The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

Drunksnake
3 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

How do people get these early releases? It's at least a week away from release date.

I always order direct from 88 and Eureka and most of the time they ship early.

• Like 3

lilmanjs
3 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

How do people get these early releases? It's at least a week away from release date.

Some companies such as Shout! and Criterion are known for sending pre-orders out early. I know I got a Shaw Classics set nearly 2 weeks early from Shout!

• Like 1

Yggdrasil
4 hours ago, Drunksnake said:

I always order direct from 88 and Eureka and most of the time they ship early.

Can't remember where I ordered mine from. I just know I had an email update to say the release date had changed at it will arrive when I'm out of the country.

• Sad 1

Master with OK Fingers
Finally got my copy of Fist of Legend and I have to say that I am very surprised/disappointed that there is no English language option on it. I know that we are living in a golden age compared to the VHS/DVD days, but with options available it seems like a bad oversight for me not to include one. I know subs are probably to go to for most people, but I have been watching these since the 80's aged 4 with the dub, and it's very hard to get the same enjoyment out of a film when it just doesn't sound the same as you're used to. Anything later than maybe 98, I'm subs all the way, but I still believe that there should always be an English (original) language option when available. This release will go down as let down for me. I don't like being critical as 88, Eureka, Arrow & VS have done some amazing work, with some incredible contributions from the fans. I am only really mentioning it at all in the hope that any future releases of any film, from any of the companies will include an original English option.

Thanks again to 88, Eureka, Arrow , VS & contributors.
  • Like 2

Master with OK Fingers
Posted (edited)

Following on from the above.

The new 4k release of Project A. Has any details been released for this? I am really hoping for Project A Part2, to have the shorter international have the Original Eng dub in HD. It was only included as a SD extra in the Eureka set.

Edited by Master with OK Fingers

Niklaus Vogel
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Master with OK Fingers said:
Finally got my copy of Fist of Legend and I have to say that I am very surprised/disappointed that there is no English language option on it. I know that we are living in a golden age compared to the VHS/DVD days, but with options available it seems like a bad oversight for me not to include one. I know subs are probably to go to for most people, but I have been watching these since the 80's aged 4 with the dub, and it's very hard to get the same enjoyment out of a film when it just doesn't sound the same as you're used to. Anything later than maybe 98, I'm subs all the way, but I still believe that there should always be an English (original) language option when available. This release will go down as let down for me. I don't like being critical as 88, Eureka, Arrow & VS have done some amazing work, with some incredible contributions from the fans. I am only really mentioning it at all in the hope that any future releases of any film, from any of the companies will include an original English option.

Not 88's fault.  It's been hinted at on other forums that Miramax, who has the rights to the film's English dubbed track, either wouldn't let 88 use the track, or that they asked 88 for an obscene amount of money to use it.

Edited by Niklaus Vogel
  • Like 3

Master with OK Fingers
5 minutes ago, Niklaus Vogel said:

Not 88's fault.  It's been hinted at on other forums that Miramax, who has the rights to the film's English dubbed track, either wouldn't let 88 use the track, or that they asked 88 for an obscene amount of money to use it.

Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
5 hours ago, Master with OK Fingers said:

It's not a oversight, the dub was not avaliable from the rights holder.

• Like 3

Killer Meteor

As 88 has a deal with Golden Sun, I wonder if they could do a release of MASTER WITH CRACKED FINGERS?

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG9dgF1MipQ"]Master With Cracked Finger 《åˆæ‰‹æ€ªæ‹›ã€‹ (1973) Trailer - YouTube[/url]

There's multiple versions of the film to potentially release in a set

1973 CUB TIGER FROM KWAN TUNG version - exists as a boot from a Japanese DVD, no idea if the 35mm print is still around

Original MWCF version - this does exist in widescreen as a non-anamorphic OAR transfer with dubbing by Ted Thomas and co - no idea if there is a Chinese language track to go with this. There is also the option of the Dick Randall English dub produced in Rome

Alternate Mandarin version - this is what is currently around in HD but it has a weird different end fight that takes place at night, with Kwang Young-moon looking totally different to how he looks in the rest of the movie. I have no idea if this dates back to 1979 or whether it was done later on.

