The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

WaverBoy
On 6/27/2024 at 11:10 PM, Knetan said:

I get oddly passionate about matters like this, and this film so pardon the long extract from my research archive. But the long and short of it is this. The four versions are the original film Cub Tiger From Kwangtung, the Asian version of Cracked Fingers with the nighttime end fight, the English version of Cracked Fingers but with daytime end fight, and Master With Cracked Fingers/Snake Fist Fighter that cuts a big chunk out of the Dean Shek scene and has its own, unique English dub. The longer version:

Over the years not only has a rough print of the original Cub Tiger From Kwangtung emerged but also the fact that the film has four versions essentially. Original, Asian version of the 1979 recut, English version of the recut and the version in the US Dick Randall bought, produced a new English dub track for as Master With Cracked Fingers. When he sold his rights to 21st Century Distribution, it was given a small theatrical release in 1981, as Snake Fist Fighter. Getting a sweet trailer in the process containing aural “testimonials” from the audience commenting on having seen Jackie in Battle Creek Brawl (aka The Big Brawl, released the year before) so the voice of a woman says: I think Jackie Chan’s the sexist. I can’t wait to see him tear off his shirt in the Snake Fist Fighter. Another voice comes in and says Jackie Chan is a mean mother*BLEEP*. Mostly this promo it had stills from the film, footage from Drunken Master, some from the daytime blindfold fight. The latter short version has been seen the most internationally but let’s break down the basic differences between the two, that makes sense to do in audio form. The Asian version of the 1979 edit and its English version play out the same until we get to the final fight. The Asian version essentially splits its conclusion between a daytime one and a nighttime one. We see Kwan Yung-Moon our baddie oversee men fighting (intercut with flashes of the harbor fight from the original) which he then interrupts by beating up some of the men. Then cut to our Jackie Chan double training at night using a blindfold. First he’s approached by two henchmen with weapons, he fights them while Kwan Yung-Moon observes. There is some dialogue exchange about fighting without the blindfold but it stays on because of Jackie Chan double business. The two fight and rather curiously the conclusion hinges on Kwan Yung-Moon slipping on a stone and “Jackie” taking advantage. At points in the scene there are further flashback snippets from the harbor fight in Cub Tiger From Kwangtung so we get a sense of Jackie Chan being “present.” This ending is also accompanied by Goblin’s score for Dawn Of The Dead. The scene also reveals the blindfold is kind of see-through. That’s the Asian version of the 1979 recut.

The English version of Master With Cracked Fingers gets another end fight entirely. It features Kwan Yung-Moon, Chiang Kam from Snake In The Eagle’s Shadow and Simon Yuen. The latter sits on a bench outside of the arena to comment intermittently. and Jackie’s double takes on Chiang Kam in a fight leaning more towards comedy where the latter demonstrates a few different styles like Pig’s Foot Style, Fish Style. Dean Shek also turn up briefly (in reaction shots at first used earlier in the harbor fight) and eventually Kwan Yung-Moon and the Jackie Chan double both put on a blindfold and the aim to avenge his father’s murderer is put in motion. It’s both a hand to hand and weapons fight, involving poles and swords and as soon as the villain is out the film is over. 

Snake Fist Fighter the US edit is the shortest of the bunch, features a new English dub, it has the daytime fight scene and focuses its editorial choices on removing comedy. Dean Shek and Simon Yuen trying to generate laughter bantering and gambling is trimmed significantly, about 4-5 minutes. 

There’s a 4 minute deleted scene in German with Jackie as a kid dealing with and fighting opponents comedically and this them transfers to the flips Jackie does in the opening credits from Cub Tiger intercut with new footage with Simon Yuen. The German deleted scene could even be from another movie as it’s not the kid version from the earlier training scenes but one that’s a few years older.

Personally, all I really want is the original unaltered 1973 release of CUB TIGER FROM KWANGTUNG, reconstructed in the best quality possible from surviving elements. I hate the recut versions, but I won’t complain if they’re included. But we gotta have CUB TIGER. I love it. Sadly underrated film, and a very worthy starring debut for Jackie.

• Like 5

starschwar
6 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

Personally, all I really want is the original unaltered 1973 release of CUB TIGER FROM KWANGTUNG, reconstructed in the best quality possible from surviving elements. I hate the recut versions, but I won’t complain if they’re included. But we gotta have CUB TIGER. I love it. Sadly underrated film, and a very worthy starring debut for Jackie.

Cub Tiger should be the priority.  It's one I've always wanted to see (in its original format).   But good gracious - the version that exists out there is an eyesore.  There are silent films from the 1920s that have clearer transfers (and with only mild hyperbole - better color!).

