The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

Drunksnake

I don't want to derail further but I am very happy Brandon Bentley is back assisting 88.

He's done some amazing work with audio, hybrid cuts, trailer reconstructions, commentaries and his work on Arrow's Bruce Lee set was a great help to it's success.

He's a very friendly fan who has some great skills that has given us fans definitive cuts of our favourite movies that would've seemed impossible only a few years ago. I look forward to his work and will continue to support his efforts.

• Like 9
  • Love 5

WaverBoy
Posted (edited)
On 6/20/2024 at 5:58 PM, Yihetuan said:

Glad he came back but I thought the whole episode was BS from the beginning and as @One Armed Boxer mentioned there are labels that are working in good faith with bad actors which creates a moral quandary for some but for some reason, it's not put under the spotlight like 88 Films especially when a competing boutique label tries to take advantage of the controversy generated from it. From a personal perspective, I generally like Sion Sono films and I'm not going to toss his films from my collection because he may have Bey Logan'ed himself.

Nope, it wasn’t bullshit, it was entirely understandable. 88 fucked up, and then recognized the error of their ways and made amends, and Brandon came back, which is equally understandable. Very glad that got all sorted out. His tireless, knowledgeable, exacting efforts to help give the fans what they’ve always dreamed of are waaaaay above and beyond the call of duty, and are most appreciated by this HK film addict.

Edited by WaverBoy
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

WaverBoy
On 6/20/2024 at 5:47 PM, KUNG FU BOB said:

He stated (I'm paraphrasing) that he didn't want to work with the company if they were going to be working with a certain person. The company decided not to work with that person. I'm the one who asked him back to help on the HOLY VIRGIN VERSUS THE EVIL DEAD release and thankfully he agreed. Brandon is a great guy and stands by what he believes.

I’m so glad you asked and he agreed! Many thanks to you both; any release Brandon is involved in is automatically a step up, and ditto for you too, sir.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Yihetuan
8 minutes ago, WaverBoy said:

Nope, it wasn’t bullshit, it was entirely understandable. 88 fucked up, and then recognized the error of their ways and made amends, and Brandon came back, which is equally understandable. Very glad that got all sorted out. His tireless, knowledgeable, exacting efforts to help give the fans what they’ve always dreamed of are waaaaay above and beyond the call of duty, and are most appreciated by this HK film addict.

nah, it was BS bro.

• Confused 1

OldPangYau
On 6/20/2024 at 8:22 PM, Yihetuan said:

So he didn't stand by his convictions? I guess money talks & you know the rest...

So I'm going to take the "Brandon B. leaving sucks though" comment to cancel out the "I guess money talks" comment, and proceed from there.

First of all, thank you to everyone else for the kind words. Many know that typically for every bit of positive feedback I get, my brain focuses on the negatives.

But as Kung Fu Bob paraphrased, and while some may think "oh, that was his safety net", I did use the phrase "for the time being" when I said I was departing from my work with 88. I had many conversations with fans of these films giving their thoughts about me potentially resuming work for 88 going into 2023. So it's not like it was a "NAH, JK, LOL" scenario, especially as I was becoming more involved with Arrow's run of Fortune Star titles (the Bruce Lee set especially).

As for the "I guess money talks" comment... I won't divulge the compensation received on projects (so as not to show favoritism to any particular company I've assisted with, but it widely varies from company to company), but I'd have to laugh if someone thinks I could quit my day job with the projects I work on. Especially if all you see me credited for is simply "audio sync" in the booklets. 

At the end of the day, I'm now just trying to stay in my lane to help with these titles where I can, and *trying* to avoid drama, but lord knows it still likes to find me and take the wind out of the sails of working on these.

• Like 13
  • Love 3
  • Haha 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Yihetuan
1 hour ago, OldPangYau said:

So I'm going to take the "Brandon B. leaving sucks though" comment to cancel out the "I guess money talks" comment, and proceed from there.

First of all, thank you to everyone else for the kind words. Many know that typically for every bit of positive feedback I get, my brain focuses on the negatives.

But as Kung Fu Bob paraphrased, and while some may think "oh, that was his safety net", I did use the phrase "for the time being" when I said I was departing from my work with 88. I had many conversations with fans of these films giving their thoughts about me potentially resuming work for 88 going into 2023. So it's not like it was a "NAH, JK, LOL" scenario, especially as I was becoming more involved with Arrow's run of Fortune Star titles (the Bruce Lee set especially).

As for the "I guess money talks" comment... I won't divulge the compensation received on projects (so as not to show favoritism to any particular company I've assisted with, but it widely varies from company to company), but I'd have to laugh if someone thinks I could quit my day job with the projects I work on. Especially if all you see me credited for is simply "audio sync" in the booklets. 

At the end of the day, I'm now just trying to stay in my lane to help with these titles where I can, and *trying* to avoid drama, but lord knows it still likes to find me and take the wind out of the sails of working on these.

hey man, I was just being facetious & flippant with that comment. I doubt anyone is raking in the bucks doing these gigs. I appreciate you bro. I had good interactions with you back in the day.

• Like 1

OldPangYau
6 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

hey man, I was just being facetious & flippant with that comment. I doubt anyone is raking in the bucks doing these gigs. I appreciate you bro. I had good interactions with you back in the day.

I appreciate it, I just feel like I have to be on the defensive these days, though maybe that's just "PTSD" from that whole thing... that and I'm just stressed trying to juggle a bunch of projects at the moment, both with the blus and the aforementioned day job. But hey... I'm finally back on this forum, lol. 

