The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

starschwar
2 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

I absolutely can’t wait to get my dirty paws on a restored 3-D Blu-ray of MAGNIFICENT BODYGUARDS…another holy grail to check off my list! And the 3-D is gonna be Silver Age spectacular…depth for miles and face-smashing popouts! 🤘🏻🤘🏻🤘🏻🤘🏻🤘🏻

I never cared for the modern "atmospheric" 3D.   I say, if the audience pays for an extra dimension, use it.  Constantly.  Give me Friday The Thirteenth Part 3, give me Captain Eo! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Yihetuan

I'm loving Sam Green's work for 88. He's done Fist of Legend , Beauty of Beauties & another one that I can't recall but I still remember the bad ass one he did for Meiko Kaji's birthday

Screenshot_20240404-132157.png

GJd60U6W0AAY0m7.jpg

• Like 3

AslanBey

Ooouu yessssss I knew it I knew it. Right direction 88. Day one purchase. Give them the deluxe treatment.

• Like 2

bickle14
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Tai Chi Master coming…

And The Bodyguard from Beijing  

IMG-0729.jpg

Edited by bickle14
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

AslanBey

As much as I love both eureka and 88 the same I must say that eurekas coverart for the Jet Li releases are pretty bad. The 88 ones for Fist of legend and TaiChi look crazy. Lets hope that more of them are on the way.

And I find it interesting that KungfuBob doesnt get the Jet Li releases. I hope he gets the chance to do his magic for a deluxe 88 FongSaiYuk release in the very near future.

• Like 6
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Yggdrasil
16 hours ago, bickle14 said:

IMG-0729.jpg

Let's hope mistakes like "your" and "you're" don't get mixed up in the English subtitles.

• Like 4

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
On 4/4/2024 at 4:25 PM, Yihetuan said:

I'm loving Sam Green's work for 88. He's done Fist of Legend , Beauty of Beauties & another one that I can't recall but I still remember the bad ass one he did for Meiko Kaji's birthday

Screenshot_20240404-132157.png

GJd60U6W0AAY0m7.jpg

Sam's art for FIST OF LEGEND is pretty badass, and I love this LADY SNOWBLOOD piece too. I'm thrilled 88 is doing TAI CHI MASTER - a favorite since I first saw it in the theater at a midnight screening in 1993. I'm excited for the reveal of the rest of the cover.

1993 was a Hell of a year for Jet, by far his most prolific. He made 6 films in 12 months, and we're not just talking about cameos or supporting roles. He starred in six action-packed kung fu extravaganzas! Look at his output in that year:

:nerd:

ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA 3

FONG SAI-YUK

LAST HERO IN CHINA

FONG SAI-YUK 2

THE TAI CHI MASTER

KUNG FU CULT MASTER

On 4/4/2024 at 6:07 PM, bickle14 said:

IMG-0729.jpg

I don't think this is BODYGUARD FROM BEIJING (though I wish it were). In that film Jet's hair is buzzcut on the sides and a bristly military style, sticking up on top. That doesn't match this artwork, and I'm sure Sam wouldn't depict him with the wrong style for the movie he's doing art for. I think I know what is is... but I shouldn't say. 

On 4/4/2024 at 8:21 PM, AslanBey said:

As much as I love both eureka and 88 the same I must say that eurekas coverart for the Jet Li releases are pretty bad. The 88 ones for Fist of legend and TaiChi look crazy. Lets hope that more of them are on the way.

And I find it interesting that KungfuBob doesnt get the Jet Li releases. I hope he gets the chance to do his magic for a deluxe 88 FongSaiYuk release in the very near future.

I agree, the 88 Film's covers by Sam Green are pretty cool!

Thanks @AslanBey. I've gone through some tumultuous times which limited my work output these past two years. But there's still some stuff that I previously finished coming out soon, along with a bunch of new things that are in the works. This includes more cover work (Jet titles? possibly), a commissioned piece that's long been waiting in the wings, and art for something very different and cool which will be my first foray into this kind of project. This last one will appeal to fu fans and is a long-gestating passion project for a kung fu cinema super fan.

On 4/5/2024 at 10:54 AM, lastninja said:

Hopefully not as butchered "Twin Warriors" version.

There's no chance of that! If they release that version only @lastninja, I'll eat your most rusted shuriken in shame.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 4/5/2024 at 12:07 AM, bickle14 said:

IMG-0729.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's High Risk.

