The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

Yihetuan
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

Apologies if already discussed,  but how was the copy of Fearless Hyena 2? My copy has low volume, if I put it on full blast I can hear but still low. I've tried my other blurays all sound fine.

My copy also sounded fine with the audio routed through a Sonos soundbar via the eARC.

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Buddha Bless You 1

sifu iron perm

Cheers Guys,

I will try something out tomorrow but also I did play other blurays and dvd's all sounding normal and crisp.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

Mark Bell is working on artwork for a Blu Ray release of The Spiritual Boxer Part II. I don’t know what label it’s dropping on…

8A34A081-924B-42E9-9B18-579C3E9770D8.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Chemical Lemon
29 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Mark Bell is working on artwork for a Blu Ray release of The Spiritual Boxer Part II. I don’t know what label it’s dropping on…

I hate to jump to conclusions but given the shape of the picture it would seem to fit the arrow Shaw boxes for a film that’s on its own disc (not shared). Maybe from a new restoration?  If box 3 is really a horror box they may have to dig deep given how many horror movies have already been released by 88. Maybe there are just more duplicates though

• Like 1

Kevin Chan
9 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Did you claim you 10 kerjillion points already?

Drunken Monk
7 hours ago, Kevin Chan said:

Did you claim you 10 kerjillion points already?

I helped someone else claim them (I'm actually not on Facebook). He's now officially a kerjillionaire.

• Haha 1

PandaPawPaw
3 hours ago, Pandaman said:

Panda's smell sex & zen in 88 flims?

Yeah smelling is all they can do because everybody knows those fur balls are way to lazy to get it on! Plus when they do finally manage it, another one comes along and spoils it! :P

x7sWsbc.gif

• Haha 1

Pandaman
10 minutes ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Yeah smelling is all they can do because everybody knows those fur balls are way to lazy to get it on! Plus when they do finally manage it, another one comes along and spoils it! :P

x7sWsbc.gif

Oh well.

image.gif.ea6ec0f8381b1ad20f0645ccd2ec74a3.gif

andy338
On 5/22/2024 at 10:45 AM, clanarchy said:

That’s odd mine shipped yesterday!

Has your FOL arrived yet? Still haven't got mine.

clanarchy
23 minutes ago, andy338 said:

Has your FOL arrived yet? Still haven't got mine.

Yeah I got it last week? I went for the blu ray version not the 4k. Maybe that’s why?

• Like 1

andy338
39 minutes ago, clanarchy said:

Yeah I got it last week? I went for the blu ray version not the 4k. Maybe that’s why?

I ordered the blu ray too, does it come with poster and booklet?

clanarchy
22 minutes ago, andy338 said:

I ordered the blu ray too, does it come with poster and booklet?

No unfortunately nothing. No booklet or poster. 

andy338
6 minutes ago, clanarchy said:

No unfortunately nothing. No booklet or poster. 

Ok thanks, i'm not too bothered as the movie is the most important thing to me, I guess these are just with the 4k.

• Like 1

starschwar

88 absolutely delivered on the Fist of Legend Blu-Ray!  This masterpiece deserved this kind of treatment, and it was well worth the wait.  Some thoughts/observations on this release:

• The movie is the uncut Hong Kong version.
  • The subtitles appear to be accurate.  Dub-isms like "I don't hate anyone" and Chen's completely different last line of dialogue are instead accurate to the old burnt-in subs.
  • The long-absent epilogue text is present!  So strange that this wasn't always the case.
  • The primary Cantonese mono track sounds great.  I believe the version we're used to from crusty old VHS is what's labeled as the "alternate" audio.  I read somewhere that this "alternate" version we've heard for years was actually sourced from an incomplete version of the film?  Odd if true.  I can't go from memory entirely, but I do believe differences include some improved sound effects (no hit sounds on misses), a musical callback to the original Fist of Fury, and, if I'm not mistaken, more instances of Japanese characters speaking in their native language.
  • 5 minutes of footage from the Taiwan version are presented as separate deleted scenes.  Coming from an SD source with burnt-in subtitles, they actually don't look that bad.  I would have welcomed an Ultimate Cut, but the scenes don't add a lot to the narrative and the movie is just fine without them.
  • The HD transfer is immaculate.  No damage or decay.  Colors look correct for a movie from the mid 1990s.  No DNR, the grain looks beautiful.  Vibrant color, good contrast and black levels. 

