The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

Drunksnake

OK so we have this in 4K now which is crazy to me lol. We really should get some Chan classics in 4K like Miracles and Drunken Master if this has had a scan.20240619_075145.thumb.jpg.87f423c9abb0054061d671a3b154740a.jpg

Yggdrasil
1 hour ago, Graysman said:

Coming from 88 films 

IMG_1677.jpeg

I still prefer the original Japanese covers. I won't be double dipping on this series as I've bought the German version, unless of course there's a booklet included as my limited German stops at 'Auf Wiedersehen, pet'.

Yihetuan
2 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

I still prefer the original Japanese covers. I won't be double dipping on this series as I've bought the German version, unless of course there's a booklet included as my limited German stops at 'Auf Wiedersehen, pet'.

same here. Won't be double dipping as I also have the Austrian mediabooks (which have better covers IMO) & I'm sure it'll be the same prints used unless the extras really make it worth it.

• Like 1

Yihetuan
3 minutes ago, De Ming Li said:

How does this series compare to Entrails of a Virgin?

Huh? This is Entrails of a Virgin. It's just an "aka" but the other two in the trilogy are more hardcore and graphic. Entrails of a Beautiful woman aka Guts of a Beauty and Female Inquisitor aka Rusted Body.

• Like 2

Yggdrasil
6 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

same here. Won't be double dipping as I also have the Austrian mediabooks (which have better covers IMO) & I'm sure it'll be the same prints used unless the extras really make it worth it.

Well, now that you said that, there's always the audio commentary. Let's hope it's not "Bill & Ben".

• Haha 3

One Armed Boxer
5 minutes ago, Yggdrasil said:

Let's hope it's not "Bill & Ben".

It's an 88 Films release so you can rest easy, they no longer work with the label. Some would say it's a blessing in disguise. :tongueout

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, bickle14 said:

It's available now. I just ordered it.

Yeah, did the same once it was updated.

Yihetuan
7 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

Well, now that you said that, there's always the audio commentary. Let's hope it's not "Bill & Ben".

Now that Jasper Sharp is in the fold at 88, I'd be surprised if it wasn't him doing the commentary for this set.

6 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

It's an 88 Films release so you can rest easy, they no longer work with the label. Some would say it's a blessing in disguise. :tongueout

yes, the term 'no big loss' comes to mind but Brandon B. leaving sucks though.

Posted (edited)
On 6/1/2024 at 3:46 AM, starschwar said:

Maybe?  My memory is fuzzy and it's been more than a few years since I sat down and watched the film.  I could be dead wrong.

I got my 4K/BD copy yesterday and skimmed through the movie alternating between the two Cantonese monotracks available back-to-back. I can confirm that the default audio track is the Cantonese monotrack that we've been used to since the DVD era, with the hit sounds being used for both landed attacks and blocks. The great news is that the alternative Cantonese monotrack has the right sound effects for hits and blocks.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 5

So the alternative Cantonese mono is the one to go for. I am surprised this is not the default track. 

• Like 3

Drunken Monk

Does anyone know if the Guts trilogy is a UK or US release? If a UK release, are they going to be passed uncut by the BBFC?

Yggdrasil
19 hours ago, Graysman said:

Coming from 88 films 

IMG_1677.jpeg

I'd prefer the Lady Ninja series or Female Ninja Magic Chronicles collection, if I'm perfectly honest.

Yihetuan
3 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Does anyone know if the Guts trilogy is a UK or US release? If a UK release, are they going to be passed uncut by the BBFC?

That's one major reason I'm not going to get rid of my Shock blu ray mediabooks since those are uncut.

• Buddha Bless You 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, BLfan said:

So the alternative Cantonese mono is the one to go for. I am surprised this is not the default track. 

Exactly. I was surprised as well that it wasn't the default audio track. But we have access to the monotrack with the right sound effects now, so it's not a big issue for me.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2

starschwar

Sorry that I got it backwards!  Thanks for the sleuthing, @DiP !  Now I have something to look forward to for the rewatch.

