The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

sifu iron perm
1 hour ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Got an LD rip and while watchable, a fresh release would sure hit the spot.... but like I said, it ain't gonna happen.

Did you get that from far east flix?

thundered mantis

Pantyhose hero contains the best fighting and stunts seen on any modern Sammo.It's up there with Pedicab Driver, IMO. Ridley Tsui vs Sammo go on another gear in this one 

• Like 2

Killer Meteor
2 hours ago, Asmo said:

They're both solid if you look at them within the context of the time they were made. Awesome that you own both of them on laserdisc.

I think they were very dated by the time they were made. Even Wong Jing probably felt "Dude, that's racist!"

TibetanWhiteCrane
1 hour ago, sifu iron perm said:

Did you get that from far east flix?

No, got it privately on a DVD-r.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

I think they were very dated by the time they were made. Even Wong Jing probably felt "Dude, that's racist!"

You may be right there. If we take that into account, the other aspects of each film are pretty typical of what Sammo was doing at the time. Plus 'Pantyhose Hero' has some oft-used Wong Jing elements at play.

It's a shame in a way that they've been tainted, as the action in both was great (including some hairy stunts in 'Pantyhose Hero') and 'Don't Give a Damn' had some great onscreen chemistry between Sammo and Yuen Biao. I do still like them as films, of course. But there's always going to be a caveat.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Never really liked Don't Give a Damn overall. Genuinly like Pantyhose Hero, and don't find it homophobic despite some lame gay gags here and there. Homosexuality was illegal in HK untill 1990, so Sammo is actually kinda giving a voice to an opressed group... in his own somewhat ham-handed way, but at least he acknowledges they exist in HK society and features them as both good and badguys here. And as someone mentioned, it has some of the hardest action, stunts and violence that him and his team ever put on film.

• Like 5

TibetanWhiteCrane

Yeah, there probably never will be a better copy than the LD rip so go ahead and get one.

• Like 2

TibetanWhiteCrane
9 minutes ago, String said:

If only this version was available:

Hell yeah.... what even language is this?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Hell yeah.... what even language is this?

It's Malay.

It have made the rounds on Malaysian & Singapore TV stations.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, String said:

I think it's Malay. I think TV3 is a station in Malaysia. I just stumbled across it on YouTube.

Yep, it's a TV station in Malaysia, I do get that channel but when I watch I mostly Channel 5 (Singapore) which broadcast in English

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Asmo said:

Best bet is finding someone who can trade you a laserdisc rip. There's a Panmedia bootleg made from a laserdisc rip, but (as well as just being Panmedia) the disc authoring has inherent flaws.

There's a VCD too, but it's full screen.

That's one i was talking about.

• Like 1

A Pantyhose Hero BD would be day one for me. Not a great movie, but the action sequences are fantastic!

Never liked Don’t Give a Damn.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SpartainX said:

That's one i was talking about.

Fair. We kind of advise that people don't support Panmedia since they've done more harm than good to both us as collectors and to the genres of film that we enjoy. So if anyone is after that DVD, it'd be better to get it via an indirect source, or failing that get a DVD-R of it since the DVD-R would hold up better than the quality of media that Panmedia use.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Asmo said:

Fair. We kind of advise that people don't support Panmedia since they've done more harm than good to both us as collectors and to the genres of film that we enjoy. So if anyone is after that DVD, it'd be better to get it via an indirect source, or failing that get a DVD-R of it since the DVD-R would hold up better than the quality of media that Panmedia use.

I hear you on that part.   I wish there was another way getting a  better verison of Pantyhose Hero.

• Like 2

thundered mantis

I think the VHS was less cropped than this malay vers. Edit, seems not

Edited by thundered mantis

Pardon me for interrupting this Pantyhose Hero discussion. :laluot_20:

On 7/2/2020 at 10:08 AM, Drunksnake said:

Pardon my ignorance but is there a super long version of the Jackie/Hwang In Shik fight from The Young Master? Is there a possibility 88 Films will put out a full uncut version. They’re definitely putting out this one next.

I would love to see a super extended version on the 88 Films release (or any release). The new remaster looks excellent. (and I noticed for the first time that Fan Mei Sheng was probably doubled by Chiang Kam during most of the fan fight, but I digress). It's on the Criterion Channel now if anyone wants to see it.

There's a plethora of extended footage in the International version, the Taiwanese version, and even some rare unedited footage, some of which is on YouTube. I would love to see the longest possible version of the film, even if the video quality/language is constantly changing.

It looks like there's a lot more footage that was left on the cutting room floor for the fight against the guards, the sword fight, the bench fight, and the dress fight. In my free time, I took some of the raw footage and edited some extended versions of the sword fight and dress fight. It's not a perfect edit (with some inevitable continuity errors), there's no color correction, there's no audio, and the quality is bad (the sources I used looked terrible). But I mainly put this together because it goes to show how much deleted footage there is:

• Like 7

I saw again on the big screen of my projector Operation Condor, thanks to the bluray of the 88film. As an avid Jackie fan, I always find it a weak and sometimes silly film (female roles are incredibly two-dimensional: women have to shout for everything and be clumsy and then those two Jihad idiots who appear for no reason). The nice thing about this movie was above all the final sequences in the Nazi base, where Jackie does superhuman things. At that particular moment, I don't know if you've ever noticed, but as soon as the first shots with Vincent Lyn begin to be exchanged, two Vincent's kicks are seen arriving with a strange speed (or specially speeded up or mounted in a strange way) it was a flaw that I always noticed and thought it was gone in this version. Mind you, you can see it as soon as the two start fighting in the hangar. For the rest, it has probably been mastered in the best way, although not exceptional (I think it's a limitation of the film and the quality of the shooting). Of striking remastering I found superior Eastern Condors for example. Was it possible that Sammo had more quality in the means of shooting or the sources from which to take the material were better?

• Like 1