The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

I like New fist of fury !

What is there to complain about regarding this movie ?

Cool, we found someone who likes it! I hope I like it too!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Administrator
5 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

I probably wouldn't recommend them as first time watches in 2020, no. They are both Hollywood banked Tsui Hark movies, which gives them a strange vibe as Hark's wacky ideas and often manic pace meets the more measured American approach in a hodge-podge of styles that either works for you or doesn't. I think just watching the original theatrical trailers gives one a good idea of what to expect.

I was kind of down on JCVD by the time these came out, and I'm not even sure if I saw them, or part of one or both. I've always had mixed feelings about JCVD. Sometimes I enjoy his films a lot (KICKBOXER, HARD TARGET, CYBORG, JCVD, UNIVERSAL SOLDIER) and other times, not so much. Often his "pose pauses" seem to go on forever. In some of his fight scenes it feels like...

- He throws a punch.

JCVD: "I've thrown a punch. You see that? Now I'll pose to give my opponent time to recover. You look at my glistening muscles? Admire them... I'll wait. Now have you also taken note of my strong jawline? Don't look at the weird bump on my forehead, but notice my immaculate styled hair? And now I raise my leg slowly, chambered and ready to kick... See my perfect balance? My enemy is in awe of me, I can tell by the way he stands there waiting for my next move. And now I crisply snap out my kick from the knee!"

Kick is shown from three different camera angles, including one in slow motion, then one very quickly.

JCVD: 'Yeah, you like that? There's more coming... First, witness my arching eyebrow acting moment... YES! I nailed it. Change arm positions... slowly... flexing hard the whole time.... a little "strength shake... You see? That's the magic! Kick two coming...

:yawn

I saw STREETFIGHTER in the cinema and felt like someone was having a laugh at my expense for spending money on a ticket. I was so deeply immersed in Hong Kong cinema and I felt like a lot of the US action at the time was just garbage in comparison, and with this film I was ready to leave JCVD behind. My buddy dragged me kicking and screaming to see THE QUEST, which I liked a lot, but I wasn't about to forget the past abuse I'd previously endured. Of course Tsui Hark being the director garnered my interest, but then Dennis Rodman negated that. :shaking

Anyway, I'm ready to see or possibly revisit these, and hearing @Mike Leeder's BTS stories about these reportedly troubled productions should at least be interesting.

3 hours ago, actionfan93 said:

TibetanWhiteCrane thank you for the reply after reading it I went looking on youtube where I found the whole movie free to watch with ads I was expecting a horrible movie that would put me to sleep based off the many reviews what I got was a zero to 100 action packed cheesy 90s movie that is not the worst action film I've seen and looked like a worthy addition to my action movie blu-ray collection I've seen some pretty bad action films such as most of Godfrey Ho's cut and paste movies which I will say Knock off is much better than most of those

@actionfan93 you probably can't go wrong following a thumbs up recommendation from @TibetanWhiteCrane as he has good taste. If he says he likes it, it's likely good. However, he can be a tough critic too, so things he doesn't like aren't necessarily passes for me. I dig lots of movies that he pisses on, but I can usually at least understand why he feels that way. I just tend to be easier to amuse.

2 hours ago, SpartainX said:

I can't wait for Mike Leeder's audio commentery for Knock Off to  make it alot more fun to watch with all the behind the scenes stories being told.

Yeah, ditto.

2 hours ago, Graysman said:

Sounds phenomenal cannot wait for this release and yes kungfubob your art work astounds me keep it up buddy 

Awww... :itwasntme

2 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

88films will ruin me !! I added some of their items to my cart yesterday, but Dragon Lord isn't available ! I missed it and I fear to miss all the extras announced in the preorder such as the postcards and the poster !! :bs_firey:

And the amount is almost 80 £ for what I put in the cart !! I wonder if I click on "buy"...:bs_smile:

It should be back in stock within a day or two @ShawAngela, So don't fret. :wink:

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

ShaOW!linDude
3 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I like New fist of fury !

What is there to complain about regarding this movie ?

I do, too. My only complaint is it takes a long time before Chan starts throwing down. But I absolutely love the end fights in this film. 

• Like 6

After seeing the long version of New Fist of Fury for the first time recently, I enjoy it more than I did the shorter version.

Edit: Got my copies of Fearless Hyena and Dragon Lord today, I know what I'll be watching over the next few nights! I might even try the Fearless Hyena dub, given the praise it's gotten recently!

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Asmo said:

After seeing the long version of New Fist of Fury for the first time recently, I enjoy it more than I did the shorter version.

Edit: Got my copies of Fearless Hyena and Dragon Lord today, I know what I'll be watching over the next few nights! I might even try the Fearless Hyena dub, given the praise it's gotten recently!

Its really goofy, but actually one of my favourite JC dubs. Enjoy!