• Like 3

starschwar
2 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

1993 was a Hell of a year for Jet, by far his most prolific. He made 6 films in 12 months, and we're not just talking about cameos or supporting roles. He starred in six action-packed kung fu extravaganzas! Look at his output in that year:

:nerd:

ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA 3

FONG SAI-YUK

LAST HERO IN CHINA

FONG SAI-YUK 2

THE TAI CHI MASTER

KUNG FU CULT MASTER

That's a pretty impressive list!  And he turned down Crime Story that year as well.  I admit, I've only seen the two Wong Fei Hung movies on that list, but have heard good things about the others.  Jackie had six released in 1978 as well (which I think could count as the best overall year for kung fu movies in general).  Is that a tied record?  Six?  Or did some of the Shaw regulars manage to churn out more at some point?

• Like 1

bickle14
Posted (edited)

Green has a Facebook group where he posted more teases of the work. Definitely Bodyguard From Beijing.  Unless he’s using that same color palette on two covers…

Edited by bickle14
  • Like 1

Beardys Feather
20 minutes ago, starschwar said:

That's a pretty impressive list!  And he turned down Crime Story that year as well.  I admit, I've only seen the two Wong Fei Hung movies on that list, but have heard good things about the others.  Jackie had six released in 1978 as well (which I think could count as the best overall year for kung fu movies in general).  Is that a tied record?  Six?  Or did some of the Shaw regulars manage to churn out more at some point?

Hmmm.. Lo Lieh did 26 films in 1978 :coveredlaugh I know he wasn't always the main man, but still..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

saltysam
Posted (edited)

Have to confess i'm not a big Jet Li fan, so these releases are not floating my boat. I own the OUATIC set, Fearless,Hero and have FOF 4K on pre order, got that Shaw film he made because it's in the Shawscope set but apart from that i am not sure i will be ordering these forthcoming releases. I have ordered Black Mask and immediately regretted it, i've bought and sold it twice already :smile

Edited by saltysam
  • Like 2

ChillyChong
Posted (edited)

I am in for High Risk if that is coming. Have seen it just once long time ago so don`t actually remember much about it. It has some Game of Death impressions? Bodyguard from Beijing would be better and would not turn down Kiss of the Dragon either. But ignore Tai Chi Master, been drifting away from period pieces kung fu movies lately. Maybe and likely that changes one day but have stack of unwatched enough for now. Fist of Legend is definetely on purchase though.

Edited by ChillyChong
  • Like 2

lilmanjs
Posted (edited)
On 4/6/2024 at 2:58 PM, starschwar said:

He actually didn't turn down Crime Story. The director said he got through the screen test phase before he dropped out. As so the commentary on the Dragon Dynasty dvd in which he is a part of he says so.

Edited by lilmanjs
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, lilmanjs said:

He actually didn't turn down Crime Story. The director said he got through the screen test phase before he dropped out. As so the commentary on the Dragon Dynasty in which he is a part of he says so.

True. Jet dropped out because his former manager was murdered by triads, who tried to get Jet to star in their movies by threatening his manager. Jet signed with Charles Heung's production company after dropping out from Crime Story.

As for Jet Li titles... I'm all for his contemporary action movies and few of his periodic ones. So I'm looking forward to Tai Chi Master, Fist of Legend, and The Bodyguard From Beijing. It's a long shot but I hope we will get releases of Born to Defence, Dragon Fight, and the fully uncut version (only available on the French DVD) of Kiss of the Dragon.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 5

Yihetuan
9 hours ago, DiP said:

True. Jet dropped out because his former manager was murdered by triads, who tried to get Jet to star in their movies by threatening his manager. Jet signed with Charles Heung's production company after dropping out from Crime Story.

As for Jet Li titles... I'm all for his contemporary action movies and few of his periodic ones. So I'm looking forward to Tai Chi Master, Fist of Legend, and The Bodyguard From Beijing. It's a long shot but I hope we will get releases of Born to Defence, Dragon Fight, and the fully uncut version (only available on the French DVD) of Kiss of the Dragon.

yes, even the German blu ray labeled uncut doesn't show the full blood squib shooting out of the back of the head in Kiss of the Dragon. It's a very short scene but makes a huge difference as it's pretty gnarly how the blood just gushes out.

• Like 2

starschwar

I apologize for my poor phrasing and incomplete knowledge - I in no way meant to trivialize the violence related to Jet not appearing in that particular film.

