The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

11 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Logan's DM commentary is pretty decent, both for 1 and 2.

Ashame they cannot be used in the official releases of both Snake in the Eagles Shadow and Drunken Master.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, saltysam said:

Yes Snake is definitely cut. I'm happy about that as it's a horrible scene and i hate animal cruelty.

All it matters it's getting released with new bonus features and the fights are uncut too.  

• Like 4

Snake in the eagles shadow definitely cut clues are running time 97 mins uk Blu ray. German Blu ray 98 mins also from the artwork cert 12 on kungfubob’s Blu ray artwork  the old HKL dvd was cert 18 and cat and snake were cut too  plus the aspect ratio was all wrong on the German DVD and the UK HKL DVD but I’m 100% getting this awesomeness 

• Like 3

• Administrator
To answer the oft-asked question: Yes, the "cat vs cobra" scene has been edited for animal cruelty as mandated by the BBFC. I've always fought against censorship and sought out the most complete, uncut versions of films. But in this case, I've gotta say, personally I am glad to see the edits. The scene still clearly conveys the story point intended, but minus some seconds of gag-inducing real-life animal violence. *

For those on the fence due to the above issue, I want to let you know that I have seen the restored HD print and it looks spectacular, and also that this release has some really amazing special features in the works which will make it a must-have for every fan of the film. 

*Good news: none of the incredible kung fu action has been removed from the film!
  • Like 7
  • Buddha Bless You 1

28 minutes ago, KUNG FU BOB said:
To answer the oft-asked question: Yes, the "cat vs cobra" scene has been edited for animal cruelty as mandated by the BBFC. I've always fought against censorship and sought out the most complete, uncut versions of films. But in this case, I've gotta say, personally I am glad to see the edits. The scene still clearly conveys the story point intended, but minus some seconds of gag-inducing real-life animal violence. *

For those on the fence due to the above issue, I want to let you know that I have seen the restored HD print and it looks spectacular, and also that this release has some really amazing special features in the works which will make it a must-have for every fan of the film. 

*Good news: none of the incredible kung fu action has been removed from the film!

The Kung Fu action is all it matters to me.  I'm glad alot of us are on the same page here. 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

So will it basically be the same as the HKL version? If so i'm happy with that, it's the only one i've ever seen. In fact I didn't even know it was cut for years until reading about it on forums, as you say the scene still conveys the point intended.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, snakymonkey said:

how was the twilight time blu ray?  is it a different master?  

Shite. Not as good as the German blu and nothing will be better than this 88 release. Just get this new one.

• Like 7

On 1/26/2021 at 1:30 PM, Drunksnake said:

Shite. Not as good as the German blu and nothing will be better than this 88 release. Just get this new one.

I was planning on getting the 88 anyway.  Their work convinced me to get The Master, then

SITES is a no brainer lol

• Like 4

On 1/25/2021 at 2:44 PM, KUNG FU BOB said:

That's great, I'm strongly against censorship as well, but I've always hated that scene and it brought the movie down for me being such an animal lover

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

is someone ever gonna remaster the original HK cut of First Strike?  :bs_thinking:

supposedly Warner Archive announced a release coming this year that would excite fans of their Mr Nice Guy Release when asked about First Strike They did not say it was first strike but that if fans liked their Mr Nice Guy release they would like this upcoming one but I would think its either First Strike or Who Am I if they own the rights to it as well

Edited by actionfan93
  • Like 6

27 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

is someone ever gonna remaster the original HK cut of First Strike?  :bs_thinking:

If anyone does, it will likely be Warner Archive.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, saltysam said:

If anyone does, it will likely be Warner Archive.

I would love for them to finally release Rumble in the Bronx with a remastered HK Cut along with Thunderbolt.  Maybe finally let Dragon Fight loose at last.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ZenkaigerBat said:

I would love for them to finally release Rumble in the Bronx with a remastered HK Cut along with Thunderbolt.  Maybe finally let Dragon Fight loose at last.