• Like 3

Having all four versioned of Cub Tiger/Cracked Fingers on one release would be swell. Thankfully they can be obtained and gathered up if you're keen on owning three different releases, both dvd and blu ray.

• Like 2

starschwar
13 hours ago, Knetan said:

Having all four versioned of Cub Tiger/Cracked Fingers on one release would be swell. Thankfully they can be obtained and gathered up if you're keen on owning three different releases, both dvd and blu ray.

What is the fourth? 

• Cub Tiger from Kwang Tung: Original version as filmed.  Only exists in quality so poor that it is being generous to say that it is in color.
  • Master With Cracked Fingers / Snake Fist Fighter (English Dub):  Jackie lookalike, plus Simon Yuen and Dean Shek.  Final fight in daylight.
  • Master With Cracked Fingers (Chinese audio): Same as above, but final fight is at night.

Which am I unaware of?

Now, I do recall that City on Fire reported that Signal One had the rights to Snake Fist Fighter, but I don't think they ever confirmed that themselves? 

Regardless, I'd go all in on such a release, especially if the original version were to get an A/V upgrade over the horrendous transfer floating around out there.

• Like 2

ChillyChong
Posted (edited)

Yes please!i am grumpy of 88 delays but i guess for uk folks that is not so big issue.but for foreigners who pays expensive shipping would like to order more than one item at time.but planned order crashes when item delayed makes combination too hard.except for those who believe into zenbuddhism shit all good things come for those who wait.but so does bad things

IMG_20240628_081337.jpg

Edited by ChillyChong
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, starschwar said:

What is the fourth? 

• Cub Tiger from Kwang Tung: Original version as filmed.  Only exists in quality so poor that it is being generous to say that it is in color.
  • Master With Cracked Fingers / Snake Fist Fighter (English Dub):  Jackie lookalike, plus Simon Yuen and Dean Shek.  Final fight in daylight.
  • Master With Cracked Fingers (Chinese audio): Same as above, but final fight is at night.

Which am I unaware of?

Now, I do recall that City on Fire reported that Signal One had the rights to Snake Fist Fighter, but I don't think they ever confirmed that themselves? 

Regardless, I'd go all in on such a release, especially if the original version were to get an A/V upgrade over the horrendous transfer floating around out there.

I get oddly passionate about matters like this, and this film so pardon the long extract from my research archive. But the long and short of it is this. The four versions are the original film Cub Tiger From Kwangtung, the Asian version of Cracked Fingers with the nighttime end fight, the English version of Cracked Fingers but with daytime end fight, and Master With Cracked Fingers/Snake Fist Fighter that cuts a big chunk out of the Dean Shek scene and has its own, unique English dub. The longer version:

Over the years not only has a rough print of the original Cub Tiger From Kwangtung emerged but also the fact that the film has four versions essentially. Original, Asian version of the 1979 recut, English version of the recut and the version in the US Dick Randall bought, produced a new English dub track for as Master With Cracked Fingers. When he sold his rights to 21st Century Distribution, it was given a small theatrical release in 1981, as Snake Fist Fighter. Getting a sweet trailer in the process containing aural “testimonials” from the audience commenting on having seen Jackie in Battle Creek Brawl (aka The Big Brawl, released the year before) so the voice of a woman says: I think Jackie Chan’s the sexist. I can’t wait to see him tear off his shirt in the Snake Fist Fighter. Another voice comes in and says Jackie Chan is a mean mother*BLEEP*. Mostly this promo it had stills from the film, footage from Drunken Master, some from the daytime blindfold fight. The latter short version has been seen the most internationally but let’s break down the basic differences between the two, that makes sense to do in audio form. The Asian version of the 1979 edit and its English version play out the same until we get to the final fight. The Asian version essentially splits its conclusion between a daytime one and a nighttime one. We see Kwan Yung-Moon our baddie oversee men fighting (intercut with flashes of the harbor fight from the original) which he then interrupts by beating up some of the men. Then cut to our Jackie Chan double training at night using a blindfold. First he’s approached by two henchmen with weapons, he fights them while Kwan Yung-Moon observes. There is some dialogue exchange about fighting without the blindfold but it stays on because of Jackie Chan double business. The two fight and rather curiously the conclusion hinges on Kwan Yung-Moon slipping on a stone and “Jackie” taking advantage. At points in the scene there are further flashback snippets from the harbor fight in Cub Tiger From Kwangtung so we get a sense of Jackie Chan being “present.” This ending is also accompanied by Goblin’s score for Dawn Of The Dead. The scene also reveals the blindfold is kind of see-through. That’s the Asian version of the 1979 recut.