• Like 4

OpiumKungFuCracker

Hey, I will not tolerate this slander for New Fist Of Fury. Heck I think it might be Jackie's most underappreciated movies and also.... He gets his ass smashed in the end fights. I'm talking he got his butt whooped,hahahahah! That's why I like it!!! I can't wait to get this, 88films have been knockin this out out of the galaxy baby! :BL-Love: 

Edited by OpiumKungFuCracker
  • Like 8

OpiumKungFuCracker
On 8/15/2020 at 9:27 AM, WaverBoy said:

I’m still kinda on the fence about picking up THE PROTECTOR though, as I don’t have fond memories of this one from watching it back in the day. Anyone wanna try and convince me I should? 🤓

Really? The Protector is balls to the wall 80s action from the likes of Canon pictures. If you enjoy 80s action from Canon films back in the day with an addition of Jackie Chan kicking ass and butt naked ladies in a drug lab, how is this not the best movie ever made? You get two versions of the movie as well, the hong kong cut and the theatrical cut but you don't get a slipcover which sucks major ass cause all his other releases come with slipcovers and I love slipcovers dammit. I prefer the theatrical cut for nostalgic reasons of course and I grew up in the 80s so there's that. 

Edited by OpiumKungFuCracker
  • Like 5

thundered mantis
4 hours ago, ChanKongSang said:

The Master trailer just dropped!

Very nice trailer, but looool, they put the "no wires" title just when Jet Li is making a wired jump kick on multiple fellows 🤣🤣

Edited by thundered mantis
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

13 minutes ago, thundered mantis said:

Very nice trailer, but looool, they put the "no wires" title just when Jet Li is making a wired jump kick on multiple fellows 🤣🤣

Yeah, funny how they don't mention that part at all.

• Confused 1

• Administrator
1 hour ago, andy338 said:

On the trailer it says "uncut", i've only ever seen the HKL version & thought that was uncut, have previous releases been cut?

1 hour ago, ChanKongSang said:

The version on Dimension DVD was cut:

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=359275

I believe the HKL version was uncut.

54 minutes ago, andy338 said:

Thanks, i'd always thought the HKL release was uncut but that trailer got me thinking.

Not only was the US release from Dimension cut, but the UK VHS was censored for a scenes showing nunchaku, brass knuckles, and a ballisong knife.

1 hour ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Hey, I will not tolerate this slander for New Fist Of Fury. Heck I think it might be Jackie's most underappreciated movies and also.... He gets his ass smashed in the end fights. I'm talking he got his butt whooped,hahahahah! That's why I like it!!! I can't wait to get this, 88films have been knockin this out out of the galaxy baby! :BL-Love: 

My favorite bit is when he is using

Spoiler

the three-section staff, it gets one segment broken off, and he uses it like a giant nunchaku

!

45 minutes ago, thundered mantis said:

30 minutes ago, SpartainX said:

Yeah, funny how they don't mention that part at all.

Actually @thundered mantis and @SpartainX he is NOT on a wire for that kick. :bigsmile:

First of all, his body has natural movement, and it's obvious that he got a running start from out of frame. But more importantly, I watched it frame by frame (the new, 88 Films HD version) and there's no wire. Not only is there no wire actually visible (which would've shown up clearly against the light blue sky), but Jet turns completely around in the shot and the telltale "it could only be from a wire" odd jacket wrinkle/pull is not there in the middle of his back, nor can you see any wires near his hips, moving against his arms/sleeves, nor a harness bulge under his shirt in the back as his jacket lifts up. This was a low budget film and this scene was filmed on location atop a skyscraper so they didn't have the time or money to build a support system above the actors for a wire-rigging set-up. That's simply 100% skill you're looking at.

And that's part of why I dig this particular Jet Li movie. We get to see what he can do without any film-making trickery, and he's just that good that you think "That dude must've been on wires!" :nerd:

• Like 16

2 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Not only was the US release from Dimension cut, but the UK VHS was censored for a scenes showing nunchaku, brass knuckles, and a ballisong knife.

My favorite bit is when he is using

Reveal hidden contents

the three-section staff, it gets one segment broken off, and he uses it like a giant nunchaku

!

Actually @thundered mantis and @SpartainX he is NOT on a wire for that kick. :bigsmile:

First of all, his body has natural movement, and it's obvious that he got a running start from out of frame. But more importantly, I watched it frame by frame (the new, 88 Films HD version) and there's no wire. Not only is there no wire actually visible (which would've shown up clearly against the light blue sky), but Jet turns completely around in the shot and the telltale "it could only be from a wire" odd jacket wrinkle/pull is not there in the middle of his back, nor can you see any wires near his hips, moving against his arms/sleeves, nor a harness bulge under his shirt in the back as his jacket lifts up. This was a low budget film and this scene was filmed on location atop a skyscraper so they didn't have the time or money to build a support system above the actors for a wire-rigging set-up. That's simply 100% skill you're looking at.

