The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

3 hours ago, Drunksnake said:

Wow!20240906_101908.thumb.jpg.893264ee7f3e5ad4cffa69c9ed62e54d.jpg

20240906_101924.thumb.jpg.99caf71fdd886daf413bb3751859bb98.jpg

20240906_101908.thumb.jpg.893264ee7f3e5ad4cffa69c9ed62e54d.jpg

20240906_102009.thumb.jpg.6936c230a17ac4f20ad9ad31ccffe264.jpg

20240906_101959.jpg

I pre-ordered this but thought it was October. Fine, of course :)

• Like 4

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
On 8/30/2024 at 3:51 PM, Drunken Monk said:

@starschwar might have something. One thing interesting about the wooden bench in Dance of the Drunken Mantis is that it has two "rungs" on the site, while the ones from The Young Master, for example, have one.

The ones in Kung Fu Bob's art also have two. It also lies at a very similar angle to the one Rubber Legs is sat on in the picture above.

With that said, perhaps I'm analyzing things too much.

It was fascinating reading the guesses, and I love that you honed in on the bench details @Drunken Monk. Good detective work.

On 8/31/2024 at 3:48 AM, BLfan said:

Wooden stool reminds me of Fong Sai Yuk 2. 

@BLfan you were the first person I saw anywhere who guessed correctly. :bigsmile:

On 8/31/2024 at 7:53 AM, Chemical Lemon said:

This sounds like the strongest candidate so far.  Also meets the double rung argument and fits the current theme of Jet Li releases. I assume they wouldn’t release this without part 1 though 

No, they wouldn't do that to us. :wink:

On 8/31/2024 at 11:23 AM, AslanBey said:

Months ago someone on twitter told me that 88 is going to release or announce FongSaiYuk towards end of 2024. 

So...🤔🤔🤔

Please name this loose-lipped scoundrel so they can be drug out into the light and beaten for their indiscretion.

On 9/4/2024 at 9:11 AM, BLfan said:

Why use the 'legend' wording when it is the Hong Kong version?

I wasn't sure which form of the title they would use, so I sent them versions of both.

Chen Lung posted the following on the bluray.com forum:

"Hong Kong-English title: Fong Sai Yuk
International-English title: The Legend of Fong Sai Yuk
Dimension Films English title: The Legend"

I first saw both films in the theater and then watched them via Hong Kong VHS and then DVDs, so I knew them as FONG SAI-YUK 1 and 2. Years later I saw them released here in the USA as THE LEGEND 1 and 2 (which made me roll my eyes). A few months ago I had a person chat me up after complimenting me on a kung fu T-shirt I was wearing (cue blatant opportunistic advertising: visit the 36 Styles store now to get yours! :tongue: https://www.36styles.com/ ) and when he said his favorite was Jet Li I mentioned FONG SAI YUK. He had no idea what that was. I said "THE LEGEND?" and he immediately lit up "Yes! I love that one! Such a cool movie." So I think that by using the "International-English title" 88 Films are covering all the bases and making a smart business choice. This way there will be worldwide recognition from fans of the films no matter which title they are familiar with. Now if they had released THE BODYGUARD FROM BEIJING with the title THE DEFENDER: THE BODYGUARD FROM BEIJING I'd have been having a nerd meltdown of epic proportions. :xd:

On 9/4/2024 at 10:49 AM, ShawAngela said:

Yeeeesss!

Nooooooooo! It's 4K!!

@ShawAngela I'm fairly certain the 4K set will include Blu-rays, but I'm awaiting confirmation.

@Drunksnake or @tomgray2404 could you please confirm for us if the 4K sets also include Blu-ray versions of the films? Or are the third and fourth discs special features only? Thank you.

On 9/4/2024 at 12:46 PM, Niklaus Vogel said:

I am very disappointed that Frank Djeng is not involved in doing the commentary.  First TAI CHI MASTER, now this. I am so glad Frank did the commentary for both FIST OF LEGEND (Superb) and BODYGUARD FROM BEIJING (excellent, especially all the parts about Hong Kongers' anxiety of the China handover) but why couldn't 88 Films let him do these three as well?  For period films like TCM and FSY 1 and 2 having Frank explain the various cultural elements and especially Josephine Siao's wordplay humor would've been most welcome.

