The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

21 minutes ago, ironfistedmonk said:

Drunken Cracker, think I've starred in that movie a number of times

I love your work on Crackhead in the Eagles Shadow

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

I know I'm like one month late but I want to chime in on Inspector Wears Skirts. I think you shouldn't so readily discard this movie because it has less action.

First of all, the action in the movie (when it happens) is legitimately great. After all, the action was choreographed by the Jackie Chan Stuntmen Association (There aren't that many, I made a list of such movies). You should always watch movies choreographed by the JCSA pre-2000 if "insane action that you can't find anywhere else" is what you're looking for (aren't we all?)

Second, you might actually like the comedic parts? I thought they were somewhat different from what I'm used to with HK movies. It's more light-hearted, definitely focused on the women and their feelings, it was interesting, at least to me. I surprisingly liked this movie, the whole thing.

I say give it a shot.

As for me, I will be buying this release.

I agree, personal classic for me .  The movie only has two action sequences ,  but it’s still a pretty good watch with some fun training sequences and some good character moments . 

4 stars……….oh,  Billy Lau also gets his ass kicked by Kara Hui in one scene so that bumps it to 5 stars.

Also, did anyone else find it strange Cynthia Rothrock disappeared during the last few minutes of the final fight ?

• Like 1

On 8/28/2023 at 10:56 PM, Gung Fu Movie Guy said:

'undercranking is shooting film at a lower frame rate then the standard 24 FPS. First time I ever saw it was when keystone cops was shown on tv when I was a kid. No one does it more then Donnie Yen. Saw the Hi-yah trailer for 'Fist Of Fury' no wonder I've never watched the vcd boxset I have of the series.

Undercranking has been used by everyone in Hong Kong cinema so there ain't no single actor/filmmaker that "does it more". Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, Bill Yuen, Jet Li, Donnie Yen, Yuen Woo-Ping, Corey Yuen, Ching Siu-Tung... I can go on forever. The 70s, the 80s, and the 90s was the epitome of undercranking in Hong Kong action film-making.

In terms of worst undercranking in fight scenes, watch Godfrey Ho's movies. Far more cartoonish than anything that Donnie did in the mid and late 90s.

Edited by DiP

Gung Fu Movie Guy
13 hours ago, DiP said:

Undercranking has been used by everyone in Hong Kong cinema so there ain't no single actor/filmmaker that "does it more". Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, Bill Yuen, Jet Li, Donnie Yen, Yuen Woo-Ping, Corey Yuen, Ching Siu-Tung... I can go on forever. The 70s, the 80s, and the 90s was the epitome of undercranking in Hong Kong action film-making.

In terms of worst undercranking in fight scenes, watch Godfrey Ho's movies. Far more cartoonish than anything that Donnie did in the mid and late 90s.

Let me put it another way I think Donnie did it to the extreme especially in his earlier movies.  And you can keep your Godfrey Ho movies :lol: There is enough good movies I don't have the time to watch. 

On 8/29/2023 at 5:34 PM, Daxtreme said:

First of all, the action in the movie (when it happens) is legitimately great. After all, the action was choreographed by the Jackie Chan Stuntmen Association (There aren't that many, I made a list of such movies). You should always watch movies choreographed by the JCSA pre-2000 if "insane action that you can't find anywhere else" is what you're looking for (aren't we all?)

Thanks for the link. This list reminded me to finally check out Naughty Boys. I've had it lying around for ages.

2 hours ago, Gung Fu Movie Guy said:

Let me put it another way I think Donnie did it to the extreme especially in his earlier movies.  And you can keep your Godfrey Ho movies :lol: There is enough good movies I don't have the time to watch. 

Then you haven't seen enough to know who does it more, and what real speed on film looks like. Try finding HK action movies with no undercranking out of 99% of everything done in the 70s, 80s and 90s...

5 hours ago, Gung Fu Movie Guy said:

Are you trying to say Donnie Yen did crack?

