I would totally be Down for a Seasonal Films Boxset:

LEGEND OF A FIGHTER

NINJA IN THE DRAGONS DEN 🐉 

SECRET RIVALS 1 & 2

CALL ME DRAGON

TWO FOR THE ROAD

2 FISTS AGAINST THE LAW

No Retreat Bo Surrender Trilogy 

Or single releases would be ok as well.......

Come on 88 Films..... Make this happen 🙏🐉👍🥋👊💯‼️‼️

I'm in for such a set. However, “Ring Of Death” is missing here. I just recently stumbled across that movie myself. I think it's because of the title, as it sounds like a low-class 90s US martial arts flick. The film has everything that the great seasonal classics have (starting with Wong Jang Lee as the villain).

See here (unfortunately in fullscreen):

• Like 6

bickle14

Djeng confirming (after previously hinting) Black Cat II is coming from 88:

"Ever since Vinegar Syndrome announced their Black Cat Double Feature set, I’ve been inundated with inquiries by UK fans as to whether 88 Films will release Black Cat 2.
With 88’s blessings, I can confirm that, yes, Black Cat 2 is coming this year and I will be helping out with the release. In fact, I actually gave a hint for it on my IG 2 months ago with the post below. Expect a commentary and a brand new interview with Jade…and hopefully someone else as well."
  • Like 5

ChillyChong

88 hinted in fb there might be more Shaws. Which would be great, Shaw well has been pretty dry for region b buyers for a while now.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ChillyChong said:

88 hinted in fb there might be more Shaws. Which would be great, Shaw well has been pretty dry for region b buyers for a while now.

They certainly did 

IMG_1396.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Would be amazing if they did a rerun of the OOP titles like Killer Constable and Masked Avengers

• Like 6
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, bickle14 said:

They are teasing Fist of Legend on their site. Also, apparently will be in 4K.

screenshot_2024_01_23_at_12_41_27_8207ba

I'm glad 88 Films is doing the treatment (If it's likely). They keep getting better!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, DiP said:

I'm glad 88 Films is doing the treatment (If it's likely). They keep getting better!

Didn't China Star do a 4K restoration last year?

starschwar
17 hours ago, bickle14 said:

They are teasing Fist of Legend on their site. Also, apparently will be in 4K.

screenshot_2024_01_23_at_12_41_27_8207ba

In case someone in-the-know is reading this:

• The movie has a history of bad translations, usually transcribing the dub rather than localizing the real dialogue.  If Chen Zhen claims, "I don't hate," instead of "I don't know" when questioned about how he feels about Japan, it's gone wrong.
  • Even properly translated and uncut versions in recent memory are missing epilogue text that is pretty important, what with being the ending and all!  If the original film material for the epilogue is missing, it can be reconstituted.  I can provide clips or screenshots from a (low quality, degraded) VHS featuring this text in case they do not exist in higher quality somewhere. 
  • There is a longer cut of the movie that was released in Taiwan.  If that footage is included as deleted scenes, that would be great.  If an "ultimate cut" were to be done that combined all footage from both versions - that would be nothing short of legendary!

Consider me fully hyped!  Been wanting this one for a very, very long time!

Edited by starschwar
  • Like 7
  • Buddha Bless You 1

11 minutes ago, starschwar said:

In case someone in-the-know is reading this:

• The movie has a history of bad translations, usually transcribing the dub rather than localizing the real dialogue.  If Chen Zhen claims, "I don't hate," instead of "I don't know" when questioned about how he feels about Japan, it's gone wrong.
  • Even properly translated and uncut versions in recent memory are missing epilogue text that is pretty important, what with being the ending at all!  If the original film material for the epilogue is missing, it can be reconstituted.  I can provide clips or screenshots from a (low quality, degraded) VHS featuring this text in case they do not exist in higher quality somewhere. 
  • There is a longer cut of the movie that was released in Taiwan.  If that footage is included as deleted scenes, that would be great.  If an "ultimate cut" were to be done that combined all footage from both versions - that would be nothing short of legendary!

Consider me fully hyped!  Been wanting this one for a very, very long time!

Right on! Another thing that has bugged me even in the HK cut of the movie is the sound effects during the fight scenes. On several occassions, when punches and kicks are blocked the hit sounds are on. So when you hear the hit sounds on punches/kicks hitting and being blocked, it gives out a vibe of the punches/kicks being overpowered regardless. In the Taiwanese cut, things are like it supposed to be: Hit sounds are on when punches/kicks are landing, and block sounds when they are being blocked.

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Another Jet Li... yes baby. Day one purchase for me.

Step by step we are heading towards Fongsaiyuk and New legend etc. 

But please please please give them the deluxe treatment. And kungfu Bob artwork

• Buddha Bless You 1

14 minutes ago, AslanBey said:

Another Jet Li... yes baby. Day one purchase for me.

Step by step we are heading towards Fongsaiyuk and New legend etc. 

But please please please give them the deluxe treatment. And kungfu Bob artwork

Are you the @AslanBeyihat's on YouTube with the nice hifi systems?

With Jasper Sharp in the mix at 88, I'm hoping for more Japanese releases to be announced. The last trilogy was a bit underwhelming as I already had the Unearthed Blu rays & the uncut German of Tokyo Decadence.

• Love 1

Drunken Monk

Would have preferred an Inspector Wears Skirts box set, if I'm honest. But I'll pick them all up.

• Like 3

lastninja

I see it completely different. I welcome the individual publications. The films are given the honor they deserve, with their own covers, etc.

• Like 2

Super Ninja

Individual for me as well. I dig those Inspector covers... artwork, colors, black cases, the whole thing.

Defo getting all three.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, bickle14 said:

img_0487_cc6c26f51a29824d3ce8860423ccba8
img_0488_55c08a54e6661a7317c6c18566da692
img_0489_03c3e45029962d3b3d08e4358fa82cc

I see they have since listed the cover for Fearless Hyena II as "temp artwork" & listed both Inspector Wears Skirts 3 & 4 as region A & B.

• Like 3

starschwar

Very curious about FH2 in terms of extras.  Any attempt to reconstruct the movie that some of the footage was intended for that was scrapped in favor of FH1 would be quite interesting.  As well as analysis into just what the hell the movie is, how it was put together, and Jackie's level of cooperation.

So... Magnificent Bodyguards will be the last of the Lo Wei era, huh?  Hope it's because of 3D!

1 hour ago, DiP said:

May releases... and Fist of Legend (bluray and 4K UHD) is one of them!!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/C3JTyGJMaQ4/?igsh=MXAzdTNoYXp6Y3JtaA==

Nice. Is that a @KUNG FU BOB cover? The previous UK and US release was cut right? The ending wasn't shown with the text explaining what happened with the Jing Wu school?

355157_slip.jpg

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 6