The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

Irongod2112
On 5/5/2023 at 11:42 AM, nahnahnah said:

1cl2W3M_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Postman Fights Back will have the full uncut theatrical release with extra scenes never released on home video before. :)

Runs longer than all the previous released DVDs.

• Like 17
  • Buddha Bless You 4

ShawAngela
On 5/11/2023 at 5:19 AM, Irongod2112 said:

Postman Fights Back will have the full uncut theatrical release with extra scenes never released on home video before. :)

Runs longer than all the previous released DVDs.

Which, hopefully will explain some of the flows in the plot I noticed when I watched my dvd a while ago...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Which, hopefully will explain some of the flows in the plot I noticed when I watched my dvd a while ago...

Lol. I haven't swwn the film for over 20 years but it wasn't in my top 10, that's for sure.

Brandon Bentley hinted he's doing one more solo audio commentary for a Fortune Star title in his VOMO. Anyone have any further info?

Screenshot_2023-05-13 Brandon B on Twitter.png

• Like 4

starschwar
29 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

Brandon Bentley hinted he's doing one more solo audio commentary for a Fortune Star title in his VOMO. Anyone have any further info?

Screenshot_2023-05-13 Brandon B on Twitter.png

Wasn't Fantasy Mission Force teased back with the SITES Blu-Ray?  FS does seem to own the rights to that one,

One Armed Boxer
1 hour ago, Yihetuan said:

Brandon Bentley hinted he's doing one more solo audio commentary for a Fortune Star title in his VOMO.

I thought Brandon Bentley cut his ties with 88 Films last year after they’d considered accepting new interviews conducted by Bey Logan for their release of ‘Police Story 3’ (a consideration they eventually never went through with). Has he returned to the fold?

Great news if it’s true, I never understood why so many contributors threatened to stop working with 88 if they went through with working with Logan, then when they didn’t go through with it, they stopped working with them anyway.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I thought Brandon Bentley cut his ties with 88 Films last year after they’d considered accepting new interviews conducted by Bey Logan for their release of ‘Police Story 3’ (a consideration they eventually never went through with). Has he returned to the fold?

Great news if it’s true, I never understood why so many contributors threatened to stop working with 88 if they went through with working with Logan, then when they didn’t go through with it, they stopped working with them anyway.

yeah I remember that but wasn't sure if this was one of the "tying up loose ends" he was talking about or if it was for another label specifically Arrow?

Fe-difPWIAA5UGq.png

• Like 3

guys, where can I order police story 3 from 88? it is not on their website. and i cant find it on amazon. Is it OOP already? but why cant I find it on the 88 website? I didnt know that it is 4k region free with the deluxe treatment...

• Like 1

ShawAngela
5 minutes ago, AslanBey said:

guys, where can I order police story 3 from 88? it is not on their website. and i cant find it on amazon. Is it OOP already? but why cant I find it on the 88 website? I didnt know that it is 4k region free with the deluxe treatment...

Did you try zavvi and terracotta  ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DiP said:

Ebay has several copies of the bluray edition. No 4K so far though, which I'm after.

There are a couple of the 4K UHD editions on eBay but of course the sellers are asking for crazy money for them since they are out of stock everywhere.

Screenshot_2023-05-14 POLICE STORY 3 SUPER COP 4K UHD BLU-RAY 88 Films Limited Edition BRAND NEW 760137113775 eBay.png

Screenshot_2023-05-14 Police Story 3 Supercop (4K Blu-ray, 2023) NEW Jackie Chan Michelle Yeoh kung-fu 760137113775 eBay.png

• Like 1

Hilarious, claims there is no improvement?! :monk_laughing:it's almost as if people want to complain for the sake of complaining.

Screenshot_2023-05-14 The Asian Cinema Circle Facebook.png

345143793_901962617561153_6935683418658290171_n.jpg

345145882_1308733959738688_1815471921707613940_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
1 hour ago, Yihetuan said:

Hilarious, claims there is no improvement?! :monk_laughing:it's almost as if people want to complain for the sake of complaining.

There is a bit of blown out white on Chow's shirt sleeves which is a result of a camera technique/effect (I forget what it's called), but otherwise the Blu-ray picture quality is clearly blowing away that shitty DVD (which I also own). I disagree strongly with that poster's observations. And aside from from that improvement, the Blu has newly translated English subtitles, interviews, audio commentary, trailers, stills, new artwork by Sean Longmore, and booklet writings from our very own @One Armed Boxer (can't wait to read this when my copy arrives). The subs on the DVD are so bad that this is one I put off showing my son, because it absolutely interferes with enjoying the movie- trying to decipher the nonsense subs. I'm looking forward to watching the movie with him once the Blu gets here.

