The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

Master with OK Fingers

@KUNG FU BOB  For your perusal. This is the First Mission version released in 1987 I believe.

And the others are the only other ones I could find? Any of these you remember?

I also found this early Japanese version (last pic), also called First Mission. 

first-mission-the-16768l.jpg

s-l300.jpg

HANYA_HARI_INI_video_film_vhs_heart_of_dragon___jackie_chan_.jpg

51Y7P2MTC0L._AC_SY445_.jpg

s-l400 (2).jpg

s-l400 (1).jpg

heart-of-dragon-14687l.jpg

s-l300-1.jpg

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Master with OK Fingers said:

tumblr_ndwt14JgVN1sh2woeo1_1280.jpg

I do not remember anymore did I like movie or not, never seen it on dvd. But seems like good excuse to buy 88 br,,

• Like 5

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
42 minutes ago, Master with OK Fingers said:

@KUNG FU BOB  For your perusal. This is the First Mission version released in 1987 I believe.

And the others are the only other ones I could find? Any of these you remember?

I also found this early Japanese version (last pic), also called First Mission. 

s-l300.jpg

HANYA_HARI_INI_video_film_vhs_heart_of_dragon___jackie_chan_.jpg

Thanks for sharing! The two above are familiar to me (I think the first one is the one I rented way back when), And also one you didn't show, the version from Tai Seng that was released with Western audiences in mind, probably around '97.

1 hour ago, Tex Killer said:

Subs aren`t same on 88 disc than in ivl dvd. I think we had this talk here when it was released and celestial did new subs same as in asian blu ray. Which is pity as they are inferior...88 used what they were sent, think salty sam was the dude had this conversation with...

When you eventually put disc into player and if have seen ivl dvd few times you notice in some mins dialogue in subs is quite awful...

Ah, okay.

I'll probably just watch it with the English dub then (glad 88 included it). I usually enjoy Shaw Brothers films as much (and occasionally more) that way, as that's how I first saw most of them.

37 minutes ago, Tex Killer said:

I do not remember anymore did I like movie or not, never seen it on dvd. But seems like good excuse to buy 88 br,,

It's a good flick. Fun, but also has a big heart and an emotionally strong core, and the action is really good, especially the climax.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

It's a good flick. Fun, but also has a big heart and an emotionally strong core, and the action is really good, especially the climax.

I think 88 posted snippet of action in their fb some time ago and it indeed looked very solid stuff. Yes watch dub of OAS as subs quite horrible in that...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tex Killer said:

Subs aren`t same on 88 disc than in ivl dvd. I think we had this talk here when it was released and celestial did new subs same as in asian blu ray. Which is pity as they are inferior...88 used what they were sent, think salty sam was the dude had this conversation with...

When you eventually put disc into player and if have seen ivl dvd few times you notice in some mins dialogue in subs is quite awful...

Maybe someday 88 will get the rights to Return of the One-Armed Swordsman and The New One-Armed Swordsman and do a trilogy box set (all with new subs of course). 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Markgway said:

Maybe someday 88 will get the rights to Return of the One-Armed Swordsman and The New One-Armed Swordsman and do a trilogy box set (all with new subs of course). 

That would be incredible...And if you do subs for part 1 specially.

• Like 3

sifu iron perm

the japanese extended with english dub is the best ever!!

i fell in love with this film all over again!!!

with saturday night tokyo playing on top of the closing montage!!!

• Like 8

Hong Kong English title = Heart of Dragon

Japanese English title = The First Mission

International English title = The First Mission

In terms of English trailers, here is one with the title 'The First Mission'. However, this disc features another with a title I don't think I had ever seen/heard before: 'Raging Force' (perhaps someone can fill me in?).

• Like 6

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
1 hour ago, chen lung said:

Hong Kong English title = Heart of Dragon

Japanese English title = The First Mission

International English title = The First Mission

In terms of English trailers, here is one with the title 'The First Mission'. However, this disc features another with a title I don't think I had ever seen/heard before: 'Raging Force' (perhaps someone can fill me in?).

Thanks for the info @chen lung.

Well @Master with OK Fingers it looks like I stand corrected. I was going on the fact that every HK and US release that I ever saw- VHS, Laserdidc, DVD- had HEART OF DRAGON as the title.

• Like 5

Master with OK Fingers

@chen lung thanks for clarifying and I just watched the trailer and OMG so many memories! It just makes you want to watch the film again.

