The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

Cant wait for The Young Master hopefully they include taiwanese cut aswell.

Still really want spooky encounters tho

And Righting wrongs

• Like 11

thundered mantis

Sorry can anyone provide the link to the Amazon preorder? Can't find it. 

Have received both Fearless Hyena and Dragon Lord. Must say the trailer we watched from DL didn't do the release justice. So great PQ. Perfect releases. Very happy with those. It was years since I didn't watch one of those classics on its entirety, and those releases have made me do it again. Hope they keep releasing more Jack, Sammo and hopefully some independent classics

Edited by thundered mantis
  • Like 6

Great to see The Young Master getting the treatment! Would like to see more Sammo Hung, Bill Yuen, Jet Li, Donnie Yen, and Chow Yun-Fat titles.

• Like 9

Master with OK Fingers
3 hours ago, thundered mantis said:

Sorry can anyone provide the link to the Amazon preorder? Can't find it. 

Have received both Fearless Hyena and Dragon Lord. Must say the trailer we watched from DL didn't do the release justice. So great PQ. Perfect releases. Very happy with those. It was years since I didn't watch one of those classics on its entirety, and those releases have made me do it again. Hope they keep releasing more Jack, Sammo and hopefully some independent classics

I must have caught them the second they went live! lol. They should be back up again in a day or so.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Young-Master-Blu-ray/dp/B08FYB1S8J/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1SI1O75ISZ6I2&dchild=1&keywords=young+master+blu+ray&qid=1597499315&sprefix=young+master%2Caps%2C214&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Fist-of-Fury-Blu-ray/dp/B08FY7NW78/ref=sr_1_1?crid=OMKUVWG72AGK&dchild=1&keywords=new+fist+of+fury+blu+ray&qid=1597499377&sprefix=new+fist+blu+ray%2Caps%2C159&sr=8-1

• Like 5

Master with OK Fingers
4 hours ago, thehangman said:

Cant wait for The Young Master hopefully they include taiwanese cut aswell.

Still really want spooky encounters tho

And Righting wrongs

Couldn't agree more. I commissioned HKR for their release of Righting Wrongs/Above the Law and was very pleased with it. I would appreciate an official release to show it some love!

Yuen Biao Kick - Album on Imgur

• Like 8

So, my Jackie two-pack preorder of THE FEARLESS HYENA and DRAGON LORD finally arrived from 88 Films. I watched the former last night, in Cantonese mono with subtitles. WOW. I gotta say, after finally getting to see this film, and in such pristine condition, I think that THE FEARLESS HYENA is right up there with SNAKE IN THE EAGLE’S SHADOW and DRUNKEN MASTER. I keep hearing (including from the commentators on this disc) eh, it’s not as good, not as polished, not controlled enough, too inconsistent in tone, Jackie’s too self-indulgent because it’s his first time directing, etc. Well, I don’t agree, I think it all works beautifully. And I always have to laugh when I hear complaints about uneven tone in HK films — that’s part and parcel of the HK film viewing experience. One of the intrinsic things I love about HK films in general is their gleeful disregard for your conventional even tone, and this one is a shining example of that; I just don’t personally find it jarring at all. Where has this film BEEN all my life?

Excellent job, Jackie, on your directorial debut, a crackerjack Kung fu slapstick dramedy with razor-sharp choreography and some fabulous camerawork choices. And major kudos to 88 Films and crew for giving it to us in such a fine presentation. Top marks all ‘round.

And now I’m super amped to watch DRAGON LORD! I’ll return with my thoughts on that one. Also, THE YOUNG MASTER??? Jesus 88, you’re gonna bankrupt me! Because now, as soon as they go up for preorder at 88’s site I gotta order:

SHAOLIN WOODEN MEN (haven’t seen)

SPIRITUAL KUNG FU (haven’t seen)

THE YOUNG MASTER (haven’t seen in a looooong time and don’t remember much except that I really liked it)

NEW FIST OF FURY (haven’t seen this one but from clips I’ve seen and reviews I’ve read it looks pretty dire, so I’m not really excited about this one but it’ll be nice to have for completist’s sake and I suppose for academic purposes 🤷🏼‍♂️)

And I’ll add these ones which I missed upon their original release:

TO KILL WITH INTRIGUE (haven’t seen)

SNAKE AND CRANE ARTS OF SHAOLIN (haven’t seen)