I agree that Frank Djeng's AC for FIST OF LEGEND is excellent (I don't have BODYGUARD yet :cry:), and I too would've been happy if he'd also done ACs for TAI-CHI MASTER and the FONG SAI YUK movies. His explanations of language details are superb, with FORBIDDEN CITY COP and YES, MADAM both being prime examples of helping the listener to appreciate the films and their dialogue on a deeper level. But I don't think it's a case of "why couldn't 88 Films let him" as much as he's extremely busy and only one guy. Frank is doing ACs for 88 Films, Eureka, Arrow, Severin, Chameleon, Criterion, Vinegar Syndrome, and maybe even more. These are time-consuming to do/prepare (some people do research for a month for one film!) and the payment for them typically isn't substantial, so I feel quite lucky we get as many as we do.

On 9/4/2024 at 1:38 PM, ShawAngela said:

I didn't see any, hence my disappointment.

Talking about that, in the 4K vboxset of Project A, it's mentioned that there are two blurays. Are they blurays of the movie? If not, it's so disappointing that the bluray boxset doesn't have the booklet and cards... It's a kind of punishment for people who don't have the luck to have a 4K player...

I feel your pain. Hopefully, that's not the case and we'll know one way or another soon.

On 9/4/2024 at 3:11 PM, lilmanjs said:

The Project A set on their own site says shipping now, but am curious what that exactly means. Like if you got it through them direct, you get it well before October 15th? Or that no matter where you pre-ordered from, it will ship out soon? Wish they'd make it more clear.

88 Films (and a few other boutique labels- Shout Factory for sure) do ship as soon as they get their stock, even sometimes weeks before the street date. :bs_snicker:

On 9/4/2024 at 5:45 PM, AslanBey said:

I'm a big fan of  master KungFuBob. He is also a little reason why I buy 88 releases.

But I find the project a and fongsaiyuk main coverarts kinda boring. Both doesnt reflect (in opposite to all of his other artwork) the action and fun and entertainment etc. of both movies. I find this disappointing because on the shelf one will first see the main coverarts (which is not as inviting as the single coverarts).

But the coverarts for the single movies...... those are delicious master. Nice nice nice. I hope they come with posters. Thank you for your effort. 10/10. Exactly what those movies deserve.

And considering the release itself: Yessssssssssssssss baby. One of my alltime favourites. Thank you very much 88. Keep them coming. Maybe next one "new legend of shaolin" (please)??

@AslanBey I appreciate your feedback and will continue to try to improve so fans of these films will get as good as they expect and deserve. Thank you.

I'm with you- so thrilled that these movies are getting such killer releases. :bigsmile:

Fingers crossed for NEW LEGEND OF SHAOLIN- an insane film!

On 9/4/2024 at 8:27 PM, starschwar said:

That disclaimer.  I can feel the disappointment of whoever typed it.  "We had it.  We had a hybrid cut good to go, but they screwed us on the Taiwan cut at the last minute."  

For sure. The 88 team are hardcore Jackie Chan fans and 100% want to release the ultimate version that we all crave. I promise you they did everything they could to release ISLAND OF FIRE with both the Hong Kong theatrical version (which they did) and also the longer Taiwanese version, but their hands were tied (Thankfully they were at least allowed to include all that extra footage as an extra on their release). You better believe that 88 would include every version of a film, all making of/special features, and every single audio track (English dubs, etc) available for each film if they were legally able to. They never exclude a dub just because they don't care about it. When something is excluded you can bet there's some frowning, tie-wearing pencil-pusher behind the scenes with a big, red, "NO!" stamp in hand. (Bastards!)

I find it very frustrating when bootleg companies do whatever they want to do on a release without proper licensing, and then legit companies' releases are criticized/negatively compared to those for not illegally including copyrighted materials.

On 9/5/2024 at 12:08 AM, Katakuri said:

It’s amazing how once a certain actor’s floodgates open, we get all kinds of releases from all boutique labels. Case in point Jet Lee.