• Like 6
  • Buddha Bless You 1

3 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

Chow Yun Fat has the glow?

• Haha 1

ShawAngela
1 hour ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

There is a bit of blown out white on Chow's shirt sleeves which is a result of a camera technique/effect (I forget what it's called), but otherwise the Blu-ray picture quality is clearly blowing away that shitty DVD (which I also own). I disagree strongly with that poster's observations. And aside from from that improvement, the Blu has newly translated English subtitles, interviews, audio commentary, trailers, stills, new artwork by Sean Longmore, and booklet writings from our very own @One Armed Boxer (can't wait to read this when my copy arrives). The subs on the DVD are so bad that this is one I put off showing my son, because it absolutely interferes with enjoying the movie- trying to decipher the nonsense subs. I'm looking forward to watching the movie with him once the Blu gets here.

I didn't notice this kind of effect on Chow Yun Fat shirt and hands in the bluray ! I was very satisfied with it, and I'm waiting for the Spectrum boxset of the whole series to see if 88 is better or not.

There are really people who are never satisfied with what they get...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ShinJCFan said:

Chow Yun Fat has the glow?

I agree with @KUNG FU BOB that 'glare effect' looks like a deliberate effect added and not some print damage or deterioration artifact. Notice how can you can now actually tell the time on Chow Yun-fat's watch as opposed to the murky mess in the dvd but apparently that's just turning up the sharpness & this blu ray isn't worth the upgrade lol

• Like 2

starschwar
6 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

I don't think any quality comparison that uses a Youtube video for reference should be taken seriously.  I'm all for legit frame comparisons, but grabbing something that's got web compression and, more likely than not, improper deinterlacing is unprofessional.

Edited by starschwar
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, starschwar said:

I don't think any quality comparison that uses a Youtube video for reference should be taken seriously.  I'm all for legit frame comparisons, but grabbing something that's got web compression and, more likely than not, improper deinterlacing is unprofessional.

You're right!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

I agree with @KUNG FU BOB that 'glare effect' looks like a deliberate effect added and not some print damage or deterioration artifact. Notice how can you can now actually tell the time on Chow Yun-fat's watch as opposed to the murky mess in the dvd but apparently that's just turning up the sharpness & this blu ray isn't worth the upgrade lol

The blu-ray looks great to me.  I thought for a minete that Chow Yun-Fat had the glow like in The Last Dragon.

• Haha 2

I know I’m biased, but it wasn’t a very good review and should be revisited because there’s some misinformation in there.

The Hong Kong version on the UK DVD was a standards conversion and a much older transfer; the soundtrack may not have been the original mix either. As others here have mentioned (a factor often overlooked), it contains rather sub-par subtitles. Unless MIA’s hands were tied, they had no business releasing the film in that state and subsequently charging for it; even the international version on Disc 2 (same length as the Hong Kong counterpart overall, just different overlays) is in a better state (proper PAL and superior quality, albeit interlaced and 4:3).

• Like 3

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
18 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I didn't notice this kind of effect on Chow Yun Fat shirt and hands in the bluray !

There are really people who are never satisfied with what they get...

So true.

15 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

The technique is created with a Split Diopter lens. The following info explains it much better than I could and is from this source (they provide screen-shot examples there too): https://www.studiobinder.com/blog/split-diopter-lens/

"In most movies, there are two ways to approach focusing a frame. You can use deep depth of field, where everything in frame is in focus. Or you can use shallow depth of field where only the foreground, middle ground, or background is in focus (while everything else is not). 

That was until the split diopter lens came along by "splitting" the difference.

A split diopter lens is a piece of half convex glass that affixes to the main lens of the camera. This makes half the lens nearsighted while the other half remains farsighted. This creates the illusion of a deep focus. 

The item that separates this shot from a traditional deep focus is that there is no continuous depth of field. The audience can still see the space between the two objects is out of focus."

Brian DePalma uses this technique frequently (CARRIE, THE FURY, THE UNTOUCHABLES), Spielberg used it in JAWS, Tarantino in PULP FICTION, and Wong Jing in GOD OF GAMBLERS.

• Like 10
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Anyone know if there is a "standard" region A Supercop on the market yet? Or are they all still limited editions with the slipcase, book and lobby cards?