The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

Not sure if this has been brought up but I'll go with it anyway... The UK bluray of Magic Cop will be cut due to animal cruelty whereas the US bluray stays uncut.

image.thumb.png.d6c46a05f85ff230c53a70562a33b21e.png

• Like 4

5 hours ago, DiP said:

Not sure if this has been brought up but I'll go with it anyway... The UK bluray of Magic Cop will be cut due to animal cruelty whereas the US bluray stays uncut.

image.thumb.png.d6c46a05f85ff230c53a70562a33b21e.png

Bollocks. I'll get the US one then. Do we have to swap the regions to gain access to the US version on the UK one, or get the US edition from the US 88 site?

7 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

Bollocks. I'll get the US one then. Do we have to swap the regions to gain access to the US version on the UK one, or get the US edition from the US 88 site?

There's no need. Each regional bluray contains both uncensored and censored cut. Changing to region A enables the uncut version, and the cut version by changing to region B.

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

I'm late to the party but I was finally able to snag this...... I am glad I was able to find one before it sold out! I am for sure to dig in this thing this weekend. As stated before..... This is the golden age of HK cinema represented in this set! Definitely in my top 3 in box sets I currently own! Absolutely Stunning Set 🥋👊🐲👍

Screenshot_20230707-073947~2.png

Screenshot_20230707-073907~2.png

• Like 7

1 hour ago, DiP said:

There's no need. Each regional bluray contains both uncensored and censored cut. Changing to region A enables the uncut version, and the cut version by changing to region B.

Thank god! I emailed 88 films today and still waiting a reply.  Thanks a lot @DiP

I was just ready to cancel my order and buy from the US store.

Edited by Yggdrasil
  • Like 2

Listening to the audio commentary of Magic Cop because there's so much magic in the film that just went over my head, so I'm hoping Frank Djeng would spill the beans with this one.

In the 2000's, I had a Chinese mate who explained to me about the hopping vampires in Mr Vampire and that the hopping vampires can sense human breathing. It explained a lot and I had many questions. Ideal for him as he's from HK, so he was able to help me.

But on this film, jesus. So much magic that I've never seen in these Chinese films. I was completely flummoxed.

Edited by Yggdrasil
  • Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

5 hours ago, purplehassan said:

So many more cool releases coming during the last half 2023! :rockon

CANNOT WAIT

Teasermeister!

• Like 2

sifu iron perm
1 hour ago, Drunksnake said:

Teasermeister!

Battle Creek Brawl 4K 3rd realease..extra colour restoration. Extra sound input.

= )

• Like 4

14 hours ago, nahnahnah said:

Screenshot-20230809-201423-Chrome.jpg

My copy of the boxset is already on the way.

Hopefully, more classic Hong Kong titles to come. I would like to see more Donnie Yen, Jet Li, and Chow Yun-Fat.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, DiP said:

My copy of the boxset is already on the way.

Hopefully, more classic Hong Kong titles to come. I would like to see more Donnie Yen, Jet Li, and Chow Yun-Fat.

What chow yun fat titles have a good chance of being released I am not well versed in his work except for Hard Boiled,The Killer,A Better Tomorrow 2, and Replacement Killers?

1 hour ago, actionfan93 said:

What chow yun fat titles have a good chance of being released I am not well versed in his work except for Hard Boiled,The Killer,A Better Tomorrow 2, and Replacement Killers?

On 8/4/2023 at 12:01 PM, DiP said:

In terms of Chow Yun-Fat movies, I hope to see proper releases of The Story of Woo Viet, Hong Kong 1941, the A Better Tomorrow trilogy, the On Fire quadrilogy, An Autumn's Tale, Flaming Brothers, Tiger on the Beat, All About Ah Long, The Killer, Triads: The Inside Story, Once a Thief, Hard-Boiled, Full Contact, and God of Gamblers Return.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, actionfan93 said:

Another one I would add is Ann Hui's Love in a Fallen City. Second collaboration between Hui, co-star Cora Miao and Fat. It deserves a proper English friendly release. It's gotten mixed reviews but I fall in line with Kenny B's excellent review. I actually prefer it to Hong Kong 1941.

http://www.sogoodreviews.com/reviews/loveinafallencity.htm

• Like 1