The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

starschwar

Looking at that Fist of Legend box mockup - it looks a bit on the thick side, doesn't it?  Is that 4K+BluRay as a combo, or is this some sort of special double disc edition?  Perhaps the Taiwan version on a second disc?  I don't want to get my hopes up too high - just having a good release of the HK cut alone is one of my holy grails. 

• Like 2

BigDruDogg
4 hours ago, starschwar said:

just having a good release of the HK cut alone is one of my holy grails. 

You and me both, it's my personal favorite Jet Li film by a mile!! What amazing news, and awesome box art!! Definitely a release of the year for me!!

• Like 3

Trust me dear labels. Bring them Jet Li releases and we will buy them out.

Definitely getting Fist Of Legend. Im very happy that it is going towards JetLi deluxe 88 treatment.

Now please FongSaiYuk...

• Like 2

pachito23
33 minutes ago, AslanBey said:

Trust me dear labels. Bring them Jet Li releases and we will buy them out.

Definitely getting Fist Of Legend. Im very happy that it is going towards JetLi deluxe 88 treatment.

Now please FongSaiYuk...

Slow down.....my postwoman is always complaining about the many packages I am getting

:hvb_he_he_he:

Can't wait to finally get a decent release of Fist of Legend on blu ray. The French version is OOP and the one listed on ebay is 50 euros...

If anybody is listening, I am also in for Fong Sai Yuk. Please, pretty please...

Edited by pachito23
  • Like 1

Looking forward to Fist of Legend, hope Born to Defend & Shaolin Temple come this year too. Is there a decent version of Kiss of the Dragon? Great film but since the original dvd release i've not owned it on blu ray.

ShawAngela
14 minutes ago, andy338 said:

Looking forward to Fist of Legend, hope Born to Defend & Shaolin Temple come this year too. Is there a decent version of Kiss of the Dragon? Great film but since the original dvd release i've not owned it on blu ray.

There is a nice German Mediabook, with an interesting interview of Jet Li as bonus.

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
51 minutes ago, andy338 said:

The UK BD is from way back in 2006. I might dig it out later to have a look!

23 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

The UK BD is from way back in 2006. I might dig it out later to have a look!

Yeah I remember passing on the the UK blu ray at the time as it got poor reviews due to a lack of extras and with some stating the dvd even looked better. It'd be great if 88Films could get hold of it and give it the release it deserves.

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
1 hour ago, andy338 said:

Yeah I remember passing on the the UK blu ray at the time as it got poor reviews due to a lack of extras and with some stating the dvd even looked better. It'd be great if 88Films could get hold of it and give it the release it deserves.

Trouble is it's with Fox and therefore Disney, who rarely if ever licenses out to other labels these days.

ShawAngela
4 hours ago, pachito23 said:

Slow down.....my postwoman is always complaining about the many packages I am getting

:monk_laughing:

7 hours ago, pachito23 said:

Can't wait to finally get a decent release of Fist of Legend on blu ray. The French version is OOP and the one listed on ebay is 50 euros...

If anybody is listening, I am also in for Fong Sai Yuk. Please, pretty please...

Actually she should be happy. It's job security for her knowing she has customers like you on her route.:laugh

• Haha 1

Drunksnake

Call me crazy, but would love a hybrid audio for this. Original Cantonese with the Miramax score would be awesome.355157_slip.jpg.9e4192a469f1a39e81b9a3a4b433c8ce.jpg.cfdc741dd3d4a29dd1878045f210bb5a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

8 minutes ago, Drunksnake said:

Call me crazy, but would love a hybrid audio for this. Original Cantonese with the Miramax score would be awesome.355157_slip.jpg.9e4192a469f1a39e81b9a3a4b433c8ce.jpg.cfdc741dd3d4a29dd1878045f210bb5a.jpg

I would love to get a hybrid of the original Cantonese mono track for the dialogue scenes, and the original Mandarin mono track for the fight scenes.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, pachito23 said:

My mailman told me the other day I'm the king of his route of small packages (I didn't tell him they were movies). I took that as dude you're a pain in the ass lol.