And that's part of why I dig this particular Jet Li movie. We get to see what he can do without any film-making trickery, and he's just that good that you think "That dude must've been on wires!" :nerd:

Well said, thanks for schooling us on this topic.  I can tell i'm going to enjoy listening to your audio commentary on "The Master"

• Like 4

thundered mantis
3 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Wow, as @SpartainX just said, thank you for the insight. I stand corrected, it´s clear that you really went deep with this one. I was gonna pass on this edition, as I´m not the biggest Jet Li movies fan, but now I really want to hear your audio commentary. I thought he was running/jumping out of frame from a platform or similar, and then "aided" for the last kick and twist, as it looked he goes a little up at the end. Camera placement and editing can make it look bigger also. Haha I also thought other moves on the rooftop fight were wire assisted: Jet´s falls onto some sort of alluminium roof, and Jerry Trimble front backflip kick (or whatever is called). Maybe a couple more moves springboard. I do like wires when slightly used to give more wow to a scene, like when Jerry Trimble kicks I think it´s Yuen Wah and he crashes through a library. Don´t like them when the movies get too unrealistic.

Thank you again and sorry if I mislead anyone!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, thundered mantis said:

Wow, as @SpartainX just said, thank you for the insight. I stand corrected, it´s clear that you really went deep with this one. I was gonna pass on this edition, as I´m not the biggest Jet Li movies fan, but now I really want to hear your audio commentary. I thought he was running/jumping out of frame from a platform or similar, and then "aided" for the last kick and twist, as it looked he goes a little up at the end. Camera placement and editing can make it look bigger also. Haha I also thought other moves on the rooftop fight were wire assisted: Jet´s falls onto some sort of alluminium roof, and Jerry Trimble front backflip kick (or whatever is called). Maybe a couple more moves springboard. I do like wires when slightly used to give more wow to a scene, like when Jerry Trimble kicks I think it´s Yuen Wah and he crashes through a library. Don´t like them when the movies get too unrealistic.

Thank you again and sorry if I mislead anyone!

You did no such thing on misleading though, alot of people giving out false information on Jet over the years.  Some are bias over things they'ev been told over whoever they like by some people who haven't done their full research or not.   It's good we have Kung Fu Bob and Big Mike to set us stright on misinformation that some people were given.    But we forget Jet  did flims without wires no the Shaolin Temple flims,  Dragon Fight, The Master and Hitman etc.   

Wire-Fu can be fun if done right, but if it's done wrong it gets to be too silly to look at. With the right camara work and editing, you can make an amazing Wire-Fu fight.  As much as  i enjoy them i prefer more less wirey stuff more grounded stand on  action/Martial Arts  fight scenes:

• Like 4

I got these in my mailbox an hour ago.   Fearless Hyena is just as amazing as it was years ago when i first watched it when i was in grade school back in the day. When i first got into Jackie Chan back in the day pre-Rumble in the Bronx /Pre-Rush Hour.   I prefer it in Cantonese with english subs.

@Mike Leeder and 

Arne Venema's audio commentary is always fun to listen to.

@KUNG FU BOB arts work on the cover is amazing.

Dragon Lord is good, although not as good as Young Master interms of the ending fight but it's better than i remembered.  It's amazing to see different cuts of the flim.

Now i patiently wait for The Master and Knock Off.

WIN_20200817_19_17_57_Pro.jpg

• Like 6

After watching the restored trailer for it on YouTube just now, I’m really REALLY wanting 88 Films to announce HALF A LOAF OF KUNG FU next. It looks like another undiscovered early Jackie kung fu comedy gem, right up my alley. I’m hoping it at least approaches the high quality of THE FEARLESS HYENA.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Well, I must say I’m now definitely looking forward to watching this! Perhaps the awfulness of Jackie’s Lo Wei period is just a myth...?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, WaverBoy said:

After watching the restored trailer for it on YouTube just now, I’m really REALLY wanting 88 Films to announce HALF A LOAF OF KUNG FU next. It looks like another undiscovered early Jackie kung fu comedy gem, right up my alley. I’m hoping it at least approaches the high quality of THE FEARLESS HYENA.

It's not only one of the better flims Jackie made with Lo Wei but also one of Jackie's best.  I recommend it!

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, SpartainX said:

It's not only one of the better flims Jackie made with Lo Wei but also one of Jackie's best.  I recommend it!

Holy shit I think that’s about the first positive notice I’ve read for this poor film! It seems to mostly get unceremoniously slagged off. Now I’m looking forward to it even more!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SpartainX said:

I got these in my mailbox an hour ago.   Fearless Hyena is just as amazing as it was years ago when i first watched it when i was in grade school back in the day. When i first got into Jackie Chan back in the day pre-Rumble in the Bronx /Pre-Rush Hour.   I prefer it in Cantonese with english subs.

@Mike Leeder and 

Arne Venema's audio commentary is always fun to listen to.

@KUNG FU BOB arts work on the cover is amazing.

Dragon Lord is good, although not as good as Young Master interms of the ending fight but it's better than i remembered.  It's amazing to see different cuts of the flim.

Now i patiently wait for The Master and Knock Off.

WIN_20200817_19_17_57_Pro.jpg

Nice shirt!

3 minutes ago, WaverBoy said:

Holy shit I think that’s about the first positive notice I’ve read for this poor film! It seems to mostly get unceremoniously slagged off. Now I’m looking forward to it even more!

It's better than it's given credit for, IMO!

• Like 4