The English version of Master With Cracked Fingers gets another end fight entirely. It features Kwan Yung-Moon, Chiang Kam from Snake In The Eagle’s Shadow and Simon Yuen. The latter sits on a bench outside of the arena to comment intermittently. and Jackie’s double takes on Chiang Kam in a fight leaning more towards comedy where the latter demonstrates a few different styles like Pig’s Foot Style, Fish Style. Dean Shek also turn up briefly (in reaction shots at first used earlier in the harbor fight) and eventually Kwan Yung-Moon and the Jackie Chan double both put on a blindfold and the aim to avenge his father’s murderer is put in motion. It’s both a hand to hand and weapons fight, involving poles and swords and as soon as the villain is out the film is over. 

Snake Fist Fighter the US edit is the shortest of the bunch, features a new English dub, it has the daytime fight scene and focuses its editorial choices on removing comedy. Dean Shek and Simon Yuen trying to generate laughter bantering and gambling is trimmed significantly, about 4-5 minutes. 

There’s a 4 minute deleted scene in German with Jackie as a kid dealing with and fighting opponents comedically and this them transfers to the flips Jackie does in the opening credits from Cub Tiger intercut with new footage with Simon Yuen. The German deleted scene could even be from another movie as it’s not the kid version from the earlier training scenes but one that’s a few years older.

Edited by Knetan
  • Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 2

51 minutes ago, ChillyChong said:

Yes please!i am grumpy of 88 delays but i guess for uk folks that is not so big issue.but for foreigners who pays expensive shipping would like to order more than one item at time.but planned order crashes when item delayed makes combination too hard.except for those who believe into zenbuddhism shit all good things come for those who wait.but so does bad things

IMG_20240628_081337.jpg

Plus the UK dvd has the shorter version, with the unique dubtrack and is even widescreen. So I've managed to collect four versions across three disc releases. 

• Like 2

Killer Meteor
On 6/28/2024 at 7:10 AM, Knetan said:

I get oddly passionate about matters like this, and this film so pardon the long extract from my research archive. But the long and short of it is this. The four versions are the original film Cub Tiger From Kwangtung, the Asian version of Cracked Fingers with the nighttime end fight, the English version of Cracked Fingers but with daytime end fight, and Master With Cracked Fingers/Snake Fist Fighter that cuts a big chunk out of the Dean Shek scene and has its own, unique English dub. The longer version:

Over the years not only has a rough print of the original Cub Tiger From Kwangtung emerged but also the fact that the film has four versions essentially. Original, Asian version of the 1979 recut, English version of the recut and the version in the US Dick Randall bought, produced a new English dub track for as Master With Cracked Fingers. When he sold his rights to 21st Century Distribution, it was given a small theatrical release in 1981, as Snake Fist Fighter. Getting a sweet trailer in the process containing aural “testimonials” from the audience commenting on having seen Jackie in Battle Creek Brawl (aka The Big Brawl, released the year before) so the voice of a woman says: I think Jackie Chan’s the sexist. I can’t wait to see him tear off his shirt in the Snake Fist Fighter. Another voice comes in and says Jackie Chan is a mean mother*BLEEP*. Mostly this promo it had stills from the film, footage from Drunken Master, some from the daytime blindfold fight. The latter short version has been seen the most internationally but let’s break down the basic differences between the two, that makes sense to do in audio form. The Asian version of the 1979 edit and its English version play out the same until we get to the final fight. The Asian version essentially splits its conclusion between a daytime one and a nighttime one. We see Kwan Yung-Moon our baddie oversee men fighting (intercut with flashes of the harbor fight from the original) which he then interrupts by beating up some of the men. Then cut to our Jackie Chan double training at night using a blindfold. First he’s approached by two henchmen with weapons, he fights them while Kwan Yung-Moon observes. There is some dialogue exchange about fighting without the blindfold but it stays on because of Jackie Chan double business. The two fight and rather curiously the conclusion hinges on Kwan Yung-Moon slipping on a stone and “Jackie” taking advantage. At points in the scene there are further flashback snippets from the harbor fight in Cub Tiger From Kwangtung so we get a sense of Jackie Chan being “present.” This ending is also accompanied by Goblin’s score for Dawn Of The Dead. The scene also reveals the blindfold is kind of see-through. That’s the Asian version of the 1979 recut.

