The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

PandaPawPaw
3 hours ago, Knetan said:

You will at least get the scenes as supplements and it's likely not very difficult to look up the film online in case you can't find the Taiwanese dvd or German blu/dvd set.

For me who is not familiar with the original cut of the film, this link was handy - https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=935.

• Like 1

Niklaus Vogel
Posted (edited)
On 7/15/2024 at 5:10 PM, Pandaman said:

I'm alittle shocked Frank is able to do these commentaries.  I wish Mike Leeder could'ev done the audio commentary Fist of Legend, I listen to a podcast he was in where he talked about himself visiting the set of Fist of Legend during the Jet Li vs Yasuaki Kurata watching them work on set.  I understand why Mike isn't involved with 88 anymore along with  Arne who know either do stuff with Eureka or Kino these days, but still there times i wished they were involved like Double Impact  since Mike and Arne discussed Double Impact during their Stone Cold audio commentary for Kino.

I take it that they just seem to find anyone to give out good commentaries. Frank does a great job but there is so much he can do since he's in more high demand these days.

Frank's Fist of Legend commentary was excellent though. He talked virtually nonstop and it's filled with tons of info and insight.  I am not getting the feeling that he's sacrificing quality due to the high demands.

Edited by Niklaus Vogel
  • Like 2

PandaPawPaw

I was hoping the 88F release of IOF would have a hybrid canto/mandarin track. Ah well I found the original cut so I'll give it a watch.

• Like 2

Pandaman
15 hours ago, Niklaus Vogel said:

Frank's Fist of Legend commentary was excellent though. He talked virtually nonstop and it's filled with tons of info and insight.  I am not getting the feeling that he's sacrificing quality due to the high demands.

Never a dull moment with Frank Djeng when he works on audio commentary...

• Like 3

ShawAngela
29 minutes ago, Drunksnake said:

More Shaw.FB_IMG_1721251849164.jpg.e0316a2d79f5ea6c5e00bdeead1cff14.jpgFB_IMG_1721251846768.jpg.15b6c88984a6d8040899540dc21cd274.jpgFB_IMG_1721251851482.jpg.868627c2b2cec40bd8ed0e23180cdfd8.jpg

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!

• Like 5

Chemical Lemon

Kid from kwangtung was not high on my wants list. 

facets of love I watched on dvd or vcd back in the day and don’t remember much about it. Im not a huge fan of li Han-hsiang’s sex comedies other than a normal appreciation for some T&A.  So I honestly struggle to remember which are good and which are not. But I am glad that 88 are dipping into some of the less released genres.  And I’m happy that they’re going with a period erotic movie. I’m hoping we get some of the stuff that borders erotic but doesn’t fully commit like The Warlord. Hopefully 88 has some cool secrets up their sleeve. 

But the kung fu instructor is one I’m happy about. Love this movie. 

• Like 8

Niklaus Vogel

KUNG FU INSTRUCTOR was also the first Shaw Brothers film to use a Steadicam!

• Like 7

ChillyChong
Posted (edited)

Kung Fu Instructor and Kid From Kwantung are good. Kid is after 5 superfighters probably best Shaw KF comedy thanks to incredible skill of  Hwang Jang Lee.  But those are not movies I want to spend 20€ apiece for upgrading IVL, at least immediately.

Will get Facets of Love, looked directors filmography have only seen Tiger&The Widow and Tiger Killer. Both are good even if slow boilers. Not sure about Ghost Story did ever see it. Quite certain I have actually never seen Shaw comedy except kung fu ones.

Edited by ChillyChong
  • Like 1

lastninja

Got "An Autumn's Tale" and "Immortal Story" today.

To be honest, I don't like the packaging design at all, not to mention the BBFC sticker on the plastic slipcase.

Since the design on the partially transparent plastic slipcase matches the artwork on the Blu-ray cover, the reversible cover with the Hong Kong cinema poster is not usable.

Hopefully this was a one-off and future releases will come in the really well designed cardboard slipcase again.

:sad

• Like 1

Chemical Lemon

These all look KFB to me. If so, you must be a very busy person. And it must be killing you to keep these all secret.

• Like 1

Yihetuan
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

This art for Kung Fu Instructor is great! Is it yours, @KUNG FU BOB?

31 minutes ago, Chemical Lemon said:

These all look KFB to me. If so, you must be a very busy person. And it must be killing you to keep these all secret.

It looks more like Sean Longmore's artwork than KFB...well at least to me. facets of Love looks like Sam Greene too.

Edited by Yihetuan

Chemical Lemon
2 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

It looks more like Sean Longmore's artwork than KFB...well at least to me.

I’m a man of few skills so I would not put it past me to be 1000% wrong here

Chemical Lemon
1 hour ago, Chemical Lemon said:

I’m a man of few skills so I would not put it past me to be 1000% wrong here

I also found the signatures on 2 of them now so yeah as you predicted I don’t know what I’m talking about. 

Yihetuan
44 minutes ago, Chemical Lemon said:

I also found the signatures on 2 of them now so yeah as you predicted I don’t know what I’m talking about. 

You have better eyes than me. Even zooming the pic, I couldn't see the signatures clearly. Anyone else a bit surprised how "racy" that cover of Facets of Love is considered it's showing a bare breast? I'm not a prude but hope the slipcover isn't that graphic.

Chemical Lemon
17 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

You have better eyes than me. Even zooming the pic, I couldn't see the signatures clearly. Anyone else a bit surprised how "racy" that cover of Facets of Love is considered it's showing a bare breast? I'm not a prude but hope the slipcover isn't that graphic.

I was in a restaurant getting lunch when I was zooming in on the pics looking for signatures and I got a little paranoid when I started the facets pic. I cut it short, didn’t help I was sitting next to my wife waiting for her to notice and ask what the fuck I was looking at. 

• Haha 6

thelastweaponmaster

With 88 increasing substantially their threshold for free international shipping (to 125 pounds), would anyone know if such a large order be hit with duty/customs when it enter/imported to the States as opposed to a smaller order?

Super Ninja

Getting Kid and Instructor, KFI is one of my fave. Sweet announcements!

• Like 2

bickle14
7 hours ago, thelastweaponmaster said:

With 88 increasing substantially their threshold for free international shipping (to 125 pounds), would anyone know if such a large order be hit with duty/customs when it enter/imported to the States as opposed to a smaller order?

I've never experienced any sort of tax when imported things.

This new free shipping threshold sucks. I was all set to place my order for Bodyguard and Prison... but nope. I almost wonder if we should get a group buys organized.

Yggdrasil
16 hours ago, thelastweaponmaster said:

I usually order my stuff on Amazon US to England which usually gives me free p&p, (probably because I'm a PRIME member) For numerous orders of things, I order them a few days apart.

Works for me.