• Like 7

starschwar
26 minutes ago, OldPangYau said:

I appreciate it, I just feel like I have to be on the defensive these days, though maybe that's just "PTSD" from that whole thing... that and I'm just stressed trying to juggle a bunch of projects at the moment, both with the blus and the aforementioned day job. But hey... I'm finally back on this forum, lol. 

Thank you for all of your contributions to all these great discs.  Your efforts are appreciated, and it's good to have you here.

• Like 10

Killer Meteor
2 hours ago, OldPangYau said:

What did you think of Big Boss Part II by the way? :)

• Haha 1

ironfistedmonk

Had an e-mail from Amazon pushing Island of Fire and Sex and Zen's release dates back, no date for Island of Fire it's got a placeholder 31st December now, Sex and Zen is 19th October

OldPangYau
11 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

What did you think of Big Boss Part II by the way? :)

Still haven't seen it, lol. Though I should *hopefully* have a comp of the "Game of Clones" set in a week or so... fingers crossed it's the one that actually has the BB2 disc!

• Like 3

starschwar
9 hours ago, ironfistedmonk said:

Had an e-mail from Amazon pushing Island of Fire and Sex and Zen's release dates back, no date for Island of Fire it's got a placeholder 31st December now, Sex and Zen is 19th October

I don't think a real official release date was given for Island of Fire to begin with - it was never on 88's website as far as I'm aware.

Is it greedy for me to be hoping the delay is to make it a double feature with Fantasy Mission Force?

• Like 3

Killer Meteor
46 minutes ago, starschwar said:

I don't think a real official release date was given for Island of Fire to begin with - it was never on 88's website as far as I'm aware.

Is it greedy for me to be hoping the delay is to make it a double feature with Fantasy Mission Force?

LOL, I want them to include FIRE DRAGON as well!

• Like 1

starschwar
55 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

LOL, I want them to include FIRE DRAGON as well!

Oh, hell yes.  I only caught a few minutes of that one once when it was on El Rey (in a marathon that also included the real FMF no less).  An even stranger version of one of the weirdest movies I've seen? Yes, please!

BigDruDogg
16 hours ago, ironfistedmonk said:

Project A 4k was Delayed until October (here in the states at least)

• Confused 1

saltysam
8 hours ago, BigDruDogg said:

It's a USA only release anyway, hopefully it'll appear before the end of the year.

• Like 1

BigDruDogg
1 hour ago, saltysam said:

It's a USA only release

Oh I didn't realize!

Still that's disappointing news, Seems like 88 always get their releases bottle-necked around the same time and have to delays pretty consistently, when they have new announcements I'm starting to take the release dates as place holders

15 hours ago, BigDruDogg said:

Well, can't say I wasn't beginning to expect this kind of news but it's a bit disappointing nonetheless. Oh, well, hopefully they'll make it worth the wait.

Graysman

Apparently they have already finished part one Disc and are still working on part two Disc

ChillyChong
16 hours ago, BigDruDogg said:

Seems like 88 always get their releases bottle-necked around the same time and have to delays pretty consistently, when they have new announcements I'm starting to take the release dates as place holders

When I see release date on amazon in my mind I have started to add 2 months. If movie becomes available before that even better. In past I did not care delays at all, items became available eventually. Well, same is now obviously but difference is amount of interesting releases forthcoming is lot larger now than year or two ago.

• Like 1

saltysam
12 minutes ago, Drunksnake said:

Holy Evil Virgins!20240626_145510.thumb.jpg.194289d5f303cd6a22f3c9bd4a3a5ed0.jpg20240626_145259.thumb.jpg.e922addc49eec09208987cca740546bd.jpg

I've bought this,and it will come from HMV likely on Monday.but I hate supernatural martial arts,so will watch and sell on.there is something wrong with me 🥺

• Haha 4

nahnahnah
On 6/22/2024 at 2:46 PM, OldPangYau said:

Late to the party but I'm glad to see you here! Especially since it means that I don't have to make a Twitter account just to see your posts lol. The knowledge and insight that you bring when it comes to this stuff is quite invaluable and helps enrichen the forums. Now if only @Irongod2112 would come back as well...

It's funny that you mention that you couldn't quit your job even with the amount of work that you're doing since a former producer at Arrow and BFI (now freelancer) revealed that most labels not named Criterion essentially don't pay their contributors that much (and can be considered to be less than minimum wage when accounting for the time and effort spent) . He even said that he was recording a large number of audio commentaries at the time but he was still losing out on pay since he didn't have enough time to do subtitling work, which pays the standard rate. It's a shame that people aren't being paid fairly but I guess this is what happens in a shrinking industry.

The easiest way to avoid drama is to simply avoid to any thread with Vinegar Syndrome fans lol. I still remember that Righting Wrongs debacle like it was yesterday...

• Like 1

Yggdrasil
2 hours ago, Drunksnake said:

Holy Evil Virgins!20240626_145510.thumb.jpg.194289d5f303cd6a22f3c9bd4a3a5ed0.jpg20240626_145259.thumb.jpg.e922addc49eec09208987cca740546bd.jpg

How do people get these early releases? It's at least a week away from release date.

• Like 1

BigDruDogg
2 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

How do people get these early releases? It's at least a week away from release date.

A lot of boutique shops get these moves a few weeks early and ship them as soon as they show up regardless of release dates

• Like 1