• Like 2

Knetan

I can deal with what's out there for Cub Tiger. It was a discovery when it first started making the rounds. But yes, it's a tester for even the most desensitized, tolerant Hong Kong film fan (in terms of what quality we're willing to sit through).

• Like 2

Knetan
1 hour ago, Knetan said:

I can deal with what's out there for Cub Tiger. It was a discovery when it first started making the rounds. But yes, it's a tester for even the most desensitized, tolerant Hong Kong film fan (in terms of what quality we're willing to sit through).

Thank f*cking god it was widescreen at least :laugh

• Like 1

Master with OK Fingers
Posted (edited)
On 7/2/2024 at 11:31 PM, Irongod2112 said:

Yes the Export Cut with the Classic English dub will be in HD & 4K UHD were putting the final touches on it now. :)

Thanks for the info, that is excellent news. I pre-ordered this back in December and I cannot wait.

On 7/2/2024 at 11:38 PM, Irongod2112 said:

Unfortunately these will not have the English dubs 88 Films begged the rights holders to allow them to be included but they would not budge.

That being said those who prefer the original audio are going to be blown away with both Bodyguard & Tai Chi Master they look and sound amazing and finally have a real subtitle translation. :)

I hope everyone supports these releases and perhaps we will see more Jet Li coming up. ;)

That is a shame about the dubs. Both have already been pre-ordered and I'm sure that they will be great additions to my collection.

Edited by Master with OK Fingers
  • Like 2

tomgray2404

Sorry if I missed it, Island of Fire pushed back until Aug. 26 now!

Drunken Monk

I saw an announcement yesterday (I think it was COF) that the Project A 4K set has been puished back to October. As long as it's not September, I'm good!

Pandaman
On 7/2/2024 at 8:38 AM, Irongod2112 said:

Unfortunately these will not have the English dubs 88 Films begged the rights holders to allow them to be included but they would not budge.

That being said those who prefer the original audio are going to be blown away with both Bodyguard & Tai Chi Master they look and sound amazing and finally have a real subtitle translation. :)

I hope everyone supports these releases and perhaps we will see more Jet Li coming up. ;)

I  hope Fong Sai Yuk 1 & 2 fully uncut?? 🙏🙏🙏

I prefer the Cantonese tracks than the English dubs, they annoy me.

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Killer Meteor
21 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

I'm rather partial to the Dick Randall version

• Like 1

Knetan
9 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

I'm rather partial to the Dick Randall version

Well, it has 4-5 minutes less Dean Shek. Sequence still feels like it goes on for 30 years.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
On 7/1/2024 at 2:03 AM, Drunksnake said:

Revisited Heart Of Dragon today, so thought I'd post a reminder of how awesome this release was.20240701_041814.thumb.jpg.ee4f75365f93e8e3a30579c4372cc4d3.jpg

Agreed, this is a top-notch release.

On 7/2/2024 at 9:27 AM, Irongod2112 said:

Hey everyone, so sorry for my absence.

Things have been extremely busy and I'm still suffering from Long Covid (over 3 years now) so I have good and bad days/weeks still. 

But be rest assured I'm still working behind the scenes on getting more classic HK cinema restored! 

Lots of cool things to come from 88 Films and the other labels as well. :)

I'll do my best to pop in this forum more often to answer questions. 

Great to see you here. I had no idea you were suffering from Long Covid. Sorry to hear that, brother. Getting it (several times despite being extremely cautious) truly sucked, and affected other pre-existing problems I have making it nightmarish. But fortunately, I didn't get the long-lasting side effects. I hope you regain your full health soon.

It's good to know you're still rocking things behind the scenes. :bigsmile:

On 7/2/2024 at 9:38 AM, Irongod2112 said:

They always fight hard for everything to be included. It's a shame the rights holders were so stubborn. I feel bad for the fans who will miss the English dubs. I'm thrilled about these having the original audio and correct, and no doubt complete, subtitles. It's been years of re-buying these hoping for something that properly represents the original films, but I always wind up watching my ancient Hong Kong DVDs. The TAI-CHI MASTER and BODYGUARD FROM BEIJING releases are "must-haves" for me.

On 7/3/2024 at 4:54 PM, Pandaman said:

I  hope Fong Sai Yuk 1 & 2 fully uncut?? 🙏🙏🙏

I prefer the Cantonese tracks than the English dubs, they annoy me.

