The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

One Armed Boxer
6 hours ago, ironfistedmonk said:

I've never seen any of the gambling movies, is it worth a punt?

I'd say definitely! A few more opinions on it in the dedicated thread - 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I'd say definitely! A few more opinions on it in the dedicated thread - 

I've never seen any gambling movies, same as the Godfather movies. Not my cup of tea. 

1 hour ago, saltysam said:

God Of Gamblers has arrived

Mine is on the way. Hopefully I get it before the upcoming extended weekend. The first time I saw that movie was about twenty years ago, I think.

I really liked it. :smile

Edited by lastninja
  • Like 2

For someone who owns ITLOD individually from Eureka, is there any reason why I should double dip with 88 boxset? Is the picture quality and sound quality/options identical? Or is it too soon to ask?

19 hours ago, TigerCage1990 said:

God of Gamblers just got dispatched from 88 Flims.

You know, curiosity got the better of me. I decided to have a butcher's at the trailer for God of Gamblers after reading the synopsis of it. It reminded me a little of Rainman. I liked the trailer, but still undecided whether to fork out for it.

• Like 2

TigerCage1990
1 hour ago, Yggdrasil said:

You know, curiosity got the better of me. I decided to have a butcher's at the trailer for God of Gamblers after reading the synopsis of it. It reminded me a little of Rainman. I liked the trailer, but still undecided whether to fork out for it.

I highly recommend getting God of Gamblers, It's one of Chow Yun Fat's very best outside of flims with John Woo and the late Ringo Lam.

• Like 3

ChillyChong

God of gamblers is in general good and last moments are great. Tempted to upgrade dvd but probably have to forget it for now, there is too much interesting stuff coming out in next few months+vinegar halfway sale of which I plan to get some Rothrock and Billy Blanks movies.

• Like 1

actionfan93

Grindhouse shipped my in the line of duty boxsets so I assume they are going to start shipping out from others soon

• Like 3

Drunken Monk
8 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

Not to be the contrarian but I didn’t enjoy God of Gamblers much. Make sure you don’t go in expecting an action film because it’s far from that.

5 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Not to be the contrarian but I didn’t enjoy God of Gamblers much. Make sure you don’t go in expecting an action film because it’s far from that.

Yes, that's what I had figured. 

Darth Kermit

Damn, wish it was all 4, but any is better than none! Hope the 3 and 4 get released by them someday later, same with ITLOD 5-7

• Like 2

ShawAngela
2 hours ago, nahnahnah said:

1cl2W3M_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Wow ! If there are good extras, maybe I'll get it, I so enjoyed the DVD I got a few months ago !

• Like 3

Yggdrasil
25 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Wow ! If there are good extras, maybe I'll get it, I so enjoyed the DVD I got a few months ago !

I still have the Hong Kong Legends DVD 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lilmanjs said:

Woah! The first two Long Arm movies!

FB_IMG_1683305105444.jpg

Great to see the first two Long Arm of the Law movies get some love. But how come they couldn't include part 3?

• Like 3

Drunken Monk

I didn’t care for Long Arm of the Law and have been told that part 3 is more my speed, so I’ll probably skip this set.

• Like 1

I really liked Long Arm of the Law, excellent gritty crime thriller if I recall correctly. Haven’t seen any of the others in the series. I’ll be all over that set.

• Like 5

ironfistedmonk

Yeah I wasn't in to the first Long Arm of the Law so will probably skip that one as well as the Postman film, I couldn't get in to that one either and I still have it on DVD anyway

• Like 1

Yggdrasil
2 minutes ago, ironfistedmonk said:

Yeah I wasn't in to the first Long Arm of the Law so will probably skip that one as well as the Postman film, I couldn't get in to that one either and I still have it on DVD anyway

So I'm not the only one? I've only seen the film once and here's silly olde me, thinking if I was to buy it again on blu, it be more interested than I was the first time I bought it. 

Must admit the front cover does look a lot better than the HKL cover. 

I received my copy of the 88 release of God of Gamblers, and watched it yesterday. Great HD scan with remastered subtitles, inclusion of the original mono track in uncompressed form, as well as great extras. This is the definite bluray edition of the movie, so it's highly recommended for fans. There's one thing I do wish 88 could do for future releases... Include chapter selections for certain scenes. Why nobody has even bothered to mentioned this to them is a mystery to me. 🤷‍♂️

As for the movie, it's still as great and entertaining as it has always been for me. Chow Yun-Fat displaying two sides of his versatile acting, great supporting cast, great music, great action scenes, great comedy scenes, and an overall well-structured and fresh story about gambling.

• Like 6
  • Buddha Bless You 1