The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

Chemical Lemon

I haven’t seen this one before but any movie that can claim both clothed and nude versions deserves and immediate buy from me

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Drunken Monk
14 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

IMG_5645.jpeg

I will literally order four or five of these releases. I'm on the fence about To Kill with Intrigue and Absurd. Though the latter is a great double bill with Anthropophagus.

• Like 2

Super Ninja

I was going to get the VS blu with both films since I skipped the original BC from 88, but that cover makes me wanna change my mind. Killer artwork.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Super Ninja said:

I was going to get the VS blu with both films since I skipped the original BC from 88, but that cover makes me wanna change my mind. Killer artwork.

Same here. The James Neal artwork is fantastic and continues with the theme he did for the first film. I was also going to get the VS double set but held off after Frank mentioned 88 will release the it. It's not a great film or anything but still have to support these physical releases and also remember Jade Leung got into a similar situation as Moon Lee and Sibelle Hu did in Devil Hunters and was badly injured. Have to support any movie that she put her life on the line to make and also show nudity!

IMG-0526.jpg

• Like 4

PandaPawPaw

iDmxBr.gif

I have a soft spot for Island on Fire. I hope the longer version is on there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

ChillyChong

Christ, Island finally. Have german dvd of taiwanese cut as extra on shorter BR, slightly cut, quality not so good and usual hk english subs.

Edited by ChillyChong
  • Like 1

sifu iron perm
2 minutes ago, PandaPawPaw said:

iDmxBr.gif

I'm hearing the Taiwanese cut is on there.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

BigDruDogg

Island on Fire?!  another Jackie Blu-Ray to mark off the list!! Kill with Intrigue is an interesting 4K choice, I still have the Blu-Ray 88 released a few years back, so I may skip that one..

• Like 1

Yggdrasil
11 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

Finally The Holy Virgin vs The Evil Dead after 3 years of anticipation. @Irongod2112 called this and finally came to fruition.

Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 21-34-44 Holy Virgin VS Evil Dead Donnie Yen.png

I wonder if this will be the cut version?

Still, owning as a physical release is epic. Next up is Drunken Tai Chi.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PandaPawPaw said:

iDmxBr.gif

As far as I know it will be.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Yggdrasil said:

11 minutes ago, Yggdrasil said:

Again this will be Fully uncut version from what I read

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Yggdrasil
18 minutes ago, Graysman said:

Again this will be Fully uncut version from what I read

Outstanding! Thanks @Graysman. I don't venture onto this site as much as I did before, so I haven't really paid much attention to new releases and such.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Yggdrasil said:

Outstanding! Thanks @Graysman. I don't venture onto this site as much as I did before, so I haven't really paid much attention to new releases and such.

Totally uncut, though the Cat III footage did have to be sourced from SD masters due to missing film elements... believe me, we tried. But it's basically "the most HD" the Cat III cut has been.

• Like 7
  • Buddha Bless You 1

14 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

Finally The Holy Virgin vs The Evil Dead after 3 years of anticipation. @Irongod2112 called this and finally came to fruition.

Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 21-34-44 Holy Virgin VS Evil Dead Donnie Yen.png

A reliable sorce predicted this release so I knew it was only a matter of time.

Hopefully, more Donnie Yen titles to follow. Maybe Legend of the Wolf next?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

Same here. The James Neal artwork is fantastic and continues with the theme he did for the first film. I was also going to get the VS double set but held off after Frank mentioned 88 will release the it. It's not a great film or anything but still have to support these physical releases and also remember Jade Leung got into a similar situation as Moon Lee and Sibelle Hu did in Devil Hunters and was badly injured. Have to support any movie that she put her life on the line to make and also show nudity!

IMG-0526.jpg

Just a correction, I got the films mixed up. The film that Jade got badly injured was Peter Mak's Enemy Shadow not Black Cat. It was this corridor explosion scene which they kept in the movie.

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

sifu iron perm
3 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

Yes fully uncut but some of the unct bits are SD not HD. 

• Like 4

starschwar
6 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I'm on the fence about To Kill with Intrigue

I'm amazed that one even made it to Blu - let alone that it's getting a re-release in 4K.  I've found new appreciation for most of the Lo Wei era Jackie films, but I really don't see how a bump in resolution could improve that movie any further than the previous release.  I won't be making the jump to 4K in general for a long time yet.  But ignoring formats, I really can't envision anything - short of some obscure longer version being included - that would ever entice me to upgrade that particular movie again.  Frustratingly convoluted storytelling for what's otherwise a not-too complicated story, coupled with an utterly unrecognizable Jackie.  It's not bad but probably the worst of that era.  Well, maybe other than Fearless II, I'll need to re-evaluate once that one comes out.

• Like 5

The 88 release I’m most excited for is the hinted-at MAGNIFICENT BODYGUARDS in 3-D. Me being both a Jackie fanatic AND a 3-D Blu-ray fanatic, this is obviously one of my holy grails.

• Like 7
  • Buddha Bless You 1

starschwar
1 hour ago, WaverBoy said:

The 88 release I’m most excited for is the hinted-at MAGNIFICENT BODYGUARDS in 3-D. Me being both a Jackie fanatic AND a 3-D Blu-ray fanatic, this is obviously one of my holy grails.

Has it been hinted it in an official capacity?  I mean, 88 has done/announced all of the other Jackie / Lo Wei movies.  It'd be bizarre if it were skipped for whatever reason.  As usual, I'm assuming the reason it's being saved for last is due to the complexities of restoring a 3D film.  That or the Star Wars music is proving to be a legal difficulty.  But there's a tiny bit of A New Hope music in SITES and that didn't stop that release so I don't think that's the culprit.

• Like 1

I'm excited for the forthcoming Japanarchy releases. 20 titles! I'm sure Jasper Sharp has some nice ones ready to announce soon.

Screenshot-2024-02-16-at-14-20-07.png

• Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

ChillyChong
On 2/15/2024 at 11:23 PM, starschwar said:

I'm amazed that one even made it to Blu - let alone that it's getting a re-release in 4K.  I've found new appreciation for most of the Lo Wei era Jackie films, but I really don't see how a bump in resolution could improve that movie any further than the previous release.  I won't be making the jump to 4K in general for a long time yet.  But ignoring formats, I really can't envision anything - short of some obscure longer version being included - that would ever entice me to upgrade that particular movie again.  Frustratingly convoluted storytelling for what's otherwise a not-too complicated story, coupled with an utterly unrecognizable Jackie.  It's not bad but probably the worst of that era.  Well, maybe other than Fearless II, I'll need to re-evaluate once that one comes out.

4k release sounds bit silly, original release is among best transfers. I love movie but it seems to be less liked chans.and of magnificent bodyguards soundtrack would it not be possible to delete problematic cues and add new sounds..in general beyond this movie

Edited by ChillyChong

2 hours ago, starschwar said:

Has it been hinted it in an official capacity?  I mean, 88 has done/announced all of the other Jackie / Lo Wei movies.  It'd be bizarre if it were skipped for whatever reason.  As usual, I'm assuming the reason it's being saved for last is due to the complexities of restoring a 3D film.  That or the Star Wars music is proving to be a legal difficulty.  But there's a tiny bit of A New Hope music in SITES and that didn't stop that release so I don't think that's the culprit.

Indeed it has.

0D07EEA9-D9E8-4B84-8DBD-4A0B30EFD8E5.jpeg

• Like 2