Are they releasing the FONG SAI-YUK movies? Where did you hear/read this? If so, that would be very exciting! :nerd:

I received my HOLY VIRGIN VS THE EVIL DEAD Blu-ray recently and it's easily in my top 3 for coolest ever packaging utilizing my art. The slipcover is gorgeous, with a shiny finish and an almost glowing, metallic-seeming spot finish to certain elements like the sword's electrical arcs and the Moon Monster's eyes. You can't glean in photos how hot it looks in person, but their special treatment has elevated what I drew to another level. My family flipped when they saw it. Yes, another fantastic job by the 88 Film team. Also, I haven't had a chance to look at the disc yet, but I did read Paul Bramhall's fantastic booklet article. If you dig it, check out his many reviews and articles over at cityonfire.com: https://cityonfire.com/author/paul-bramhall/

Speaking of killer packaging (if that's your jam), wait until you see the MAGNIFICENT BODYGUARDS cover. 88 made a dream of mine come true when they told me we'd be doing this artwork for a lenticular cover. For those unfamiliar with the term, it's a process that can make 2D layered images appear to be 3D. I grew up with some cherished items that included lenticular art including a book that collected nursery rhymes, the first pressing of the Rolling Stones album Their Satanic Majesties Request (which came out the year before I was born, and a few years later was often pulled from my parent's LP collection to stare at for hours while listening to the album over and over on headphones. I still have it), and the 1995 CD reissue of Iron Butterfly's 1968 psychedelic rock album In-A-Gadda-Da-Vidda. I've always been fascinated with the process and even years ago tried to convince another company to use my art as a lenticular image which would've been perfect, but it was nixed for budgetary reasons. Anyway, if you want a glimpse of how it'll look you can see it now on the Amazon listing if you scroll down the page a bit. The movie was originally released in 3D theatrically so this Blu-ray will include the film presented in Real 3D (for those who own 3D sets), an anaglyph 3D version (the red & blue glasses type), and a normal 2D version too (plus lots of other bells and whistles).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Magnificent-Bodyguards-Limited-Lenticular-Blu-ray/dp/B0D6NLRSTT/ref=sr_1_1?crid=RVF3MTWHS8RD&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.kXTQWn31sORgvC_8hreE4g.SxaetQEjuWa_LD8T8AabOwdI645XM0tcWiNj7VOtiHE&dib_tag=se&keywords=magnificent+bodyguards+blu+ray&qid=1720570448&sprefix=MAGNIFICENT+BODYGUARDS%2Caps%2C584&sr=8-1

I'm so excited to have this one in hand that the wait for it feels like forever. :itwasntme

• Like 9
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Yihetuan
On 7/3/2024 at 11:03 AM, Drunken Monk said:

I saw an announcement yesterday (I think it was COF) that the Project A 4K set has been puished back to October. As long as it's not September, I'm good!

I got tired of waiting and took the offer from Mike of store credit + $5 on top of that. At least he's willing to give you options if you're tired of waiting for it.

One Armed Boxer
1 hour ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Also, I haven't had a chance to look at the disc yet, but I did read Paul Bramhall's fantastic booklet article. If you dig it, check out his many reviews and articles over at cityonfire.com: https://cityonfire.com/author/paul-bramhall/

Thanks for the shout out Sir Bob, when I post on here sometimes I forget I actually have a real name. :tongueout

• Haha 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
19 minutes ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Thanks for the shout out Sir Bob, when I post on here sometimes I forget I actually have a real name. :tongueout

Wait... who are you again? :thinking :tongue:

I meant to tag you with your forum name for those who don't realize who you are but I forgot. Lots going on and I'm writing to distract myself. It must've worked too well I gue... Squirrel! Um... what was I saying? Anyway, those weren't empty words just to be nice because we're friends- seriously, great stuff.

As far as future Sonny Chiba releases go, I'm hoping an extras-laden Deluxe Edition of THE KILLING MACHINE (aka. SHORINJI KEMPO) will be next.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Pandaman
On 7/9/2024 at 7:47 PM, KUNG FU BOB said:

Agreed, this is a top-notch release.

Great to see you here. I had no idea you were suffering from Long Covid. Sorry to hear that, brother. Getting it (several times despite being extremely cautious) truly sucked, and affected other pre-existing problems I have making it nightmarish. But fortunately, I didn't get the long-lasting side effects. I hope you regain your full health soon.

It's good to know you're still rocking things behind the scenes. :bigsmile:

They always fight hard for everything to be included. It's a shame the rights holders were so stubborn. I feel bad for the fans who will miss the English dubs. I'm thrilled about these having the original audio and correct, and no doubt complete, subtitles. It's been years of re-buying these hoping for something that properly represents the original films, but I always wind up watching my ancient Hong Kong DVDs. The TAI-CHI MASTER and BODYGUARD FROM BEIJING releases are "must-haves" for me.

