🤓😎), those are my most wanted unannounced Jackie films right now. (Although I also kinda want a set of his Shaw Bros. erotic films...)

I want Twin Dragons!

I want Police Story 3:Supercop:  

I want Thunderbolt!

With Big Mike's commentary

I want The Order JCVD!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, ZenkaigerBat said:

I want Twin Dragons!

I want Police Story 3:Supercop:  

I want Thunderbolt!

With Big Mike's commentary

I want The Order JCVD!

Agreed! I'd be happy with a Big Mike, Brandon Bentley or Kung Fu Bob commentary. Perfect.

• Like 2

ZenkaigerBat
4 hours ago, Drunksnake said:

Agreed! I'd be happy with a Big Mike, Brandon Bentley or Kung Fu Bob commentary. Perfect.

They both can do it!

Just leave out Chis Ling and Audi Sorlie.  They're Jackie Chan haters who said he has no technique in his fights  in their boring audio commentary of Double Team.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ZenkaigerBat said:

They both can do it!

Just leave out Chis Ling and Audi Sorlie.  They're Jackie Chan haters who said he has no technique in his fights  in their boring audio commentary of Double Team.

Well, after all, Double Team isn’t one of Jackie’s best

Edited by WaverBoy
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, ZenkaigerBat said:

They both can do it!

I've not heard that commentary, but now I'm intrigued.

@Irongod2112 Not sure if this is too late (probably is), but I wanted to mention something that might be cool extra for the Snake in the Eagle's Shadow release, if you're able to track it down.

There's an amazing English trailer under the title "The Eagle's Shadow", and it's one of my favorite movie trailers ever. The problem is I only ever saw it on 35mm film at the New Beverly Cinema in LA a few years ago, and I have NEVER seen it online. The only version I can find is a shortened version of the trailer that was made for TV. The full-length trailer is about 2-3 minutes IIRC. If you're somehow able to find the full-length trailer, my mind will be blown:

Thanks for your amazing work on the Eureka and 88 Films releases!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, KenHashibe said:

@Irongod2112 Not sure if this is too late (probably is), but I wanted to mention something that might be cool extra for the Snake in the Eagle's Shadow release, if you're able to track it down.

There's an amazing English trailer under the title "The Eagle's Shadow", and it's one of my favorite movie trailers ever. The problem is I only ever saw it on 35mm film at the New Beverly Cinema in LA a few years ago, and I have NEVER seen it online. The only version I can find is a shortened version of the trailer that was made for TV. The full-length trailer is about 2-3 minutes IIRC. If you're somehow able to find the full-length trailer, my mind will be blown:

Aw MAN I hope they give Quentin a call and see if he can help with that — we gotta get that trailer on there!

• Like 5

Omni Dragon
5 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

Aw MAN I hope they give Quentin a call and see if he can help with that — we gotta get that trailer on there!

That trailer is probably what's in the briefcase (and all these years I was thinking inside was just a common or garden apparatus for trapping lions in the Scottish Highlands).

• Like 3

I just looked at the comment section for the TV trailer.

407183096_ScreenShot2021-03-06at12_25_37PM.png.a3105ba45fcb8c06de0f5a2c163338ca.png

Of course, I'm going to take this as a grain of salt. Of course, this isn't confirmation in any way. But... I'm certainly excited for the specifications for the SITES Blu-ray for confirmation. Would definitely be cool for 88 Films to have an extra that hasn't been in any other release before.

Also I'm hoping for the International version with the different music score. Absolutely love that version. But knowing 88 Films, I'm sure they've already thought of this.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, KenHashibe said:

I wonder if this is what Chen Lung had posted on bluray.com after a restoration? 🤔

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Drunksnake said:

I wonder if this is what Chen Lung had posted on bluray.com after a restoration? 🤔

Oh? 👀 Can you send a link to the forum thread you're referring to?

