The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

Same here, i'd expect it by Tuesday. Was counting my 88 Jackie's yesterday, Shaolin will be the 14th release. With New Fist and Young Master coming that'll be 16. I hope they release the lesser ones from this era, Half A Loaf, Magnificent Bodyguards, Killer Meteors.

• Like 8

I got my copy today and have watched it in Mandarin Mono. It’s a great film, another movie I hadn’t bothered with much in the past due to poor quality releases but it was very easy to sit and absorb all the scenery and action this time, thanks to this awesome release. Jackie’s Kung Fu is great and the fight scenes are complete oldskool Kung Fu. The cover art is another winner from Kung Fu Bob and I’m eagerly awaiting his reveal for The Young Master. I was also pleased to see that 88 are now including their own trailer selection. As soon as New Fist Of Fury is out I’m using a four day weekend for an 88 Films/Eureka Jackie Chan and Sammo Hung marathon. Good times!

Edited by Drunksnake
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

they sent me two wooden men blu rays and 2 x spiritual dvd's..

*baffled!

Keep the spare ones sealed! They’ll be worth it in the future.

• Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Killer Meteor

Turns out Hwang Jang-lee in Shaolin Wooden Men - he's one of the thugs in the fight outside the teahouse, and possibly one of the monks in the intro.

• Like 6

sifu iron perm
5 hours ago, Drunksnake said:

Keep the spare ones sealed! They’ll be worth it in the future.

bless bro for the heads up! 

• Like 4

I FINALLY pulled the trigger on...

TO KILL WITH INTRIGUE

BATTLE CREEK BRAWL

SPIRITUAL KUNG FU

SHAOLIN WOODEN MEN

Slightly bummed about missing out on the deluxe versions of the first two, but that’s ok. I’ve always loved BCB but I’ve never seen the other three and am super jazzed about finally getting to experience them for the first time! Man, 88 is just absolutely killing it with their Jackie releases, they’re coming so thick and fast that my poor bank account can’t keep up! I still gotta save up for NEW FIST OF FURY and THE YOUNG MASTER too! And I guess I’ll throw in THE PROTECTOR with that order as well.

Also, I finally watched my copy of DRAGON LORD, having never seen the film previously. Excellent presentation of what I have decided is an extremely underrated and underknown Jackie Chan gem, so fun, great chemistry between Jackie and Mars, excellent game and fight choreography, and the shuttlecock game was a delightfully riveting diversion that took nothing away from the main story. A perfect transitional film from his more traditional kung fu comedies to the more modern style of the following year’s PROJECT A and beyond. What a nice surprise!

• Like 5

And furthermore, I don’t know how the hell a 3-D Jackie Chan movie could possibly have escaped my notice until just now...hmmmmmmm...I wonder what the chances are of 88 Films teaming up with Bob Furmanek over at the 3-D Film Archive to put out MAGNIFICENT BODYGUARDS on 3-D Blu-ray...

• Like 4

13 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

And furthermore, I don’t know how the hell a 3-D Jackie Chan movie could possibly have escaped my notice until just now...hmmmmmmm...I wonder what the chances are of 88 Films teaming up with Bob Furmanek over at the 3-D Film Archive to put out MAGNIFICENT BODYGUARDS on 3-D Blu-ray...

You get a lot of kicks, punches and weapons thrown at the screen, it didnt translate late well on the shoddy pan & scan Ocean Shores VHS bootleg I owned. While I currently don't have the budget to buy these releases. I will be tracking down their Magnificent Bodyguards & Shaolin Wooden Men(1976) Blu-Ray's when I can.

• Like 3

• Administrator

13 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

Also, I finally watched my copy of DRAGON LORD, having never seen the film previously. Excellent presentation of what I have decided is an extremely underrated and underknown Jackie Chan gem, so fun, great chemistry between Jackie and Mars, excellent game and fight choreography, and the shuttlecock game was a delightfully riveting diversion that took nothing away from the main story. A perfect transitional film from his more traditional kung fu comedies to the more modern style of the following year’s PROJECT A and beyond. What a nice surprise!

Glad you enjoyed it so much! I love this one. In between the excellent action pieces, the character stuff is a lot of fun with many LOL moments. I agree completely with you about Mars and Jackie together on-screen too.

I haven't been on the forum contributing much lately due to a huge workload (new @ShaOW!linDude cover art in the works!), but I do stop in to visit, browse quickly, and check in with fellow mods/admin, and I wanted to say thanks for all the compliments regarding my cover art for 88 Films. It means a lot to me, especially coming from the hardcore fans in this community.

I can't give a reveal on the next cover yet, but here's a little teaser...

YOUNG MASTER TEASER125355382_6751802558242087_4535530958397395925_o.jpg

• Like 8

ShaOW!linDude
1 hour ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Oh, you're doing the cover for GREASY FRIES, SCALDED HANDS!!!! (Nailed it.)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

YOUNG MASTER TEASER125355382_6751802558242087_4535530958397395925_o.jpg

A Chu Liu Xiang movie or a Fang Shiyu movie ?

• Like 3

It seems to me

My guess is it's about, a kung fu, kung fu fighting man.

Edited by Omni Dragon
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Played by Lam Ching-Ying?.

It seems to me it's about another man who was born to be a kung fu, kung fu fighting man.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

A Chu Liu Xiang movie or a Fang Shiyu movie ?

I should have guessed that it's surely for The young Master...

• Like 2

With Young Master delayed until January, i hope New Fist Of Fury makes it's release date. I know it's not well regarded but i quite like it.Can't wait to see it in it's restored glory. 88 have announced releases up till March, no Jackie apart from YM, hopefully they eventually release Magnificent Bodyguards,Killer Meteors and Half A Loaf Of Kung Fu.

I suspect next year we will see repackagings of the Jackie films in 88 box sets, it would make sense.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, saltysam said:

With Young Master delayed until January, i hope New Fist Of Fury makes it's release date. I know it's not well regarded but i quite like it.Can't wait to see it in it's restored glory. 88 have announced releases up till March, no Jackie apart from YM, hopefully they eventually release Magnificent Bodyguards,Killer Meteors and Half A Loaf Of Kung Fu.

I suspect next year we will see repackagings of the Jackie films in 88 box sets, it would make sense.

I would LOVE to see those three released! ESPECIALLY MB in 3-D, it’s gotta happen!

• Like 1

After Young Master I’m hoping we see either Armour of God or the Luck Stars trilogy (which I think I remember reading won’t be coming from 88). Irongod2112 has hinted on another forum that the Odd Couple is on the horizon. I’m really hoping 88 bring us The Prodigal Son and Knockabout. 

• Like 6