The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

Duel to the Death
5 minutes ago, Asmo said:

I've got a copy of Clan on the way too, I'll let you know if my copy is affected.

Thanks

I was one of the lucky ones and received my copy a week or so back. I’ve watched it twice (both cuts) and it’s a fantastic release, looks and sounds amazing.

Watching it this time, and still thoroughly enjoying it, it did strike me at how dumb Jackie made the women out to be in this film, plus there’s some pretty poor racial stereotypes, so it’s not without it’s problems! So much energy and truly fantastic action though.

• Like 2

On 6/10/2020 at 4:58 AM, Duel to the Death said:

I am wondering if somebody can help me out with something. I just got my copy of Clan of the White Lotus from 88 Films and i need to know if something is wrong with my copy. On the Cantonese track it goes silent for a few seconds at 1:11:18 just after Hung Wen-Ting attacks Priest White Lotus on his ear from behind. And the audio comes back at about 1:11:23. Was that on purpose because he hit him on the ear? Or is it a goof on the Blu Ray? I tried 2 different media players on my computer that i use to play Blu Rays and same problem on both. I even ripped it to my computer and still have the issue. It doesn't do that on the English track. 

Also i have a copy of the IVL release on my computer and on both the Cantonese Track and Mandarin track it does not go silent there. So it should not do that on the 88 release. If anybody else owns this, can you see if yours does that. I would appreciate it. Here is a visual cue if it helps. It happens a second after this hit. 

xmeugy7.jpg

Same flaw here...

• Like 3

Duel to the Death
Just now, Tex Killer said:

Same flaw here...

I wonder if they are all like that. 88 Films haven't got back to me yet. 

• Like 2

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
On 6/9/2020 at 9:58 PM, Duel to the Death said:

I am wondering if somebody can help me out with something. I just got my copy of Clan of the White Lotus from 88 Films and i need to know if something is wrong with my copy. On the Cantonese track it goes silent for a few seconds at 1:11:18 just after Hung Wen-Ting attacks Priest White Lotus on his ear from behind. And the audio comes back at about 1:11:23. Was that on purpose because he hit him on the ear? Or is it a goof on the Blu Ray? I tried 2 different media players on my computer that i use to play Blu Rays and same problem on both. I even ripped it to my computer and still have the issue. It doesn't do that on the English track. 

Also i have a copy of the IVL release on my computer and on both the Cantonese Track and Mandarin track it does not go silent there. So it should not do that on the 88 release. If anybody else owns this, can you see if yours does that. I would appreciate it. Here is a visual cue if it helps. It happens a second after this hit. 

@Duel to the Death, @Asmo, I was at a 35mm screening of CLAN OF THE WHITE LOTUS (a vintage, original language, English subtitled print) just a few years ago, and I'm fairly certain the sound cuts out during that scene to indicate damage from the strike to Lo Lieh's ear. @Killer Meteor is correct about the added sound effects on the IVL DVDs, and this may be an example of one of those times.

How is the picture quality on the release?

• Like 4

I watched it a while ago and I don't remember this, but maybe it's on purpose to show that Gordon Liu's strike has had its effect on the supposedly invincible Lo Lieh...

• Like 5

Checked both audios in IVL and after hit to ear Lo Liehs sentence when he talks are complete. In 88 half or so are missing so if it`s done on purpose very odd decision.

Pic quality is good but not among best of 88 Shaws.

• Like 6

Duel to the Death

Ya I would not consider missing dialog to be added sound effects. So it is odd part of the dialog is cut off. 

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
19 minutes ago, Tex Killer said:

Checked both audios in IVL and after hit to ear Lo Liehs sentence when he talks are complete. In 88 half or so are missing so if it`s done on purpose very odd decision.

Pic quality is good but not among best of 88 Shaws.

Thanks @ShawAngela and @Tex Killer.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Master with OK Fingers said:

That feeling when you get a shipment notice from 88films!

Yes Yes Yes GIF

Also applies to your copy of Operation Condor arriving. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Master with OK Fingers
16 hours ago, Asmo said:

Also applies to your copy of Operation Condor arriving. 

When my copy arrives. This is me trying to get to the Blu-ray player as fast as possible!Home Crash GIF

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

megadurilicus

Just got my copy today.  About to watch Mystery of Chessboxing then Operation Condor after.  Gonna be a good night!

• Like 3

Are those 10 mins added footage any action involved? Bit interested of movie but terrible delivery times at least to over here not sure should or not...

edit;purchased it.

Edited by Tex Killer
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Master with OK Fingers said:

When my copy arrives. This is me trying to get to the Blu-ray player as fast as possible!Home Crash GIF

That was me. Haven't tackled the extended cut yet but the theatrical version looks great.

Honestly surprised it got here as quickly as it did.

• Like 3

Duel to the Death

I bought 2 movies from them on the same day but 2 separate orders. They shipped them both on May 26th. I got one of them on June 9th and I'm still waiting on the other. I wish I would of bought them in the same order but the second movie was unplanned spur of the moment decision. 

• Like 1

Duel to the Death

Here i made a clip of the 2 side by side. Clip 1 is the IVL version and Clip 2 is 88 Films. You can hear his laugh and 1 or 2 words are cut off. Maybe 88 Films will address it eventually. They still haven't got back to me. I'm not going to return it or anything. It looks too nice on the shelf. :)

• Like 2

Master with OK Fingers
16 hours ago, Asmo said:

That was me. Haven't tackled the extended cut yet but the theatrical version looks great.

Honestly surprised it got here as quickly as it did.

Nothing if Friday's or today's post, so fingers crossed for Monday 🤞

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Duel to the Death said:

They still haven't got back to me. I'm not going to return it or anything. It looks too nice on the shelf. :)

They usually take week to reply unless you are about to buy something from their store, then they back at you within hours, sometimes even in minutes.

Curious too was it done on purpose, to that very scene it would make sense but bad decision tho. Andi if flaw while some seconds do not really matter but as these are not budget releases quality control should be better.

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
1 hour ago, Tex Killer said:

They usually take week to reply unless you are about to buy something from their store, then they back at you within hours, sometimes even in minutes.

Curious too was it done on purpose, to that very scene it would make sense but bad decision tho. Andi if flaw while some seconds do not really matter but as these are not budget releases quality control should be better.

Looks like an out-and-out mistake.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Master with OK Fingers said:

Nothing if Friday's or today's post, so fingers crossed for Monday 🤞

Fingers crossed. How quickly did they ship yours out?

On 6/11/2020 at 5:25 PM, Ramji said:

I was one of the lucky ones and received my copy a week or so back. I’ve watched it twice (both cuts) and it’s a fantastic release, looks and sounds amazing.

Watching it this time, and still thoroughly enjoying it, it did strike me at how dumb Jackie made the women out to be in this film, plus there’s some pretty poor racial stereotypes, so it’s not without it’s problems! So much energy and truly fantastic action though.

whats the different cut like? that was included thats not been released before?

Master with OK Fingers
4 hours ago, Asmo said:

Fingers crossed. How quickly did they ship yours out?

Posted on Thursday 1st class, so hopefully with me tomorrow.

5 hours ago, thehangman said:

whats the different cut like? that was included thats not been released before?

Here you go, can say it better than me.

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=824931

I think the extended cut makes a better film actually, although it highlights a few more of the troublesome depictions of women and racial stereotyping. There’s a couple extra flashes of Jackie trickery which is nice.

• Like 3