Whose floodgates you want to see open soon? For me I’d love to see Andy Lau’s early career get the boutique label love soon. I know we’ve had a couple already, but he’s done so much in the late 80s and throughout the 90s.

Yes, it is. I'm thrilled about all the recent Jet Li releases.

I'd love to see more of Sammo's filmography get "the treatment" for releases.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

THE FACTS YOU WANTED...

Confirmed to me directly by the 88 Films team:

FONG SAI YUK: As required by the BBFC, one horse fall is ever so slightly cut by a few frames, but you can still see what's happening. Otherwise, this is the full original Hong Kong version.

FONG SAI YUK 2: This is the FULLY UNCUT original Hong Kong version.

PROJECT A: The 4K boxed set DOES include 2 Blu-rays for both films in addition to the 2 4K discs. (I hope this makes you smile @ShawAngela :bigsmile:)

• Like 9
  • Buddha Bless You 2

ShawAngela
10 minutes ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

PROJECT A: The 4K boxed set DOES include 2 Blu-rays for both films in addition to the 2 4K discs. (I hope this makes you smile @ShawAngela :bigsmile:)

OOOOHHHH YEEESSSSS! thanks a lot for the precision! 

• Like 1

Came home from work to find Project A Set waiting for me! lovely rigid slipcase, the two movies are in slim cases.

• Like 3

nahnahnah

Everyone getting their set early while I have to wait since I ordered it with Tai Chi Master. Life is just cruel...

• Sad 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

KenHashibe

Did anyone who ordered from Diabolik get their copy, or a shipping notification?

Yggdrasil
8 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

THE FACTS YOU WANTED...

Confirmed to me directly by the 88 Films team:

FONG SAI YUK: As required by the BBFC, one horse fall is ever so slightly cut by a few frames, but you can still see what's happening. Otherwise, this is the full original Hong Kong version.

FONG SAI YUK 2: This is the FULLY UNCUT original Hong Kong version.

A few frames is better than 5 secs ripped out. I haven't seen the films for donkey's years so I can't remember the scene at all.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Knetan said:

I pre-ordered this but thought it was October. Fine, of course :)

Unless Pirates hold it for ransom?

Rando1975

Just curious for those who got the Project A collection. Was it just the 4K versions that shipped or the regular blu-ray set as well? I ordered from Amazon Canada & it still says October for both sets.

On the plus side, my copy blu-ray of To Kill A Mastermind from 88 Films arrived today!

• Buddha Bless You 1

6 hours ago, Pandaman said:

Unless Pirates hold it for ransom?

I can wait. I have stuff to do. I'm cool that way.

• Like 1

lastninja
10 hours ago, KenHashibe said:

Did anyone who ordered from Diabolik get their copy, or a shipping notification?

I preordered the UHD version from Diabolik and I received no shipping notification so far.

The availability on their site still says "coming soon".

:sad

Drunksnake

Nice inclusion of outtakes and behind the scenes footage in the new Project A set.20240907_001300.thumb.jpg.2a4b32152a4b930a09a5d202ac5b9673.jpg20240907_001359.thumb.jpg.cd7aea51d34204c53a06de5b2d309ef8.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Yggdrasil
13 minutes ago, Drunksnake said:

Nice inclusion of outtakes and behind the scenes footage in the new Project A set.20240907_001300.thumb.jpg.2a4b32152a4b930a09a5d202ac5b9673.jpg20240907_001359.thumb.jpg.cd7aea51d34204c53a06de5b2d309ef8.jpg

Is that greenscreen or a green wall?

Drunksnake
2 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

Is that greenscreen or a green wall?

Lol LED lights on the back of the tv that reflect onto the wall.

• Like 2

starschwar
On 9/6/2024 at 8:49 AM, KUNG FU BOB said:

For sure. The 88 team are hardcore Jackie Chan fans and 100% want to release the ultimate version that we all crave. I promise you they did everything they could to release ISLAND OF FIRE with both the Hong Kong theatrical version (which they did) and also the longer Taiwanese version, but their hands were tied (Thankfully they were at least allowed to include all that extra footage as an extra on their release). You better believe that 88 would include every version of a film, all making of/special features, and every single audio track (English dubs, etc) available for each film if they were legally able to. They never exclude a dub just because they don't care about it. When something is excluded you can bet there's some frowning, tie-wearing pencil-pusher behind the scenes with a big, red, "NO!" stamp in hand. (Bastards!)