I have fond memories of all of those trailers growing up, and they always seemed to be  followed by the Black Eagle trailer I seem to recall. I think that one was on every JC VHS in that era! 😀

• Like 7

I received Heart of Dragon yesterday and what an excellent release again by 88 Films! I very much enjoyed the behind the scenes footage this was an awesome bonus! I watched the Japanese cut with Cantonese and HK soundtrack and thoroughly enjoyed the movie especially with the two extras fight scenes. It was a crime to remove these scenes and now they’re on a decent release I think I’ll end up re-watching HOD a bit more than I ever have done! Can’t wait for the next three Jackie Chan titles from 88.

• Like 9

Got this yesterday myself but skimmed through some parts of the movie. Excellent transfer and treatment overall! Gonna watch it later today.

• Like 7

Master with OK Fingers

I was thinking about ordering Clan Of The White Lotus and The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter. Jackie Chan is definitely more my thing/style but don't mind some old school stuff. Can anyone advise if they are worth the outlay and if they are similar to anything else?

• Like 4

Killer Meteor

Clan of the White Lotus is mostly slightly lame comedy but has decent actions. 8 Diagram Pole FIghter is a very intense dramatic piece and comes highly reccomended.

• Like 6

Master with OK Fingers
8 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

Clan of the White Lotus is mostly slightly lame comedy but has decent actions. 8 Diagram Pole FIghter is a very intense dramatic piece and comes highly reccomended.

Thanks for the info👍

• Like 4

Master with OK Fingers

Just watched again today with the Japanese cut and it was great seeing the extra scenes. As with the Protector, I cannot understand why you would cut fight scenes for different releases. You watch these for the action and when it comes to Jackie Chan, more is always better! 

• Like 5

Master with OK Fingers

Forgot to add. The Japanese cut with the original Eng Dub and the subs for the extra scenes works perfectly. This should definitely be used more on future releases. It's literally the best of both. I get to watch the uncut version with the language/dub I want. Perfect. 👍

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Master with OK Fingers said:

Just watched again today with the Japanese cut and it was great seeing the extra scenes. As with the Protector, I cannot understand why you would cut fight scenes for different releases. You watch these for the action and when it comes to Jackie Chan, more is always better! 

In my opinion, they detracted from the story, which was intended to be a fairly serious drama. Golden Harvest were supposedly desperate to have more fights, but Sammo was always reluctant, and I would agree with him. GH even wanted his character to fight (I couldn’t envisage that)!

• Like 6

Master with OK Fingers

@chen lung I see where you're coming from and maybe I'm just over excited at viewing some new JC fight scenes that I had never seen before, but I could never get enough of the fight scenes.

Years ago I made my own VHS of every JC fight scene/stunts I had. I took me hours as I was transferring VHS to VHS. It ended up being 12hrs+ of pure action!

Edited by Master with OK Fingers
  • Like 8

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
On 4/9/2020 at 8:14 PM, Master with OK Fingers said:

I was thinking about ordering Clan Of The White Lotus and The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter. Jackie Chan is definitely more my thing/style but don't mind some old school stuff. Can anyone advise if they are worth the outlay and if they are similar to anything else?

On 4/10/2020 at 8:20 AM, Killer Meteor said:

@Master with OK Fingers I think 8 DIAGRAM is a dark-toned classic with some of the sweetest pole fighting action ever put on film and one of the best (if not the best) performances by Gordon Liu. It's a brutal story of rising up from tragedy and the exacting of bloody revenge. Quite brutal action here too; people are skewered, teeth are knocked out, and faces are sliced!

CLAN does have lighter moments with comedy, but I wouldn't say "mostly", and the kung fu sequences are excellent. Imaginative, frequent, and with some wince-worthy techniques being applied. Lo Lieh is terrific as Pai Mei's brother, sporting the same iconic look of "The White Eyebrow Priest", and Gordon Liu is captivating as usual. It's very much a "learn a new style to defeat the deadly evil master" tale, familiar, but very entertaining.

These are definitely a different flavor from Jackie Chan's films, but I think you should give them a shot. I've seen both of these over and over and never tire of them.

On 4/11/2020 at 1:03 PM, chen lung said:

In my opinion, they detracted from the story, which was intended to be a fairly serious drama. Golden Harvest were supposedly desperate to have more fights, but Sammo was always reluctant, and I would agree with him. GH even wanted his character to fight (I couldn’t envisage that)!

