The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

30 minutes ago, BigDruDogg said:

I also said which ones have a good chance of being released and we all know The Killer and Hard Boiled and probably the better tomorrow trilogy are in rights purgatory currently with not a high chance of seeing a release of any of those

How is The Inspector Wears Skirts? Is it similar to Royal Warriors and She Shoots Straight in that it's a fast-paced action film?

3 minutes ago, nahnahnah said:

How is The Inspector Wears Skirts? Is it similar to Royal Warriors and She Shoots Straight in that it's a fast-paced action film?

way less action at least in my case

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nahnahnah said:

Not a fan, I feel it’s aged very poorly. Good action at the beginning and end, but it’s almost nonstop “comedy” for the remainder. Comparable to a Lucky Stars movie (though I much prefer the Lucky Stars movies).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, actionfan93 said:

way less action at least in my case

Oof, I was hoping it to be sort of a action-extravaganza. I will have to temper my expectations now.

5 minutes ago, KenHashibe said:

Not a fan, I feel it’s aged very poorly. Good action at the beginning and end, but it’s almost nonstop “comedy” for the remainder. Comparable to a Lucky Stars movie (though I much prefer the Lucky Stars movies).

Is the humor similar to the Lucky Stars films, in that it contains a lot of sexual-assault/rapey "jokes" or is it a different type of humor? Regardless, it looks like this is something I will have to watch before making a purchase.

Edited by nahnahnah

10 minutes ago, nahnahnah said:

Oof, I was hoping it to be sort of a action-extravaganza. I will have to temper my expectations now.

Is the humor similar to the Lucky Stars films, in that it contains a lot of sexual-assault/rapey "jokes" or is it a different type of humor? Regardless, it looks like this is something I will have to watch before making a purchase.

It’s been a while since I’ve seen it, but I remember it being more sexist/stereotypical humor about women than straight-up assault. But again, it’s been a while so I might be wrong there. I think you’re on the right track though, maybe give it a watch before purchasing.

BTW this isn’t to insult who may love the film. I’m aware there’s a decent amount of women who do find it empowering. I’m just not a fan.

• Like 2

• Administrator

1 minute ago, nahnahnah said:

Is the humor similar to the Lucky Stars films, in that it contains a lot of sexual-assault/rapey "jokes" or is it a different type of humor?

As was mentioned above, it's mainly a comedy, but the action is outstanding! I love the climax especially, with Kara Hui, Cynthia Rothrock, Jeff Falcon, and more getting to look as good as they ever have onscreen. It's nowhere near as crude in humor as THE LUCKY STARS films. The cast is full of beautiful stars, and I'm definitely picking this one up.

THE BLUE JEAN MONSTER features a rare starring role for Shing Fui-On, aka. "Big Silly Head", the main baddie in John Woo's THE KILLER. This one is pure Hong Kong entertainment- off-the-wall craziness! I rented this from a Chinatown shop in the early '90s based solely on the amusing title, and soon after my (future) wife and I were watching in sheer amazement at the eye-popping insanity on display. Great action (Phillip "The Lizard" Kwok and Paul Wong Kwan who lent his skills to PROJECT A, TIGER CAGE, and many more), irreverent humor, gorgeous ladies, and madcap mayhem. I can't wait to see this one in glorious HD. Any announcement on the extras yet?

• Like 7

81-CJBfg-WMBL-AC-SL1500.jpg

EXTRAS
‘Enter the Dragon’ director Robert Clouse delivers a fun fight fest that has become a bona fide fan favourite!
Brand new 2K Remaster from the Original Negatives presented on High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray in 2.39:1 Aspect Ratio
English Mono
Optional English SDH
Audio Commentary with Kim Newman and Barry Forshaw
Audio Commentary with Frank Djeng and FJ DeSanto
Archive Interview with Jackie Chan
Interview with Producer Raymond Chow
Rumble in the USA, Jackie Chan Takes on America
Battle Hardened - David West on Battle Creek Brawl
Stills Gallery
Theatrical Trailer
USA The Big Brawl Trailer

81lvg1-Vwy3-L-AC-SL1500.jpg
Edited by nahnahnah
  • Like 5

367409668-7253745004639925-3108076778811

EXTRAS:
Brand new 2K Remaster from the Original Negatives presented ion High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray in 1.85:1 Aspect Ratio
Original Cantonese Mono with Newly Translated English Subtitles
English Mono Dub
Audio Commentary by Hong Kong Film Expert Frank Djeng
“Fight Like a Girl” - Cynthia Rothrock on Magic Crystal
“Fast as Lightning” - Richard Norton on Magic Crystal
English Trailer

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Didn't 88 already released Battle Creek Brawl ?