The English version of Master With Cracked Fingers gets another end fight entirely. It features Kwan Yung-Moon, Chiang Kam from Snake In The Eagle’s Shadow and Simon Yuen. The latter sits on a bench outside of the arena to comment intermittently. and Jackie’s double takes on Chiang Kam in a fight leaning more towards comedy where the latter demonstrates a few different styles like Pig’s Foot Style, Fish Style. Dean Shek also turn up briefly (in reaction shots at first used earlier in the harbor fight) and eventually Kwan Yung-Moon and the Jackie Chan double both put on a blindfold and the aim to avenge his father’s murderer is put in motion. It’s both a hand to hand and weapons fight, involving poles and swords and as soon as the villain is out the film is over. 

Snake Fist Fighter the US edit is the shortest of the bunch, features a new English dub, it has the daytime fight scene and focuses its editorial choices on removing comedy. Dean Shek and Simon Yuen trying to generate laughter bantering and gambling is trimmed significantly, about 4-5 minutes. 

There’s a 4 minute deleted scene in German with Jackie as a kid dealing with and fighting opponents comedically and this them transfers to the flips Jackie does in the opening credits from Cub Tiger intercut with new footage with Simon Yuen. The German deleted scene could even be from another movie as it’s not the kid version from the earlier training scenes but one that’s a few years older.

My suspicion is that the night-time end fight was done for some sort of reissue, and that the daytime comedy fight was what was originally seen in HK - assuming it played there, there is no release date for it on HKMDB. The day-time fight is on the English export trailer so it was likely also on the HK one.

Quite why they bothered doing a new fight at night, minus the comedy and Yuen Siu-tien, is a mystery to me!

• Like 2

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
On 6/26/2024 at 1:46 PM, saltysam said:

I've bought this,and it will come from HMV likely on Monday.but I hate supernatural martial arts,so will watch and sell on.there is something wrong with me 🥺

Nothing wrong with you, brother. You want to see it in its best available quality, so you bought it. You may wind up liking and keeping it. Or you'll sell it, likely take only a slight loss (if any) the size of a rental fee, and then have the cash to get yourself another movie. I hope you enjoy it, and guilt-free. :bigsmile:

On 6/26/2024 at 2:40 PM, nahnahnah said:

Late to the party but I'm glad to see you here! Especially since it means that I don't have to make a Twitter account just to see your posts lol. The knowledge and insight that you bring when it comes to this stuff is quite invaluable and helps enrichen the forums. Now if only @Irongod2112 would come back as well...

Ditto on being glad to see @OldPangYau reappear and hoping for @Irongod2112 to return.

On 6/27/2024 at 4:55 AM, Master with OK Fingers said:

As others have already mentioned, 88 Films would (as they always do) have included the English dub on their FIST OF LEGEND release if they could've. We all have different preferences- subbed or dubbed- and I love that they (and most boutique labels) have catered to that by including both. We've come a long way from the disrespectful, chopped up, redubbed and scored, no original audio-included releases of Hong Kong that used to be "the best" you could hope for in the USA and the UK.

