The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

56 minutes ago, ChillyChong said:

4k release sounds bit silly, original release is among best transfers. I love movie but it seems to be less liked chans.and of magnificent bodyguards soundtrack would it not be possible to delete problematic cues and add new sounds..in general beyond this movie

The SW cues were left intact for the Shout release of Magnificent Bodyguards. The Pink Floyd cues were left intact for Arrow’s release of the Bruce Lee films. I’m hoping we’ll be ok on that front.

Edited by WaverBoy
  • Like 3

Yggdrasil
On 2/15/2024 at 8:25 PM, sifu iron perm said:

Yes fully uncut but some of the unct bits are SD not HD. 

As long as its not 4:3, pixilated with dual subs, I don't care.

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

tomgray2404
On 2/16/2024 at 10:59 PM, WaverBoy said:

The SW cues were left intact for the Shout release of Magnificent Bodyguards. The Pink Floyd cues were left intact for Arrow’s release of the Bruce Lee films. I’m hoping we’ll be ok on that front.

Yeah, and you have The Spy Who Loved Me kicking around Snake & Crane. If music cues were an issue, three-quarters of the HK back catalogue from the 1970s would have to be shelved.

• Like 4

You expect the hammer to be dropped but it never happens, unless awareness is created or if it's worth it. One example where a release did need to alter its music for yet another dvd release was Master Of The Flying Guillotine. Sometime after Pathfinder released two editions, I think an Australian one was looming but the band Neu or the rights holders of the music stepped in and required compensation for licencing the track (that appears in the opening credits) and ultimately that release went ahead with different music.

Edited by Knetan
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Knetan said:

You expect the hammer to be dropped but it never happens, unless awareness is created or if it's worth it. One example where a release did need to alter its music for yet another dvd release was Master Of The Flying Guillotine. Sometime after Pathfinder released two editions, I think an Australian one was looming but the band Neu or the rights holders of the music stepped in and required compensation for licencing the track (that appears in the opening credits) and ultimately that release went ahead with different music.

which is a shame since that R4 Eastern Eye release had the best picture quality out of all the releases but without that Neu! Super song in the opening and Super 16 every time Fung Sheng Wu Chi appears that film is just not the same.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

As disconnected as their genre of music seems to be to that film, it sure is a perfect fit and i wouldn't want to watch the film without it. Thanks for confirming my vague memory that it was for an Australian release.

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
On 2/19/2024 at 8:12 AM, Knetan said:

I bet Neu got wind of it once their music was used by Tarentino in Kill Bill.

So hopefully he'll fund any eventual restoration!

• Buddha Bless You 1

Killer Meteor
On 3/7/2018 at 2:22 AM, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Crap!! Shanghai Lil! I really want that, old grindhouse classic!

I watched the German blu-ray last night. Celestial's transfer is one of their weaker ones - lots of artificial slow-motion presumbly to hide missing footage - but the movie itself was quite good. It feels a lot more like a Taiwanese imitation of an Angela Mao film, which is to its credit, as I find the Shaws' house-style rather bland and repetetive. Shih Szu and Lee Wai in a girl-on-girl recreation of when Bruce Lee went against a katana-weilding Feng Yi in FIST OF FURY is a particular highlight.

• Like 3

I just read the comments regarding the IWS series from a week ago, and I have to ask, why is it for a lot of Hong Kong cinema fans comedy= bad movie; lots of fights/gun play=good movie?

Edited by Katakuri

Drunken Monk
5 hours ago, Katakuri said:

I just read the comments regarding the IWS series from a week ago, and I have to ask, why is it for a lot of Hong Kong cinema fans comedy= bad movie; lots of fights/gun play=good movie?

I think a lot of people got into the genre through the action. I know I did. Action was the core of Hong Kong cinema for me and still is to this day.
As for the comedy, I think it's the distinct style of comedy people rebel against. Hong Kong comedy is known to be overly goofy a lot of the time and that's not universally loved.

I love the comedy in The Inspector Wears Skirts though. Such a good time.