I find it very frustrating when bootleg companies do whatever they want to do on a release without proper licensing, and then legit companies' releases are criticized/negatively compared to those for not illegally including copyrighted materials.

Believe me, I wasn't casting any blame towards 88.  88, Eureka, Arrow - they are all clearly passionate about these films, and are doing their best to get the most comprehensive versions they can out there.  It's the middle men and rights owners that get in the way.  I have nothing but respect for these labels - just a few years ago, I'd never have imagined these movies getting this kind of treatment on the regular.  HKL were pretty great back in the day, but they stumbled at times so these three could soar.  

I'm still skipping the IOF Blu-Ray.  It just isn't enough of an upgrade over my old DVD for me.  But I wouldn't be surprised to see an improved double dip down the line.  Heck if To Kill With Intrigue was deemed to be financially viable for a second Blu-Ray release, there's no way Island won't get a redo if those rights issues clear up.  Maybe as a two pack with Fantasy Mission Force to soften the blow for anyone who got version 1? 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Drunksnake said:

What does the making of Project A bonus content consist of? Any chance it's one of the old Japanese TV shows? Also, how long does it run? Thanks for any response in advance :)

• Like 1

Drunksnake
1 hour ago, Bruce said:

What does the making of Project A bonus content consist of? Any chance it's one of the old Japanese TV shows? Also, how long does it run? Thanks for any response in advance :)

It's not the Japanese tv shows but there is some footage from it but no audio other than music playing, I guess that was part of the clause. The making of is almost twelve minutes of behind the scenes footage.

The outtakes section is twenty four minutes of behind the scenes footage, outtakes, retakes and Jackie with his Japanese fans on rhe set of the Hoover club. Interesting stuff.

Would've loved those Japanese shows to be included, particularly the section with Jackie performing a jump spinning kick and Yuen Biao hiding in a barrel in the pirates lair.

It's a fantastic release and my second favourite collection after the Bruce Lee set from Arrow. The 4K picture is stunning and the Cantonese dolby atmos is brilliant. The Taiwanese cut will be my go to from now on.

• Like 6

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
16 hours ago, starschwar said:

Believe me, I wasn't casting any blame towards 88. 

Oh, I know. It didn't take it the wrong way. Going by what you said it was clear that you understood. I quoted you to piggyback on your sentiments and explain to those who don't get it. I've seen lots of complaints by others aimed directly at 88 over this, with "Doesn't this company know what the fans want?" type of comments.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, Drunksnake said:

It's not the Japanese tv shows but there is some footage from it but no audio other than music playing, I guess that was part of the clause. The making of is almost twelve minutes of behind the scenes footage.

The outtakes section is twenty four minutes of behind the scenes footage, outtakes, retakes and Jackie with his Japanese fans on rhe set of the Hoover club. Interesting stuff.

Would've loved those Japanese shows to be included, particularly the section with Jackie performing a jump spinning kick and Yuen Biao hiding in a barrel in the pirates lair.

It's a fantastic release and my second favourite collection after the Bruce Lee set from Arrow. The 4K picture is stunning and the Cantonese dolby atmos is brilliant. The Taiwanese cut will be my go to from now on.

Thanks very much for the detailed info, I'm really looking forward to this Project A set. I, too, wish they could've gotten one of those old Japanese shows (wasn't one included in it's entirety on a Heart Of The Dragon blu-ray?), but at least they're on Youtube. Anyway, it's going to be cool to see a longer version of Project A than I've ever seen before & in 4k quality!

• Like 4

tomgray2404
9 hours ago, Drunksnake said:

FB_IMG_1725933075238.jpg.b732ee2b180cc0905015f662e3898a4f.jpg

GREAT FILM, but I see no reason to upgrade. More money is being spent on restoration than these movies cost to make.

• Like 4