The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

11 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Well...I ordered Young Master a Looooong time ago from Zoom.uk, and still haven't received any notification of shipment...

I've ordered 2 from zoom online ebay page but now they have no items for sale on there! Never used them before as I always order from 88 but was having problems. Hope they pull through, have you used them before? Are they usually good?

• Like 3

Just now, Drunksnake said:

I've ordered 2 from zoom online ebay page but now they have no items for sale on there! Never used them before as I always order from 88 but was having problems. Hope they pull through, have you used them before? Are they usually good?

I ordered only once a few 88 blus because I had a discount. I received them one by one when they were released. Yesterday, they sent a message telling that their company has been sold to someone else. I hope that there won't be any problem with the pending orders, since the paypal protection won't work anymore...

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

I ordered only once a few 88 blus because I had a discount. I received them one by one when they were released. Yesterday, they sent a message telling that their company has been sold to someone else. I hope that there won't be any problem with the pending orders, since the paypal protection won't work anymore...

I've just had a reply from them saying orders will be despatched as usual and will arrive on release date. Should be OK 🤞

• Like 3

On 2/16/2021 at 5:51 AM, Graysman said:

i think the original music was composed by Jean-Michel Jarre 

At least one item is, but it's got cues by/from others (including 'The Spy Who Loved Me').

Edited by chen lung

On 1/25/2021 at 10:44 PM, KUNG FU BOB said:
To answer the oft-asked question: Yes, the "cat vs cobra" scene has been edited for animal cruelty as mandated by the BBFC. I've always fought against censorship and sought out the most complete, uncut versions of films. But in this case, I've gotta say, personally I am glad to see the edits. The scene still clearly conveys the story point intended, but minus some seconds of gag-inducing real-life animal violence. *

For those on the fence due to the above issue, I want to let you know that I have seen the restored HD print and it looks spectacular, and also that this release has some really amazing special features in the works which will make it a must-have for every fan of the film. 

*Good news: none of the incredible kung fu action has been removed from the film!

Any idea bro or hint on what feautures they plan to include?

Snake In The Eagles Shadow (SITES) is my favourite king fu movie of alltime. I must have seen it over 200 times (literally) over the last 35 years and still watch it several times a year.

I did email 88-Films and offer them an alternative opening scene for SITES from my 35 year old VHS tape, which is similar to the opening scene in Snake In The Monkeys Shadow, where an over dub gives background on the history of the fued between the Eagles Claw Clan and Snake Fist School before the first fight scene between Hwang Jang Lee and Fung Hark. They replied back and said we'll be in touch if we are interested - no ones been in touch since so I guess they are not interested, or maybe they already have managed to get hold of the alternative opening scene.

• Like 4

On 2/8/2021 at 10:06 AM, thehangman said:

Anyone know if snake in the eagles will include the orginal music from the rank video release?

There exists 2 English dub tracks for SITES. One English dub has the same music as the Cantonese version, and then theres a second English dub which has different music (which is actually my favourite of the two dubbed tracks and much better in my opinion - this was the one used on the HKL DVD version of SITES). I really hope 88-Films include this second version in their upcoming release as its awesome!

Edited by Ninja Sinai
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Ninja Sinai said:

Any idea bro or hint on what feautures they plan to include?

Snake In The Eagles Shadow (SITES) is my favourite king fu movie of alltime. I must have seen it over 200 times (literally) over the last 35 years and still watch it several times a year.

I did email 88-Films and offer them an alternative opening scene for SITES from my 35 year old VHS tape, which is similar to the opening scene in Snake In The Monkeys Shadow, where an over dub gives background on the history of the fued between the Eagles Claw Clan and Snake Fist School before the first fight scene between Hwang Jang Lee and Fung Hark. They replied back and said we'll be in touch if we are interested - no ones been in touch since so I guess they are not interested, or maybe they already have managed to get hold of the alternative opening scene.

I hope they include this alternate opening scene 🙏🏻❤️🙏🏻

• Like 1

kingofkungfu2002
On 2/16/2021 at 10:04 PM, ShawAngela said:

Well...I ordered Young Master a Looooong time ago from Zoom.uk, and still haven't received any notification of shipment...

Mine arrived from Zoom this morning, and I didn't even receive a 'dispatch notification' either. In fact my order status still says 'Sent to Warehouse', so I wouldn't worry. :thumbsup

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Master with OK Fingers said:

Still waiting for my YM to arrive and now I see that SITES has been pushed back until end of April 😭😭

It'll be worth the wait my friend, I'm sure it won't be long. Don't forget we have this and the Lucky Stars set from Eureka to keep us busy while we wait for SITES.

The young Master set it pure class! Hope you enjoy the original dub. I'm saving that dub to watch with my son.

• Like 5

Iron Head Rat
On 2/17/2021 at 9:09 PM, saltysam said:

Watched disc one of Young Master earlier, the HK Theatrical cut. Watched it in cantonese mono, looked great.Marvellous release

Mine arrived yesterday. Will watch soon.. Master Kam is the man:monk_coolagent:

• Like 3

sifu iron perm

Just finished watching the export cut of Young Master with alternative scenes. 

