The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

12 hours ago, saltysam said:

With Young Master delayed until January, i hope New Fist Of Fury makes it's release date. I know it's not well regarded but i quite like it.Can't wait to see it in it's restored glory. 88 have announced releases up till March, no Jackie apart from YM, hopefully they eventually release Magnificent Bodyguards,Killer Meteors and Half A Loaf Of Kung Fu.

I suspect next year we will see repackagings of the Jackie films in 88 box sets, it would make sense.

The New Fist of Fury release will be worth it, IMO. It'll look and sound great. Hopefully it does make the date.

• Like 7

Killer Meteor
21 hours ago, saltysam said:

With Young Master delayed until January, i hope New Fist Of Fury makes it's release date. I know it's not well regarded but i quite like it.Can't wait to see it in it's restored glory. 88 have announced releases up till March, no Jackie apart from YM, hopefully they eventually release Magnificent Bodyguards,Killer Meteors and Half A Loaf Of Kung Fu.

I suspect next year we will see repackagings of the Jackie films in 88 box sets, it would make sense.

Magnificent Bodyguards may be tricky due to its being 3-D and the Star Wars music, unless Fortune Star (which I think is a Fox company) paid up?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

Magnificent Bodyguards may be tricky due to its being 3-D and the Star Wars music, unless Fortune Star (which I think is a Fox company) paid up?

Nothing to do with Fox anymore, I don't think.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, chen lung said:

Nothing to do with Fox anymore, I don't think.

Doesn't Disney own Star Wars now I can only imagine how hard they would be to negotiate with

• Like 2

Killer Meteor

I wonder...apparently there are 2K transfers in the pipeline for some Bruceploitation titles, one of which is Exit the Dragon, Enter the Tiger. Perhaps 88Films could look into releasing some of these?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

I wonder...apparently there are 2K transfers in the pipeline for some Bruceploitation titles, one of which is Exit the Dragon, Enter the Tiger. Perhaps 88Films could look into releasing some of these?

Would love it, unfortunately i don't think 88 would see them commercially viable. It's a niche genre with limited hardcore fanbase these days, look at Michael Worth's efforts to raise funds for Bruce Lee's Secret.Loons like me contributed but it fell way way short of target.

• Like 1

I also have the English friendly German Blu Ray. If it were any other company I probably wouldn’t double dip but 88 Films put out incredibly looking Blu Rays.

And to be honest, I could do without the animal cruelty.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, saltysam said:

Snake In The Eagles Shadow coming in March- it will be cut and i have the very good german blu ray but will still get this as i hate animal cruelty.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Snake-in-the-Eagles-Shadow-Blu-ray/dp/B08NR5JPCX?linkCode=xm2&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=bluraycom-21

Any of the people helping out with Eureka and 88 Films releases that confirmed this? If so, strange that it could be done for the aforementioned movie but not on Eastern Condors.

That being said, I'm ready for Snake in the Eagle's Shadow. How many years has it been since I last saw it? 10 years...?

Edited by DiP
  • Like 3

I see... Eureka managed to release both The Iron-Fisted Monk (the rape scene was zoomed in though) and Eastern Condors uncut on bluray whereas the old HKL DVDs were cut.

• Like 4

I’ll pick up SitES from 88 if it’s uncut; otherwise I’ll probably just stick with my German Blu, the only downside of which is the horrendous quality Cantonese track.

• Like 2

sifu iron perm
10 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I also have the English friendly German Blu Ray. If it were any other company I probably wouldn’t double dip but 88 Films put out incredibly looking Blu Rays.

And to be honest, I could do without the animal cruelty.

but that cat vs snake fight was classic.,

= (

On 11/17/2020 at 12:22 PM, saltysam said:

It's a niche genre with limited hardcore fanbase these days, look at Michael Worth's efforts to raise funds for Bruce Lee's Secret.Loons like me contributed but it fell way way short of target.

So sad that this attempt of his failed, I contributed without even seeing the movie. Now after watching Bruce Lee's Secret, it makes me even more bitter that the fans responded the way they did, would have been a huge upgrade. 

As for SitES, I'll definitely be getting the 88 blu, uncut or not. I would however prefer the uncut version, and to be completely honest with you guys, I love the animal fights in kung fu movies. There it is, hate me if you will, I'm glad to have finally come out :laugh

Edited by Super Ninja
  • Like 2

thundered mantis

Do you think Eureka´s version will be a better remaster with better video quality than the german version? Is the german a good imprevement over the HKL DVD?

• Like 2

Master with OK Fingers

Excellent news about SITES, I have the German uncut release but would happily purchase the 88 version either way. Growing up with the VHS that was cut, seeing the animals fight for the first time was no real gain for the film anyway. Keep me coming 88👍

Edited by Master with OK Fingers
  • Like 2

Master with OK Fingers
On 11/17/2020 at 7:54 PM, saltysam said:

Snake In The Eagles Shadow coming in March- it will be cut and i have the very good german blu ray but will still get this as i hate animal cruelty.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Snake-in-the-Eagles-Shadow-Blu-ray/dp/B08NR5JPCX?linkCode=xm2&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=bluraycom-21

Thanks for the link, pre-ordered mine 👍

• Like 1

I always remember this trailer from the Made In Hong Kong vhs Of Drunken Master. I hadn’t yet seen SITES and made sure it was the next movie I borrowed from my instructor who was a huge Jackie fan and is responsible for many of my first time JC movies. The MIHK tapes also had trailers for Monkey Kung Fu and The Deadly Venoms. This trailer is the reason I love this tune. Really looking forward to this release now. Ahh nostalgia.

Edited by Drunksnake
  • Like 6