The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

AslanBey
1 hour ago, Yihetuan said:

Any clues from the latest hint?

IMG-0662.jpg

Flying leaves reminds me of FongSaiYuk... but too far away I would say...

JanPospisil

LOL, "The Magic Crane" (1993) would be a wild choice. (I love the 90s, but that is not a great movie.)

Yggdrasil
30 minutes ago, JanPospisil said:

LOL, "The Magic Crane" (1993) would be a wild choice. (I love the 90s, but that is not a great movie.)

Well that's good then. The more they churn out films of any interest to me, the more money I can save in these desperate times.

ShawAngela
10 minutes ago, HeavenSword said:

IMG_4430.jpeg

Nice cover, it's good to see Chen Hui Lou on it, he is one of my favorite actors. Thanks, @KUNG FU BOB!

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Yggdrasil
26 minutes ago, HeavenSword said:

IMG_4430.jpeg

Is this a brand new film or a film using old footage, like Drunken Master 2?

• Confused 1

Yggdrasil
1 hour ago, Yggdrasil said:

And the confused emot? I don't fancy buying a film that's made using off cuts or unused footage.

Drunksnake
25 minutes ago, Yggdrasil said:

And the confused emot? I don't fancy buying a film that's made using off cuts or unused footage.

The confused emot is because you said  "like Drunken Master 2" which is not made up of scenes from other movies.

• Like 1

PandaPawPaw
3 hours ago, HeavenSword said:

IMG_4430.jpeg

Oldman likes what he sees........................

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

My understanding is that it consists of (some very uninspired) scenes of Jackie, he then left the production (was able to break his contract with Lo Wei), film then uses doubles, doubles in disguise and old footage from the likes of Spiritual Kung Fu to fill in the gaps. That then co-exists with a returning Yen Shi-Kwan and what ends up being co-star Austin Wai's scenes that were made for this production. Awful film but production backstories like this always fascinate me. 

• Like 2

ChillyChong
12 minutes ago, Knetan said:

Awful film

No disagreements but there are few good moments here and there. Lazy mans house is hilarious, scene kwong young moon and yen shi kwan fights girl is decent and end fight is ok. Found it less pain to watch than half a loaf f e.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, ChillyChong said:

No disagreements but there are few good moments here and there. Lazy mans house is hilarious, scene kwong young moon and yen shi kwan fights girl is decent and end fight is ok. Found it less pain to watch than half a loaf f e.

I love the Lo Wei run of films for the quality that some of the movies contain, but mainly have them to watch the evolving nature of Jackie, So regardless of how awful Loaf (and it is, oof) or Fearless Hyena II is, I want these for that experience. So all are guaranteed purchases for me. 

Edited by Knetan
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

tomgray2404
Posted (edited)

Let's cut to the chase. This film is pure, unfiltered, deep brown hyena sh_t!

I've watched it twice (both times in the early 90s). The second time was just to make sure it was as bad as I originally thought.

Edited by tomgray2404
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yggdrasil
3 hours ago, Knetan said:

My understanding is that it consists of (some very uninspired) scenes of Jackie, he then left the production (was able to break his contract with Lo Wei), film then uses doubles, doubles in disguise and old footage from the likes of Spiritual Kung Fu to fill in the gaps. That then co-exists with a returning Yen Shi-Kwan and what ends up being co-star Austin Wai's scenes that were made for this production. Awful film but production backstories like this always fascinate me. 

Thanks. I'll give it a miss.

bickle14

Obviously a joke... except for one...

"Just as you thought 2024 was the year 88 brings back DVDs, things take a giant and unexpected twist!

Using a semiautomatic method of stereo conversion using depth maps and depth-image-based rendering, and a little bit of 88 magic - we present to you 3 films in desperate need of a three-dimensional facelift. Plus a real 3D film!
With 3D TV’s out of fashion, and no longer being manufactured, we had a quick brainstorming meeting at a coffee shop and decided it's a good time to dive head first into FULL 3D [we will also include anaglyph 3D where we can for those who don’t have a 3D TV (which is everyone)]
The depth-based conversion can be time-consuming so expect some small delays from the street dates we tell you.
We are taking it one step further with a B&W fav and presenting Raging Bull in FULL COLOUR for the first time ever.
Happy Easter Everyone
Eighty-Eight Films! Making flat films 3D since 2024"

May be a graphic of 3 people and text
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

sifu iron perm
On 3/28/2024 at 7:43 PM, Knetan said:

Sort of like a game of death tactic.

• Like 1

Partly yes but going by memory I say it's equally divided between what Jackie shot, the new footage with returning and new cast, reused footage.

Yggdrasil
2 hours ago, bickle14 said:

Obviously a joke... except for one...

"Just as you thought 2024 was the year 88 brings back DVDs, things take a giant and unexpected twist!

Using a semiautomatic method of stereo conversion using depth maps and depth-image-based rendering, and a little bit of 88 magic - we present to you 3 films in desperate need of a three-dimensional facelift. Plus a real 3D film!
With 3D TV’s out of fashion, and no longer being manufactured, we had a quick brainstorming meeting at a coffee shop and decided it's a good time to dive head first into FULL 3D [we will also include anaglyph 3D where we can for those who don’t have a 3D TV (which is everyone)]
The depth-based conversion can be time-consuming so expect some small delays from the street dates we tell you.
We are taking it one step further with a B&W fav and presenting Raging Bull in FULL COLOUR for the first time ever.
Happy Easter Everyone
Eighty-Eight Films! Making flat films 3D since 2024"

May be a graphic of 3 people and text

April fools joke?

• Haha 1

sifu iron perm
23 minutes ago, Yggdrasil said:

April fools joke?

Certainly is brother. 

bickle14
Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Yggdrasil said:

April fools joke?

Yes. I said it was a joke... but Magnificent Bodyguard is not. It is coming eventually.

Edited by bickle14
  • Like 1

starschwar

I would probably unironically buy a 3D converted Freddy Got... Blu-Ray if it were real.  Not a good movie to say the least, but my one viewing 20 years ago was disproportionately memorable.  The sausage scene and - one that I can't possibly describe in any public fashion - would benefit from added visual depth. 

Glad Magnificent Bodyguards is finally semi-officially-announced. 

On Fearless Hyena 2:

@Cognoscente posted a great breakdown a few years back.  As I remember it, the movie's sources consist  of a mix of:

• An unfinished and abandoned film (directed by Lo Wei) that was scrapped and replaced by Fearless Hyena (directed by Jackie).  Similarities are due to recycling ideas after production restarted as FH.
  • Deleted scenes / outtakes from Fearless Hyena, possibly other Lo Wei era Jackie films, including Spiritual Kung Fu
  • Redubbed but otherwise unaltered footage from FH and various other films,.
  • Brand new footage featuring a Jackie double, Game of Death style (no cardboard face though).

starschwar

Oh!  Where is my brain today?!  Not only is Bodyguards essentially announced, but in its original 3D (unless they're being cruel in their April Fool's joke.)   Hope there's at least a few pairs of anaglyphic glasses in there - three would be perfect for my needs. 

• Like 1

WaverBoy

I absolutely can’t wait to get my dirty paws on a restored 3-D Blu-ray of MAGNIFICENT BODYGUARDS…another holy grail to check off my list! And the 3-D is gonna be Silver Age spectacular…depth for miles and face-smashing popouts! 🤘🏻🤘🏻🤘🏻🤘🏻🤘🏻

• Like 5