• Like 4

Killer Meteor
On 2/19/2024 at 8:12 AM, Knetan said:

On the subject of MOTFG, I wonder if the uncut English dub is out there somewhere. The current version avaliable is about 10 min shorter than the Chinese version, but if you watch the UK VHS, you can hear audible blips where they cut the extra lines.

ironfistedmonk
9 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

I watched the German blu-ray last night. Celestial's transfer is one of their weaker ones - lots of artificial slow-motion presumbly to hide missing footage - but the movie itself was quite good. It feels a lot more like a Taiwanese imitation of an Angela Mao film, which is to its credit, as I find the Shaws' house-style rather bland and repetetive. Shih Szu and Lee Wai in a girl-on-girl recreation of when Bruce Lee went against a katana-weilding Feng Yi in FIST OF FURY is a particular highlight.

I thought I had a defective disc watching this movie, didn't think it could have been done on purpose :bs_laughing:

You can feel the Taiwan oozing out of this one, decent basher

PandaPawPaw

Do negatives exist of the longer Island on Fire or will it be a Big Boss mandarin cut type affair with burnt in subs?

tomgray2404
15 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Do negatives exist of the longer Island on Fire or will it be a Big Boss mandarin cut type affair with burnt in subs?

That's a brilliant question. My guess is that it'll be on as a special feature grind house style.

One thing is for sure, if the Taiwanese cut isn't on there, then I'm not buying it. I hate the chopped up version and havent watched it since it was released on VHS years ago. When I bought the HKL DVD back in the day, I returned it and got my money back.

I have a HK original DVD of the full cut, but I'd like it in better condition. Hopefully 88 turn this around.

Edited by tomgray2404
  • Like 1

ChillyChong
21 minutes ago, tomgray2404 said:

One thing is for sure, if the Taiwanese cut isn't on there

While details are not yet revealed, amazon lists runtime 2 hours 5 minutes.

tomgray2404
2 hours ago, ChillyChong said:

While details are not yet revealed, amazon lists runtime 2 hours 5 minutes.

I saw that and got semi-excited, BUT I'm wondering if they just poached that from IMDb. They have it listed as 2 hours 5 mins. 

Apparently 88 don't even know if the Taiwanese cut is included.

Edited by tomgray2404

starschwar

The Amazon listing has to be placeholder information.  It may have the longer runtime, but lists the language as Cantonese.  Unless they unearthed a complete Canto dub for the longer version (with 88's track record, that isn't impossible!), that would be a mismatch of the two main versions.

I'm sure 88 knows what they have, they just aren't ready to announce all the details.  The even sooner to be released Fist of Legend doesn't have its info on the official website yet.  I'm sure as time progresses we'll have a full breakdown of what's available and in what quality.  We aren't dealing with HMV, after all!

• Like 2

Killer Meteor

A comment on FB by 88 suggests they have Magnificent Bodyguards!

• Like 5

WaverBoy
On 3/1/2024 at 7:48 AM, Killer Meteor said:

A comment on FB by 88 suggests they have Magnificent Bodyguards!

See my posts about that from February 16th on this very thread 😎

• Like 2

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Is it May 27th yet? :thinking I can't stop thinking about FIST OF LEGEND in 4K! :nerd:

As Veruca Salt once famously said, "I want it now!"

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

PandaPawPaw
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Is it May 27th yet? :thinking I can't stop thinking about FIST OF LEGEND in 4K! :nerd:

As Veruca Salt once famously said, "I want it now!"

Yeah but look what happened to her. She won't be watching FOL in any format if at all. :(

willy-wonka.gif

:P

Edited by PandaPawPaw
  • Haha 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
On 3/4/2024 at 5:30 PM, PandaPawPaw said:

Yeah but look what happened to her. She won't be watching FOL in any format if at all. :(

willy-wonka.gif

:P

I beg to differ. I have a good egg/bad egg detector in my living room, but... it's actually a secret drop chute into my man cave where a kung fu film is always qued up and ready to be watched at the push of a button.

• Haha 3

bickle14

Going to have to wait a bit longer for Project A it seems. Websites have updated the release date to July 9th.