The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

1 hour ago, chen lung said:

Yes. Though the standard Blu-rays are A and B in their respective countries.

You are right. Forgot about the fact that a Blu-ray is included, too.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, lastninja said:

It is a 4k UHD. Therefore no region coding. :wink

Wouw i didnt know neither that this was 4k :D damn you 88 i have to save money

• Like 1

Frank just did the audio commentary for Magic Cop with Mark Walkow. I enjoy his commentaries, so that's a plus. It's so refreshing to be able to listen to an audio commentary without one person constantly talking over and interrupting the other, name dropping for no reason & talking about stuff that's not even relevant to the film or connected in the remotest way other than to just hear himself talk.

Screenshot_2023-04-02 (2) Frank Djeng Facebook.png

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

Frank just did the audio commentary for Magic Cop with Mark Walkow. I enjoy his commentaries, so that's a plus. It's so refreshing to be able to listen to an audio commentary without one person constantly talking over and interrupting the other, name dropping for no reason & talking about stuff that's not even relevant to the film or connected in the remotest way other than to just hear himself talk.

Lol anyone in particular your referring to?

• Haha 1

HeavenSword
1 hour ago, Yihetuan said:

I didn’t have to think hard on this one 😆

2 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

I had to email 88 films, Blighty, just to see if Magic Cop was coming over on this side of the pond. I suppose I could have just asked on here or trawled through endless pages looking for the answer. 

Got the answer I was hoping for.

Edited by Yggdrasil
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, lilmanjs said:

Figured this would be posted already.

FB_IMG_1680649615491.jpg

Pre-ordered it a few weeks ago at Amazon. I originally wanted the individual UK releases of each installment (I have part 4 though) but 88's boxset just looks better overall.

• Like 3

Evening all, not posted here for a while ( day job work has been utterly insane recently ) But I managed to make a new unboxing video today for 88's upcoming release of In the Of Duty I-IV.. Here it be..

• Like 7

1 hour ago, LiuYiLong said:

Evening all, not posted here for a while ( day job work has been utterly insane recently ) But I managed to make a new unboxing video today for 88's upcoming release of In the Of Duty I-IV.. Here it be..

Well, that's a bummer. I went for the Eureka version. Box art does look mint though.

3 minutes ago, Yggdrasil said:

Well, that's a bummer. I went for the Eureka version. Box art does look mint though.

You get extra commentary tracks on the Eureka versions though!

I went with the box for the art yes, but mainly as it was cheaper and I'm Scottish, so therefore, skinflint :)

• Like 1

I'm more skint now this year having got back into martial art flicks.

I suppose the commentary more than makes up for it too.

Edited by Yggdrasil
  • Like 1

Darth Kermit
1 hour ago, LiuYiLong said:

You get extra commentary tracks on the Eureka versions though!

Who's on the Eureka exclusive commentary tracks?

• Like 1

Darth Kermit

Was Twin Dragons a Miramax title in the UK? I'm wondering what the chances are we could see a boutique label release Zhang Yimou's Hero, which is also Miramax iirc. I was looking on br.com and it seems the latest blu-rays of Hero were released by Paramount, though I'm not sure if that means they obtained the rights or wwre just the publisher. Would kill for a good UHD release of that. Yimou's use of color deserves the HDR treatment.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TheMuffinMan656 said:

Was Twin Dragons a Miramax title in the UK? I'm wondering what the chances are we could see a boutique label release Zhang Yimou's Hero, which is also Miramax iirc. I was looking on br.com and it seems the latest blu-rays of Hero were released by Paramount, though I'm not sure if that means they obtained the rights or wwre just the publisher. Would kill for a good UHD release of that. Yimou's use of color deserves the HDR treatment.

ViacomCBS (Paramount) acquired 49% ownership of Miramax. That's why they put Hero out.

I'd love to see the director's cut get put out in a nice release in the US or UK. Even better if it was a 4K remaster. Importing the one from Korea is expensive.

Edited by bickle14
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, TheMuffinMan656 said:

It's a shame that another large corporate entity that cares little if nothing about these films acquired such a large stake of Miramax after the Weinstein fiasco.

• Like 3

On 4/6/2023 at 10:57 PM, bickle14 said:

Any opinions on the video quality or differences on Police Story 3 in comparison to Eureka's?

Apparently, 88 did their own restoration which is said to be more accurate with the film's original theatrical look.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Graysman said:

I think someone checked this and both looked identical apparently???

88's from what I know is correct aspect ratio, doesn't have splice marks and is more accurate to the theatrical color grading.

• Like 4

Hmm, looks like this is gonna be an upcoming title? The Eight Immortals Restaurant: The Untold Story (1993) is a movie they're asking for an original or similar poster that can be scanned in hi-res on social media.

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
14 minutes ago, lilmanjs said:

Hmm, looks like this is gonna be an upcoming title? The Eight Immortals Restaurant: The Untold Story (1993) is a movie they're asking for an original or similar poster that can be scanned in hi-res on social media.

Yep, confirmed along with cover art (by our own @KUNG FU BOB) back in February - 

• Like 2