The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

41 minutes ago, ironfistedmonk said:

Can I order the Project A box set directly from the 88 films website even though I'm in the UK?  It does state US and Canada only on the there

I've bought region A releases on the UK 88 site before. Whether or not they get sent from UK to a UK address or from US to UK is unclear. Anyone can set a region code from any country if so desires. You can always drop them an email@ironfistedmonk 

I won't do it though to prove a point as I don't like the film.

Edited by Yggdrasil
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, saltysam said:

My Project A shipped then arrived next day.They are shipping them from within the UK 

My copy arrived yesterday! Was very surprised considering the release date being on October 15.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ironfistedmonk said:

Can I order the Project A box set directly from the 88 films website even though I'm in the UK?  It does state US and Canada only on the there

Yes, I don't believe it won't be an issue of you getting the Project A Box set getting it delivered to your home.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Graeme Of Death said:

Excuse my ignorance here. I thought 4K discs were all region free? Are they now region locked?

Would have liked the Project A set if it was region free.

4K is region free. Blu ray is not. But the discussion here is really that eureka released and have the rights to the project A movies in the Uk and 88 have them just in the US so 88 is not supposed to sell them in the UK but there’s probably some wiggle room given that they ship and release in the US. 

• Like 2

One important thing: If you buy the Project A set to play the UHDs on a UK player, then that'll work. However, you'd be unable to access the special features which are ONLY on the region-locked Blu Rays.

Hope that makes sense.

Edited by tomgray2404
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Chemical Lemon said:

4K is region free. Blu ray is not. But the discussion here is really that eureka released and have the rights to the project A movies in the Uk and 88 have them just in the US so 88 is not supposed to sell them in the UK but there’s probably some wiggle room given that they ship and release in the US. 

I would assumed they weren't allowed to sell them in the UK but somehow UK fans got to buy even the US edition of In The Line of Duty  movie set.  I'm abit surprised that Eureka hasn't  released their 4K edition of the Project A film  collection as of yet.

Eureka have said no plans to release the Project A movies on 4k, and I believe them as I don't think 88 would be letting UK buyers get their hands on these if they were 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, tomgray2404 said:

One important thing: If you buy the Project A set to play the UHDs on a UK player, then that'll work. However, you'd be unable to access the special features which are ONLY on the region-locked Blu Rays.

Hope that makes sense.

That was my question, too, what is bothering me. Makes sense. But on the other side: maybe the region lock is only for the movie itself? Special features should be regionfree (unless they are on the same disc as the movie)?  Makes me sad...

5 hours ago, AslanBey said:

That was my question, too, what is bothering me. Makes sense. But on the other side: maybe the region lock is only for the movie itself? Special features should be regionfree (unless they are on the same disc as the movie)?  Makes me sad...

Buy a region-free player and start being happy. I’ve been region-free since 2001.

• Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

41 minutes ago, AslanBey said:

Obviously it will happen in the future. But 4k regionfree players are not so cheap. Someone with a recommendation?

There's a thread for region free players @AslanBey, but I don't know where it is.

Maybe me ol' mucker @Yihetuan can help.

6 minutes ago, Yggdrasil said:

There's a thread for region free players @AslanBey, but I don't know where it is.

The defacto answer is the Panasonic UB820. If you can't find that particular model in your country or is more than you're willing to pay for then I suggest the Sony UBP-X800mk2). You can't go wrong with either model.

• Like 7
  • Buddha Bless You 1

• Administrator
4 hours ago, AslanBey said:

Obviously it will happen in the future. But 4k regionfree players are not so cheap. Someone with a recommendation?

3 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

https://www.kungfufandom.com/topic/18325-region-free-blu-ray-players/page/6/#comment-418147

• Like 4

May also be noteworthy that PC DVD / Blu-ray players are also region-free by default. 

Even if it doesn't replace the comfort of a lounge player, I recently got a portable player / recorder for my new PC and I'm very satisfied.

24 minutes ago, Agent U said:

May also be noteworthy that PC DVD / Blu-ray players are also region-free by default. 

Even if it doesn't replace the comfort of a lounge player, I recently got a portable player / recorder for my new PC and I'm very satisfied.

That's what I use : Leawo player for Region A blurays and Powerdvd for region B blurays.

Beardys Feather
1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

That's what I use : Leawo player for Region A blurays and Powerdvd for region B blurays.

I hope you're not watching on a computer screen but using a projector :monk_meditating:

41 minutes ago, Beardys Feather said:

I hope you're not watching on a computer screen but using a projector :monk_meditating:

Or screen mirroring to a lovely mega huge flat screen 4k TV 

KenHashibe

Ordered Project A from Grindhouse Video and received a shipping notification right away. Same price as Diabolik. Cost around $70 with shipping.

Edited by KenHashibe

Drunksnake

Unfortunately the Cantonese Dolby Atmos audio for Project A part 2 cuts out completely half way through the end credits. All other tracks work fine and the atmos is complete on the blu ray. Seeing a few other people discovering this also.20240918_161251.thumb.jpg.43f66029138f7fdf8343bd1a724441ad.jpg

25 minutes ago, Drunksnake said:

Unfortunately the Cantonese Dolby Atmos audio for Project A part 2 cuts out completely half way through the end credits. All other tracks work fine and the atmos is complete on the blu ray. Seeing a few other people discovering this also.

Considering the amount of effort put into the release, and people they have QC it, that seems like a big fuck up.

Edited by bickle14
  • Like 1

Drunksnake
2 hours ago, bickle14 said:

Considering the amount of effort put into the release, and people they have QC it, that seems like a big fuck up.

Other than those last couple of minutes, the release is flawless. The other tracks are great particularly the alt Cantonese mono.

• Like 1