What licensors will or won't allow, and what's available to a licensee can be very odd and random. Labels rarely openly discuss the details as they don't want to burn any bridges, so they tread lightly around the subject. But from what I've been exposed to the parameters can often seem arbitrary and ridiculous. There's been a lot of things that labels I've worked for wanted to do or include for titles that would've made them cooler, but that were shot down by the licensor.

It seems so simple. You want to release a film, you pay the owner money to do so, and they give you everything you need. Right? Wrong.

Anyway, IMHO the FIST OF LEGEND release is amazing! I've never watched it with the dub by choice, so I don't mind it missing. The PQ is fantastic, the interviews are great, Frank Djeng's audio commentary is a home run, and I dig the cover art. This will be one of the releases I return to most of all in my collection.

• Like 10

saltysam

I wonder if Bodyguard From Beijing and Tai Chi Master will have an english dub? i'm fine with original audio and subs but my brother is the total opposite, he passed on Fist Of Legend 4K and kept the old blu because of the lack of a dub.

• Like 3

Drunksnake

Revisited Heart Of Dragon today, so thought I'd post a reminder of how awesome this release was.20240701_041814.thumb.jpg.ee4f75365f93e8e3a30579c4372cc4d3.jpg20240701_061839.thumb.jpg.49fc10c0dc7a43861850fcda0bf6a479.jpg20240701_042226.thumb.jpg.c5af32dbcc6e2fef87380cb236e1f9c3.jpg20240701_061808.thumb.jpg.a1155b925937e15d3192b96b527a192f.jpg20240701_041643.thumb.jpg.ae0a0176f3f8ad4055ee9dd9d06efd25.jpg

• Like 6

Graysman

Announced from 88 films Guts trilogy to be released all uncut

IMG_1688.jpeg

• Like 4

Knetan

I'm guessing the theory was that these films wouldn't pass the BBFC sexual violence guidelines? Am not familiar with them.

Drunken Monk
1 hour ago, Knetan said:

I'm guessing the theory was that these films wouldn't pass the BBFC sexual violence guidelines? Am not familiar with them.

The films are also well known for having somewhat of a "blurred filter" applied during their raunchier parts. Basically, traditona Japanese style sexual censorship. It sounds like 88 Films have the filters removed in their release which I'm sure will really excite fans. I've yet to pre-order but I think I will.

Irongod2112
On 6/26/2024 at 2:40 PM, nahnahnah said:

Now if only @Irongod2112 would come back as well...

Hey everyone, so sorry for my absence.

Things have been extremely busy and I'm still suffering from Long Covid (over 3 years now) so I have good and bad days/weeks still. 

But be rest assured I'm still working behind the scenes on getting more classic HK cinema restored! 

Lots of cool things to come from 88 Films and the other labels as well. :)

I'll do my best to pop in this forum more often to answer questions. 

• Like 8
  • Love 4
  • Buddha Bless You 7

Irongod2112
On 6/27/2024 at 5:01 AM, Master with OK Fingers said:

Following on from the above.

The new 4k release of Project A. Has any details been released for this? I am really hoping for Project A Part2, to have the shorter international have the Original Eng dub in HD. It was only included as a SD extra in the Eureka set.

Yes the Export Cut with the Classic English dub will be in HD & 4K UHD were putting the final touches on it now. :)

• Like 8
  • Love 2

Irongod2112
On 6/29/2024 at 3:17 PM, saltysam said:

I wonder if Bodyguard From Beijing and Tai Chi Master will have an english dub? i'm fine with original audio and subs but my brother is the total opposite, he passed on Fist Of Legend 4K and kept the old blu because of the lack of a dub.

Unfortunately these will not have the English dubs 88 Films begged the rights holders to allow them to be included but they would not budge.

That being said those who prefer the original audio are going to be blown away with both Bodyguard & Tai Chi Master they look and sound amazing and finally have a real subtitle translation. :)

I hope everyone supports these releases and perhaps we will see more Jet Li coming up. ;)

• Like 9
  • Love 2
  • Buddha Bless You 3

saltysam

Thanks for the update Irongod, i've got both on order ,my brother will swerve because of no dub though. (to be fair he has some reading difficulties)

• Like 1