I assume First Strike might be next not sure if Warner or Sony owns Who Am I so that might be after First Strike or it might be next who knows or maybe 88 will get the rights to put out Who Am I hopefully restored and uncropped

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, actionfan93 said:

I assume First Strike might be next not sure if Warner or Sony owns Who Am I so that might be after First Strike or it might be next who knows or maybe 88 will get the rights to put out Who Am I hopefully restored and uncropped

I believe Warners now own Who Am I now. Either would be fine as long as they get the best treatment it can get.  Warners know's JC got fans that love his older movies.

Speaking of 88 i wonder if they can get Twin Dragons or Police Story 3: Supercop?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ZenkaigerBat said:

I believe Warners now own Who Am I now. Either would be fine as long as they get the best treatment it can get.  Warners know's JC got fans that love his older movies.

Speaking of 88 i wonder if they can get Twin Dragons or Police Story 3: Supercop?

I hope Warner archive releases both First Strike and Who Am I and not even sure who owns Twin Dragons that might be owned by Fortune Star if so it might be restored or will be restored

• Like 4

1 minute ago, actionfan93 said:

I hope Warner archive releases both First Strike and Who Am I and not even sure who owns Twin Dragons that might be owned by Fortune Star if so it might be restored or will be restored

I just want them to release Rumble in the Bronx and Thunderbolt.   Those flims you mentoned would be very nice too, but i wonder if 88 is done with JC realeases or not?

I hope they can release more Jet Li flims.   After listening to The Master Commentary from Big Mike learning that Warners has Dragon Fight in a vault which it was annoying to here knowing they won't release it ever.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ZenkaigerBat said:

I just want them to release Rumble in the Bronx and Thunderbolt.   Those flims you mentoned would be very nice too, but i wonder if 88 is done with JC realeases or not?

I hope they can release more Jet Li flims.   After listening to The Master Commentary from Big Mike learning that Warners has Dragon Fight in a vault which it was annoying to here knowing they won't release it ever.

not sure if they are or not I sent them suggestions via an email to customer service and they were going to pass them onto the team that makes the decisions I hope they get into girls with guns or them and Eureka I suggested several of those to them and even Who Am I they couldn't comment but told me to keep my eyes peeled and watch their facebook page when talking about Who Am I and said besides that their lips are sealed so I don't know if thats a hint or not

Edited by actionfan93
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, actionfan93 said:

not sure if they are or not I sent them suggestions via an email to customer service and they were going to pass them onto the team that makes the decisions I hope they get into girls with guns or them and Eureka I suggested several of those to them and even Who Am I they couldn't comment but told me to keep my eyes peeled and watch their facebook page when talking about Who Am I and said besides that their lips are sealed so I don't know if thats a hint or not

Or perhaps maybe Who Am I.  Is the flim they may release next who knows right?  :)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ZenkaigerBat said:

Or perhaps maybe Who Am I.  Is the flim they may release next who knows right?  :)

hopefully they do if they release Who Am I and Warner Archive releases First Strike I will be happy till Rumble in the Bronx is announced unless its to come before First Strike

I may be wrong but I think Eureka will end up with Righting Wrongs I hope it releases this year whether from 88 or Eureka

not really sure what 88 will release after they are done with chan films maybe Tiger Cage 1 and 2 I wonder what other Hong Kong Action releases they have yet to come this year and in the future

• Like 3

15 hours ago, actionfan93 said:

hopefully they do if they release Who Am I and Warner Archive releases First Strike I will be happy till Rumble in the Bronx is announced unless its to come before First Strike

I may be wrong but I think Eureka will end up with Righting Wrongs I hope it releases this year whether from 88 or Eureka

not really sure what 88 will release after they are done with chan films maybe Tiger Cage 1 and 2 I wonder what other Hong Kong Action releases they have yet to come this year and in the future

You might be right on Righting Wrongs maybe released by Eureka, just like i have a feeling they may release Fong Sai Yuk and Shanghai Express.   I would love to see Donnie Yen's flims including the Tiger Cage 1& 2.

• Like 4