14 hours ago, DiP said:

The Last Blood and Long Arm of the Law 1-2 are now listed in the pre-order section.

https://88-films.myshopify.com/collections/pre-orders/products/the-long-arm-of-the-law-1-2-deluxe-collectors-edition

I have a sneaking suspicion that LaotL will be delayed... They have alot of movies releasing in a small window, that's not there style

FIGHT BACK TO SCHOOL (Sept 11 UK)

The Postman Fights Back (Sept 12 US)

TWIN DRAGONS (Sept 19 UK)

The Last Blood (Sept 26 WW)

Long Arm Of The Law (Sept 26 WW)

I Guess we'll see!! It's a awesome month non the less.. especially with the TI Lung/Chiang Set and She Shoots Straight also!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigDruDogg said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that LaotL will be delayed... They have alot of movies releasing in a small window, that's not there style

FIGHT BACK TO SCHOOL (Sept 11 UK)

The Postman Fights Back (Sept 12 US)

TWIN DRAGONS (Sept 19 UK)

The Last Blood (Sept 26 WW)

Long Arm Of The Law (Sept 26 WW)

I Guess we'll see!! It's a awesome month non the less.. especially with the TI Lung/Chiang Set and She Shoots Straight also!!

Delays are good in many ways. That means the staff are doing their best to check for errors and stuffing their products a bit to customers' satisfaction. I don't mind.

• Like 4

Gung Fu Movie Guy
On 8/30/2023 at 5:12 PM, DiP said:

Then you haven't seen enough to know who does it more, and what real speed on film looks like. Try finding HK action movies with no undercranking out of 99% of everything done in the 70s, 80s and 90s...

Been watching Hong Kong movies for nearly 40 years :lol:

• Like 2

20 hours ago, DiP said:

Delays are good in many ways. That means the staff are doing their best to check for errors and stuffing their products a bit to customers' satisfaction. I don't mind.

Saves my wallet from getting a beating.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gung Fu Movie Guy said:

Been watching Hong Kong movies for nearly 40 years :lol:

And yet haven't come to the conclusion that the majority of HK action movies are undercranked... :coveredlaugh

• Haha 1

On 8/29/2023 at 7:38 PM, Graysman said:

To cracking 88films releases 

IMG_1109.jpeg

IMG_1111.jpeg

Looks great in a picture frame I must say. Did you buy the frames from say Amazon or made them yourself or found a company that makes bespoke frames?

Edited by Yggdrasil
  • Like 1

Gung Fu Movie Guy
16 hours ago, DiP said:

And yet haven't come to the conclusion that the majority of HK action movies are undercranked... :coveredlaugh

I never said that did I?  I know most action scenes in Hong Kong are undercranked to some degree or another. I said in my view Donnie Yen goes to the extreme with it. 

16 hours ago, JCFan2024 said:

No,  you said undercracking

Get a grip. You pulling people up for a small spelling mistake? 

8 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

Oh, thanks for that, @Graysman. I presume the glass didn't come with it?

Nah it’s like a really clear plastic you have to peel off the film on both sides very easy to do. The frames are very light in weight easy for sticking or hanging on the wall.

Edited by Graysman
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Graysman said:

Nah it’s like a really clear plastic you have to peel off the film on both sides very easy to do. The frames are very light in weight easy for sticking or hanging on the wall.

Thanks very much @Graysman

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gung Fu Movie Guy said:

I never said that did I?  I know most action scenes in Hong Kong are undercranked to some degree or another. I said in my view Donnie Yen goes to the extreme with it.

But that's what you're implying when saying that "nobody does it more" and "going to the extreme". And this is based on what... Fist of Fury and his earlier movies? And that automatically makes him a heavy user of undercranking in every other movie based on just some productions? 🤷‍♂️

You're not seeing the big picture here. Watch any Jackie, Sammo, Bill and Jet Li movies for obvious undercranking. Everybody in Hong Kong action cinema has undercranked their action scenes.