The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

On 8/17/2023 at 5:13 PM, KUNG FU BOB said:

As was mentioned above, it's mainly a comedy, but the action is outstanding! I love the climax especially, with Kara Hui, Cynthia Rothrock, Jeff Falcon, and more getting to look as good as they ever have onscreen. It's nowhere near as crude in humor as THE LUCKY STARS films. The cast is full of beautiful stars, and I'm definitely picking this one up.

I definitely agree with you there. The climax is fantastic, and the humor isn't as crude of the Lucky Stars.

16 hours ago, nahnahnah said:

367409668-7253745004639925-3108076778811

EXTRAS:
Brand new 2K Remaster from the Original Negatives presented ion High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray in 1.85:1 Aspect Ratio
Original Cantonese Mono with Newly Translated English Subtitles
English Mono Dub
Audio Commentary by Hong Kong Film Expert Frank Djeng
“Fight Like a Girl” - Cynthia Rothrock on Magic Crystal
“Fast as Lightning” - Richard Norton on Magic Crystal
English Trailer

Out of everything coming out, I'm actually most excited for this. The Magic Crystal is a ton of fun. The comedy is bonkers, and the action is excellent. And unlike Inspector Wears Skirts, The Magic Crystal has fight scenes somewhat frequently throughout. Never thought I'd see the day where this gets a 2k restoration, but I will happily support it.

14 hours ago, Graeme Of Death said:

Liking we're seeing some more of the "rarer" HK 80s films that were never released by HKL or Dragon Dynasty back in the day.

Hope to see Paper Marriage, Rosa, The Champion, Enter The Fat Dragon, Kid From Tibet, Pedicab Driver some time soon.

The Inspector Wears Skirts must be one of the few films from this era I've never seen. If it's got the Lucky Stars level of comedy minus the fighting I dread to think what it'll be like :)

As Kung Fu Bob said, it's not nearly as crude/offensive as the Lucky Stars films, but still leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Agent U said:

88 Films is releasing 'The Medallion' on Blu-Ray in the UK.

https://88-films.myshopify.com/collections/pre-orders/products/the-medallion

This is apparently the first Blu-Ray edition to retain all the deleted/extended scenes (there's 15 of those!), as the previous US and Australia releases only included a couple.

The mere notion of over a dozen scenes deemed not good enough to have been in The Medallion shakes me to my very core.  That was a rough one to get through in theaters way back when. 

That said, it's promising to see 88 delving into Jackie's 21st century catalogue.  I'd love to see what they might do with New Police Story or CZ12...

I'd prefer it if they were to finish up the Lo Wei era first, though.  Magnificent Bodyguards needs reassessment with its long-absent third dimension.  And Fearless Hyena II, now inducted into the prestigious Criterion Collection must surely warrant a standalone remaster.  Even if its status as a movie is tenuous!  And some other neglected 70s-90s stuff if possible!

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer
49 minutes ago, Agent U said:

88 Films is releasing 'The Medallion' on Blu-Ray in the UK.

https://88-films.myshopify.com/collections/pre-orders/products/the-medallion

Assuming we won’t be getting any special features that include interviews with the writer and producer of this one for fear of it being boycotted (or is just the fact that they’re going to release it enough of a reason to boycott in itself?).

16 hours ago, Graeme Of Death said:

Liking we're seeing some more of the "rarer" HK 80s films that were never released by HKL or Dragon Dynasty back in the day.

Way more gems that go beyond the more popular titles and deserves as much love.

Hopefully they can get to The Myth, Rob B-Hood and The Accidental Spy.

Ill get The Medallion for the stake of collecting but i prefer New Police Story over it. The Medallion is okay but it's one of those missed opportunities that i know it could'ev been better. I don't care for the commentary the producer's on that track annoyed me they couldn't even remember Nic Tse's name who had a cameo as a waiter.

3 hours ago, starschwar said:

The mere notion of over a dozen scenes deemed not good enough to have been in The Medallion shakes me to my very core.  That was a rough one to get through in theaters way back when. 

That said, it's promising to see 88 delving into Jackie's 21st century catalogue.  I'd love to see what they might do with New Police Story or CZ12...

