The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

32 minutes ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Fun fact! - 

On the Vinegar Syndrome release of 'Magic Crystal' Frank Djeng brought along his old Tai Seng audio commentary buddy Ric Meyers for the ride.

For his audio commentary on the 88 Films release of 'Magic Crystal', it seems like he's already regretting his decision, and the commentary track is back to just Djeng by himself.

When Frank does a commentary with someone he sometimes does a solo one too so he can get more info in. He has do e this with Police Story 3. Eurekas release had him partnered with F.J. DeSanto but he went solo for 88's release.

The Postman fights back has a commentary with Frank and the director plus a solo one.

Legendary Weapons Of China has two from Frank and so does a few others.

• Like 2

aucW13t_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Bonus Materials

Brand New 2K Restoration From the Original Camera Negatives

High Definition (1080p) Presentation in 1.85:1 Aspect Ratio

2.0 DTS-HD MA Cantonese Soundtrack with newly translated English Subtitles

2.0 DTS-HD MA English Dub Soundtrack

Audio commentary with Asian cinema expert Frank Djeng

Interview with Actor Anthony Carpio

Leading the Top Squad - An Interview with Director Wellson Chin

Hong Kong Trailer

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, nahnahnah said:

A listing was also found for a release of the Taiwanese historical epic Beauty of Beauties. 

Do you mean Xi Shi, the beauty of beauties 1956 with Li Lihua ? Or the 1965 one Hsi Shi, the beauty of beauties with Chiang Ching ?

And one of thes would be released by 88 ? If so, it's a really good thing !

Edited by ShawAngela
  • Like 1

There is good sale on 88 site some quite new titles(and lots of older ones) for £8.99

As not seen any of Inspector movies am actually glad they are not in boxset. If don`t like first movie won`t bother with sequels then.

The first is ok, perhaps the better mix of comedy and action. But a very mild recommendation only. Second is a series of skits with a tacked on action finale, third wasn't much better bur ironically 4 was a bit more lively.

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
2 hours ago, ChillyChong said:

If don`t like first movie won`t bother with sequels then.

Careful of that approach, imagine what you'd be missing out on with the 'Undisputed' franchise! :tongueout

• Like 4

ironfistedmonk

I didn't mind the comedy in Inspector Wears Skirts 2, the only real action is the finale though so if you just want fisticuffs this one might not be for you

6 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Careful of that approach, imagine what you'd be missing out on with the 'Undisputed' franchise! :tongueout

Lol..part 2 was incredible because of Boyka and #3 even delivered greats,#4 was lot weaker, whole script imo was silly. Ex-con expert hard as nails fighter loaded with cash wants to do fights by rules in european rings..

9 hours ago, Drunksnake said:

Only licensed for six months apparently so thought I'd get it.20231104_123242.thumb.jpg.0b100c10ec76814ea3a1135ccdee608d.jpg

Will Eddie Yang get a slap if he doesn't catch it within the six months?

• Haha 1

Killer Meteor
On 11/3/2023 at 5:45 AM, One Armed Boxer said:

Fun fact! - 

On the Vinegar Syndrome release of 'Magic Crystal' Frank Djeng brought along his old Tai Seng audio commentary buddy Ric Meyers for the ride.

For his audio commentary on the 88 Films release of 'Magic Crystal', it seems like he's already regretting his decision, and the commentary track is back to just Djeng by himself.

I winced my way through the Mike and Arne extra on BEACH OF THE WAR GODS recently. On the one hand, they're fun guys. On the other, they both keep mispronouncing Lo Wei as Lo REI, and seem to think Jimmy Wang Yu made his leading man debut with GOLDEN SWALLOW...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Master with OK Fingers
On 10/19/2023 at 2:27 PM, Graysman said:

Another fantastic release from 88 films 

IMG_1248.jpeg

Just had my copy come through and looking forward to watching. It's been a long time. But what is with the thin case? Are 88 moving over the the US style cases now? I hope not as they give off a cheap anything will do vibe to me!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Master with OK Fingers said:

Just had my copy come through and looking forward to watching. It's been a long time. But what is with the thin case? Are 88 moving over the the US style cases now? I hope not as they give off a cheap anything will do vibe to me!

Edit it is 😅

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Master with OK Fingers said:

I don't like them at all, they don't fit in my disc storage drawer that has slots the size of regular blu rays and they look out of place next to regular size releases in my collection. I believe they'll be using these for future releases. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, andy338 said:

I don't like them at all, they don't fit in my disc storage drawer that has slots the size of regular blu rays and they look out of place next to regular size releases in my collection. I believe they'll be using these for future releases. 

I suppose everything these days is 'all America'. Even words like thru and gotten/garbage/homicide etc are creeping into Britain, so I suppose 88 thinks we love all things America.

It's probably most likely down to less plastic, less extras like posters. HK blu ray's are on the slimline design too.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Yggdrasil said:

I suppose everything these days is 'all America'. Even words like thru and gotten/garbage/homicide etc are creeping into Britain, so I suppose 88 thinks we love all things America.

It's probably most likely down to less plastic, less extras like posters. HK blu ray's are on the slimline design too.

88Films did a poll on facebook or instagram asking people if they preferred the blue or black cases and the overwhelming majority chose black but it occurred to me that many people responding could be in the US or other countries where they already have them so naturally they would like them. As the change only affects UK customers it'd be interesting if they could just poll us.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, andy338 said:

88Films did a poll on facebook or instagram asking people if they preferred the blue or black cases and the overwhelming majority chose black but it occurred to me that many people responding could be in the US or other countries where they already have them so naturally they would like them. As the change only affects UK customers it'd be interesting if they could just poll us.

Black cases are normally for 4K cases. They do look better than the blue cases, I must admit, and certainly better than the transparent cases.

Edited by Yggdrasil

On 11/3/2023 at 3:34 PM, ShawAngela said:

Do you mean Xi Shi, the beauty of beauties 1956 with Li Lihua ? Or the 1965 one Hsi Shi, the beauty of beauties with Chiang Ching ?

And one of thes would be released by 88 ? If so, it's a really good thing !

The '65 version. Already up for pre-order now.

Screenshot_2023-11-11 PRE-ORDER - The Beauty Of Beauties.jpg

Screenshot_2023-11-11 The Beauty of Beauties Blu-ray (Xī shī Hsi Shih 西施).png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

The '65 version. Already up for pre-order now.

Screenshot_2023-11-11 PRE-ORDER - The Beauty Of Beauties.jpg

Screenshot_2023-11-11 The Beauty of Beauties Blu-ray (Xī shī Hsi Shih 西施).png

From where do you post this picture ? I can't see this movie on the 88 site, and when I went on the MVD site shown by someone else on a previous site I didn't find any information about how to pay there...

Also, I can't find The medallion on the 88 site.

5 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

From where do you post this picture ? I can't see this movie on the 88 site, and when I went on the MVD site shown by someone else on a previous site I didn't find any information about how to pay there...

Also, I can't find The medallion on the 88 site.

Here's The Medallion:

https://88-films.myshopify.com/products/the-medallion

I found that picture at the pre-order page at orbitdvd:

https://www.orbitdvd.com/collections/pre-orders/products/pre-order-the-beauty-of-beauties

• Buddha Bless You 1