Good point @chen lung. When I first saw the film it didn't include those extra scenes and I enjoyed it a lot. In some ways I feel it made the climactic battle even more powerful because the whole movie built towards it almost purely through story, drama, emotion, and the character's stories. So once the shit finally hits the fan it seemed that much more gripping... visceral. Though a much different film, in this regard it's sort of along the lines of TAXI DRIVER, which seethes with the threat of impending violence throughout, but leaves most of that (not all) for the final reel.

However, having seen it many times, I am very happy that there is also a version of HEART to watch that these scenes are included in. And that is the one I'll probably watch in the future. I love releases like this that give us the option to see the various versions. That's the optimal way to go with releasing films to home video. Spielberg gets it, which is why we got a release of CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND with all it's incarnations. If only he could've talked some sense into his old friend George Lucas so we could see the STAR WARS films as they originally were before he changed them.

@chen lung I agree that having Sammo's character fight would've been ridiculous!

On 4/11/2020 at 1:45 PM, Master with OK Fingers said:

@chen lung I see where you're coming from and maybe I'm just over excited at viewing some new JC fight scenes that I had never seen before, but I could never get enough of the fight scenes.

Years ago I made my own VHS of every JC fight scene/stunts I had. I took me hours as I was transferring VHS to VHS. It ended up being 12hrs+ of pure action!

That must've been amazing!

I made a similar project on VHS that only featured nunchaku scenes from films. It had everything I'd ever seen featuring the weapon, ranging from ENTER THE DRAGON to DRAGNET on there! :tongue:

• Like 8

Master with OK Fingers

@KUNG FU BOB Thanks for the extra info, I ordered 8 Diagram the other day, I just hope they still have your cover to go with it👍. They never seem to respond to my tweets or messages so couldn't find out directly from them.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Good point @chen lung. When I first saw the film it didn't include those extra scenes and I enjoyed it a lot. In some ways I feel it made the climactic battle even more powerful because the whole movie built towards it almost purely through story, drama, emotion, and the character's stories. So once the shit finally hits the fan it seemed that much more gripping... visceral. Though a much different film, in this regard it's sort of along the lines of TAXI DRIVER, which seethes with the threat of impending violence throughout, but leaves most of that (not all) for the final reel.

However, having seen it many times, I am very happy that there is also a version of HEART to watch that these scenes are included in. And that is the one I'll probably watch in the future. I love releases like this that give us the option to see the various versions. That's the optimal way to go with releasing films to home video. Spielberg gets it, which is why we got a release of CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND with all it's incarnations. If only he could've talked some sense into his old friend George Lucas so we could see the STAR WARS films as they originally were before he changed them.

I agree with that analysis, @KUNG FU BOB, and about making multiple official versions available to the end user. My thoughts were applying mostly to unofficial material, particularly when compression could be an issue.

• Like 5

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
2 hours ago, Master with OK Fingers said:

@KUNG FU BOB Thanks for the extra info, I ordered 8 Diagram the other day, I just hope they still have your cover to go with it👍. They never seem to respond to my tweets or messages so couldn't find out directly from them.

You're welcome.

Glad to hear it. I hope you enjoy it as much as me. Just a little heads up: The film is based on a very famous story (I believe it may be based on actual historic figure, but I'm not 100% sure) and the first scene (don't worry- no spoilers) is shot on a sparsely decorated sound-stage set. It feels operatic, a bit as if you are watching an elaborate, action-filled stage play. After this it spends some time setting up the story before it gets into action again. I've loaned it to people in the past (especially back in the days of VHS) that weren't sure about it, and almost turned it off in the beginning, but after sticking with it wound up loving it.

1 hour ago, chen lung said:

I agree with that analysis, @KUNG FU BOB, and about making multiple official versions available to the end user. My thoughts were applying mostly to unofficial material, particularly when compression could be an issue.

It is a shame that some people are disappointed the English dub wasn't included on some of the longer hybrid cuts of the films, and I understand them wanting it. But I've read your detailed explanations about why that's not always feasible (at the bluray.com forum I believe), and it makes perfect sense. I sometimes enjoy the dubs for the JC films (particularly the Rank Video English dub for DRUNKEN MASTER), but not enough that I'd want the picture quality to suffer for their inclusion.

• Like 6