I'd prefer it if they were to finish up the Lo Wei era first, though.  Magnificent Bodyguards needs reassessment with its long-absent third dimension.  And Fearless Hyena II, now inducted into the prestigious Criterion Collection must surely warrant a standalone remaster.  Even if its status as a movie is tenuous!  And some other neglected 70s-90s stuff if possible!

I think FH2 is better than it's status. People flame it lot because of recycled footage and jc replicant but it has some good kung fu action and comedy is not worst kind of.dunno if would buy 88 treatment.maybe but no for chinese zodiac

In case my snark on FH2 and Medallion were a bit too strong:  Despite my opinions, I do legitimately want all these movies to eventually get high quality, uncut home media releases.  This genre has been mistreated for decades, we are living in a golden era where the wrongs of old are being made right.  There's no "but I don't like it so it shouldn't get released" exception.  Indeed, I might wind up liking (or at least, finding new appreciation for) Fearless Hyena II compared to the old Simitar VHS I saw 20-25 years back.  I wound up enjoying all of the Lo Wei era stuff 88 put out thus far, much more than I did the first time around.  A good remaster can change everything.  They all deserve that chance.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Assuming we won’t be getting any special features that include interviews with the writer and producer of this one for fear of it being boycotted (or is just the fact that they’re going to release it enough of a reason to boycott in itself?).

The special features seem to be the same that were already on the DVD releases. The previous Blu-ray versions just left out most of the deleted scenes for some reason.

Anyway, what the movie definitely got was a revised synopsis:

After high-kicking Hong Kong cop Eddie Yang (Jackie Chan, ‘Rush Hour’) dies in the line of duty, he finds himself reanimated by an ancient mystic talisman, now with superpowers at his disposal! His return stuns his former girlfriend Nicole James (Claire Forlani, ‘Meet Joe Black’) and partner Arthur Watson (Lee Evans, ‘There’s Something About Mary’). The trio must rejoin forces to take on a similarly supernaturally enhanced villain, Snakehead (Julian Sands, ‘Warlock’) and his right- hand man Calvin (Scott Adkins, ‘John Wick 4’). Shot in English in the UK by director Gordon Chan (‘Fist of Legend’) and choreographer Sammo Hung (‘Ip Man’), ‘The Medallion’ delivers a whole new kind of magic to a Jackie Chan action epic!

Pretty sure in the movie I watched long ago 'Calvin' wasn't all that pivotal, and in fact had no lines or even a name (imdb has Scott's role as only 'Henchman'). In fact, I'm pretty sure the right-hand man was another guy, whom all the henchmen answered to.

1 hour ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Black-silk underwear in HD!

Oh, saucy, Mr Perfection/California!

Did they run out of film stock during the shooting of that introductory scene between him and Danielle? I wonder if Jean-Claude demanded retakes: ‘Oh, I’m sorry. I don’t think we got that one quite right. Can we go again, please?’

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, chen lung said:

Oh, saucy, Mr Perfection/California!

Did they run out of film stock during the shooting of that introductory scene between him and Danielle? I wonder if Jean-Claude demanded retakes: ‘Oh, I’m sorry. I don’t think we got that one quite right. Can we go again, please?’

HAHA! :D

I'm sure Van Damme was like 'I love the energy and passion in this scene and you're doing great but I have an idea. Now just hear me out. How about we try this with no black silk underwear.................'

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

I hardly ever see 88 films do boxsets? 

They will release Stephen Chow's Fight Back to School trilogy as a boxset on September 11 (I got my boxset a few days ago :cool). They will also release the first two Long Arm of the Law movies as a boxset at the end of that month.

Edited by DiP
  • Buddha Bless You 1

5 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Black-silk underwear in HD!

You of all people should know i would never in my life wear black silk underwear!

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Graysman said:

The postman fights back

IMG_1103.jpeg

How ist his movie in general? And is it martial arts based?

To which movie can we compare it?

One Armed Boxer
5 minutes ago, AslanBey said:

I reviewed it back in 2015 which you can check out here.

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

46 minutes ago, AslanBey said:

I'm certainly not as a skilled reviewer as @One Armed Boxeris, but when I discovered this movie a few months ago, I LOVED it, and wondered why I had waited for so long to get it. I loved Chow Yun Fat's performance, and of course Beardy's one too. The fights were great for me. The sceneries were really beautiful.

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1