• Like 3

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
On 4/6/2024 at 4:33 PM, saltysam said:

Have to confess i'm not a big Jet Li fan, so these releases are not floating my boat. I own the OUATIC set, Fearless,Hero and have FOF 4K on pre order, got that Shaw film he made because it's in the Shawscope set but apart from that i am not sure i will be ordering these forthcoming releases. I have ordered Black Mask and immediately regretted it, i've bought and sold it twice already :smile

@saltysam I'm sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy BLACK MASK. I dig it a lot and as I was reading I wondered if my previous praise of it was partially responsible for your purchase... until I got to the end of your sentence. :tongue: Hahaha. I've done this myself with certain movies. I'm unsure why we think something we don't like will radically change. Sure, some things will or will not appeal to us differently as we age and our feelings and experiences change. But certain things... not so much. :xd: For example, I desperately wanted BRIDE OF RE-ANIMATOR (the 1989 sequel to 1985's RE-ANIMATOR) to be as great as the original film, however, despite some cool elements and a great cast, overall, it was a big disappointment for me. Yet, when it came out on Blu-ray I felt compelled to give it another shot. :thinking All that changed was I had less money in my pocket. And then... yes, I did it again. I bought the deluxe Blu-ray release from Arrow. :dull Idiot! :laugh The collectoritus sickness that I've long suffered with reared its head, yet again, and whispered "Don't you want to have that beautifully produced sequel set on the shelf next to the original where it will look so perfect?" Yes, I responded weakly. :xd: And... well, I still think BoR is very disappointing. Dammit! At least, in this case, the Blu-ray is loaded with extras that were terrific and quite enjoyable (despite the finished film), including a re-printing of a RE-ANIMATOR comic book. Truth be told... it does look very cool on the shelf between the original and the Arrow release of BEYOND RE-ANIMATOR (2003). :nerd:

On 4/7/2024 at 2:00 AM, ChillyChong said:

I am in for High Risk if that is coming. Have seen it just once long time ago so don`t actually remember much about it. It has some Game of Death impressions? Bodyguard from Beijing would be better and would not turn down Kiss of the Dragon either. Fist of Legend is definetely on purchase though.

HIGH RISK is a lot of fun! It's a cutting parody of Jackie Chan (and Bruce Lee to a degree) with Jackie Cheung playing a Hong Kong action movie star with a huge ego and his secret stuntman/double played by Jet Li getting caught up in a DIE HARD-like terrorist situation. It features a great cast, typical Wong Jing wackiness (some jokes are hilarious, some groaners, and a few WTF bits too), and some exceptional action scenes. I'd love it if 88 put this one out..

I'm down for THE BODYGUARD FROM BEIJING and KISS OF THE DRAGON. BODYGUARD kicks ass, especially the final fight, and Christy Chung is oh-so-lovely. This is long overdue due for a proper home release. My HK DVD is on its last legs. I had to make a DVD-R backup copy as I feared it would stop working altogether.  For me, KISS and UNLEASHED are both head and shoulders above Jet's other non-Hong Kong movies, so royal treatment releases of these would be terrific too. I've never seen the uncut French version of KISS that was mentioned.

FIST OF LEGEND... :rockon

21 hours ago, DiP said:

This happened at a point when things had become absolutely hellish for filmmakers forced to deal with the Triads. Wasn't this around the time they pulled that sick shit to intimidate Chow Yun-Fat?

@DiP I'm with you for all of those titles.

11 hours ago, starschwar said:

I apologize for my poor phrasing and incomplete knowledge - I in no way meant to trivialize the violence related to Jet not appearing in that particular film.

Not at all @starschwar. You didn't say anything wrong.

Speculating about all these possible releases is fun. As far as other stuff coming from 88 Films this year that I'm actually aware of... wait, let me wipe away the anticipatory drool... the titles are exciting!!!

• Like 9
  • Love 1

starschwar
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Not at all @starschwar. You didn't say anything wrong.

Speculating about all these possible releases is fun. As far as other stuff coming from 88 Films this year that I'm actually aware of... wait, let me wipe away the anticipatory drool... the titles are exciting!!!

All the same, can't be too careful when it comes to such subject matter.

Meanwhile - I won't even dare speculate for fear of being wrong - as well as of being right!  But communicating something to the effect of "Fist of Legend is on the horizon, but the secret stuff after that is really exciting" is not lightly said!   Keep it secret.  Keep it safe. 

Edited by starschwar
  • Like 1

andy338
19 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

yes, even the German blu ray labeled uncut doesn't show the full blood squib shooting out of the back of the head in Kiss of the Dragon. It's a very short scene but makes a huge difference as it's pretty gnarly how the blood just gushes out.

I didn't know about an uncut version of Kiss of the Dragon until reading this thread, is it just this scene that's slightly longer or are there other differences?

Yihetuan
1 hour ago, andy338 said:

I didn't know about an uncut version of Kiss of the Dragon until reading this thread, is it just this scene that's slightly longer or are there other differences?

It's just that short scene that I'm aware of but perhaps @DiP has further info to add?