EDIT:

Never mind, I think I found it. And oh my god.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=18617131&postcount=264

Edited by KenHashibe
  • Like 3

ZenkaigerBat
On 3/5/2021 at 5:40 PM, WaverBoy said:

Wait, what?  You mean to tell me in some alternative world Jackie worked with Tsui Hark again?  He worked with Rodman and Mickey Rourke aka Marv from Sin City aka The Pope of Greenwich Village?!  What!????

Why didn't i know about this?   

On a serious note.  Double Team isnt JCVD's best.  Due to the script,  due to him being coked out most of the time with Tsui Hark using doubles for JCVD to get some shots done.   Even the final fight JCVD is doubled with him only doing close ups but the parts he did that triple side kick on Mickey Rourke's character  not him at all.  JCVD is a great kicker but not known for those types of kicks.    He could'ev nailed the choreography if he wasn't coked out for the entire shoot of the movie but it was, what it is and that's one of the reasons why i enjoyed Knock Off even more despite it's not perfect but i would take Knock Off over Double Team.

• Like 3

On 3/5/2021 at 11:40 PM, WaverBoy said:

You've misspelt 'Twin Dragons'. :laugh

On 3/6/2021 at 11:56 AM, Omni Dragon said:

That trailer is probably what's in the briefcase (and all these years I was thinking inside was just a common or garden apparatus for trapping lions in the Scottish Highlands).

It's in the Scottish Midlands.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Ok, I’m watching SNAKE AND CRANE ARTS OF SHAOLIN, about half an hour in. Excellent film, which would appear to be Jackie’s first real Kung fu comedy, and quite a good one at that, especially for the period IMO. Phenomenal choreography for 1977 too. This and Sammo’s THE IRON-FISTED MONK must both really be watershed films in the genre.

That said, the master supplied to hapless 88 Films really is terrible; smeary, blurry, looks like a really early anamorphic DVD with lotsa DNR. I’m talking less than zero fine detail. Man, I dearly hope that this unsung classic (along with DRAGON FIST and BATTLE CREEK BRAWL) gets a re-release with a transfer that does it justice and some snazzeriffic Kung Fu Bob artwork! Who’s with me?

I had no idea so much treasure was to be mined from Jackie’s pre-PROJECT A period. 😵😵😵 All of these wonderful releases from 88 have really opened my eyes!

• Like 5

I agree it would be great to have the early Jackie releases done with the same love as for example, Fearless Hyena and Spiritual Kung Fu. Dragon Fist is awesome! The opening of Snak and Crane is the best bit!

• Like 3

Humanfishboy
On 3/6/2021 at 4:51 AM, KenHashibe said:

IMG-20210122-WA0009.jpg

• Like 7
  • Buddha Bless You 2

1 hour ago, Humanfishboy said:

That is the one! I am speechless!

And now I shall wait (im)patiently for its release (I already have been, but even more-so now)!

• Like 6

I just watched NEW FIST OF FURY. Ya know — it was much better than I was expecting! And it even had some decent chunks of early comedic Jackie, which I totally wasn’t expecting at all. It’s a bit leisurely paced, but my attention was kept, the fight choreography is very good overall and the final fight is pretty impressive I thought. If that’s Jackie’s worst starring film of his early period, he’s really got nothing to be ashamed of. Not bad at all, and 88’s Blu is stupendous.

OK, now, seriously, we need 88 to announce...

CUB TIGER FROM KWANG TUNG

THE KILLER METEORS

MAGNIFICENT BODYGUARDS (3-D)

FANTASY MISSION FORCE

And then all the major films of his early period will be available on Blu. I’m really dying to see these last four now.

I wonder what the chance is of getting CUB TIGER or any of his other early independent films or his Shaw Bros. films?

• Like 6

Fantasy Mission Force is truly terrible (i own it though) it's available on a german blu. Be surprised if 88 risked releasing this, maybe they could use it as a bonus feature on one of their other titles.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, saltysam said:

Fantasy Mission Force is truly terrible (i own it though) it's available on a german blu. Be surprised if 88 risked releasing this, maybe they could use it as a bonus feature on one of their other titles.

Everything I’ve read about FMF says that it’s non-stop surreal silliness and great fun, and the trailer says that to me too — sign me right the hell up

• Like 4