BATTLE CREEK BRAWL (I’ve always loved this oft-maligned early Jackie film, the first one I ever saw as a young lad, and think it’s sadly underrated; a very entertaining kung fu action comedy gangster thriller, what a fine mashup! And, José Ferrer and Mako are just great in supporting roles, with the adorable Kristine DeBell a nice love interest for Jackie. I know, it’s a Hollywood product as opposed to a HK film, but it’s such an extremely likable one, and the memorable score by the great Lalo Schifrin is aces, whistleable even! For a Hollywood Jackie, I’ll take it any day over RUSH HOUR, SHANGHAI NOON, etc. I so wish we could get a do-over of this one and DRAGON FIST from 88 due to their various substandard video quality issues)

I’m still kinda on the fence about picking up THE PROTECTOR though, as I don’t have fond memories of this one from watching it back in the day. Anyone wanna try and convince me I should? 🤓

Edited by WaverBoy
  • Like 11

Master with OK Fingers
23 minutes ago, WaverBoy said:

So, my Jackie two-pack preorder of THE FEARLESS HYENA and DRAGON LORD finally arrived from 88 Films. I watched the former last night, in Cantonese mono with subtitles. WOW. I gotta say, after finally getting to see this film, and in such pristine condition, I think that THE FEARLESS HYENA is right up there with SNAKE IN THE EAGLE’S SHADOW and DRUNKEN MASTER. I keep hearing (including from the commentators on this disc) eh, it’s not as good, not as polished, not controlled enough, too inconsistent in tone, Jackie’s too self-indulgent because it’s his first time directing, etc. Well, I don’t agree, I think it all works beautifully. And I always have to laugh when I hear complaints about uneven tone in HK films — that’s part and parcel of the HK film viewing experience. One of the intrinsic things I love about HK films in general is their gleeful disregard for your conventional even tone, and this one is a shining example of that; I just don’t personally find it jarring at all. Where has this film BEEN all my life?

Excellent job, Jackie, on your directorial debut, a crackerjack Kung fu slapstick dramedy with razor-sharp choreography and some fabulous camerawork choices. And major kudos to 88 Films and crew for giving it to us in such a fine presentation. Top marks all ‘round.

And now I’m super amped to watch DRAGON LORD! I’ll return with my thoughts on that one. Also, THE YOUNG MASTER??? Jesus 88, you’re gonna bankrupt me! Because now, as soon as they go up for preorder at 88’s site I gotta order:

SHAOLIN WOODEN MEN (haven’t seen)

SPIRITUAL KUNG FU (haven’t seen)

THE YOUNG MASTER (haven’t seen in a looooong time and don’t remember much except that I really liked it)

NEW FIST OF FURY (haven’t seen this one but from clips I’ve seen and reviews I’ve read it looks pretty dire, so I’m not really excited about this one but it’ll be nice to have for completist’s sake and I suppose for academic purposes 🤷🏼‍♂️)

And I’ll add these ones which I missed upon their original release:

TO KILL WITH INTRIGUE (haven’t seen)

SNAKE AND CRANE ARTS OF SHAOLIN (haven’t seen)

BATTLE CREEK BRAWL (I’ve always loved this oft-maligned early Jackie film, the first one I ever saw as a young lad, and think it’s sadly underrated; a very entertaining kung fu action comedy gangster thriller, what a fine mashup! And, José Ferrer and Mako are just great in supporting roles, with the adorable Kristine DeBell a nice love interest for Jackie. I know, it’s a Hollywood product as opposed to a HK film, but it’s such an extremely likable one, and the memorable score by the great Lalo Schifrin is aces, whistleable even! For a Hollywood Jackie, I’ll take it any day over RUSH HOUR, SHANGHAI NOON, etc. I so wish we could get a do-over of this one and DRAGON FIST from 88 due to their various substandard video quality issues)

I’m still kinda on the fence about picking up THE PROTECTOR though, as I don’t have fond memories of this one from watching it back in the day. Anyone wanna try and convince me I should? 🤓

Well said! Fearless has always been up there for me. A fantastic film.

Big Brawl, the same. One i used to watch a lot growing up so lots of fond memories.

You should definitely get The Protector, while not one of the best its still worthy of being in your collection, especially if you are a completist lol.

Probably impossible but if only you could watch the US cut, enjoy it but feel that there is something missing, wait 30years an then finally see the fight scenes you never knew existed on the Japanese cut. You would be where I am and it feel its a lot more like a JC film now, rather than the US cut being just a film with JC in it.

