The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

Graeme Of Death

In terms of the Golden Harvest ones I'm quite sure we'll see all the ones Hong Kong Legends had at some point. 

• Like 2

TibetanWhiteCrane

You will NEVER see a new version of Pantyhose Hero in today's world. I like it, but it just ain't gonna happen.

• Like 2

Graeme Of Death

I've never seen Pantyhose Hero, but with a title like that and after looking at the synopsis of the film I can only expect that it's a work of genius.

• Like 1

Omni Dragon
2 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

You will NEVER see a new version of Pantyhose Hero in today's world. I like it, but it just ain't gonna happen.

What is today's world too uptights for Pantyhose?

TibetanWhiteCrane
16 minutes ago, Omni Dragon said:

What is today's world too uptights for Pantyhose?

Is that a real question?

They just deleted an episode of Golden Girls because the old bags are wearing mud masks....... so you tell me. 

Omni Dragon
7 minutes ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Is that a real question?

No it was a joke, perhaps I should have put a space between 'up' and 'tights' or underlined the 's' or put an emoji or something.

TibetanWhiteCrane
2 minutes ago, Omni Dragon said:

No it was a joke, perhaps I should have put a space between 'up' and 'tights' or underlined the 's' or put an emoji or something.

Aaaah, "up tights" got it..... missed that one.

Graeme Of Death

I'd like to see some that are harder to find and not just ones that Hong Kong Legends put out 15 year ago. 

Officer Tuba, Rosa, The Champions, Shanghai Express and the intriguing Pantyhose Hero for me please.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

I would have listed PEDICAB DRIVER but it’s WB so there’s no chance there...

They shouldn't have it.  88 Flims should Kung Fu Bob will give it an epic cover.  Mike  Leeder should do the commantary on the flim...  

• Like 2

TibetanWhiteCrane

Can't really fault them for banking on the "safe" titles. At least they are putting out physical media in a time where the tangible release format is on its death bed. We'll never see something like HKL again, who took chances on more obscure titles... sometimes hitting the mark, sometimes not. Those days are over.

Lot of more obscure titles coming out on HK Blu these days though.... many I'm not interested in, but a few here and there are nice to see popping up.

Not expecting any of my more deep cut wants ever seeing the light of day on disc. Don't think these labels are falling all over each other to bring out Man on the Brink, Coolie Killer, Killer's Romance, Forsaken Cop, Manchester Death Warrant, Phantom War, Crocodile Hunter etc. Maybe a few of those will hit German Blu, but I'm not holding my breath.

Of course I'm speaking more in general HK film terms here.... not Kung Fu.

For the more rare old school KF titles, my list is too long and never gonna materialize.

Edited by TibetanWhiteCrane
  • Like 2

Graeme Of Death

I don't think it's a case of them going for more safe titles. I assume they've just bought the UK rights for the films from whoever had them that dealt with HKL. So it's a straight forward case of "remastering" them, new cover, copy the extras across and away you go?

88 Films have had some decent Shaw Brothers ones that weren't readily available in the UK but I can't see them coming out with a Pantyhose Hero or Pedicab Driver either. 

The films you mentioned above TibetanWhiteCrane I'm not familiar with them, but if they are of let's say the lower quality of kung fu films I doubt they're any more shite than some of the obscure low budget horror films 88 Films puts out.

• Like 1

actionfan93
11 hours ago, SpartainX said:

My list.

Thunderbolt.

Dragon Fight,

Black Mask.

New Fist of Fury,

Above The Law aka  Righting Wrongs

Tiger Cage 1

Tiger Cage 2

In the Line of Duty 4.

Drunken Taichi

Crystal Hunt

*Fingerscrossed*

Kickboxer  JCVD??

Pedicab Driver  .  

Don't give a Damn.

Fortune Star owns Above The Law/Righting wrongs,In the Line of Duty 4,Tiger cage 1 and 2,Black Mask, Warriors 2, The Young Master,Dreadnaught,Knockabout,Millionaires Express,Iceman Cometh,Spooky Encounters,Bullet in the Head,A better Tomorrow all 3 films and The Killer so these may have a good chance of being 88 films or Eureka future releases and according to their youtube trailers they probably own in the line of duty 3,the blonde Fury,Where's Officer Tuba and The Prodigal son

Edited by actionfan93
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, actionfan93 said:

Fortune Star owns Above The Law/Righting wrongs,In the Line of Duty 4,Tiger cage 1 and 2,Black Mask, Warriors 2, The Young Master,Dreadnaught,Knockabout,Millionaires Express,Iceman Cometh,Spooky Encounters,Bullet in the Head,A better Tomorrow all 3 films and The Killer so these may have a good chance of being 88 films or Eureka future releases and according to their youtube trailers they probably own in the line of duty 3,the blonde Fury,Where's Officer Tuba and The Prodigal son

I'm hope The Prodigal Son, Legacy of Rage gets a release with some Mike Leeder Audio Commantary.    I can see Eureka being the one's releasing  The Lucky Stars  trilogy on blu-ray.  I know Kickboxer is off the table but maybe Double Team???

• Like 2

actionfan93
14 minutes ago, SpartainX said:

I'm hope The Prodigal Son, Legacy of Rage gets a release with some Mike Leeder Audio Commantary.    I can see Eureka being the one's releasing  The Lucky Stars  trilogy on blu-ray.  I know Kickboxer is off the table but maybe Double Team???

Fortune star on youtube shows a trailer for Legacy of Rage so they probably own it as well as Rosa is shown as well

• Like 2

sifu iron perm
10 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

what's the best version to get? i've still not seen it in its entirety!

1 hour ago, saltysam said:

Legacy Of Rage came out from Mediumrare a few years back.

And givng Mike Leeder the dumbest reason why not to include his Audio Commantary.   Ill stick to the Shout DVD till someone gives the flim it's better deserved release.  Because....we're a Brittish company they said why they couldn't include Mike.  SMH!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sifu iron perm said:

For now dvd although not the best but that's all there is since no blu-ray hasn't been released.  Ashame despite this flim will turn 30 next month on August 8.   I highly doubt anyone will go thru that trouble to put it out  a remastered verison on DVD/Blu-ray.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

Best bet is finding someone who can trade you a laserdisc rip. There's a Panmedia bootleg made from a laserdisc rip, but (as well as just being Panmedia) the disc authoring has inherent flaws.

There's a VCD too, but it's full screen.

• Like 2

I had forgotten until recently that I have the LDs of both PANTYHOSE HERO and DON’T GIVE A DAMN. Looks like I’ll be hanging on to those for a while. I can’t wait for my broken LD player to get out of the shop. I haven’t watched those two movies in at least a couple decades.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, WaverBoy said:

I had forgotten until recently that I have the LDs of both PANTYHOSE HERO and DON’T GIVE A DAMN. Looks like I’ll be hanging on to those for a while. I can’t wait for my broken LD player to get out of the shop. I haven’t watched those two movies in at least a couple decades.

They're both solid if you look at them within the context of the time they were made. Awesome that you own both of them on laserdisc.

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane
8 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

Got an LD rip and while watchable, a fresh release would sure hit the spot.... but like I said, it ain't gonna happen.

• Like 2