The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

AlexanderFu
5 hours ago, starschwar said:

Have you verified that your player (and any receivers, scalers, or anything else between the player and your TV) is outputting the correct color mode?  Often times, it can be set to the wrong color space - using the color values meant for a computer monitor rather than a TV.  HDR could also be an issue if your TV does not support that.

Thank you, I appreciate the info. Most stuff looks great, especially on mu Vizio. I usually use my computer & Window's Medi Player. I have a 4K Sony player, but only recently go a 4K disc. I'll have to look into what you're saying. Never ralized this stuff would be so complicated for me! Much appreciated. :thumbsup

kuenfist
4 hours ago, AlexanderFu said:

Thank you, I appreciate the info. Most stuff looks great, especially on mu Vizio. I usually use my computer & Window's Medi Player. I have a 4K Sony player, but only recently go a 4K disc. I'll have to look into what you're saying. Never ralized this stuff would be so complicated for me! Much appreciated. :thumbsup

If you have a Sony 4K player it is easy ... go to the picture settings and there to Custom here you can tweak. Brightness 2 or 4 if your display is very dark and contrast 2 this helps with dark HDR.

• Like 1

Yggdrasil
22 hours ago, AlexanderFu said:

This will be great, but To Kill a Mastermind will be the grail of the year so far.

I was lucky, the clones cox came 2 days ago, & the 4k To Kill With intrigue yesterday, so some great stuff to check out.

My Vizio is 3D capable (and has the nicest picture quality 0f of the 3 TV's I use).

My 4K TV seems a bit too dark (Samsung)

I probably got a cheap one. If anyone has any  4K TV recommendation, please let me know & thank you!

I looked around the Internet for you mate.

Does this help?

https://www.lifewire.com/best-picture-settings-for-samsung-4k-tv-4776573

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

AlexanderFu
8 hours ago, kuenfist said:

If you have a Sony 4K player it is easy ... go to the picture settings and there to Custom here you can tweak. Brightness 2 or 4 if your display is very dark and contrast 2 this helps with dark HDR.

Awesome, thank you kuenfist. Will definitely try that. Much appreciated!

59 minutes ago, Yggdrasil said:

I looked around the Internet for you mate.

Does this help?

https://www.lifewire.com/best-picture-settings-for-samsung-4k-tv-4776573

I'll definitely take a look, really nice of you and everyone's helpful suggestions.

Thank you for this!

Everyone really knows their stuff here, it's great. :thumbsup

• Like 2

Yihetuan
Posted (edited)
On 6/13/2024 at 11:13 AM, Chemical Lemon said:

I thought Amazon.uk used to remove the tax when you finally got to checkout. I switched to terracotta during the pandemic and never switched back to Amazon.uk, maybe the process has changed

They add VAT to the total even if shipped to the US.

Edited by Yihetuan

Chemical Lemon
40 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

They add VAT to the total even if shipped to the US.

Interesting, that must have changed at some point. As recent as 2019 (which I know is like forever ago now) they would remove the VAT when you actually checked out. 

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

I saw this posted on bluray.com's forum, taken from 88's Facebook page:

FAN: I hope Magnificent Bodyguards is REAL 3D, but probably not as I hear it was shot as anaglyph. It is also significantly shorter than the 2D version.

88 FILMS: It's both.

FAN: Please can you tell us if the Magnificent Bodyguards blu ray will feature the standard version (2D) of the film as I currently don't have a 3D TV or blu ray player? Thank you.

88 FILMS: The 3d disc will play in 2d as well.

:wink:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Buddha Bless You 2

tinlunlau

I've only checked out 88 Films' release of the "Fight Back to School" trilogy due to my small involvement with this box set.  Are they all Region A compatible like Fight Back to School was or is it just a selected few that are like that?

saltysam

I watched the 4K of To Kill With Intrigue earlier. A solid though unspectacular upgrade. Have 88 just colour retimed the old master? As the FS date at the end was 2017. I imagine for those looking to save money the blu ray wouldn't be a big downgrade. Haven't checked that yet.

Killer Meteor

It's not the old master - that had DVNR in places not present on this release.

• Like 1

Drunksnake

Fist Of Legend looks great in 4K and the new blu ray is really nice too.20240617_181148.thumb.jpg.7ed97d0c1a4a0147b15ae05f1e18aadc.jpg20240617_181320.thumb.jpg.4a70458ef62f900d23b5380dce511aed.jpg

• Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 1

starschwar
8 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

It's not the old master - that had DVNR in places not present on this release.

TKWI is no Young Master, either! 

Snark aside, appreciate the technical insight.  Does anyone have info on how long the Korean footage runs for?  I'm not much of a fan of the movie, and I don't really feel compelled to upgrade from 88's previous Blu-Ray.  If there's a lot of unseen footage, that might sway me, though.

ChillyChong
10 hours ago, starschwar said:

TKWI is no Young Master, either! 

Snark aside, appreciate the technical insight.  Does anyone have info on how long the Korean footage runs for?  I'm not much of a fan of the movie, and I don't really feel compelled to upgrade from 88's previous Blu-Ray.  If there's a lot of unseen footage, that might sway me, though.

Dvdcompare says ""From the Lo Wei Vaults - Alternate Korean Footage from "The Killer Meteors" and "Snake & Crane Arts of Shaolin" (16:59) ". So if someone can confirm it does not even have footage from TKWI then I stick old br.

http://dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=49318

• Confused 1

One Armed Boxer
18 hours ago, starschwar said:

Does anyone have info on how long the Korean footage runs for?  I'm not much of a fan of the movie, and I don't really feel compelled to upgrade from 88's previous Blu-Ray.  If there's a lot of unseen footage, that might sway me, though.

8 hours ago, ChillyChong said:

Dvdcompare says ""From the Lo Wei Vaults - Alternate Korean Footage from "The Killer Meteors" and "Snake & Crane Arts of Shaolin" (16:59) ". So if someone can confirm it does not even have footage from TKWI then I stick old br.

Dvdcompare is correct, the extra feature is footage that was exclusive to the Korean releases of 'The Killer Meteors' and 'Snake & Crane Arts of Shaolin'.

• Like 2

De Ming Li
Posted (edited)

Holy Virgin vs Evil Dead already sold out on the web store, wasn't expecting it to be this popular.

Edited by De Ming Li

clanarchy
7 hours ago, De Ming Li said:

Holy Virgin vs Evil Dead already sold out on the web store, wasn't expecting it to be this popular.

I don’t think the sold out notice has been removed since they listed with the usual £888.88 tag. Hopefully will be removed soon, if it has actually sold out already that would be surprising. 

Yggdrasil
30 minutes ago, clanarchy said:

I don’t think the sold out notice has been removed since they listed with the usual £888.88 tag. Hopefully will be removed soon, if it has actually sold out already that would be surprising. 

Ordered it from Amazon as they don't list it for £888.88

clanarchy
21 minutes ago, Yggdrasil said:

Yeah I just got some points I want to use up on 88 site.

it is actually available from them now.

sifu iron perm
1 hour ago, Yggdrasil said:

when is it due for release?

bickle14
9 hours ago, De Ming Li said:

It's available now. I just ordered it.

• Like 2

Yggdrasil
2 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

when is it due for release?

2nd July I think. It was originally 24th June, I believe.

• Like 1