• Like 7

20 hours ago, Master with OK Fingers said:

Both up for pre-order on Amazon. The Young Master is £25, this must be something special for that price.

A few of the 88 Films Blu-rays seem to be initially listed as £24.99 but then when they're actually released say there on sale for £14.99.

The recent release of The Fearless Hyena for example:

1941804468_tfh1.png.400969ac9ab3a73f6e09c39c4563ca7f.png

tfh.png.5b9e41828d6f6b9233773889a6106ccc.png

• Like 5

We don't all like the same films, so I would definitely suggest that prospectus viewers watch for themselves (instead of relying on feedback/reviews). You might find enjoyment or reward, even if there are reported flaws. Believe me, there's been a number of movies heralded as the greatest and I thought otherwise, and vice versa!:cool

Plus, there's a chance that the improved presentation will affect previous perceptions.:wink

• Like 12

8 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

If you expect another wall-to-wall Jackie Chan modern like Police Story, look elsewhere. But personally, I really enjoy it. It's so 80s yet different from your usual buddy action movies of that era.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, chen lung said:

We don't all like the same films, so I would definitely suggest that prospectus viewers watch for themselves (instead of relying on feedback/reviews). You might find enjoyment or reward, even if there are reported flaws. Believe me, there's been a number of movies heralded as the greatest and I thought otherwise, and vice versa!:cool

Plus, there's a chance that the improved presentation will affect previous perceptions.:wink

This is true, these new presentations alone have helped me find some new appreciation for some movies that I didn’t really bother to watch often because of awful quality, The Protector and Fearless Hyena for example. A whole new life is being injected into these movies thanks to 88 Films and the contributions of fans/experts. If you’re unsure about a movie, don’t decide until you’ve seen the release from these guys.

• Like 8

Does anyone recommend JCVD's Knock Off I am on the fence about preordering it and adding it to my action movie collection as reviews are mixed is it a worthy addition to add to my collection or should I stay away from it

• Like 1

Drunken Monk
2 hours ago, actionfan93 said:

Does anyone recommend JCVD's Knock Off I am on the fence about preordering it and adding it to my action movie collection as reviews are mixed is it a worthy addition to add to my collection or should I stay away from it

I just watched this one the other day. Long story short, it’s garbage. Van Damme is doubles for 80% of the action and while some of the Hong Kong style stunts are good, the rest is lame as hell.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Drunken Monk said:

I just watched this one the other day. Long story short, it’s garbage. Van Damme is doubles for 80% of the action and while some of the Hong Kong style stunts are good, the rest is lame as hell.

Drunken Monk thank you for the reply I appreciate it

TibetanWhiteCrane

5 hours ago, actionfan93 said:

Knock Off is a movie you have to like despite its flaws.... same with Double Team. For me personally, my love for Van Damme, the 90's nostalgia and the shameless entertainment level... for better or worse... is what makes me enjoy them. Other people will obviously have a completely different experience. They are the two last films of his big studio A-list run and also where my interest in his filmography ends. As a first time viewer 22 years on, you probably wouldn't be too impressed.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Knock Off is a movie you have to like despite its flaws.... same with Double Team. For me personally, my love for Van Damme, the 90's nostalgia and the shameless entertainment level... for better or worse... is what makes me enjoy them. Other people will obviously have a completely different experience. They are the two last films of his big studio A-list run and also where my interest in his filmography ends. As a first time viewer 22 years on, you probably wouldn't be too impressed.

thank you for the reply TibetanWhiteCrane most of the films in my collection don't have the best plots my collection starts with Bruce Lee and goes to the latest John Wick there are alot of films where plot doesn't matter as much to me as the action does I've got films like City Hunter,Forced Vegenance, Game Of Death,On Deadly Ground,Fire Down Below etc several which were box office flops where the plots are all over the place but I still enjoyed because of the action so the biggest question is how much action does Knock off have if the plot isn't there then I need it as packed with action as possible I was also reading up on Double Team but of the 2 Knock Off seems like it would be the better fit to my collection

Edited by actionfan93
  • Like 3

TibetanWhiteCrane
16 minutes ago, actionfan93 said:

thank you for the reply TibetanWhiteCrane most of the films in my collection don't have the best plots my collection starts with Bruce Lee and goes to the latest John Wick there are alot of films where plot doesn't matter as much to me as the action does I've got films like City Hunter,Forced Vegenance, Game Of Death,On Deadly Ground,Fire Down Below etc several which were box office flops where the plots are all over the place but I still enjoyed because of the action so the biggest question is how much action does Knock off have if the plot isn't there then I need as it as packed with action as possible I was also reading up on Double Team but of the 2 Knock Off seems like it would be the better fit to my collection