Amazing film. The final fight is probably the greatest fight scene (one on one).. Made me want to do a thousand pushups. How long was fight in total? 20 mins? 

• Like 10

Having now watched all the cuts of The Young Master and pouring through the extras, I have to say this is an exceptional release.

The picture quality is amazing, for a film of any era! Great detail and bold, bright colours popping out everywhere. My eyes particularly enjoyed the lush greens and blues during the finale. The whole film looks more beautiful than I could have imagined.

Excellent audio once again. Was great to hear the original English dub, just really wished it could've somehow made it fit the HK cut  which is my favourite. I enjoyed the hybrid Cantonese track very much, it's good to end the HK cut with Kung Fu Fighting Man.

The booklet is awesome. High quality, well researched info and an entertaining read. Jackie's somewhat confusing (for me) early film work chronology in terms of making and releasing, now has made muddied waters clear.

Ricky Baker's enthusiastic introduction to the film was a nice watch as usual. I do enjoy his infectious excitement for these movies.

The Art Of The Cut is Excellent. Very informative and entertaining. A great way to present an explanation of the alternate cuts and the decisions made upon editing. 

The extended fight scenes, now this is a real treat for fight junkies (myself) and any fans of the film. Man I wish those fight scenes had stayed intact in the movie particularly the great sword fight, but its great to see them here in their entirety for the first time, in all their restored glory. 

The outtakes were a joy to watch. The hard work that goes into making these films is evident. Take after take after take of some very intricate choreography done in one long cut! Can't be easy to remember such choreography, particularly as they learn on set.

The archive Jackie interview was nice, good to see the old chan we all love talking about the Young Master and movie making. Would like to have seen the feature with Jackie at his editing machine discussing making the Whang In Sik fight and his philosophy toward shooting such a scene. Not a complaint but would have been nice for completists sake.

The interview with Whang In Sik is great. A real deadly gentleman!

The Cut Master was a nice selection of extended and deleted scenes from the Taiwanese working print of the film. Glad they included this as it seems to round off all the available Young Master footage onto one disc.

Brandon Bentley's commentary is great once again. I feel he really upped his information game on this one and it was an entertaining and educational journey, really enjoyed it.

The commentary by Audi Sorbie and Chris Long on the Export cut was a nice addition, enjoyed that one too. 

To top it all off, the cover and box art is absolutely stunning. Kung Fu Bob has created an epic landscape of characters and action which stretches from the front to the back of the box! Beautifully coloured with eye grabbing blues and greens. I couldn't bring myself to hide it between other releases so have left the box on display on my shelf, as I'm still debating whether or not to frame the poster.

This is 88 Films' best release so far in my opinion. It's clearly been done with a lot of love, care, hard work and no doubt caffeine! Thanks 88 Films and all the fans, experts and contributers for giving a shit about us fans and these far too often neglected Master pieces. Happy days!

Edited by Drunksnake
  • Like 20
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Ok, from the sound of this it would appear ripe for an epic fanedit...a comprehensive version with all footage included that makes sense together, with the extended fight scenes intact! I’m salivating over the thought of that

• Like 2

Mine arrived this morning.  One of the best releases by 88 Flims!

I loved the hybrid soundtrack including Kung Fu Fighting Man in the HK Cut of the flim.

I hope they have a hybrid soundtrack for Amour of God allowing fan to listen to Alan Tam's  song and Jackie Chan's song.

@KUNG FU BOB did a Chantastic job with the cover art. I want to frame the poster into my wall.

88 Flims is the best!

0227211150-00.jpg

• Like 6

• Administrator

88 Films reveaed the artwork I did for their upcoming release of EROTIC GHOST STORY.

The slip-cover will be a PG-13 version of the art, and the Blu-ray sleeve will be the R-Rated (or Cat. III) version.

I believe this will be a very limited release. I'll post more details as they are verified. By the way, the print looks gorgeous, and the film is being presented in its totally UNCUT form.

***EROTIC GHOST STORY ARTWORK UPDATE***
Coming soon! A very limited edition set and featuring Brand-New Artwork by the legendary KUNG FU BOB plus a poster too rude to even make the final packshot, make sure you don't miss out! and to pre-order your copy of this UK Blu-ray premier – completely uncut.

Erotic Ghost Story is branded with Hong Kong's infamous Category III rating for its commitment to carnality and starring amply endowed icon of Sino sex cinema Amy Yip (Sex and Zen)

EGS AD154070238_4378013775548531_5129372108475953726_o.jpg

• Like 8
  • Buddha Bless You 1

8 hours ago, Drunksnake said:

I've never seen this. Info??

Kung fu, ghosts, naked girls, sex, etc. — obviously a must-see just from that alone

• Like 2

9 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

Kung fu, ghosts, naked girls, sex, etc. — obviously a must-see just from that alone

SOLD!

• Like 2