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
9 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

yes, the term 'no big loss' comes to mind but Brandon B. leaving sucks though.

Brandon B. has been back working with 88 for a while.

• Like 4

Yihetuan
1 hour ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Brandon B. has been back working with 88 for a while.

So he didn't stand by his convictions? I guess money talks & you know the rest...

One Armed Boxer
7 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

So he didn't stand by his convictions? I guess money talks & you know the rest...

Personally I'm glad he changed his mind, something that we're all entitled to do without judgement. The whole 88 exodus felt like it was partly driven by the echo chamber mentality. Not questioning the principles that collaborators put forward as to the why, but the almost instantaneous villainy that the label was brushed with before they even had a chance to respond felt a little excessive, when at the end of the day their intentions were only to get the best content for the fans. They saw sense and acted accordingly, so good on those who left and then came back based on those actions. 

Meanwhile nobody seems to blink an eye as Eastern Heroes continues to champion and partner with Brett Ratner at any given opportunity!

• Like 8

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
20 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

He stated (I'm paraphrasing) that he didn't want to work with the company if they were going to be working with a certain person. The company decided not to work with that person. I'm the one who asked him back to help on the HOLY VIRGIN VERSUS THE EVIL DEAD release and thankfully he agreed. Brandon is a great guy and stands by what he believes.

• Like 16
  • Love 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Yihetuan
5 minutes ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Personally I'm glad he changed his mind, something that we're all entitled to do without judgement. The whole 88 exodus felt like it was partly driven by the echo chamber mentality. Not questioning the principles that collaborators put forward as to the why, but the almost instantaneous villainy that the label was brushed with before they even had a chance to respond felt a little excessive, when at the end of the day their intentions were only to get the best content for the fans. They saw sense and acted accordingly, so good on those who left and then came back based on those actions. 

Meanwhile nobody seems to blink an eye as Eastern Heroes continues to champion and partner with Brett Ratner at any given opportunity!

3 minutes ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

He stated (I'm paraphrasing) that he didn't want to work with the company if they were going to be working with a certain person. The company decided not to work with that person. I'm the one who asked him back to help on the HOLY VIRGIN VERSUS THE EVIL DEAD release and thankfully he agreed. Brandon is a great guy and stands by what he believes.

Glad he came back but I thought the whole episode was BS from the beginning and as @One Armed Boxer mentioned there are labels that are working in good faith with bad actors which creates a moral quandary for some but for some reason, it's not put under the spotlight like 88 Films especially when a competing boutique label tries to take advantage of the controversy generated from it. From a personal perspective, I generally like Sion Sono films and I'm not going to toss his films from my collection because he may have Bey Logan'ed himself.

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

KenHashibe
2 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

Just to echo the other responses, I fully support Brandon working with 88 again. He left because 88 hired "someone" (we all know who), then 88 listened to the backlash from fans/contributors by removing that "someone". I personally don't see a moral problem with him going back, and I don't see why he shouldn't. Plus, he's a major contributor who does amazing work.

• Like 6
  • Love 3

Yggdrasil
1 hour ago, KenHashibe said:

Just to echo the other responses, I fully support Brandon working with 88 again. He left because 88 hired "someone" (we all know who), then 88 listened to the backlash from fans/contributors by removing that "someone". I personally don't see a moral problem with him going back, and I don't see why he shouldn't. Plus, he's a major contributor who does amazing work.

You may all know who, but I'm just Joe Bloggs. Only person that was mentioned by @Yihetuan that I heard of was Bey Logan. But even then, I don't know all the personal reasons why everyone hates Bey or labels don't work with him any more.

One Armed Boxer
7 minutes ago, Yggdrasil said:

You may all know who, but I'm just Joe Bloggs. Only person that was mentioned by @Yihetuan that I heard of was Bey Logan. But even then, I don't know all the personal reasons why everyone hates Bey or labels don't work with him any more.

Let's not derail this thread with it, if any discussion is needed please take the Bey Logan related chats into his own thread - 

• Like 3