I like the action in both.... it's big and dumb and super 90's, but those are all plusses in my book.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

I like the action in both.... it's big and dumb and super 90's, but those are all plusses in my book.

so would you recommend both then does Knock off have close to non stop action I read that its filmed like a Hong Kong action movie but has green explosions

• Like 3

TibetanWhiteCrane
4 minutes ago, actionfan93 said:

so would you recommend both then does Knock off have close to non stop action I read that its filmed like a Hong Kong action movie but has green explosions

I probably wouldn't recommend them as first time watches in 2020, no. They are both Hollywood banked Tsui Hark movies, which gives them a strange vibe as Hark's wacky ideas and often manic pace meets the more measured American approach in a hodge-podge of styles that either works for you or doesn't. I think just watching the original theatrical trailers gives one a good idea of what to expect.

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane thank you for the reply after reading it I went looking on youtube where I found the whole movie free to watch with ads I was expecting a horrible movie that would put me to sleep based off the many reviews what I got was a zero to 100 action packed cheesy 90s movie that is not the worst action film I've seen and looked like a worthy addition to my action movie blu-ray collection I've seen some pretty bad action films such as most of Godfrey Ho's cut and paste movies which I will say Knock off is much better than most of those

• Like 3

I can't wait for Mike Leeder's audio commentery for Knock Off to  make it alot more fun to watch with all the behind the scenes stories being told.

Edited by SpartainX
I wanted more stuff
  • Like 2

On 8/14/2020 at 12:22 AM, KUNG FU BOB said:

Thanks @Drunksnake.

Here's the features announcement:

***Artwork and Features Reveal***
THE MASTER
Starring Jet Li, Yuen Wah, Jerry Trimble and Crystal Kwok

We have brand-new 5.1 and mono remixes amongst all the original audio options you could ever want plus this release has KUNG FU BOBS FIRST EVER audio commentary....!!! WAHHAAA You Just have to check it out! Plus a second commentary by BIG MIKE and ARNE and a new interview with Stuntman JOHN KRENG

Acclaimed director / producer Tsui Hark (Once Upon a Time in China Trilogy, The Killer, A Better Tomorrow) presents the story of a young Kung Fu champion (Jet Li, star of Hero, Kiss of the Dragon, Unleashed) who becomes embroiled in a violent vendetta against his former master, and must use his amazing martial arts skills to survive on the brutal streets of downtown L.A!

[Limited Edition Slipcase]
[Limited A3 Poster]
[Limited Postcards x 4]
New artwork from R.P. “Kung Fu Bob” O’Brien
New 2K Remaster from The Original 35mm Negatives in 1.85:1 Aspect Ratio
Cantonese mono (original theatrical mix)
Cantonese mono (2020 remastered mix)
New Cantonese 5.1 Re-Mix
English mono (Export Version)
English 5.1 Surround
Audio Commentary with Big Mike Leeder and Arne Venema
Audio Commentary by R.P. “Kung Fu Bob” O’Brien
NEW - An Interview with actor/ stuntman John Kreng
[Archive] The Insider: An Interview with Stuntman and Author John Kreng
[Archive] Crystal Clear: An Interview with Leading-Lady Crystal Kwok
[Archive] The Master: An Interview with Yuen Wah
Original Trailer
English Trailer
Reversible sleeve with Original HK Poster Art

Sounds phenomenal cannot wait for this release and yes kungfubob your art work astounds me keep it up buddy 

• Like 4

88films will ruin me !! I added some of their items to my cart yesterday, but Dragon Lord isn't available ! I missed it and I fear to miss all the extras announced in the preorder such as the postcards and the poster !! :bs_firey:

And the amount is almost 80 £ for what I put in the cart !! I wonder if I click on "buy"...:bs_smile:

• Like 2

• Administrator
On 8/14/2020 at 2:41 PM, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

It's straight up shit.... and the only reason they release it is cuz of JC, of course the irony being there's nothing Jackie about it. I think even he would say that.

Never one to mince words. :xd:

But Dude, for me NEW FIST OF FURY is easily in the top two Jackie Chan films that he's ever starred in with titles that start with the letter "N". Easily!