They did but this is a new transfer.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, KenHashibe said:

Does not sound encouraging. Don`t like comedy much unless it`s with sarcasm&black humour and stuff there hardly is.Not sure about Magic Crystal either so only sure purchase of these announcements looks like will be Blue Jean Thing. Pity still no Dragon Fist upgrade, Battle Creek I would not take even as free. 

Still it is quite good 2nd half of 2023 considering 88 films. Double impact, taxi hunter&standard versions of On the run&righting wrongs are to grab.

Graeme Of Death

Liking we're seeing some more of the "rarer" HK 80s films that were never released by HKL or Dragon Dynasty back in the day.

Hope to see Paper Marriage, Rosa, The Champion, Enter The Fat Dragon, Kid From Tibet, Pedicab Driver some time soon.

The Inspector Wears Skirts must be one of the few films from this era I've never seen. If it's got the Lucky Stars level of comedy minus the fighting I dread to think what it'll be like :)

Edited by Graeme Of Death
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Didn't 88 already released Battle Creek Brawl ?

They are going to re-release the first 4 Jackie films they put out. New transfer, KFB artwork. Two down, two to go. The others have been teased.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ChillyChong said:

Does not sound encouraging. Don`t like comedy much unless it`s with sarcasm&black humour and stuff there hardly is.Not sure about Magic Crystal either so only sure purchase of these announcements looks like will be Blue Jean Thing. Pity still no Dragon Fist upgrade, Battle Creek I would not take even as free. 

Still it is quite good 2nd half of 2023 considering 88 films. Double impact, taxi hunter&standard versions of On the run&righting wrongs are to grab.

If Magic Crystal is the one with Cynthia Rothrock, it's excellent, you can take it.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

I actually prefer Inspector Wears Skirts to Magic Crystal. Though the latter does have better action sequences, the comedy doesn’t work for me. Inspector… has cute comedy and a nice sense of fun to it. I thoroughly enjoyed it when I watched it earlier this year. Needless to say, I’ll be picking up both.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Graeme Of Death said:

Liking we're seeing some more of the "rarer" HK 80s films that were never released by HKL or Dragon Dynasty back in the day.

Hope to see Paper Marriage, Rosa, The Champion, Enter The Fat Dragon, Kid From Tibet, Pedicab Driver some time soon.

The Inspector Wears Skirts must be one of the few films from this era I've never seen. If it's got the Lucky Stars level of comedy minus the fighting I dread to think what it'll be like :)

Sure, If Warners would let go of the rights of Pedicab Driver. Till then that won't happen as much as anyone not getting the rights to Drunken Master 2 and Rumble in The Bronx.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, nahnahnah said:

367409668-7253745004639925-3108076778811

EXTRAS:
Brand new 2K Remaster from the Original Negatives presented ion High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray in 1.85:1 Aspect Ratio
Original Cantonese Mono with Newly Translated English Subtitles
English Mono Dub
Audio Commentary by Hong Kong Film Expert Frank Djeng
“Fight Like a Girl” - Cynthia Rothrock on Magic Crystal
“Fast as Lightning” - Richard Norton on Magic Crystal
English Trailer

Wasn't Eureka gonna release this? I think 88 releasing this is even better but I could've sworn that Eureka got the rights first.

17 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

I actually prefer Inspector Wears Skirts to Magic Crystal. Though the latter does have better action sequences, the comedy doesn’t work for me. Inspector… has cute comedy and a nice sense of fun to it. I thoroughly enjoyed it when I watched it earlier this year. Needless to say, I’ll be picking up both.

They should release the complete series of the four Inspector wears skirts.

1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

If Magic Crystal is the one with Cynthia Rothrock, it's excellent, you can take it.

Sorry, I hadn't seen the above post !

The action here is great !

Both "Magic Crystal" and "Inspector Wears Skirts" are basically comedies. However, the fight scenes are among the best that 80s Hong Kong cinema has to offer.

Totally agree to Kung Fu Bob about Jeffrey Falcon. In terms of fight scenes, Inspector Wears Skirts is one of his best works and is in no way inferior to Burning Ambition.

In my opinion, Magic Crystal has the even better fight scenes of the two films. I don't know how many times I've watched the lady's fight with the knitting needles. The split in the doorway symbolizes the GwG genre so accurate you cannot describe it better with any words, oh man. Fantastic stuff and steals the show from Cindy a bit :-).

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, DiP said:

Wasn't Eureka gonna release this? I think 88 releasing this is even better but I could've sworn that Eureka got the rights first.

Nope... 88 has been teasing "MC" since December 2021. Was originally on the schedule for June 2022.

Edited by bickle14
  • Like 4