Are they releasing the FONG SAI-YUK movies? Where did you hear/read this? If so, that would be very exciting! :nerd:

I received my HOLY VIRGIN VS THE EVIL DEAD Blu-ray recently and it's easily in my top 3 for coolest ever packaging utilizing my art. The slipcover is gorgeous, with a shiny finish and an almost glowing, metallic-seeming spot finish to certain elements like the sword's electrical arcs and the Moon Monster's eyes. You can't glean in photos how hot it looks in person, but their special treatment has elevated what I drew to another level. My family flipped when they saw it. Yes, another fantastic job by the 88 Film team. Also, I haven't had a chance to look at the disc yet, but I did read Paul Bramhall's fantastic booklet article. If you dig it, check out his many reviews and articles over at cityonfire.com: https://cityonfire.com/author/paul-bramhall/

Speaking of killer packaging (if that's your jam), wait until you see the MAGNIFICENT BODYGUARDS cover. 88 made a dream of mine come true when they told me we'd be doing this artwork for a lenticular cover. For those unfamiliar with the term, it's a process that can make 2D layered images appear to be 3D. I grew up with some cherished items that included lenticular art including a book that collected nursery rhymes, the first pressing of the Rolling Stones album Their Satanic Majesties Request (which came out the year before I was born, and a few years later was often pulled from my parent's LP collection to stare at for hours while listening to the album over and over on headphones. I still have it), and the 1995 CD reissue of Iron Butterfly's 1968 psychedelic rock album In-A-Gadda-Da-Vidda. I've always been fascinated with the process and even years ago tried to convince another company to use my art as a lenticular image which would've been perfect, but it was nixed for budgetary reasons. Anyway, if you want a glimpse of how it'll look you can see it now on the Amazon listing if you scroll down the page a bit. The movie was originally released in 3D theatrically so this Blu-ray will include the film presented in Real 3D (for those who own 3D sets), an anaglyph 3D version (the red & blue glasses type), and a normal 2D version too (plus lots of other bells and whistles).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Magnificent-Bodyguards-Limited-Lenticular-Blu-ray/dp/B0D6NLRSTT/ref=sr_1_1?crid=RVF3MTWHS8RD&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.kXTQWn31sORgvC_8hreE4g.SxaetQEjuWa_LD8T8AabOwdI645XM0tcWiNj7VOtiHE&dib_tag=se&keywords=magnificent+bodyguards+blu+ray&qid=1720570448&sprefix=MAGNIFICENT+BODYGUARDS%2Caps%2C584&sr=8-1

I'm so excited to have this one in hand that the wait for it feels like forever. :itwasntme

I know nothing, I swear. It's just wishful thinking on my part that i hope 88 get's the rights to release Fong Sai Yuk 1 and 2 uncut, hopefully sometime in the future 🙏🙏🙏

I'm happy they were to release three of Jet Li's classic films.  I hope they are able to release more in the future... I don't mind some english dubbing but most of the time i do prefer  the original language most of the time.  Each  has their own.

• Like 3

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
19 hours ago, Pandaman said:

I know nothing, I swear. It's just wishful thinking on my part that i hope 88 get's the rights to release Fong Sai Yuk 1 and 2 uncut, hopefully sometime in the future 🙏🙏🙏

I'm happy they were to release three of Jet Li's classic films.  I hope they are able to release more in the future... I don't mind some english dubbing but most of the time i do prefer  the original language most of the time.  Each  has their own.

Oh. Okay, I thought I missed something. :wink: But that would be great. I dig the FONG SAI-YUK movies.

• Like 1

bickle14
20 minutes ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Oh. Okay, I thought I missed something. :wink: But that would be great. I dig the FONG SAI-YUK movies.

It's definitely been hinted at by insiders that they are coming.

• Like 2

Katakuri

I’m surprised no one has commented on 88 announcing a 4K Hong Kong boxset, they also confirmed that it’s not Jackie Chan related.

• Like 2

AlexanderFu

No poster or commentary for To Kill a Mastermind??

Have to say, that sucks. I hope this '4 card' thing isn't signs of the future. Would have loved that poster.

AslanBey
22 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

I have no idea who it was or how reliable the person was but someone told me on twitter that 88 will announce FongSaiYuk towards the end of the year. I hope he wasnt joking...

Pandaman
1 hour ago, AslanBey said:

I have no idea who it was or how reliable the person was but someone told me on twitter that 88 will announce FongSaiYuk towards the end of the year. I hope he wasnt joking...

Maybe he wasn't???

image.gif.2ffa5f0b730cbfb1a3f1ac4df6589911.gif

AslanBey
58 minutes ago, Pandaman said:

Maybe he wasn't???

image.gif.2ffa5f0b730cbfb1a3f1ac4df6589911.gif

Whats the source for this wink? 🥸

Pandaman
1 hour ago, AslanBey said:

Whats the source for this wink? 🥸

orry.

image.gif.7277f928cfe61c5d7bef0e6b62a4d5f6.gif

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Katakuri said:

I’m surprised no one has commented on 88 announcing a 4K Hong Kong boxset, they also confirmed that it’s not Jackie Chan related.

The Once Upon a Time in China trilogy?