The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

20 hours ago, Master with OK Fingers said:

Nothing if Friday's or today's post, so fingers crossed for Monday 🤞

Same I haven’t received my copy of Operation Condor was posted on Thursday so hoping to get it Monday 

• Like 2

Master with OK Fingers

Just received my AOG today, cannot wait until the kids are in bed, get the popcorn out and away we go!

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Master with OK Fingers said:

Just received my AOG today, cannot wait until the kids are in bed, get the popcorn out and away we go!

Yeah got mine today to all is good again lol

• Like 4

Master with OK Fingers
On 6/14/2020 at 12:36 PM, thehangman said:

whats the different cut like? that was included thats not been released before?

Just a few extra scenes here and there, nothing of any note. You get some extra shots of the Amazon Natives, an extra scene in the market where the two guys are following Elsa, extended scene where Jackie breaks into Elsa house followed by and extended hiding sequence which includes some voice mails which Elsa has received from people chasing her grandfathers gold. Extra library scene discussion about water and then some extra scenes when they are all having diner at the hotel. Then you have the "Ada butt scene" which is not in the HK cut but was in the original UK VHS/DVD release. I can't think of any other differences after this to the HK cut

Edited by Master with OK Fingers
  • Like 3

Master with OK Fingers
24 minutes ago, sifu iron perm said:

my bluray has no english dub..?

There is only an Eng Dub on the HK cut. The extended version is subs only👍

• Like 1

On 6/14/2020 at 6:12 PM, Ramji said:

Here you go, can say it better than me.

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=824931

I think the extended cut makes a better film actually, although it highlights a few more of the troublesome depictions of women and racial stereotyping. There’s a couple extra flashes of Jackie trickery which is nice.

This link doesn’t include the extended cut only the Japanese cut which isn’t the same.

Got my copy of AoG 2 yesterday, and looked through some of it. Beautiful transfer and subtitling so far!

Looking forward to see the extended cut as I have no clue what the difference is between it, the Japanese extended, and the original HK version. However, the one thing I do know of is Carol Cheng's (her body double) shower scene which has two versions: Her whole body from behind totally shown (uncensored), and only her back being zoomed in on (censored). According to DVD Compare, the uncensored scene was included in few Hong Kong DVDs (1st Megastar edition and IVL) and the censored one included in another (2nd Megastar edition). 88 Films has the censored version of the scene for the HK cut but is included on the extended cut, so depending your preference this edition should please everyone. I'll be the first to say that nudity in pre-1995 Jackie Chan movies is out of place so I'm good with the censored shower scene, with the extended cut being a great alternative on the side.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 6

Drunken Monk

I don’t know if it’s been discussed on here but we shouldn’t expect any Shaws from 88 Films anytime soon. Apparently, another company has picked up the rights to over fifty Shaw Brothers movies in the UK. The thought is that this is either Arrow or Netflix. Fingers crossed, it’s Arrow as that means we may see some semi-decent Blu Rays. But, of course, Netflix is always a possibility, essentially blocking anymore Blu Ray releases.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

5 hours ago, Drunksnake said:

This link doesn’t include the extended cut only the Japanese cut which isn’t the same.

Yes made a mistake in thinking it was the same,  seems very similar though. Sorry! 

27 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

I don’t know if it’s been discussed on here but we shouldn’t expect any Shaws from 88 Films anytime soon. Apparently, another company has picked up the rights to over fifty Shaw Brothers movies in the UK. The thought is that this is either Arrow or Netflix. Fingers crossed, it’s Arrow as that means we may see some semi-decent Blu Rays. But, of course, Netflix is always a possibility, essentially blocking anymore Blu Ray releases.

I’m quite sad to hear that as 88 films did a great job with their shaws releases, yes they were a bit thin on the ground with extras but the slip covers and original artwork on the reversible sleeves was a nice touch. 

• Like 3

Iron Head Rat
14 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Gutted if Netflix..

Edited by Iron Head Rat

Just to be sure : if it's Netflix, it means that there won't be physical releases anymore, right ?

That's a pity !!

And why couldn't 88 Films go on releasing blu rays : there are several German companies releasing these movies at the same time (and sometimes the same movies), so why couldn't several UK companies do the same ?

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

Drunken Monk
1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

Just to be sure : if it's Netflix, it means that there won't be physical releases anymore, right ?

That's a pity !!

And why couldn't 88 Films go on releasing blu rays : there are several German companies releasing these movies at the same time (and sometimes the same movies), so why couldn't several UK companies do the same ?

88 Films can continue to release Shaw’s but since one company have picked up over fifty, there might not be any good ones to pick up anymore. None of the classics, I mean.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Duel to the Death said:

Eureka put out the Drunken Master blu-ray

Yes they did along with some other awesome martial arts releases. But I was wondering if it’s them who got the rights to the Shaw Brothers bundle mentioned above.

• Like 3

Drunken Monk
1 hour ago, saltysam said:

Sounds like Amazon Or Netflix to me. Can't see a physical media company splashing out for 50 movies from Shaws.

I feel the same way. That’s a massive amount of movies to be released on Blu Ray. Seems logical it would be a streaming service.

Duel to the Death

A question since i never watch movies on streaming services. If let's say Netflix gets them does that mean we would only get the dubbed versions of these movies or do they offer other options like Cantonese/Mandarin with subtitles? I don't see myself using these services but i'm just curious. 

• Like 1