• Haha 2

ChillyChong

Fist of legend pre order is active.not top tier jet li but showdown against billy chow is brilliant and reason enough to buy.

• Confused 1

ShawAngela
1 hour ago, ChillyChong said:

Fist of legend pre order is active.not top tier jet li but showdown against billy chow is brilliant and reason enough to buy.

Where ? I didn't see it on their site.

ChillyChong
7 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Where ? I didn't see it on their site.

Well they posted in fb preorders are alive.sorry i did not take better look, using net with phone and it lags..edit in amazon uk

Edited by ChillyChong
  • Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
On 2/12/2024 at 11:20 AM, Daxtreme said:

Also worth mentioning (how did I even forget about this?) but The Inspector Wears Skirts 4 has Cynthia Khan and Moon Lee join the cast of the previous 3 (which includes Kara Hui, who finally gets to fight here, among others), and the final fight is them teaming up against a bad guy for a lengthy and explosive fight sequence, so that goes without saying that this fact alone should make it rocket higher on most martial arts' fans watchlist priority.

I did not remember all that (the last time I saw it was on VHS). Thanks for the info.

20 hours ago, ChillyChong said:

Wow! Not "top tier Jet LI"?! :ooh: I totally respect your opinion @ChillyChong, but I also find it extremely surprising. For me, FIST OF LEGEND is at the very top, his absolute best film, with ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA 1 and 2 and SHAOLIN TEMPLE  just beneath it. I'm curious, which do you consider Jet's top-tier movies?

For me, FIST OF LEGEND is the perfect showcase for both Jet Li's acting and physical skills while he was at the top of his game. It's a classic story, a retelling of Bruce Lee's 1972 FIST OF FURY, with all the best tropes of the genre. Its mix of martial arts philosophy and pure, adrenalized action is exactly what I want from a kung fu movie, and it features a great cast playing appealing characters. I also appreciate the thoughtfulness in its exploration of racial tensions and understanding and acceptance. This one has a real heart to it, and I still feel both emotionally moved by the story and thrilled by the action even after seeing it countless times. The performance/scenes featuring Yasuaki Kurata alone make this a classic for me.

I've daydreamed about a perfect release of this film- one with the original credits, a great PQ, accurately translated subtitles, the ending intact, etc, and I know I'm not alone. Hopefully, this will be the ultimate, worthy-of-the-film release that we've all been waiting for. My fingers are crossed that they'll include a hybrid version with the extra Taiwanese scenes which I think make the movie even better, too. I'm so happy that 88 Films is putting this out and predict they'll do it right.

• Like 10
  • Love 2
  • Buddha Bless You 3

Tomowen79

Have to agree with you Kung Fu Bob. If I was going to show someone a Jet Li movie it wold easily be this. The fights are him at his best. I was lucky enough to be at The Prince Charles Cinema when this was played and he made an appearance. As the following film Black Mask was being played I think everyone in attendance was still thinking about Fist Of Legend. Great experience.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

starschwar

Island of Fire?! When was that announced?  Are we getting the longer Taiwan cut?

Edited by starschwar
Removed potentially incorrect information from faulty memory.
  • Like 3

Finally The Holy Virgin vs The Evil Dead after 3 years of anticipation. @Irongod2112 called this and finally came to fruition.

Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 21-34-44 Holy Virgin VS Evil Dead Donnie Yen.png

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 8
  • Buddha Bless You 2

sifu iron perm
2 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

Finally The Holy Virgin vs The Evil Dead after 3 years of anticipation. @Irongod2112 called this and finally came to fruition.

Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 21-34-44 Holy Virgin VS Evil Dead Donnie Yen.png

With both nude & clothing versions to add.

• Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

May be an image of 1 person and text

Bonus Announcement (release Date TBC, probably July)
BLACK CAT II (1992) featuring a brand new 2K restoration and further restoration and grade by 88 FIlms PLUS NEW and exclusive extras featuring Jade Leung & Robin Shou AND audio commentary by the one and only Frank Djeng

• Like 5
  • Love 4