On 8/14/2020 at 4:25 PM, Master with OK Fingers said:

While New Fist of Fury is nowhere near the top of my list, 88films & @KUNG FU BOB are gonna crush it and it will be the best version to have out there.

Anyway I can't go against my blood oath to buy everything Jackie Chan, now can I? Lol

Keep em coming!

We WILL crush it. In fact, the 88 Films' team collectively spent an eight hour shift all holding hands and jumping up and down on it ( @chen lung's grip is insane!) . We've also got a dump-truck full of cinder-blocks scheduled to be delivered right onto this project. We will get this crushed no matter what.

Same as you @Master with OK Fingers I would pick this Blu-ray up for my collection (even if I had nothing to do with the release), but it isn't among my favorites. And yes, the team will make sure that this is the definitive release of this title, easily surpassing all previous releases.

On 8/14/2020 at 4:36 PM, DragonClaws said:

Looking forward to seeing the cover art/extras for these releases. 

Me too. :happy

On 8/14/2020 at 8:49 PM, actionfan93 said:

congrats to everyone who was waiting for these releases I will be waiting for hopefully Tiger Cage 1 and 2, Armour of God, a Lucky Stars boxset and Twin Dragons from either 88 films or Eureka

I'd be happy to see releases of any or all of these titles too.

On 8/14/2020 at 11:28 PM, SpartainX said:

Heroic Trio would be a great flim to be released by either company.

YES @SpartainX! HEROIC TRIO is a ton of fun and doesn't seem to get talked about very much these days.  A Blu-ray release would be welcome and reintroduce the film to new generations. I'm long overdue to revisit this and it's lesser, but still entertaining sequel EXECUTIONERS.

On 8/15/2020 at 2:03 AM, De Ming Li said:

Fantastic, your best one so far Bob! All the previous ones have been great too of course

Thank you!

On 8/15/2020 at 3:16 AM, sifu iron perm said:

a signed kiss from KUNG Fu BOB.

They nixed this idea because of the pandemic... :puke

On 8/15/2020 at 10:27 AM, WaverBoy said:

Personally I think some of the comedy stuff goes on a little too long in FEARLESS HYENA, but most of it is hilarious, and I love the action. I'd personally put it slightly below DM and SitES, but I'd rate it a classic for sure.

BATTLE CREEK BRAWL does have all the plus points, but there's some stuff about it that grates a bit too.

I find THE PROTECTOR to be a highly enjoyable, gritty '80s movie with Jackie Chan somehow replacing Robert Ginty. :happy Naked ladies, Superfoot with a power saw, cursing and kill-crazy Jackie... what more could you ask for? Explosions you say? Okay. You got 'em. Sleazy fun!

On 7/31/2020 at 12:02 PM, Master with OK Fingers said:

I know what I'm watching tonight!

IMG_20200731_170110.jpg

Cool background! Hope that's not your car windshield @Master with OK Fingers?

On 8/7/2020 at 4:26 PM, Master with OK Fingers said:
Just finished FH and its the best it's ever looked. Fantastic film. 👍

I'm all about the original dubs but I forgot how this one sounded and If I hadn't grown up watching this film, I really wouldn't know what to make of it. The voice actors must have been drunk and so many crazy sounds, phrases and lines.
"Here I come, the sweeping broom". 😂

Great action, and some really laugh out load bits, sometimes just because of the afformentioned dubbing.

One of my favourites growing up and still is. Excellent work from 88films and everyone else involved.

On a side note, I challenge anyone to listen to the dub and when The Master Te-Cha speaks, not hear the IT Crowds Richard Ayoade! 🤔

It's funny- normally I shun dubs and prefer subs. But on this one I find the dub amusing, but most people dislike it. :tongue:

On 8/13/2020 at 6:25 PM, Drunksnake said:

Just seen the artwork for the The Master, another masterpiece as you’d expect. It’s like an urban Kung Fu graffiti piece with a whole lot to look at it’s really great. Another one for the collection.

84492D01-7D70-4039-91B9-52A605F811CE.png

I forgot to mention- there's some "Easter eggs" on the graffiti wall... :nerd:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

TibetanWhiteCrane
14 minutes ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Never one to mince words. :xd:

But Dude, for me NEW FIST OF FURY is easily in the top two Jackie Chan films that he's ever starred in with titles that start with the letter "N". Easily!

I will concede and concur, Sir Bob.

• Haha 1