An A+ release for an A+ movie.  If you're a fan of this one, now is the time to upgrade.  If you haven't seen it yet?  This is the absolute best way to see it for the first time.

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Buddha Bless You 6

25 minutes ago, starschwar said:

88 absolutely delivered on the Fist of Legend Blu-Ray!  This masterpiece deserved this kind of treatment, and it was well worth the wait.  Some thoughts/observations on this release:

• The primary Cantonese mono track sounds great.  I believe the version we're used to from crusty old VHS is what's labeled as the "alternate" audio.  I read somewhere that this "alternate" version we've heard for years was actually sourced from an incomplete version of the film?  Odd if true.  I can't go from memory entirely, but I do believe differences include some improved sound effects (no hit sounds on misses), a musical callback to the original Fist of Fury, and, if I'm not mistaken, more instances of Japanese characters speaking in their native language.

Do you mean no hit sounds for both hits and blocks? Because that has always been the audio we have listened to watching the Hong Kong cut.

• Like 2

starschwar
18 minutes ago, DiP said:

Do you mean no hit sounds for both hits and blocks? Because that has always been the audio we have listened to watching the Hong Kong cut.

Maybe?  My memory is fuzzy and it's been more than a few years since I sat down and watched the film.  I could be dead wrong.

The UK VHS and the French DVD had the alternate audio where the hit sounds are used for both hits and blocks. The audio on the Taiwanese DVD used the sound effects correctly. I'm not sure about the Hong Kong laserdisc though.

• Like 3

Niklaus Vogel
On 5/31/2024 at 5:59 PM, starschwar said:

• The movie is the uncut Hong Kong version.
  • The subtitles appear to be accurate.  Dub-isms like "I don't hate anyone" and Chen's completely different last line of dialogue are instead accurate to the old burnt-in subs.
  • The long-absent epilogue text is present!  So strange that this wasn't always the case.
  • 5 minutes of footage from the Taiwan version are presented as separate deleted scenes.  Coming from an SD source with burnt-in subtitles, they actually don't look that bad.  I would have welcomed an Ultimate Cut, but the scenes don't add a lot to the narrative and the movie is just fine without them.
  • The HD transfer is immaculate.  No damage or decay.  Colors look correct for a movie from the mid 1990s.  No DNR, the grain looks beautiful.  Vibrant color, good contrast and black levels. 

An A+ release for an A+ movie.  If you're a fan of this one, now is the time to upgrade.  If you haven't seen it yet?  This is the absolute best way to see it for the first time.

What about the extras?

starschwar
11 hours ago, Niklaus Vogel said:

What about the extras?

I haven't delved in beyond the deleted scenes, so I can't really speak to how interesting/enlightening they are.  I'm just still thrilled that the movie was presented so well.

ChillyChong

Brandon bentley said he tipped to some label the killer.and as 88 semicomfirmed they return to shaw

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Yihetuan

More Jasper Sharp influence coming soon. Anyone know what this clue is?

Screenshot-2024-06-04-at-20-17-48.png

IMG-1070.jpg

• Like 1

clanarchy

To Kill With Intrigue is up for pre-order now. I went with the 4K for this release, @KUNG FU BOB really liking the art for this one. 

• Like 1

starschwar
On 5/26/2024 at 12:10 PM, sifu iron perm said:

Apologies if already discussed,  but how was the copy of Fearless Hyena 2? My copy has low volume, if I put it on full blast I can hear but still low. I've tried my other blurays all sound fine.

The Cantonese audio sounded about normal to me for a movie of its age.  A little rough, but the volume level was on par with most of its contemporaries.

• Buddha Bless You 1

De Ming Li
10 hours ago, ChillyChong said:

Brandon bentley said he tipped to some label the killer.and as 88 semicomfirmed they return to shaw

Great stuff but I do hope that Arrow will still release their next Shawscope set

• Like 1